Indian Army Artillery

Alok Arya

Country flag
My only objection. It is okay to take pride in your achievements. But when we make sweeping statements like 'it is light years ahead of its' western counterparts' and so on we lose credibility and are being dis-genuine.

It is as good a gun as they come, no doubt about it.

You're changing the goalpost here buddy. The fact that ATAGS can move around isn't the point. Being a towed artillery one would expect it to move around. The point was the ease with which M777 can be deployed.

Well although I'm Indian, I'm a British national so thank for following rule no. 16 and making me feel welcome. :)

I didn't ask you to reproduce the whole debate, bullet-points would have been just fine. But, no worries I'll look around to see the 'light years' difference.
Range depends on combustion chamber capacity , ability of barrel to sustain temperature and its caliber, type of ammunition used etc etc . Weight depends on many factor . Please read post below , from the remark light year ahead . You will get ans . If you are not expert then almost all defence enthusiasts get this or other kind of problem . Moderators remark is not from thin air , he say so after comparing almost all system available in open .

indiatester

Country flag
I agree that the accuracy is not good 35 m(some thing better than nothing) because it will be difficult to destroy the gun with 35m accuracy in location pulse some error in the gun firing.... so the chances of enemy artillery seem to be high.

we may not be able to destroy the gun in first go...
When you are taking out a battery, won't you saturate that area? Surely you won't file a single shell.
Also shell have reasonable kill radius. Even light mortars have ~50mtr kill radius. While it may not damage the gun, but the gunners would be gone.
Am not a military guy, so kindly excuse and correct monstrous mistakes.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We have honorable members, for them point no 16 applies.

You should read the rest and follow them strictly.

=========

Let dissect your activity here in this very thread, you quoted my post no #2988 but you have turned a blind eye on post no #3039. Where i have provided every fact to support my claim Including the answer to your question which you are repeating again on purpose, When counter by other members you are putting an argument of 'changing goal posts'.

We don`t allow such trolling behavior which with the intent of provoking other members this further allow derailment of thread, Take some time off and think about it ..

My only objection. It is okay to take pride in your achievements. But when we make sweeping statements like 'it is light years ahead of its' western counterparts' and so on we lose credibility and are being dis-genuine.

It is as good a gun as they come, no doubt about it.

You're changing the goalpost here buddy. The fact that ATAGS can move around isn't the point. Being a towed artillery one would expect it to move around. The point was the ease with which M777 can be deployed.

Well although I'm Indian, I'm a British national so thank for following rule no. 16 and making me feel welcome. :)

I didn't ask you to reproduce the whole debate, bullet-points would have been just fine. But, no worries I'll look around to see the 'light years' difference.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Indian WLR is better than present American AN/TPQ-36 WLR which is in service in low quantity, Americans refused to sell better AN/TPQ-37 WLR which was comparable to our Swasti now. Those AN/TPQ-37 WLR were sold to Pakistan instead and were used against us during Kargil war, And we had casualties ..

Today we made our own WLR call Swasti which is better or same to American counterpart AN/TPQ-37 WLR, Swasti is Indian in origin and cheaper so does can be produced in thousands and further can be modified as per need, Unlike imported designs ..

=========

35meters is good if not the best as a single 155mm shell has a effective blast radius of 30ms and if we count on shrapnel its more like 50ms, This is same for 120mm mortars and 80mm mortars as shrapnel distribution is same for latter both, If they are air-burst then the effect is much better, Its impossible to stay undamaged in that close proximity of such accurate fire, For example of a battery fire against a simulated enemy target >>.

Its not just the sheer explosion that cause damage but flying shrapnel are equally deadly and damaging for gunners and their guns ..

==========

But WLR used in counter battery, This consist of many guns against a single point of enemy,

I agree that the accuracy is not good 35 m(some thing better than nothing) because it will be difficult to destroy the gun with 35m accuracy in location pulse some error in the gun firing.... so the chances of enemy artillery seem to be high.

we may not be able to destroy the gun in first go...

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
The Indian WLR is better than present American AN/TPQ-36 WLR which is in service in low quantity, Americans refused to sell better AN/TPQ-37 WLR which was comparable to our Swasti now. Those AN/TPQ-37 WLR were sold to Pakistan instead and were used against us during Kargil war, And we had casualties ..

Today we made our own WLR call Swasti which is better or same to American counterpart AN/TPQ-37 WLR, Swasti is Indian in origin and cheaper so does can be produced in thousands and further can be modified as per need, Unlike imported designs ..

=========

35meters is good if not the best as a single 155mm shell has a effective blast radius of 30ms and if we count on shrapnel its more like 50ms, This is same for 120mm mortars and 80mm mortars as shrapnel distribution is same for latter both, If they are air-burst then the effect is much better, Its impossible to stay undamaged in that close proximity of such accurate fire, For example of a battery fire against a simulated enemy target >>.

Its not just the sheer explosion that cause damage but flying shrapnel are equally deadly and damaging for gunners and their guns ..

==========

But WLR used in counter battery, This consist of many guns against a single point of enemy,

India has 12 - 20 AN/ TPQ 37 not AN TPQ 36 which is in service with Pakis along with a Chinese variant.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Before Kargil war, We don`t had AN/TPQ37 but very few AN/TPQ36 without spares to run them, but Pakistan had AN/TPQ37 active during Kargil, source from Kargil war but cannot find it at the moment ..

Though, I didn`t knew we had AN/TPQ37 ..

===================

It is learnt that India was looking to purchase the American ANTPQ 36/37 weapon-locating radar system before the nuclear tests in 1998. However, this was withheld following the imposition of sanctions after the tests. Subsequently, efforts to acquire such a system intensified after the high rate of casualties in Kargil.

Following the U.S. sanctions, India was forced to look at the dated Ukrainian IL-220 system. With hardly any choice at hand, the Army began considering ways of improvising it to meet the Indian needs. The urgency to procure such a system for the Army was further fuelled by the fact that Pakistan already has a few U.S.-made ANTPQ 36/37 radars.
Now with the lifting of sanctions, officials say India could go for the best weapon-locating radar system said to be available with the U.S. The latest being the upgraded ANTPQ-47 radar system that can detect guns firing from a distance of more than 30 km. Germany has brought out a similar system called Cobra. This, too, could now become available for trial for the Indian Army.

While concurring with the possibility of acquiring the best possible weapon-locating radar, the Commandant of the School of Artillery, Lt. Gen. Avtar Singh, said,

``Though such hopes have been raised, one will have to wait and see how the lifting of sanctions will translate on the ground. It is too soon to say anything now.''
Source : http://www.thehindu.com/2001/09/29/stories/02290005.htm

India has 12 - 20 AN/ TPQ 37 not AN TPQ 36 which is in service with Pakis along with a Chinese variant.

Bornubus

mikhail

Country flag

60s Artillery system 122mm D30 at display ..
Sir,did we retire all our D-30 guns last year??If so then what happened to those regiments that were equipped with those guns??
Plus,why the sudden urge to retire these guns??I means Pakis are still using the Chini Type-54(which in turn is a vintage copy of the Soviet WW-II M-1938 122 mm gun)!!

AbRaj

Country flag
We need only sit on Bhikiwind-Amritsar axis and neutralise any Porki attempt at establishing a defensive line between Lahore and International border as our infantry advances on Lahore cantt-. The distances involved are very MRSI friendly.:)
Is there any plan for Truck mounted artillery procurement???

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
D30 are placed in reserved units, They are not complete retired unless they are very old and unusable ..

Sir,did we retire all our D-30 guns last year??If so then what happened to those regiments that were equipped with those guns??
Plus,why the sudden urge to retire these guns??I means Pakis are still using the Chini Type-54(which in turn is a vintage copy of the Soviet WW-II M-1938 122 mm gun)!!

Bornubus

Army gets indigenous weapon locating radar

The Army on Thursday received an indigenous weapon locating radar (WLR), named Swati, from the DRDO. The organisation also handed over a Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) recce vehicle and NBC treatment drugs to the Army.

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said the export potential (of the WLR) would be explored only after the Army’s requirement is fulfilled.

“You know Swati has done its job well when the LoC is devoid of any heavy artillery,” he observed.

Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat called the system a success. “It is being used extensively along the LoC by us,” he stated.

Swati has a range of 50 km, which brings all artillery guns presently in service worldwide under coverage. Four systems are currently in operation and another 30 are on order for the Army.

Talking about the capability of the system, a senior Defence official said that it was pressed into service along the LoC last year. The WLR played a major role in suppressing their [Pakistani] fire, he added.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/army-gets-indigenous-weapon-locating-radar/article17392500.ece

I've read somewhere that Parrikar disclosed the numbers of these Radar (4) deployed over the LOC. This is very unprofessional compared with Army chief statement.

Next he will also tell the the sectors where these Radars are deployed lol

SilentKiller

Country flag
I've read somewhere that Parrikar disclosed the numbers of these Radar (4) deployed over the LOC. This is very unprofessional compared with Army chief statement.

What can we say..a minister being a minister.
better to play vote politics can to work as MoD

DivineHeretic

Country flag

The numbers should never be revealed. But as far as the locations are concerned, the radars, or for that matter any electromagnetic emissions generating equipment are re-positioned frequently, given the possibility of their locations being determined through simple triangulation.

Everytime the radar is switched on, the operator must assume his own location is being traced. You need three seperate receivers of the transmission to generate a rough triangulation of the location of emission source. We do this very often to detect and mark locations of Pakistani air defence radars, artillery locating radars using AWACS and/or ELINT systems including drones. Expect Pakistan to try something similar with our assets.

Bornubus

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their are plenty of outlets who are politically influenced are doing their part of disinformation ..

Take such news with pinch of salt ..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles