Indian army gun Sight

What should be general issue Infantry rifle optics? i

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kshkumsin

Well was wondering what sights should be a must in indian infantry should use.Please post your comments.:cool2::cool2::namaste::namaste::p:p:thumb::thumb:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
A sight with wich you only see the eys of the bird and not the whole bird at 600 m..

Get me one !!!

kshkumsin

A telescopic sight, commonly called a scope, is a sighting device that is based on an optical refracting telescope. They are equipped with some form of graphic image pattern (a reticle) mounted in an optically appropriate position in their optical system to give an accurate aiming point. Telescopic sights are used with all types of systems that require accurate aiming but are most commonly found on firearms, particularly rifles

Telescopic sights have both advantages and disadvantages relative to iron sights. Standard doctrine with iron sights is to focus the eye on the front sight and align it with the resulting blur of the target and the rear sight; most shooters have difficulty doing this, as the eye tends to be drawn to the target, blurring both sights. Gun users over 30 years of age with keen eyesight will find it harder to keep the target, front sight element and rear sight element in focus well enough for aiming purposes, as human eyes gradually lose focusing flexibility with rising age, due to presbyopia. Telescopic sights allow the user to focus on both the crosshair and the target at the same time, as the lenses project the crosshair into the distance (50 m or yd for rimfire scopes, 100 m or yd more for centerfire calibers). This, combined with telescopic magnification, clarifies the target and makes it stand out against the background. The main disadvantage of magnification is that the area to either side of the target is obscured by the tube of the sight. The higher the magnification, the narrower the field of view in the sight, and the more area is hidden. Rapid fire target shooters use reflex sights, which have no magnification; this gives them the best field of view while maintaining the single focal plane of a telescopic sight. Telescopic sights are expensive and require additional training to align. Sight alignment with telescopic sights is a matter of making the field of vision circular to minimize parallax error. For maximum effective light-gathering and brightest image, the exit pupil should equal the diameter of the fully dilated iris of the human eye — about 7 mm, reducing with age.

kshkumsin

A red dot sight is a common classification[1] for a type of non-magnifying reflector (or reflex) sight for firearms that gives the user an aimpoint in the form of an illuminated red dot. A standard design uses a red light-emitting diode (LED) at the focus of collimating optics which generates a dot style illuminated reticle that stays in alignment with the weapon the sight is attached to regardless of eye position (nearly parallax free). They are considered to be fast acquisition and easy to use gun sights for target shooting, hunting, and in police and military applications.

Red dot sights place the target and the reticle on nearly the same optical plane, allowing a single point of focus. This makes them fast acquisition and easy to use sights, allowing the user to keep their attention on the field of view in front of them. They are common in speed shooting sports such as IPSC. Military units and police forces have also adopted them. Red dot sights are also popular among paintball and airsoft players for similar reasons.
Because there is no magnification, the shooter need not worry about parallax or eye relief. The long eye relief makes red dot sights appropriate for firearms with heavy recoil that might drive a conventional short eye relief telescopic sight into the shooter's eye. Since dot sights can be mounted at any distance from the shooter's eye with no issues of focus, military rifle mounts usually place the sight in any mechanically-convenient mounting position, such as the carrying handle of the M16 rifle, or on a rail system (typically a Picatinny rail) on top of the rifle. This leaves plenty of room for night vision equipment to be used with the red dot sight.

kshkumsin

The standard German Army versions of the G36 are equipped with a ZF 3x4° dual optical sight that combines a 3x magnified telescopic sight (with the main reticule designed for firing at 200 m and bullet drop compensation markings for: 200, 400, 600 and 800 m crosshairs and a range-finding scale) and an unmagnified reflex sight (calibrated for firing at 200 m) mounted on top of the telescopic sight.[2] The reflex sight is illuminated by ambient light during the day and uses battery powered illumination for use at night. Electric illumination is activated automatically by a built in photo sensor and can be manually activated to boost the brightness of the reticle in daytime low contrast situations

kshkumsin

Open sights (also known as "mini reflex sights" and "mini red dots") take advantage of the fact that the reflector sight's only optical element, the optical window, doesn't need any housing at all. This configuration consisting of a base with just the necessary reflective surface for collimating the reticle mounted on it. Due to their diminished profile, open sights do not usually accommodate filters and other accessory options typically supported by tube designs.

kshkumsin

Iron sights are a system of shaped alignment markers (usually metal) used as a sighting device to assist in the aiming of a device such as a firearm, crossbow, or telescope, and exclude the use of optics as in telescopic sights or reflector (reflex) sights.[1] Iron sights are typically composed of two component sights, formed by metal blades: a rear sight mounted perpendicular to the line of sight and consisting of some form of notch (open sight) or aperture (closed sight); and a front sight that is a post, bead, or ring. Civilian defensive, hunting, and police firearms usually feature open sights, while many military battle rifles employ aperture sights. On many firearms the rear sight is adjustable for elevation or windage.[2]

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Get me one in real

Not photoes and theory.... soldiers need the real one ... on the gun..

Any way are you one of the DREDOs ?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I voted iron sight because it is least vulnerable to damage.

Also because I am old and don't know about a lot of new technology.:truestory:

But when I was young I could hit a man-size silhouette at 600 m every time with the M-14 & iron sights.

Just braggin'.:)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
General Issue of any Infantry unit in any world is Iron Sight..

In Civilian Market, Iron sights are backup sights..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Actually we should discuss which should be best sight for our need. keeping in mind that should suit our situation and it should not incurred unnecessary in training and expensive sights which soldiers put it back on, because they fear that if it broke then they have to pay it out of their own pocket.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
If money is no bar, for $5000 My personal favourites...

TA31RMR: Trijicon ACOG 4x32 Scope
+
ATWS22: Trijicon Advanced Thermal Weapon Sight

+

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IMHO, For Soldiers the best thing could be a Small Reflex / red dot sight..

Its a small size, Open red dot sight that need no Batt to run and almost maintenance free & Most importantly it can be used with Iron sight on..

>>>>

One thing i found with closed red dot / reflex sight that you have to look into the tube to see the dot hence slow reaction but with open its fast..

The only draw back of open sight is that its small glass have no mesh protection, unless there is that i dont know..

I feel that this reflex sight can survive harsh treatments ..

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=RMR

===============================

Comments, Sir..

Actually we should discuss which should be best sight for our need. keeping in mind that should suit our situation and it should not incurred unnecessary in training and expensive sights which soldiers put it back on

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Actually we should discuss which should be best sight for our need. keeping in mind that should suit our situation and it should not incurred unnecessary in training and expensive sights which soldiers put it back on, because they fear that if it broke then they have to pay it out of their own pocket.
IMHO Price would not be permissible except for SF. MoD cannot allocate:

Reflex/Red Dot for general Infantry @ $100-500 each

ACOG for Marksmen @ $700-2000 each

Clip-on Flip-off Thermal sights for Infantry & Marksmen @ 1500-2500 each

Telescopic Thermal for snipers @ $1500-5000 each

So IMHO our poor Infantry would have to stick to Iron Sights :sad:

abingdonboy

Country flag
General Issue of any Infantry unit in any world is Iron Sight..

In Civilian Market, Iron sights are backup sights..

@Kunal Biswas this isn't true sir. Most modern/Western armies have red dot/reflex sights as standard on their standard issue rifles now for their entire infantry. Look at the US,Germans and UK for example.

India has been left behind in this regard and I hope the F-INSAS will get India on par with these militaries.

My vote would be for a dual purpose sight but the prohibiting factor is naturally COST. For the IA any roll-out for its entire force is going to cost a bomb and if you couple it with brand new rifles then the IA is going to have to shell out A LOT.

+ wrt this topic I am reminded of this pic:
VK Singh visiting an OPERATIONAL unit 1-2 years back.

i wonder what's the story behind the sight and the implementation of it in the IA.

+ IIRC the RR had a tender for Red Dot sights for their AKs- I've seen a few pics of such in service with RR but looking at pics in JK it doesn't look as though RDS are standard for RR yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
This is the scope which will go on Italy's soldato futuro program (similar to F-INSAS) on top of the ARX-160

Global Defence

New threads

Articles