Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Zebra

Country flag
Any info whether or not the F-35 is being considered for the role ?.There are sources saying MoD isn't very keen on F-16INs because PAF operates them(which they shouldn't be,but I'd take it over Gripen any day) and hence Lockmart is pitching the F-35,but no one from our side has corroborated that.

Gripen is such a honeytrap,they lure you in with that low cost and ToT,trying to divert the attention from it's non-existent combat record and average capabilities
Sir, please prove that red color part.

And if you are not happy with Gripen, then we can keep it behind for time being.

Lets talk about F/A-18 ASH first. No problem.

What say............!

IndianHawk

Country flag

And if you are not happy with Gripen, then we can keep it behind for time being.

What say............!
Let me chip in
Gripen is actually a lightweight fighter with upgrades it's slowly inching towards middle weight category. But it's payload,range, weight, weapon bays etc are comparable to lca or in some categories only slightly better .
While f16 over the years has become a medium category fighter.
Hence the difference.

It's very hard to justify gripen over lca especially wain gripen NG is still not ready.

Zebra

Country flag
Let me chip in
Gripen is actually a lightweight fighter with upgrades it's slowly inching towards middle weight category. But it's payload,range, weight, weapon bays etc are comparable to lca or in some categories only slightly better .
While f16 over the years has become a medium category fighter.
Hence the difference.

It's very hard to justify gripen over lca especially wain gripen NG is still not ready.
It was Indian defence establishment, who requested SAAB to stay in India, even after MMRCA.

And ex DRDO chief, Saraswat, himself took ride in Gripen.

On top of it, air chief, himself took a ride.

There must be some reason in it.

Scarface

What say............!
I wish there was anything to talk about regarding the F-18 ASH,despite it being probably the best 4++ Gen aircraft , the IAF has sadly ruled it out by issuing an RFI for single engine fighters and they aren't exploring the F-35 either despite it being in the same category.

We're stuck with F-16 or Gripen.

Now, my view of the Gripen is based on the C/D versions and no solid information regarding the E version's capabilities is available to me,I would love some information.

WolfPack86

Country flag
I wish there was anything to talk about regarding the F-18 ASH,despite it being probably the best 4++ Gen aircraft , the IAF has sadly ruled it out by issuing an RFI for single engine fighters and they aren't exploring the F-35 either despite it being in the same category.

Now, my view of the Gripen is based on the C/D versions and no solid information regarding the E version's capabilities is available to me,I would love some information.
http://saab.com/globalassets/commer...hure-gripen-ng-english-ver.2-jan-2015_low.pdf
This is PDF Technical Information of Gripen NG Smart Fighter. I hope this will help you

Zebra

Country flag

Can you post any link or article for that red color part.

So that people might think to take Indian defence for some joy ride.

Scarface

Can you post any link or article for that red color part.

So that people might think to take Indian defence for some joy ride.
The Russians have been taking us for joyrides since the Soviet Era

The French have joined them, demanding exorbitant prices for India Specific modifications

And India sets itself up for it,they don't even have to put in the effort

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/india-launches-global-search-for-single-engine-fighter-jets

"India has begun a fresh program to acquire single-engine fighter aircraft to be built in India on the basis of foreign technology, as invitations have been sent privately through Indian Embassies to "some overseas participants" to partake in the program, according to an official at the Ministry of Defence (MoD)"

Zebra

Country flag
The Russians have been taking us for joyrides since the Soviet Era

The French have joined them, demanding exorbitant prices for India Specific modifications

And India sets itself up for it,they don't even have to put in the effort

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/india-launches-global-search-for-single-engine-fighter-jets

"India has begun a fresh program to acquire single-engine fighter aircraft to be built in India on the basis of foreign technology, as invitations have been sent privately through Indian Embassies to "some overseas participants" to partake in the program, according to an official at the Ministry of Defence (MoD)"
Please tell that red color part to corrupt Modi.

He needs money for next elections.

And the link doesn't say anything about F/A-18.

IndianHawk

Country flag

If this is all pure corruption than first and foremost responsibility lies with IAF brass .

Scarface

Modi hasn't been the one buying Soviet era MiGs and Sukhois,it was Congress and ABV government.He is far from corrupt,the problem is with MoD and IAF.Corrupt bureaucrats are the problem

The link says IAF has issued RFI for single engined fighters,that disqualifies the ASH.

Bahamut

Any info whether or not the F-35 is being considered for the role ?.There are sources saying MoD isn't very keen on F-16INs because PAF operates them(which they shouldn't be,but I'd take it over Gripen any day) and hence Lockmart is pitching the F-35,but no one from our side has corroborated that.

Gripen is such a honeytrap,they lure you in with that low cost and ToT,trying to divert the attention from it's non-existent combat record and average capabilities
F 35 will have a kills switch in hands of US, remember all the maintaince data is stored in US and with the level of cybersecurity they have after leaks of F35 data to Chinese is questionable.
I do agree the IAF should add F/A 18ASH and MiG 35. They are better bet

Defcon 1

Country flag
Modi hasn't been the one buying Soviet era MiGs and Sukhois,it was Congress and ABV government.He is far from corrupt,the problem is with MoD and IAF.Corrupt bureaucrats are the problem

The link says IAF has issued RFI for single engined fighters,that disqualifies the ASH.
Soviet Era Migs were bought during the Soviet era. And who said Sukhois are soviet era? What do you even know about Sukhoi to call them soviet era? Or calling MoD and IAF as corrupt?

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Minimum foreign fighter requirements are around 300. If you break that up you can have Hornets and Gripens. The problem is that sweeden (Saab) did support Nazi Germany that does give us a psychological problem of dependence and going against what this country stands for. I would like the Gov to fully go in for WW2 allied tech. Bulking up LCA production and buying Hornets is the only way I know possible.

Scarface

F 35 will have a kills switch in hands of US, remember all the maintaince data is stored in US and with the level of cybersecurity they have after leaks of F35 data to Chinese is questionable.
I do agree the IAF should add F/A 18ASH and MiG 35. They are better bet
There is no kill switch.

As far as maintenance is concered,it is false that ALIS system information is directly sent to the US.

ALIS is a hierarchical system which supports multiple countries.

The Standard Operating Unit sends information to a CPE ( abbreviation for Central Point of Entry of services kit) which is provided to the country and is run by the military/contractor staff , and a Lockmart support team,from there,the administration sends requests for maintenance and support based on the information to the manufacturing facility in Fort Worth , Texas as and when deemed necessary by the military staff , they can not send and let the F-35 stay grounded if they want.

The F-35 is not very different than any other foreign purchased fighter in terms of maintenance and support at least, the difference is that the process of acquiring maintenance,support and parts is digitised and streamlined.

You still have to depend on the OEM for sustaining the aircraft and you still have the same confidentiality as you had before.

You can find the information in the PDF

http://www.sae.org/events/dod/2015/attend/program/presentations/p4_lachance_scott.pdf

Chinmoy

Country flag
Soviet Era Migs were bought during the Soviet era. And who said Sukhois are soviet era? What do you even know about Sukhoi to call them soviet era? Or calling MoD and IAF as corrupt?
Sukihoi is as soviet era as Mig. Both were founded in Late 30's and IAF fielded Su-7 along with Mig21 in late 50's around same time.

Scarface

"Soviet Era migs were bought during the Soviet Era"
Uhh,yeah true for the most part , that doesn't make it a good decision.
Also the Navy is still buying MiG29K and is continuing to have issues with it.

I know when Sukhois started rolling out to call them Soviet era.
Su-7 is a Soviet Era plane
Su-27 is a Soviet Era plane,1985,Soviet Union was dissolved in 1991
Su-30 is the export version of Su-27,
Su-30MKI is a modified India Specific version of Su-27UB/Su-27PU which was a two seater trainer.

If we're going to call out F-16 on being a 40 year old airframe let's do the same for Su-30MKI airframe being a Soviet era one.

Finally,quote me where I called IAF and MoD corrupt.They both have their own problems but aren't corrupt.
I only called the Bureaucracy corrupt which it is.

Defcon 1

Country flag
"Soviet Era migs were bought during the Soviet Era"
Uhh,yeah true for the most part , that doesn't make it a good decision.
Also the Navy is still buying MiG29K and is continuing to have issues with it.
Mig 21 is the most produced fighter in the world and the one that kicked off US frontline fighters in the Vietnam war. US were so shocked after seeing its performance that they started the LMF project after this war specifically to counter Mig 21. This later resulted in F16. How is buying Mig 21s not a good decision? At the time it was bought, it was the most successful fighter in the world.
Navy bought Mig29k because it didn't have a choice. If you are so enlightened to point out navy's fault here, kindly suggest what they should have done instead.

I know when Sukhois started rolling out to call them Soviet era.
Su-7 is a Soviet Era plane
Su-27 is a Soviet Era plane,1985,Soviet Union was dissolved in 1991
Su-30MKI is a modified India Specific version of Su-27UB/Su-27PU which was a two seater trainer.
All MKIs have been manufactured post soviet era. All their equipment is of post soviet era. The airframe was modified post soviet era. Understand the distinction.

If we're going to call out F-16 on being a 40 year old airframe let's do the same for Su-30MKI airframe being a Soviet era one.
MKI is one of the most manoeuvrable fighters of the world, carries 8 tonnes of payload, has 12 hardpoints, decent avionics, huge range. Instead of looking at the age of the airframe, why don't you look at the performance?
And what if F16 has 16 year old airframe. The F16 block 60 is way different from F16A, same for all fighters. They are not soviet era.

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag
Sukihoi is as soviet era as Mig. Both were founded in Late 30's and IAF fielded Su-7 along with Mig21 in late 50's around same time.
The discussion is about Su30 MKI. This is implied in my post. The person to whom I replied has also understood this.

Bahamut

Sir Su 30 platform is different Su 27UB as in it has a weapons officer rather an instructed there new control different avionics and basically a new plane .
Plus Su 30MKI had design changes like canards unlike earlier Su 30.I donot know such design changes from block 70 .

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
This statement is like saying: Boeing, Finmeccanica and General dynamics are all soviet era. So they are all shit.
get.gif

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles