Indian Army for better frontline infrastructure

Blood+

Country flag
@Ray sir,what kind of defensive fortifications are at place on the peaks of the Saltoro ridge??I mean there is virtually no local material that can be used to build permanent structures and there are no roads connecting that place with rest of the country.So again sir,what sort of materials have been used to build the fortification up there and how were the materials transported??Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Ray sir,what kind of defensive fortifications are at place on the peaks of the Saltoro ridge??I mean there is virtually no local material that can be used to build permanent structures and there are no roads connecting that place with rest of the country.So again sir,what sort of materials have been used to build the fortification up there and how were the materials transported??Thanks in advance.
Concrete bunkers are the norm all over the LC.

The material is lugged up, manpack to the heights and construction is done in situ.

Blood+

Country flag
Concrete bunkers are the norm all over the LC.

The material is lugged up, manpack to the heights and construction is done in situ.

Damn!!That means soldiers have to carry all those materials from base-camp right up to the Saltoro ranges,traversing the whole swath of the Siachen glacier!!That's some Herculean task they have done.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its better than never, Life get tougher if such measure are not taken, Their are mules and other transportation for such task ..

Damn!!That means soldiers have to carry all those materials from base-camp right up to the Saltoro ranges,traversing the whole swath of the Siachen glacier!!That's some Herculean task they have done.

Blood+

Country flag
Its better than never, Life get tougher if such measure are not taken, Their are mules and other transportation for such task ..

Of course.But this can not even be classified as a sanghar,this is more like a foxhole.And correct me if I'm wrong,I think mules can not survive in such extreme cold climate on Siachen.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Like fuel for vehicles, Mules work on large quantity of 'RUM' it keeps them operational as well as men ..

Of course.But this can not even be classified as a sanghar,this is more like a foxhole.And correct me if I'm wrong,I think mules can not survive in such extreme cold climate on Siachen.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Regarding Mobile Metal Pill-Boxes ..

==============

It is a interesting read, But i not saying the same design, But a economical, Light weighted, 2-4 men Metal Pill box with portholes for firing their AR, which can be carried under Dhruv and 7 ton Trucks in IA ..

----

Sir, I am not able to find Indian made system at the moment, Please post their pictures and links if you can ..

Thank you ..

prefab metal bunkers should be better, may be even air lifted to this spot.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The photo appears to be of some high trajectory weapon emplacement since it is round.

That apart, Mules cannot climb icewalls.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
prefab metal bunkers should be better, may be even air lifted to this spot.
What will be the weight?

Which helicopter will be able to lift that weight?

And which helicopter can fly at those heights and be stable with weight?

I have flown by helicopters at those heights and the herculean effort that is put in by the pilots keep the helicopter level and steady is worth seeing.

It shudders like as if one is in an medium earthquake.

Blood+

Country flag
@Ray sir,can a standard concrete pillbox withstand hits from artillery shells,for example,say an 155mm shell??And by the way,I had always wanted to know how do you suppress the pillboxes fitted with emplaced automatic weapons??Because from what I have heard,they built in a way to be able to provide overlapping field of fire to each other.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Ray sir,can a standard concrete pillbox withstand hits from artillery shells,for example,say an 155mm shell??And by the way,I had always wanted to know how do you suppress the pillboxes fitted with emplaced automatic weapons??Because from what I have heard,they built in a way to be able to provide overlapping field of fire to each other.
I would not be able to say about 155, but I had done a trial on mediums as available in 1972.

Yes all automatic direct firing weapons, be they in bunkers or in trenches, are so sited that there is mutually supporting.

And all dips or folds in the ground that are avoidable by direct firing weapons are covered by indirect high trajectory weapons.

Blood+

Country flag
I would not be able to say about 155, but I had done a trial on mediums as available in 1972.

Yes all automatic direct firing weapons, be they in bunkers or in trenches, are so sited that there is mutually supporting.

And all dips or folds in the ground that are avoidable by direct firing weapons are covered by indirect high trajectory weapons.

So no matter what,trying to take one such position from the enemy would always be too dam costly in men and materiel.Then why these days many people are heard saying that "static defences are things of past and obsolete these days"??any particular reason behind that??

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So no matter what,trying to take one such position from the enemy would always be too dam costly in men and materiel.Then why these days many people are heard saying that "static defences are things of past and obsolete these days"??any particular reason behind that??
Static defences are not a thing of the past.

What they meant was the Siegried Line and the Maginot Line.

Siegfried Line

Map of the principal fortified section of the Maginot Line

The fortification system could taken on direct attacks but it was strategically ineffective. Te Germans invaded through Belgium, outflanking the Maginot Line.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles