Indian Army Field Bike Aka DR.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
btw, this is he bike that IA should be riding. The KTM EXC250. The best 2 stroke offroader ever built. The best offroader ever built. Forget deserts, if you are up for it, it will take half way up the everest.

Today Bajaj owns KTM. Almost all of it. No better time for IA to strike a deal with them.
Kitan Deti Hai ?

trackwhack

Kitan Deti Hai ?
Not less than 25 km/l but wait ...

Modern two strokes are very efficient. This lil beauty produces 55 bhp peak power, will run anywhere you want.

Here is a write up from Wiki

Since the major rule changes in Motocross to make 4-stroke bikes more competitive in motocross and being given a 125 cc 2-stroke to 250 cc 4-stroke advantage the cheaper, simpler 2-stroke bikes have been dying out.
Since other manufacturers have decided to discontinue their 2-stroke models, KTM has continued with creating and improving their 2-stroke models and taking up a very high proportion of the 2-stroke bike market.
KTM has also created a new 2-stroke MX bike with 144 cc to comply with the 2008 AMA motocross class changes. This change has been made to bring back the 2-stroke bikes to encourage more entry to the market as the 2-stroke bikes are cheaper to maintain and repair than the expensive 4-stroke bikes.
Environmental agencies have tried to remove 2-stroke machines because they produce more pollution than 4-strokes. However with newer advances in technology 2-strokes have begun to burn cleaner and pass stricter green standards.
In recent interviews KTM has revealed that they will continue to produce and improve 2-stroke bikes and have already begun looking at DFI (Direct Fuel Injection).[citation needed] A DFI fuel induction system injects fuel at high pressure, over 100 bars (1,500 psi) into the combustion chamber, after the piston has closed the exhaust port. This eliminates almost any unburnt fuel escaping the combustion process and entering the atmosphere.
In 2011 KTM changed the look of their two-strokes, and in 2012 they re-introduced linkage suspension (KTM dropped linkage suspension in favor of their PDS system in 1998), on the SX and XC models.
There are equallly good bikes that Yamaha and Honda makes with their YZ and CR series but the KTM is right now on its way to becoming an Indian company. We are also talking private participation in defence deals. So the choice is made simple.

Zebra

Country flag
What about this one.....

If I am not wrong, BMW launched it in mid 80s also, with a JV with BGL (Bharat Gears Ltd.) a bike with a 650cc engine and shaft drive.....
It was a R series bike and the look was something like Paris Dakar bike......

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
^^ you mean the BMW sold in India?
if yes, it was the Funduro 650 single cyl, chain final drive.

some thing like this

it was a kinda adventure tourer good for long tours in unpaved roads that were everywhere during that time.

Zebra

Country flag
@ Payeng, Funduro 650 single was introduced in 1993 and it is not a R series bike.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Found it the model sold in India.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
@ Payeng, Funduro 650 single was introduced in 1993 and it is not a R series bike.
I dont have any idea of the above mentioned naked styled boxster layout BMW being introduced in India.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Even in ancient India where were better scopes....
the Japani Rajdoot 350

or the Bajaj sx-100 the desi Enduro

Blackwater

Can anybody post any bike apart from bullet Indian army uses:laugh::laugh:

Blackwater

These are not Indian army, may be CRPF or local police tackling maoist.

can any body has indian army pics using bikes other than bullet:shocked::shocked:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
^^^ LOL that cycle belongs to some foreign nation cyclist who happened to pass through the valley, Blackwater ko mamu bana deya :bounce: :laugh::rotfl::rotflmao::finger::rock::hurray:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The word 'Desert' would not encompass all types of desert surface.

Both are images of the Thar Desert.

The surface is different.

There are two types of surface basically - the hard and the soft.

In the soft sands even 4 x 4 vehicles get stuck.

That is why if one has noticed carefully, some trucks have winches in front on top of the bumper to pull out vehicles that are stuck. Most of these vehicles are with the Artillery.

The basic cargo version is also used as an artillery tractor for calibers up to 152 mm. Most versions carry a self-recovery winch and add-on extras include snow ploughs and a dozer blade for clearing obstacles. One special engineer version carries a large crane and a dozer blade. A tyre pressure regulation system may be fitted. The Tatra T815 has been exported and the 6x6 version is license-produced in India; the 8x8 version is used by the Indian Army.

Motor Cycles are not used in the deserts since they cannot move as is expected.

MC are used as Despatch Riders. There are other subsidiary use also such as sheparding convoys etc.

ashicjose

Last edited:

hitesh

apart from bullet & enfield bikes i have seen CD dawan bikes with in IA ,it has good mileage (70 kmpl approx) with a 99cc engine

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
btw, this is he bike that IA should be riding. The KTM EXC250. The best 2 stroke offroader ever built. The best offroader ever built. Forget deserts, if you are up for it, it will take half way up the everest.Today Bajaj owns KTM. Almost all of it. No better time for IA to strike a deal with them.
Army use bullet coz its iconic but now days many CD-100 delux are in use mainly coz of mileage..

Kunal, do you have any idea if these bikes are ever retired and auctioned off. I would love to get my hands on one of these. The setup looks kickass, I dont care about the engine (though I hope they are 2 strokes) as I can put something else in there but this looks very promising.
I think there are many Bullets are off in army, i never planed to get one though i will find some info and will PM you..

trackwhack

Army use bullet coz its iconic but now days many CD-100 delux are in use mainly coz of mileage..

I think there are many Bullets are off in army, i never planed to get one though i will find some info and will PM you..
Thank you sir, not interested in bullets, but very interested in the other bike deer. Any info is welcome.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles