Indian-American Nikki Haley scripts US history

Discussion in 'Americas' started by sandeepdg, Jan 14, 2011.

1. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

WASHINGTON: Daughter of Sikh immigrant parents from Punjab, Indian-American Namrata "Nikki" Randhawa Haley proudly recollected her Indian heritage while being sworn in as the first woman and non-white Governor of South Carolina.

"I stand before you today, the proud daughter of Indian immigrants," Haley said in her inaugural speech on the State House's south steps.

Top several Republican leaders including Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, a number of Congressmen and a large number of Indian Americans from various parts of the country, and the Indian Ambassador to the US, Meera Shankar, braved some frigid weather to be present during the historic occasion.

"Growing up in rural, small town South Carolina, my family experienced this state and this country at its best. No, not every day was perfect. No, we were not always free from the burdens faced by those who look and sound different," said Haley who after Bobby Jindal from Louisiana, is only the second Indian-American Governor. She is also the first ever Indian-American woman governor in the United States.

Describing swearing in of Haley as governor of South Carolina as a "proud" moment for Indian-Americans, eminent members of the community expressed hope she would serve as an inspiration for younger generation to join the political mainstream of the US.

"Governor Nikki Haley of South Carolina made all Indian-Americans proud. She is an inspiration and a role model to all women in the US and India. Governor Haley is the new face and a positive message of the conservative Republican Party," said Puneet Ahluwalia, from Republican Party of Virginia.

Indian-Americans from as far as California, New Jersey, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Texas attended the day-long function, that ended with a gala in the night.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ey-scripts-US-history/articleshow/7280935.cms

3. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

She looks extremely Americanized.
    [​IMG]

She also married an White guy, which is tragic. Should we sell ourselves short to get elected and integrate?
    [​IMG]

She even converted to Christianity and left Sikism...I dont give a dam what she does. She is not Indian.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

I think if she converted after marriage then its ok..in most cases a women has to convert if she marries a guy of other religion..
    she cant be a bitch if she has converted..

5. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

She IS American, so why are you expecting her to look Indian. She can marry anyone be it white or black, many Indian guys have married American white women, so how is she different.

Though you say you don't give a damn about her but you come here and post pictures of her and her family and rant that she is not Indian. She was not Indian to begin with.

Singh likes this.
  6. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

self delete..........................................

7. Blackwater

Dont think so. Nikki can be also NRI punjabi name. I myself NRI and knows lots of Indian Punjabi families with short or goras name, but it does not mean they converted to chirstanity. She will remain Indian from heart. People like her help India to infulence american foriegn policy and called lobbying. More Indian origin american in American govt mean more lobbying for India..

From wikipeadia

Haley was born and raised as a Sikh. On September 6, 1996 she married Michael Haley in both a Methodist church ceremony and a Sikh gurdwara.[38] Haley identifies herself today as a Christian,[39] but also attends both Sikh and Methodist services out of respect for her parents' culture.[27][40] She sits on the board for Mt. Horeb United Methodist Church.[41]

Michael is a federal employee with the United States Department of the Army and an officer in the South Carolina Army National Guard.[42] Together they have two children, Rena and Nalin.[43] Haley's brother Mitti is an active duty officer who has served in the U.S. Army for the past 20 years.[44]

She identifies herself as christian does not mean converted. She identifies her as christian coz of her political carrier.you can't win in USA by saying you are sikh.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
    Singh likes this.
  8. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

She's not an Indian..let's stop glorifying these people.

9. Blackwater

you misses my point. People like her , bobby zindal, Sant chatwal and many more are american but they play important part in influencing American policy towards India

10. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Blackwater is right. For eg, fter the AIPAC it is the India caucus that is the most powerful lobby in USA, and that is only thanks to the NRIs and American-Indians.

11. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

Of course she's an American ! But she was born Indian, read the opening line of her speech "I stand before you today, the proud daughter of Indian immigrants," Haley said in her inaugural speech on the State House's south steps. That proves she is proud of her Indian identity as much as her American identity. So what, if she converted to Christianity, she married an American, that's her life, her choice ! She was brought up in that country, and she adopted its culture whole heartedly. But the mention of that line, means that she still feels for her Indian identity and has respect for her parent's motherland .

12. JayATL

JayATL Senior Member Senior Member

I'm married to an American- does that not make me of Indian heritage and birthright? how many Christians are Indians in India? does that mean because they are Christians they are not Indians?

Now in her case , I hate her politics and she had quite a few scandals about sleeping around with people come up... I don't care for her politics but I won't deny her heritage based on the fact she is American

13. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

She was born and raised in rural South Carolina, so why shouldn't she look Americanised? I am suprised she doesn't look like a hick where she grew up.

She marries a white guy... who else is she going to marry? There are not many Indians hanging around Bamburg SC.

She converted to Christianity... she lives in the Bible belt of redneck land. She would have been lynched if she didn't.

14. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

LOL @ that. But it is not unsurprising, given the amount of flak a certain African-American President came under when he said the muslim call to prayer was beautiful, and pronounces Pakistan properly, rather than Pack-ee-stan. In fact, many polls show many americans think that the President in question is actually muslim!

Smart move by her emphasizing her connection the lord and the holy spirit yada yada yada...

15. JayATL

and a tea party lunatic to boot!

16. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Nikki Haley has always advanced the interests of India, folks. She was seen proclaiming proudly her Indian heritage during polling campaigns and the runoffs. And she has never hesitated to defend Indian interests and Indian business in all of her trips across the state.

Interestingly, she is also one of the most liberal Republicans. And she also tells it like it is. Recently, she called Obama out at the Governor's Association meeting in the WH. She demanded his support of the repeal of Oobamacare. When he refused, she demanded that Obama give the SC the right to opt out of Obamacare, which he didn't address.

But Nikki Haley is not the only one. Raj Goyle in Kansas, Ami Bera in California, Ravi Sangisetty in Louisiana and Reshma Saujani in New York, as well as Surya Yalamanchili in Ohio and Manan Trivedi, in Pennsylvania were all in the running at some point or the other. They may not all have won their GOP runoffs or Democrat runoffs, but they've put themselves on the political map.

What has her religion to do with her patronage and loyalty?

Let's not paint the world with broad strokes, shall we.

I am a Christian and I bet I do a lot more for the interests of my country than the average Hindu.

And I know plenty of other Christians who do, as well.

Haley also attends Sikh and Methodist services, by the way... out of respect for her parents' culture.

Singh likes this.
  17. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Any representation from Indian background give confidence to overseas Indian community.

As far as religion et al is concerned then it will be stupid to preach Indians how vote politics work.

I welcome this news.

18. JayATL

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ----- she is NOT a liberal republican. There are only 2 republicans in the entire republican party that tilt or can tilt liberal at times and they are the two senators from Maine. Nicki is a tea party whack job, she was backed by Sarah Palin. I know American politics, brother, inside out:). She showed her stupidity on the Heath care issue and is just playing to her red neck base. health care law saves close to 1 trillion dollars over a couple of decades to the deficit, allows Americans access to health care - for those who can't afford it and will gives us better health care access to those who can afford it ( high levels)-

I can go on and on and debate the health care law , this women in her ignorance is challenging it. Ask her to stop medicare for her senior citizens and watch her squirm out of that. Health care is a done deal , passed and over with- all she is doing is show boating! This is like( as an example), someone showboating for votes in India saying they will change India as a place for Hindus only. won't happen , done deal by law.

Nicki Haley is an idiot who got elected by ass kissing the red necks in her state - who have always elected republicans , who love Bush too. She maybe proud of her immigrant parents BUT Nicki Haley ran on a very anti -immigration platform.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  19. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

i support anti-immigration policy..
    if immigration is stopped all those companies will have to move to India in some or other ways :)
    that means more jobs here :)

20. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

You are a product of your environment.

21. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

She and Bobby Jindal are both idiots.

I am ashamed that they are Indian, actually.