Indian Army Armored Vehicles

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Published on Jan 23, 2017
India Today Television marks the entry of the nation’s most credible name in journalism - India Today into news television. Powered by a future-ready look and backed with the 40 year legacy of the India Today brand, the channel addresses the news consumption habits of an evolved digital-savvy audience while staying true to the journalistic principles of the India Today Group.

With a paradigm shift in terms of television workflows and technology, the channel sets a new benchmark with a differentiated look. Innovative content formats and multiple news updates on the TV screen give immediacy and choice to the news viewer.

Metty

what about the cost bhai, T-14 Armata is $4.3 Million & Arjun MK2 is $8.2 Million as per wiki or other sources.., but T-14 Armata looks like FMBT... Arjun MK3 or Desi FMBT is noway around now... but why has Arjun MBT cost gone too High?
Itne... saalo..
Se development ho raha hai...chahe natiza.. kuchh.

Na ho..
Par.. DRDo.
Ke Employees ka kharcha bhi... Arjun ki cost me jod... di gayi lagti hai.. :D :D :D

bhramos

Country flag
Gentlemen, does anyone have more info on this Tatra based beast?
DRDO's Prahar 510 Armored Vehicle

The Prahar–510 passes through the Rajpath during the full dress rehearsal for the Republic Day Parade-2011, in New Delhi on January 23, 2011. P D Photo by Viney Bhushan

never entered service, so no more info...

Last edited:

sthf

Country flag
I know it might be a dream but maybe someday IA will switch it's motorized infantry from stallions to MPVs.

It feels like IA is risking too much for too little.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Published on Mar 2, 2017
NationalDefence Bureau,
New Delhi, 02 March 2017
DRDO today handed over its NBC Vehicle, NBC drugs and Swati Weapon Locating Radar to Indian Army in presence of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar. A DRDO scientists explains how the NBC drugs it has developed can protect Indian Army and help in working in NBC environment.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
The BEL Weapon Locating Radar (WLR) is a mobile artillery locating phased array radar developed by India. This counter-battery radar is designed to detect and track incoming artillery and rocket fire to determine the point of origin for Counter-battery fire.

The WLR has been jointly developed by DRDO's Bangalore based laboratory, LRDE and the Government owned Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL). The sub-systems have been fabricated by BEL based on the DRDO designs and delivered to LRDE for integration

BrutusMarcus

Could I ask what versions of the T-72 are deployed at these high altitude locations next to the China border ?

The reason I ask is because I've been informed that they are mostly the older versions with the stock 700-800 odd horsepower engines. I see a serious defect if that's the case, especially in case of Soviet-era tanks; T-72's and all previous ones; except the T-80 and T-90's ofcourse. These older tanks use a rather obsolete drive system, where each drive sprocket on either side is powered by an individual gearbox, and that's why the have a fixed turning geometry for each gear selection, quite different from the modern hydro-mechanical gearboxes that gives you an infinite turning ratio at any speed selection. This setup, although simpler and cheaper, besides being easier to maintain, has a higher power loss to friction compared to hydro-mechanical drives, and considering that in any tank, disregarding the power-to-weight ratio on paper, the drive sprocket only ever sees 50% of the actual engine power, with the rest lost to friction and for driving all sorts of accessories like electric generators, hydraulic motors for the turrent, and the like.

Now, if it's the older versions of the T-72, and therefore driven by the stock 700-800hp superchargered engine, rather than Polish 1000hp turbocharged engine, then this superchargered engine is going to behave very much like a naturally aspirated engine and therefore, quite unlike a turbocharged engine, it's going to suffer from quite a bit of power-loss at those altitudes due to the lower air pressure and hence, rarified air; somewhere close to 20-25%. The power-loss is even more extreme in case of tanks, because despite the 25% powerloss, the power-lost to friction still remains the same, and the accessories too are still using up as much power as they did at lower altitudes, leaving only the remaining percentage of power to drive the sprockets. That means that now the drive sprocket receives a maximum of only somewhere around half the power that it receives at sea level, if not an even smaller percentage than that. So rather than receiving some 400hp from the 800hp motor, the drive sprockets now have to make do with a mere 200horses. This obstacle would really hinder the tank and could turn out to be a rather a costly flaw when it comes to high altitude tank warfare.

With a turbocharged engine, the powerloss would be much less dramatic, though the best suited motor for high altitude deployment would be a jet turbine, which would suffer with only a negligible power-loss, if any at all. If the Indian army is seriously thinking about a long-term/permanent deployment of tanks at these aptitudes, they should be consider investing into a specialized sub-type of these tanks, with a power-package and other assorted parts suited to run in higher altitudes and sub-zero temperatures.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The T-72M1 operating at high altitude are modified for operating there by Army itself in its own workshops ..

These Tanks get different grade of engine oil and other lube for operating in that specific terrain..

BrutusMarcus

The M1's are a different dimension altogether. They are upgraded to more powerful turbocharged engines, and therefore would suffer only negligible power-loss with altitude.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All T-72 Ajaya have ENGINE V46-6 which are up-rated very recently, T-72M1 modified are call Ajaya,The one operating at high altitude are Combat Improved Ajeya which have too same 780 hp engine which are uprated to 1000hp locally ..

The one you are referring are no longer in active service or been upgraded to Ajaya standard locally, Their are no tanks in IA any longer use imported engines rather licensed ones, Even ERA tiles ..

================

Source : http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/techfocus/2014/TF_April_2014_WEB.pdf

The M1's are a different dimension altogether. They are upgraded to more powerful turbocharged engines, and therefore would suffer only negligible power-loss with altitude.

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
All T-72 Ajaya have ENGINE V46-6 which are up-rated very recently, T-72M1 modified are call Ajaya,The one operating at high altitude are Combat Improved Ajeya which have too same 780 hp engine which are uprated to 1000hp locally ..

The one you are referring are no longer in active service or been upgraded to Ajaya standard locally, Their are no tanks in IA any longer use imported engines rather licensed ones, Even ERA tiles ..

================

Source : http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/techfocus/2014/TF_April_2014_WEB.pdf
can we use White news paper camo in snow terrains, after snow is gone just rip the paper off.
it looks like desi cheap upgrade of mountain warfare.. just an idea bhai...

BrutusMarcus

The one you are referring are no longer in active service or been upgraded to Ajaya standard locally[/URL]
You mean all T-72's variants have been upgraded to turbocharged 1000hp engines?

Thank you for the info, though. I was aware that the upgrade program is in place, but was under the impression that it could take them a while to get the entire fleet retrofitted with the more powerful powertrain.

I know the engines are license manufactured here, even the more powerful versions. It doesn't make sense not to, since all Russian V-12 tank engines, including V-46, V-84, or the V-92 of the T-90, are based on the now vintage V-2 of the WW2 T-34 (even the Polish tank engines for that matter, as are basically clones of the Russian V-12, except that they created their own upgrade based on the superchargered V-46, rather than simply cloning a later engine version).

Hence, all later engines, Polish or Russian, share quite a few components with the older soviet-era ones that we are already license manufacturing. It makes perfect economic sense as they only need to add manufacturing of a certain percentage of additional components, & upgrade the dies for the stronger versions of the older components, rather than set up a plant to manufacture a completely different set of components for an entirely different engine. Add to that fact that they're already familiar with the engine.

Their are no tanks in IA any longer use imported engines rather licensed ones, Even ERA tiles ..[/URL]
Is the MTU 830 series used on the Arjun being license manufactured too? I gather the main drive of the designers to develop an indigenous engine was to enable self reliance. If the MTU unit is already being license manufactured locally, that aim has been achieved. Furthermore, the engine is still lighty load, so there is scope to squeeze a bit more power out of it for future needs too. So I don't understand why an indigenous unit should still be in the works, especially considering that the military has placed a weight limitation on the Arjun, negating the urgency to develop a much more powerful engine anytime soon (i mean, why fix something that's not broke?).

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The development is very recent in 2014 only as shown in Drdo tech-focus, The upgrade will take time for all T-72M1s ..

I should added this in my previous comment, That all Russian tanks in IA don`t use any imported engine rather licensed produced once, Arjun`s MTU engine are imported indeed ..

This is the only recent updated available on our tank engine ..

You mean all T-72's variants have been upgraded to turbocharged 1000hp engines?

Thank you for the info, though. I was aware that the upgrade program is in place, but was under the impression that it could take them a while to get the entire fleet retrofitted with the more powerful powertrain.

I know the engines are license manufactured here, even the more powerful versions. It doesn't make sense not to, since all Russian V-12 tank engines, including V-46, V-84, or the V-92 of the T-90, are based on the now vintage V-2 of the WW2 T-34 (even the Polish tank engines for that matter, as are basically clones of the Russian V-12, except that they created their own upgrade based on the superchargered V-46, rather than simply cloning a later engine version).

Hence, all later engines, Polish or Russian, share quite a few components with the older soviet-era ones that we are already license manufacturing. It makes perfect economic sense as they only need to add manufacturing of a certain percentage of additional components, & upgrade the dies for the stronger versions of the older components, rather than set up a plant to manufacture a completely different set of components for an entirely different engine. Add to that fact that they're already familiar with the engine.

Is the MTU 830 series used on the Arjun being license manufactured too? I gather the main drive of the designers to develop an indigenous engine was to enable self reliance. If the MTU unit is already being license manufactured locally, that aim has been achieved. Furthermore, the engine is still lighty load, so there is scope to squeeze a bit more power out of it for future needs too. So I don't understand why an indigenous unit should still be in the works, especially considering that the military has placed a weight limitation on the Arjun, negating the urgency to develop a much more powerful engine anytime soon (i mean, why fix something that's not broke?).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles