Indian Air Force's C-130J lands at DBO at 16700 ft

pmaitra

It was your quote actually. Forgot to put the quotes properly.

You said GOI accepted being called Aksai Chin and never pursued the dispute aggressively with China.

However, I wanted to tell that Ladakhis still call it as eastern Ladakh. :)
No, you got me wrong, and perhaps I should have clarified.

GoI accepts the term Aksai Chin, and GoI says that Aksai Chin is a part of India. There is no problem with using the term, as it is indeed a legitimate term. The problem would be if someone said Aksai Chin is a part of PRC. No one has said that in this thread, so there is no problem at all.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Wait till chinese land their bird in what they call their aera.

Who in hell photographed/video it.

Donot they learn anything form chinese
It was deliberate.

Do you really think that they don't know we have an air strip?

They always knew.

But this landing is just to convey a message.

Although PLA might be clutching their bellies and laughing at Mauni Baba & Associates Ltd. :lol:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Show off ..

There is no need for such huge PR, Such things should be quite..
I agree. But when every negative news makes headlines in a matter of minutes these days, such positives are shown with same promptness.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Negative media reports can be countered in appropriate ways, This is not that way ..

The area is a very sensitive FOB, Providing enemy with real time picture of our defenses via our own UAV is utter stupidity ..

I agree. But when every negative news makes headlines in a matter of minutes these days, such positives are shown with same promptness.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag

drkrn

looking at the above posts my inference is

DBO air base is the highest air base in world with c-130j setting a new record of its own and IAF

even though tibet lies at higher altitude than india/leh it neither does have an airstrip at such altitude :hmm:,nor operational aircraft to do such landings(probably true as no country wants such a military equipment with china)

people here in this forum and military persons whom i have met always spoke of highly advanced weapons and infrastructure chinese have on opposite side of our border,while little information exist in this forum
@Kunal Biswas @Virendra @pmaitra it will be pleasing if any one will start a thread on air power of india vs china in tibet region(happy if you post things not open to public)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have done that back in 2010, The thread is a little old but you will get the idea ..

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/military-aviation/17393-plaaf-offensive-combat-readiness-against-india.html

This include >

1. stratergy ..
2. Terrain briefing
3. Fighter
4. Bomber
5. Logistics
6. UAV
7. Cruise Missiles
8. Airbases locations on both side ( Eastern front only )

@Kunal Biswas @Virendra @pmaitra it will be pleasing if any one will start a thread on air power of india vs china in tibet region(happy if you post things not open to public)

drkrn

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Nothing on Major Scale specially PLAAF ..

Only thing they are busy upgrading defenses around there airbases and infrastructure in TAR..

any recent updates from china sir?

pmaitra

looking at the above posts my inference is

DBO air base is the highest air base in world with c-130j setting a new record of its own and IAF

even though tibet lies at higher altitude than india/leh it neither does have an airstrip at such altitude :hmm:,nor operational aircraft to do such landings(probably true as no country wants such a military equipment with china)

people here in this forum and military persons whom i have met always spoke of highly advanced weapons and infrastructure chinese have on opposite side of our border,while little information exist in this forum
Tibet actually has quite a few. Go to Google Maps and scan the region south-west of Mt. Kailash.

dealwithit

@Kunal Biswas is there any chance in future that we can integrate Bofors 40mm L70 gun with it... like US did..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Leh already have L70, Its on almost every airfield as it is the back bone of IA air defense gun ..

@Kunal Biswas is there any chance in future that we can integrate Bofors 40mm L70 gun with it... like US did..

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Nothing on Major Scale specially PLAAF ..

Only thing they are busy upgrading defenses around there airbases and infrastructure in TAR..
Which is precisely what we must also be doing and at a much faster rate than present. We currently lack road networks sufficient enough to mobilize massive number of armour in the mountains.

For a successful combat in the Himalayas, we will need to focus on the following things:

1- Military grade roads capable of transporting light tanks and wheeled MGS equipment fast to the forward positions, apart from medical and food supplies to the troops.

2- 95% availability rate of the ALGs that border Tibet which may include the landing ability for C-17 and C-130Js for rapid tactical deployment of crack teams.

3- A planned, structured and multi-layered air defense system, which can take out bombers and fighter jets before they cross the border. And excess of it. Even if it is short range ADS like Akash that is cheap, reliable, rugged and can be rapidly deployed.

4- A multi-tier mountain artillery unit capable of deploying 107mm and as well as 120+mm artillery guns to the hot zones during a conflict.

5- Lastly but most important, a decisive government that can take strong action against an aggressor without getting into political dramas and internal cheap politics.

6- And full autonomy to engage an invading aggressor as required without civilian meddling.

More than the variety of equipment, in a conflict of Himalayan nature, a strong and steady logistics structure other than a decisive government and a fully autonomous military command (during conflict) is necessary for optimum results which can ensure that the conflict doesn't transform into a war of attrition on our side at least.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
As for Forward airfield goes, there should be more for C-130J in rear of Arunachal, Specially design for MIG-29 and C-130J for short landing and takeoffs.

More helipads at front-lines for CH-47 and MI-26..

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Like this?

How things work with the assembly of such massive guns. The stress on frame, the targeting (software ?), if special ammunition etc. is required to reduce the recoil, range of the ammunition and advantages.

I can fairly say such tools of war are for once you have established or can establish air dominance/supremacy. The scenarios under IAF train and operate are/going to be less than air supremacy or dominance i.e transient Air superiority. Please correct me If am wrong. Your opinion @p2prada; please.

drkrn

Which is precisely what we must also be doing and at a much faster rate than present. We currently lack road networks sufficient enough to mobilize massive number of armour in the mountains.

For a successful combat in the Himalayas, we will need to focus on the following things:

1- Military grade roads capable of transporting light tanks and wheeled MGS equipment fast to the forward positions, apart from medical and food supplies to the troops.

2- 95% availability rate of the ALGs that border Tibet which may include the landing ability for C-17 and C-130Js for rapid tactical deployment of crack teams.

3- A planned, structured and multi-layered air defense system, which can take out bombers and fighter jets before they cross the border. And excess of it. Even if it is short range ADS like Akash that is cheap, reliable, rugged and can be rapidly deployed.

4- A multi-tier mountain artillery unit capable of deploying 107mm and as well as 120+mm artillery guns to the hot zones during a conflict.

5- Lastly but most important, a decisive government that can take strong action against an aggressor without getting into political dramas and internal cheap politics.

6- And full autonomy to engage an invading aggressor as required without civilian meddling.

More than the variety of equipment, in a conflict of Himalayan nature, a strong and steady logistics structure other than a decisive government and a fully autonomous military command (during conflict) is necessary for optimum results which can ensure that the conflict doesn't transform into a war of attrition on our side at least.
the himalayan region is sparsely populated,but northeast has many civilians in comparison.
our army should focus more in NE strategically

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles