India's 'silent' prime minister becomes a tragic figure

sob

Mod
Country flag
A point for everyone to contemplate on is whether corruption exploded or whether cases against corruption exploded during the UPA administration.

Why is it that the CAG is not being gagged? Vinod Rai is a very close aid of both PC and MMS. Why would he take them on this vehemently. After all the CAG has existed since 1948. Is this the first term during which the CAG's reports have been released to the media and public?
CAG cannot be gagged. Earlier the level of the scams were so low that the media was not interested in the findings of the CAG. With these explosive figures and the scams one after another, the spotlight has shifted to the CAG reports and also that the opposition has started to use this as an ammo.

The Government is at a liberty to choose the date when to present the CAG report to the Parliament and in turn to the public. The CAG report on Coal was ready in May but the Government sat on it due to the explosive nature. When selective parts started leaking in the media then they had no option but to present it to the Parliament.

Iamanidiot

PVNR did other good things tackling khalistan,tackling Kashmir,the nuke bomb among others

opesys

There was so much scope for improvement in India's economic policies before MMS took over as FM that even a average IIM graduate would have done a great job.
Also the steps taken to revive Indian economics were nothing unique...many other countries had tried capitalism and there was a clear picture
as to how to revive and build the Indian economics. It was all about somebody making that decison and PVNR made that decision and appointed MMS
as FM.

In case many people do not remember the period of 1991 and the events that led to the steps taken by PVN/MMS. The economis situation had turned very bad and the Government did not have enough foreign exchange for financing even 3 weeks import bills. In this backdrop the coalition government led by Chandra Shekha Singh as the PM and Yashwant Sinha as the FM had to airlift 67 tons of gold as guarrantee of US $ 2.2 Billion emergency loan from the IMF.

Against this the Govt. had to agree for some very tough steps with the IMF. Yashwant Sinha had prepared his budget with these economic conditions , but the Government collapsed when Congress pulled the plug.

Subsequently PVN became the PM and he brought MMS as his FM ( his second choice, first being I G Patel). The so called economic reforms unleashed by MMS were all part of the conditions laid down by the IMF. (1991 India economic crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). There was sever criticism but due to the astute handling of the situation by the wily PVN, the opposition was won over and the finance bill was passed in the Parliament, paving the way for- what we call today economic reforms.

So please if we have to give credit to anybody for the reforms, please do give it to PVN and not to MMS. He was just following the orders from his boss.

sukhish

nothing is unique , the model for economic revial is in front of everybody, even I can do it. but will get an opputunity to do it, that's the question.

sukhish

phaaaji hun ta resign kar do.Now, even I am getting embarrassed as a sikh. How long i will defend you on this forum..:frusty::frusty::rolleyes::rolleyes:
yeah,
only UP walla bhayia can save india and get it's lost glory. oh no LK advani knows how to get RAM RAJ back.

Iamanidiot

Caravan magazine has a nice article about MMS profile suggest you guys to read that.This guy is not a novice to politics.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think MMS is not helping the cause of Con-gress by this mute show, specially against the Modi fireworks it looks so damn pale to the public. :tsk:
And mind you, this public opinion is what screws up the politicians in the polls. Not everyone has the right understanding of the word 'Development'.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The rumour mill says Vinod Rai had a spat with PMO and things turned ugly
It is very well known among babus that Mr.Rai wants a say in policy space.

--

Press can criticize anyone minus uncivil language. GOI shouldn't be worried about it if their public communications are poor.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

KS

Bye bye DFI
Actually, not many people know this but MMS is an astute politician.
I have heard this, and take it with a pinch of salt, that MMS is exposing the corruption done by his fellow cabinet members. He cannot chastise them publicly, so he is attacking them indirectly. If this is true, then more power to MMS.
I would like to believe you....Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.......:rolleyes:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Even if it might be true we should not tolerate foreign media abusing our leaders.

He may be a bastard but he's our bastard! Dhimmi attitude strikes again.
Where was this trembling at indignation when the same US denied visa to Modi ?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Where was this trembling at indignation when the same US denied visa to Modi ?
Modi must be given visa due to his govt position.

Unlike others im not a hypocrite.

Reactions: KS

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I think MMS is not helping the cause of Con-gress by this mute show, specially against the Modi fireworks it looks so damn pale to the public. :tsk:
And mind you, this public opinion is what screws up the politicians in the polls. Not everyone has the right understanding of the word 'Development'.
He has a reputation of not being corrupt, and is well respected. However, he is a very ambitious and a very shrewd man. You don't become the Prime Minister of India by being innocent or an imbecile (unless your surname is famous).

He knows his limitations, he is not a leader, he has no support base, he is not charismatic, he is not even an orator. He is easily expendable and replaceable. He has no say in his party, and his allies don't listen to him. Globally there is an economic downturn. In such a situation what can he do ?

Mind you his children are not in politics, and he doesn't plan on running for 2014.

He can quit and be consigned to the relics ? Or he can brazen it out ? Or and this is what I suspect is happening, he is, in his own capacity or way, trying to do some good.?

Unfortunately such things might never become public, they are conjecture and based on second hand info/anecdotes.

Only his nuclear deal machinations are somewhat known. And if that's any indication, then he could very well be a "kamikaze" as iamanidiot pointed out

Last edited:

opesys

If he has the intention of seeing a corruption free India then Why allow it happen at the first place ?
If you as a common man know that MMS is exposing all these corrupt ministers then do you want us to believe that the top
congress leaders especially Sonia Gandhi doesn't know it ? Sonia Gandhi who calls all the shots knowing that MMS
is exposing all these things hasn't taken any action against him ?
Even five year old kids these days are not so naive as you are....

Actually, not many people know this but MMS is an astute politician.
I have heard this, and take it with a pinch of salt, that MMS is exposing the corruption done by his fellow cabinet members. He cannot chastise them publicly, so he is attacking them indirectly. If this is true, then more power to MMS.

Iamanidiot

The FCRA act which he made more stringent in 2010 is another feather in his cap.NGOs no more are able to get the funding they once got.In 2010-2011 India got 10,000 crores to NGOs from abroad.In 2011-2012 it reduced to 6000 crores.It will fall even more next year

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
He has a reputation of not being corrupt, and is well respected. However, he is a very ambitious and a very shrewd man. You don't become the Prime Minister of India by being innocent or an imbecile (unless your surname is famous).

He knows his limitations, he is not a leader, he has no support base, he is not charismatic, he is not even an orator. He is easily expendable and replaceable. He has no say in his party, and his allies don't listen to him. Globally there is an economic downturn. In such a situation what can he do ?

Mind you his children are not in politics, and he doesn't plan on running for 2014.

He can quit and be consigned to the relics ? Or he can brazen it out ? Or and this is what I suspect is happening, he is, in his own capacity or way, trying to do some good.?

Unfortunately such things might never become public, they are conjecture and based on second hand info/anecdotes.

Only his nuclear deal machinations are somewhat known. And if that's any indication, then he could very well be a "kamikaze" as iamanidiot pointed out
I'm not asking him to hang the boots or to be the charismatic leader who gathers votes like magnet gathers Iron. He is just not that guy and this is not about him but his methods or temperament. As a PM of the country, you don't say "Whatever issue may happen, I'm like this only Ji".
But he is the same guy who asserted himself and got things done despite of similar noise and friction around him during US nuclear deal.
He is not on that seat for personal benefits, that is also understandable.
But he is the same guy who's first tenure was way more free of corruption charges on the Govt. he heads.
And not many blame him for the global economic impacts either. There is no lack of domestic issues anyway.
Basically whatever this strategy of his is, it is not doing well to Con-gress prospects from electoral point of view specially when there's so much negative baggage and an opponent like Modi.

Regards,
Virendra

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A man's prestige cannot be up for sale!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles