Indian AF, Tired of Delays, Looks Overseas for Trainer

ladder

Country flag
Which is all the more proof that something isn't right about this urgency. The maintenance and service costs for such small number of jets are still significant. Given the small purchase if it comes through, HAL may refuse to provide overhauling as it might prove uneconomical to service jets in such limited numbers. And what is the point in ending up with 4 different types of Trainer aircraft anyways?

Truth be told, India should have brought more of those Polish Iskras. The pilots who've trained in them are all praise for it.
Yes Polish Iskras were good as it perfectly mimicked the MiG.

But, with Kiran Mk-2 going to retire, we need quick replacement.

Not going to the fact whether IAF needs three stage trainers. Or whether one stage trainers can replace other or rookie pilots can migrate from stage 1 to stage 3 directly, as I don't know the technical requirement.

Just wanted to push across that this move is not the end of IJT Sitara as presented in this thread.

Phantom

Yes Polish Iskras were good as it perfectly mimicked the MiG.

But, with Kiran Mk-2 going to retire, we need quick replacement.

Not going to the fact whether IAF needs three stage trainers. Or whether one stage trainers can replace other or rookie pilots can migrate from stage 1 to stage 3 directly, as I don't know the technical requirement.

Just wanted to push across that this move is not the end of IJT Sitara as presented in this thread.
My concern stems from the possibility that once IAF gets a limited number of another IJT, they might then start talking about economics and redundancy of inducting the Sitara. They might grudgingly induct only a few if HAL protests vociferously. Seen it already with the Arjun.

vram

Country flag
My concern stems from the possibility that once IAF gets a limited number of another IJT, they might then start talking about economics and redundancy of inducting the Sitara. They might grudgingly induct only a few if HAL protests vociferously. Seen it already with the Arjun.
Exactly my concern. Its all and well to wish and hope that things work out and IAF top brass like good soldiers go for the indigenous option once it is available. But we all know the story....deja vu Arjun. Replace the word weight in arjun with engine in sitara and you can see the Bollywood remake of older movies happening here too...with the god like phoren expert typically from UK and USA thrown in for good measure to trash Indian products like the item girls in bolly songs these days...you get the picture :)

Last edited:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
The big IF we have our own engine tech and manufacture know how none of this dram would have happened

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The question is, If HJT-36 is so close to IOC certification what this hush about ?, Is this another EGO issue of IAF with its rejection of proposed BTA of lisence production of inferior PC-3 ?, So does transfer of Gunship to Army ??

EGO have no place in logical world, If the person wanted to stick with such EGO, Its best he leave his command ..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles