Indian Army Artillery

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
AFAIK, the barrel for both is made by OFB. Rest of the subsystems are all different. Kalyani uses more imported content (APU, etc is imported). TATA uses Indian APU. Not sure but from what I remember, TATA ATAGS does not have auto-loader.

So autofrettage happens in Kanpur OFB?

Bharat Forge makes the barrels. ARDE transferred that to BF.

The ordnance including barrel and breech mechanism, on both variants of ATAGS, is developed at Kalyani Group Advanced Artillery Manufacturing Facility.

https://defenceaviationpost.com/mak...king-world-record-firing-48-km-range-pokhran/

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Bharat Forge makes the barrels. ARDE transferred that to BF.

The ordnance including barrel and breech mechanism, on both variants of ATAGS, is developed at Kalyani Group Advanced Artillery Manufacturing Facility.

https://defenceaviationpost.com/mak...king-world-record-firing-48-km-range-pokhran/
This is good news. Now OFB can focus on making Dhanush barrels and ATAGS can be made entirely by Kalyani Group. Faster induction. Looks like TATA is already out of the race for ATAGS here.

Pandeyji

Country flag
AFAIK, the barrel for both is made by OFB. Rest of the subsystems are all different. Kalyani uses more imported content (APU, etc is imported). TATA uses Indian APU. Not sure but from what I remember, TATA ATAGS does not have auto-loader.
AFAIK both the guns are same. The production is given to both companies to develop MIC culture & capabilities. Same has been proposed for IFV too.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
AFAIK both the guns are same. The production is given to both companies to develop MIC culture & capabilities. Same has been proposed for IFV too.
APU, autoloader etc are all different. Look at the guns closely:-

Pandeyji

Country flag
APU, autoloader etc are all different. Look at the guns closely:-

TIL.
Thanks, I never noticed it before. I guess that any changes & improvements would be Kalyani initiative (the TATA innovative spirit has been damped ever since Cyrus Mistry).

Trololo

Country flag

In that case after limited series order of 40, Tata and Kalyani can combine their indigenous contents together into the gun and manufacture together.

Arihant Roy

Country flag

Yep Most probably at Field Gun Factory Kanpur.

lcafanboy

Country flag
This is good news. Now OFB can focus on making Dhanush barrels and ATAGS can be made entirely by Kalyani Group. Faster induction. Looks like TATA is already out of the race for ATAGS here.
Kalyani Steel has capacity to deliver 1 barrel per day..........:)

So if we have capacity we can actually make 365 howitzers in a year....... if OFB, Kalyani Steel, & Tata all start churning out howitzers we can actually clear shortage of howitzers within 5 years........& earn some decent FOREX by exporting a few to friendly countries..........:)

BTW a few should be exported to Afghanistan immediately so they can Roast a few Porks on their border and make life HELL for Porki Army on that border too...........:biggrin2:

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz

So if we have capacity we can actually make 365 howitzers in a year....... if OFB, Kalyani Steel, & Tata all start churning out howitzers we can actually clear shortage of howitzers within 5 years........& earn some decent FOREX by exporting a few to friendly countries..........:)

BTW a few should be exported to Afghanistan immediately so they can Roast a few Porks on their border and make life HELL for Porki Army on that border too...........:biggrin2:
Why aren't we doing it tho
If we can use our resources with efficiency we can't turn our country into a military juggernaut
:balleballe:

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
BTW a few should be exported to Afghanistan immediately so they can Roast a few Porks on their border and make life HELL for Porki Army on that border too
Otherwise we can give our BM-21 Grad which is going to be replaced by the Pinaka.
They have a range of 40+km.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Don't mind me saying this............... 1 barrel per day, that too for howitzer, is only possible in certain circumstances. Even the leading forger would agree with this.

lcafanboy

Country flag
Don't mind me saying this............... 1 barrel per day, that too for howitzer, is only possible in certain circumstances. Even the leading forger would agree with this.
Baba Kalyani himself confirmed this in an interview with CNBC and also shown the facility and machines to prove it.

During Kargil war Kalyani steel delivered 100000 155mm shell to OFBs whereas OFBs were able to make just 7000 only.

Tanmay

Country flag
E
Baba Kalyani himself confirmed this in an interview with CNBC and also shown the facility and machines to prove it.

During Kargil war Kalyani steel delivered 100000 155mm shell to OFBs whereas OFBs were able to make just 7000 only.
Even if it's one barrel per day, the ATAGS needs other components like batteries ,servos, wheels , displays , electronics and mechanical components.
No manufacturers produces them at rate of 1 per day. Kalyani won't transport 1 barrel per day in Omni van to the assembly line. :p

Work is done Rather in batches. I dont know which assembly line churns out one entire gun a day :p
There is peak efficiency and sustainable efficiency at work.

Pandeyji

Country flag
Well, the production has not been asked yet. So all this is hand waving.
But during world war 2 time larger rates were achieved by the allied forces (read USA). I'd like to believe we can do atleast one a day if required especially since Baba Kalyani said it.
I for one think that one per day is more of a peak efficiency & not sustainable in long term. The sustainable rate would be one gun every 3-4 days (I would love to be proved wrong though esp. with actions)

cyclops

Country flag

Why does OFB even exist......:yawn:

Galaxy 7

Where is the source to your tall claim?

indiatester

Country flag
Where is the source to your tall claim?
Google is your friend.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...y-with-advanced-guns/articleshow/42208343.cms

At the urging of army commanders, the defence ministry turns to Baba Kalyani and his company Bharat Forge to make shells for its Bofors 155mm howitzers. Kalyani, chairman of the Bharat Forge Group, recalls how the company got the "emergency order" to make 1 lakh shells. That's how the company's ability to turn out high-quality products at short notice, which helped burnish its global reputation in the auto parts industry, came to play a role in history.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles