Indian Air Force loses another MiG-21

blue marlin

1136768_-_main.jpg

An Indian Air Force (IAF) MiG-21I Bison fighter aircraft crashed during a routine training sortie on 24 August.

The single-seat aircraft took off on a routine training sortie from Srinagar Air Force Base in Jammu and Kashmir and crash-landed in Soibugh area of Budgam at 1100 h local time. The pilot ejected safely and was recovered shortly after.

The IAF has launched an investigation.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
and the top brass will keep saying that mig21 has great structural strength

but never mind them , let's look at the bright side

(1) the pilot is safe

(2) the remaining mig21's still in service can be used for real-time pilot ejection training ?

ref @angeldude13 @bose @brational @blueblood @anupamsurey @ersakthivel @Blackwater @bengalraider @cobra commando @DingDong @Hari Sud @Kunal Biswas @LETHALFORCE @mhk99 @Neil @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sorcerer @TejasMK3 @Yusuf @jackprince @Bangalorean @indiandefencefan @aliyah @hit&run @VIP @Razor @Blood+ @Screambowl @Sylex21 @tsunami @Zebra @sgarg @Rashna @laughingbuddha @blue marlin

pmaitra

(2) the remaining mig21's still in service can be used for real-time pilot ejection training ?
Witty comment.

This comment was one of the first at ToI. Was that you?

Well, seems like it. Time to accelerate MiG-21 decommissioning and induction of LCA Mark I. MiG-21 decommissioning was already announced long time back.

bose

Country flag
and the top brass will keep saying that mig21 has great structural strength

but never mind them , let's look at the bright side

(1) the pilot is safe

It is time for IAF Mig 21 to rest for ever ... They have served very well for 40 years now...

Using it for Pilot ejection will be too risky... rather I would prefer using them as pilot less strike delivery system...

Yumdoot

Kyun! Tipnis sahib not coming in to prove that this design is safe in the hands of trainee pilots or pilots with 1-2 years service.

We have not lost the Mig21 Bison. It is a good aircraft. What we have lost is capacity to make sense at high places inside IAF. This aircraft is the kind that would give nightmares to F-15C pilots. But only if it is in the hands of experienced pilots. And this sort of capability of beating the hell out of its contemporaries was present in this design since its first versions. Not something unique to Bison.

While the air force that originated this plane has long since retired it. Our brave courageous fat marshals have gone on to first induct it with the best pilots and then, surprise....gave it to rookies because the best had to be moved to the more shinier imports. The kind of imports that must be serviced and overhauled before their mandated service life.

Blackwater

I don't mind as long as pilot is safe . Best way to get rid of these planes other wise they would have beaten record of ambassador cars [emoji12][emoji12][emoji38]btw can these planes can be used as pilot less drones with some modification by DRDO. Can be used on paki direction [emoji38][emoji38]

Blood+

Country flag
In my opinion,they should be retired from active service ASAP.What we can do with these is to turning these planes into unmanned kamikaze drones - that stuff them with as much explosive as possible and then just set them on collision course against enemy ships,oil storage,munitions bunkers,command centers,Parliament building - just about anything of value.

Immanuel

Country flag
The only use for the Mig-21 going forward and the rest of the Mig-23/Mig-27 in the IAF by 2020 is for them at best to be turned into target drones. I think with a few changes, this can be done. They can be ideal targets to test missiles like the Astra Mk1/2, Akash, Sypder SAM, Barak-ER, Python-5. I think we can have at least 300-400 such target aircraft. They can be tested as is with jammers, ECM & defensive aids. This way we can prove our missiles against realistic targets. The Mig-21/27/23 would be great aircraft to simulate the JF-17 Bundars, J-10s, J-7s etc

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
the problem is.. the lack of experienced pilots in IAF. This mig 21 is capable to beat F 16 too, only if the pilot knows how to do. Of course they are old and it adds to the crash reason.

very high landing and take off speed, very unstable aircraft.. fit for dog fight.. BUT our airforce plays defensive role and not offensive hence pilots are trained to defend the skies mostly, and not penetrate them.
this aircraft is seriously not for training .. putting young pilots inside this machine is a very bad idea. But of course I won't say keep them for next 10 years.Phase them out ASAP!

sorcerer

Country flag
Some say that if you start your driving lessons in an old Mahindra Jeep, you kinda evolve into an awesome driver...
I dont know if the MIG-21 is kinda like that..:D
Like If you know how to fly a MIG-21...everything else is just easssy.

Not nice when it injures our pilots. Not Good at all.

Yumdoot

the problem is.. the lack of experienced pilots in IAF. This mig 21 is capable to beat F 16 too, only if the pilot knows how to do. Of course they are old and it adds to the crash reason.

very high landing and take off speed, very unstable aircraft.. fit for dog fight.. BUT our airforce plays defensive role and not offensive hence pilots are trained to defend the skies mostly, and not penetrate them.
this aircraft is seriously not for training .. putting young pilots inside this machine is a very bad idea. But of course I won't say keep them for next 10 years.Phase them out ASAP!
Mig 21 airframe belongs to a philosophy that was hamstrung by small under-performing engines. So they developed a very aggressive low aspect ratio plane to make it go fast esp. at higher altitudes. But this was the latest and best at that time. During that time the best guys were developing tactics for this plane.

With upgrades it is and can be kept relevant for a long time.

But with pilot load increasing in 4 to 4.5 gen compared to the earlier generations, IAF leadership should have tried to make things easier on the new pilots by longer trainings, less aggressive flying during initial phases, appropriate mix of experienced pilots leading the younger guys, induction of low cost but safer LCAs. Instead they did nothing of the sort. Hawabazi karte rahe. You decide who is responsible for the deaths of so many pilots.

Mig21 days are gone from the safety POV. Absolutely must go. But even now they will do hawabazi about Rafale, instead of making up their minds.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Look at that .. how they penetrate the skies with guns firing at them. It is not easy to handle this aircraft.

blue marlin

I don't mind as long as pilot is safe . Best way to get rid of these planes other wise they would have beaten record of ambassador cars [emoji12][emoji12][emoji38]btw can these planes can be used as pilot less drones with some modification by DRDO. Can be used on paki direction [emoji38][emoji38]
o_O i thought your were British? traitor. well your right the pilot is safe so what to worry about? but what if (god forbid) the someone cant eject. get rid of theses jets apsp. dont worry china or Pakistan is not interested in war at all anyway. so theres no threat.

Blood+

Country flag
In my opinion,they should be retired from active service ASAP.What we can do with these is to turning these planes into unmanned kamikaze drones - that stuff them with as much explosive as possible and then just set them on collision course against enemy ships,oil storage,munitions bunkers,command centers,Parliament building - just about anything of value.

avknight1408

Country flag
I Think IAF pilots have decided that the only way to get rid of these planes is by crashing them.

salute

or sell it to afghanis , they gonna use it against pakis.

Blackwater

o_O i thought your were British? traitor. well your right the pilot is safe so what to worry about? but what if (god forbid) the someone cant eject. get rid of theses jets apsp. dont worry china or Pakistan is not interested in war at all anyway. so theres no threat.

How does it affects my commentso_Oo_Oo_O. As far as the word traitor is concerned we all know its the british born pakis , who are traitors of this land:hat::hat::hat:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles