Indian American wins epic spelling bee

Kshatriya87

Country flag
After a two-week 90-round gruelling battle, a 13-year-old Indian American student Kush Sharma finally broke a tie in a local county contest to go to the National Spelling Bee competition.

The Indian champ Saturday faced his 11-year-old adversary Sophia Hoffman again to resume the Jackson County Spelling Bee in Kansas City, Missouri, that had ended in a tie Feb 22 when the judges ran out of words.

The two had eliminated 23 other contestants and went another 47 rounds against each other in their previous encounter, according to the newspaper Kansas City Star.

But in the end, in the 29th round on Saturday, Kush, a seventh-grader from Kansas City, won with not a tongue twister but a simple word — "definition" after Sophia, a Lee's Summit fifth-grader stumbled on her word — "stifling" — in Round 28. In their previous epic battle, the two had traded tough words like "madeleine" for "scherzo", "mukhtar" for "bobbejaan" for more than five hours before judges ran out of words resulting in a tie. But Scripps officials rejected a groundswell push on Twitter to "Send Them Both!" to the nationals in May.

In Saturday's contest, neither skipped a beat until Sophia's miss in Round 28. During the ensuing break, she gathered with her family, and Kush saw Sophia crying. He walked over and bent to her. "Stop crying or you're going to make me cry," he told her, according to the Star. She looked up and laughed.

Indian-Americans have dominated the contest over the years. New York student Arvind Mahankali won the 2013 Scripps National Spelling Bee.

Indian American wins epic spelling bee - The Hindu

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Jolly good!

Bully for the boy!

Kshatriya87

Country flag
These people are American citizens. Why does indian media make such a big deal about it?
Because they come from Indian origin. And I've been to USA and other foreign countries. Doesn't matter if they change their citizenship, their hearts always belong to India.

And for your kind information; its "Indian media", not "indian media".

Voldemort

Country flag
Because they come from Indian origin. And I've been to USA and other foreign countries. Doesn't matter if they change their citizenship, their hearts always belong to India.

Really? Preet Bharara would disagree with you.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
The Spelling Bee is just about one of the dumbest competitions ever devised in US schools.

It nothing more than a test of rote memory.
I don't know why any parent would want their kid in a spelling bee contest, and why Indian Americans in particular are so fixated about it.
Its a complete waste of time.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
The Spelling Bee is just about one of the dumbest competitions ever devised in US schools.

It nothing more than a test of rote memory.
I don't know why any parent would want their kid in a spelling bee contest, and why Indian Americans in particular are so fixated about it.
Its a complete waste of time.

Only the people who don't know about it, would use the word "dumb" for this excellent competition.

It is not a test of "rote memory". It involves learning about the origin of language and different words derived from other ancient languages such as Latin etc. When asked about the spellings, the competitor has to first think about the origin of the word, the use of syllables in that particular word, the prefix etc. and then spell it.

It is not just the Indian Americans who compete. People from a lot of other nations do too. You only think that Indian Americans are fixated about this because there are more number of Indian American winners in this competition.

It is not a waste of time because it is a true test of intelligence and knowledge of origin of the language and literature.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Great for Indian american...I guess now he has qualified for National Spelling Bee... I always see spelling bee competitions as celebration of a language full of imperfections.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Only the people who don't know about it, would use the word "dumb" for this excellent competition.

It is not a test of "rote memory". It involves learning about the origin of language and different words derived from other ancient languages such as Latin etc. When asked about the spellings, the competitor has to first think about the origin of the word, the use of syllables in that particular word, the prefix etc. and then spell it.

It is not just the Indian Americans who compete. People from a lot of other nations do too. You only think that Indian Americans are fixated about this because there are more number of Indian American winners in this competition.

It is not a waste of time because it is a true test of intelligence and knowledge of origin of the language and literature.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.
You can spin any way you want. At the end of the day it just another dumb rote memory contest !
I have watched enough spelling bee contests to know its a complete waste of time.

And the parents who encourage their kids to devote time to spelling bee contests are even bigger morons......be they Indians, American, or whatever.

Last edited:

Kshatriya87

Country flag
You can spin any way you want. At the end of the day it just another dumb rote memory contest !
I have watched enough spelling bee contests to know its a complete waste of time.

And the parents who encourage their kids to devote time to spelling bee contests are even bigger morons......be they Indians, American, whatever
No point in arguing with you. :toilet:

sam80

And the parents who encourage their kids to devote time to spelling bee contests are even bigger morons......be they Indians, American, or whatever.

Can understand your frustration and miserable life which you spent on forums and Internet commenting !!! It's classic language of losers who never achieved anything in life .

Last edited:

praneetbajpaie

Tihar Jail
Banned

Vold is correct here Kshat. Once they have left these shores, its their adopted country that they represent, not their country of origin and we as Indians should give them as much importance as we give to others and no more,

praneetbajpaie

Tihar Jail
Banned
OK guys, no point arguing among ourselves. Some people might find such competitions idiotic, that's their prerogative.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles