Indian Army Artillery

blueblood

I agree with you but will tell you how is it a slap...

Dhanush could be an exception but that too is not something out of the box.
Dude you are putting me in an awkward position, where I end up defending OFB. :crazy:

Neither Bharat 52 nor Dhanush is an Indian design but Dhanush is a much smarter system and its parent design proved itself well in Kargil which was the largest arty op since WW2.

Bharat-52/GHN-45/GC-45 whatever you want to call it has nothing on Dhanush and by default OFB.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Dude you are putting me in an awkward position, where I end up defending OFB. :crazy:.
I think I said nothing to make you feel that way.
Neither Bharat 52 nor Dhanush is an Indian design but Dhanush is a much smarter system and its parent design proved itself well in Kargil which was the largest arty op since WW2.
Yes what is stated is true
Bharat-52/GHN-45/GC-45 whatever you want to call it has nothing on Dhanush and by default OFB.
You are confusing yourself by thinking I am comparing them.
I am saying that Private sector has more zeal and ability to replicate/develop/design a product as compared to OFB.
I said Dhanush can be an exception.

Something that our OFB cannot do in years has been done(till some extent) by the private player who has no orders in hand.

I am Talking about the intention and willingness to work ... Which definitely lacks in our Govt sector units.

I hope now you will get my point

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Guys i know this is kinda rushed but i have a serving major of the IA(artillery)staying with me for the day. Pass me any questions you have, I'll try to get them answered before we're drunk.

Pulkit

Country flag
Guys i know this is kinda rushed but i have a serving major of the IA(artillery)staying with me for the day. Pass me any questions you have, I'll try to get them answered before we're drunk.
Questions:
1) Issues actually related to Arjun Tank MK1.
2) Army's Approach towards next Arjun?
3) What about Small Arms will they go with made in India?
4) What about Guns Artillery?
5) His Take on OROP?

These are the general question which anyone here on DFI will want to understand what Army Thinks about these?

sob

Mod
Country flag
He is from the Artillery Regiment, the first three questions really not up his alley.

SP, ask him about the performance of Pinaka and whether Dhanush is comparable to the Bofors guns in terms of quality.

Pulkit

Country flag
He is from the Artillery Regiment, the first three questions really not up his alley.

SP, ask him about the performance of Pinaka and whether Dhanush is comparable to the Bofors guns in terms of quality.
To be specific I wanted to know his take on Baba Kalyani Guns?

sob

Mod
Country flag
yes that would be an important one. However it seems that DRDO is not allowing it's facilities for trials. As per the last I had read.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
1)Arjun-he says that there is a major issue with sensors and electronics failing at real world conditions,apparently the failure of a few critical systems turns the Arjun into a dead duck. He's very appreciative of it's survivability.
2)OROP-Got many more years to serve so not thinking about pension yet.
3)Kalyani-Guns are still in evaluation,they're better than M-46 but still behind FH-77 where accuracy is concerned.
Interestingly he says the truck mounted tata shudders like crazy when fired.
4)Pinaka-Really good stuff,much much better than what we had before. However not widespread yet. Has tested it not used it in real world conditions.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

@bengalraider ask him

How's the performance of Msta S and Korean K9 Thunder.. How's the evaluation going ..who is performing good

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
one more any information of Zu 23 and L 70 Upgrade plans...

what about new AAA aka C RAM procurement ..please guide

Yumdoot

If the honoured Major finds faults with Arjun's sensors and electronics then I guess the respected Major should start worrying about OROP.

Because they are western and if western electronics look dangerous to these guys then only a VRS would look safer.

sob

Mod
Country flag
don't shoot your stuff before knowing the whole background.
The problem could be in the integration of the systems also.

blueblood

@bengalraider ,
  • Exact number of arty regiments sanctioned and their distribution i.e. light, medium, rocket etc.
  • Is there a possibility of any kind of increase in the aforementioned number?
  • Will Prahar find it's way in arty?
  • Is DRDO's WLR performance on par with AN/TPQ-36/37?
  • Why is IA ordering mere 100 tracked SPH which is very disproportionate to the size of the Armoured Corps?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Pulkit

Country flag
yes that would be an important one. However it seems that DRDO is not allowing it's facilities for trials. As per the last I had read.
Last what I read was they were permitted to get ammunition to start its testing.

1)Arjun-he says that there is a major issue with sensors and electronics failing at real world conditions,apparently the failure of a few critical systems turns the Arjun into a dead duck. He's very appreciative of it's survivability..
A debate which has taken place here in DFI many times is Is Arjun Better than T90 (Leaving aside Missile)?
2)OROP-Got many more years to serve so not thinking about pension yet.
Everyone is talking about it how many years of service he has
3)Kalyani-Guns are still in evaluation,they're better than M-46 but still behind FH-77 where accuracy is concerned.
Interestingly he says the truck mounted tata shudders like crazy when fired.
Nice to hear that...
4)Pinaka-Really good stuff,much much better than what we had before. However not widespread yet. Has tested it not used it in real world conditions.
What about progress on Pinaka 2
How good Smerch is leaving range aside?

Few more :
1) Any progress in the field of anti aircraft guns On ground
2) His take on Made in India?
3) Just to get a prospective of a defense person. What he thinks about Tejas and Rafale?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
His answers
SPG-Still in evaluation by team of instructors from Deolali, under tight wraps no information even with regular arty officers on the results.
AA Arty- not concerned, job of air defence boys.
WLR-Almost all Raytheon WLR replaced with BEL models,incremental increases in capacity have been done. Cannot give further details
No of regts-cannot speak about same ,its an official secret.
Pinaka 2-looking forward eagerly to get my hands on one, only handled tube arty so far.
LCA-Block 1 more like an advanced trainer/light attack jet.
Kalyani garuda/M777- not tried yet.

He however is quite concerned about the drop in officer like qualities among the new joiners in the forces,many new captains and lieutenants come from money and act the same.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles