India’s young workforce more relevant than China

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by LETHALFORCE, Jan 28, 2013.

1. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

India’s young workforce more relevant than China - Hindustan Times

India has a big advantage over China in the global labour market, as its young and English-speaking literate workforce is much more relevant on the global level, as per leading human resource consultancy giant Manpower Group.
    However, the Indian government and companies need to

focus on understanding the skill sets they would need in the future and train the country’s young population accordingly to maintain the supply-demand balance of the job market, Manpower Group president (Global Corporate and Government Affairs) David Arkless told PTI.
    Arkless, on the sidelines of World Economic Forum Annual Meeting, said that he remains optimistic about the Indian labour market, although the conditions remain volatile and uncertain globally.

“India is not a typical emerging market economy. It is a very specific talent market and Indian economy operates totally differently from Chinese or any other emerging market or global growth economy.

“In terms of human capital benefit, India has a highly literate and very driven young people. We see that the big benefit for India is that it has a much bigger young, literate English speaking relevant workforce, which is more relevant on the global level, as compared to the Chinese young people for instance. That’s going to be the biggest strength in future for Indian labour market”.

3. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Philippines has a big advantage over China in the global labour market, as its young and English-speaking literate workforce is much more relevant on the global level

4. ice berg

ice berg Senior Member Senior Member

They are stealing call-center jobs from indians too. Most customers prefer phillipinos cause the cultur difference between US and UK. They are alot closer to US and US customers find it more comfortable speaking to them.

satish007 likes this.
  5. opesys

opesys Regular Member

That's a good news actually for India.Call Center jobs pay decently well so even people with 3 years science and commerce degrees jump into it just for money. These Call Center jobs are have no career or future for young people. As alternatives for people who loose jobs if Call Centers jobs leave India, they can study further and get a better job which has a career or go try doing small scale business or do something useful in their life...

lcatejas likes this.
  6. cir

cir Senior Member Senior Member

Young Japaneses or South Koreans must be irrelevant since both speak far worse English than average young Chinese。:rofl:

7. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

When you plan to work for westerners, English ability really matters, but if you are working for your own people, why bother?

I spend the last 13 years studying English, believing it would help me with my career. Guess what? English only becomes useful when i am watching "skyfall" or arguing with Indians at DFI.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

8. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

The demographic may be favorable for India'. However a workforce only goes as far as the quality of labor laws.

9. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

At least it helped you understand how big, bad evil Indian are. :sarcastic:

10. datguy79

datguy79 Regular Member

China is currently reaping the rewards of its one-child policy. The manure will hit the fan in 20-30 years when they won't have enough young people to replace the retiring group plus the massive healthcare costs that comes with an elderly population.

11. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

This is a very important point, I still have not seen government policy improving
    in anyway to capitalize on this.

12. no smoking

no smoking Senior Member Senior Member

"Better job"? I doubt it. If they can have a better job, they won't join the call center in the first place.
    The key question is: did india already prepare a mass manufacturing base to absorb these "new" engineers? India's manufacturing scale is far small than that of China in early 1990s while she gets far more university graduates than Chinese students in that period.

13. opesys

opesys Regular Member

You did not get what I meant. Students after 3 years degree instead of studying further they jump into Call Center jobs because they pay decently well. Also many college kids don't even try hard to get better grades because they know they can get a call center job anyway with whatever college performance.

That's true but manufacturing need not be the only way to make progress. Of Course it helps but there are many other sectors where a country can focus and make progress. I want India to set up manufacturing base only for local needs and for military equipments. I want India to focus on RnD instead of manufacturing. Agriculture is another thing that is very much India should focus on. Look at U.S, Germany, Israel, Sweden,Japan even they don't have that much manufacturing infra but they are doing quite well.