Indian Army Artillery

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
@Adioz

It is my understanding that armoured divisions are not stand alone but are a part of Strike Corps and thus are covered by 40th & 41st artillery divisions. Strike Corps are offensive but slow moving units so the required support most likely comes from towed arty units.
I thought the Arty divisions were Command assets. The Armoured Divisions are indeed part of the Strike Corps. From what I know, Arty Divs have Rocket arty units, Composite Missile Units and Tube arty. I had no idea SPGs were part of that mix. But does this mean that the Strike corps have no integral artillery support and rely solely on the Arty Divisions (which are a command asset and not attached to the Strike Corps per se)?

On the Strike Corps though, from what I remember, they are slow to mobilise, but once mobilised, they are meant to use Blitzkrieg-like swift maneuvers on the other side of the international border. Keeping that in mind, I would think that Strike corps should be the prime recipients of SPGs. If the Strike Corps themselves are slow, then we are fuk'd 'cause the holding corps are supposed to be slower than the Strike Corps.

But all this was under the Sunderji doctrine right? We don't know what exactly the Army has planned under the Cold Start Doctrine. All I know is that the Army is working on a concept called "Integrated Divisional Battlegroups". And now there are talks of a new doctrine to be released this week, still waiting for news on that one.

Willy2

these Artillery guns will be fully capable to fire Tactical Nuclear Artillery shell such as W48 or Soviet equivalent ZBV3 etc
Nuclear Artillery ??? we really have these ?? AFAIK , IA did't go for NASR like short ballistic missile is because as per Indian doctrine these is no chance of limited nuclear exchange , even small nuclear blast can lead to massive retaliation from both side , so why do our army want to keep these 40-50 km range nuclear artillery ??

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Nuclear Artillery ??? we really have these ??
I don't know if we have these or will have but it's an important requirement in thses recent Arty procurement according to the Gen himself.

In any case big part of our nuclear program successfully masked by our Space program.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I don't know if we have these or will have but it's an important requirement in thses recent Arty procurement according to the Gen himself.
Much depends on our access to plutonium & type of implosion we are going to design.

For Plutonium, we can now obtain it from Thorium while, for case of blast type,
Swan or spherical implosion device may be more efficient to make without testing over linear implosion based device.

Regarding this miniaturization mess, I once posted about Indian Torpedo testing facility in Kyrgyzstan where nuclear tipped torpedoes could be designed (or rumoured). But a nuclear artillery doesn't suite our doctrine at first place.

sthf

Country flag
@Adioz Dude now even I am confused. Will get back to you after researching this thing a bit.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Nuclear Artillery ??? we really have these ?? AFAIK , IA did't go for NASR like short ballistic missile is because as per Indian doctrine these is no chance of limited nuclear exchange , even small nuclear blast can lead to massive retaliation from both side , so why do our army want to keep these 40-50 km range nuclear artillery ??
I too am not sure how TNWs fit in our official nuclear doctrine. Maybe as a weapon of last resort against advancing China or to retaliate against Paki TNWs. Military planners always prepare for any unlikely scenario. Right now our focus is (must be) on MIRVed/MARVed hydrogen warhead with damage in MT.

Regardless of doctrine, GOI is known to work on miniaturisation for decades. We have made some good theoretical progress. There were reports about testing designs on supercomputers based on P2 data. Our ability to really produce such weapons depend on our stockpile of highly enriched weapons grade plutonium. There are no clear sources that reveal our enrichment capacity or stockpile only some shady estimations. Our programme is under heavy secrecy with very little or no info available. This prevents any unnecessary international attention and also the reason why Pak is jumping like monkey to boast about their nuke power.

Now coming to nuclear artillery both NATO and our old friend Russia are known to have it at various times. Even though we are not known to officially have any such doctrine there might be some unofficial surprises. If you watch vid from my previous comment than it is clear that our retired general sitting on a GOI TV channel speaking so casually about TNW shells should definitely make some heads spin.

Last edited:

gurjinderseo325

Today we need to make us defensible because whole the world is being stronger so now we urgent need for more accessory for self defence

Country flag
I don't understand why DRDO is always sleeping over- No program for developing rocket artillery like this-

Soon India would be begging US for this and be willing to pay a fat sum under FMS for a downgraded version of this-

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There should be a requirement given to R&D organization to commence work, If they don`t issue there need then their won`t be any development ..

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There should be a requirement given to R&D organization to commence work, If they don`t issue there need then their won`t be any development ..
Is there a concept of 15-20 Perspective plan for future (R&D) requirements, similar to perspective procurement plan?

Country flag
This the problem Sir- they wait for fire then dig the well- and by the time well is dug there is no fire on ground but fire on top of building- they they start making a pumping motor- and the idiocy continues-

Countries like USA have DAPRA who don't wait for requirements or order- they plan projects with future in mind- a Research and Development agency should act similarly and not like contractor-

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I don`t have much information regarding the matter ..

================

Indian system does not operate like that, We depend on outside influence rather inside innovations ..

Excalibur cleared its trails back in 2006, It went through re-trails in late 2015 and still no induction but still in user trials, Similarly Dhanush was ready back in 2012 but its trails started at mid 2016 and still not mass produced.

Is there a concept of 15-20 Perspective plan for future (R&D) requirements, similar to perspective procurement plan?
Countries like USA have DAPRA who don't wait for requirements or order- they plan projects with future in mind- a Research and Development agency should act similarly and not like contractor-

Country flag
I don`t have much information regarding the matter ..

================

Indian system does not operate like that, We depend on outside influence rather inside innovations ..

Excalibur cleared its trails back in 2006, It went through re-trails in late 2015 and still no induction but still in user trials, Similarly Dhanush was ready back in 2012 but its trails started at mid 2016 and still not mass produced.
We have some serious problem with defense R&D and procurement- No wonder forces are left dry and hanging when the time comes reckoning- like we have now-

Country flag
Indian gun is 22cal length and muzzle velocity is half of what G7 has- Does OFB has any plans for upgrading IFH 105mm to 52 cal ?

Should private company consulted on this- It could prove very handy with M777 in future-

Also there is advance version of M777 planned called M777ER with 52 cal instead of 37 on original version with weight reduction of 450kg from original M777- Now that British are looking to expand their market in India post Brexit we should use this opportunity for joint development-

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
We have some serious problem with defense R&D and procurement- No wonder forces are left dry and hanging when the time comes reckoning- like we have now-
I'm sure this will happen in near future. let private defence industries get a slightly larger foot hold, they themselves will push MoD For a R&D Policy. Right now the focus is on manufacturing.

Near future is 5-10 years.

kstriya

Country flag
I don't understand why DRDO is always sleeping over- No program for developing rocket artillery like this-

Soon India would be begging US for this and be willing to pay a fat sum under FMS for a downgraded version of this-
The technology for SDB is very useful in fighter aircrafts with multiple ejection rack a small bird like LCA can become a bomber loaded SDB with HE. I think we have all the technology, as @Kunal Biswas sir said once we have a requirement from the forces this can be envisaged. Hope they have some influence from the video shown.

Country flag
I'm sure this will happen in near future. let private defence industries get a slightly larger foot hold, they themselves will push MoD For a R&D Policy. Right now the focus is on manufacturing.

Near future is 5-10 years.
Until Defense R&D and manufacturing are seen as means of Job creation and economic development nothing will happen-

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles