India will be isolated if it boycotts CHOGM: Sri Lanka

happy

I would recommend You to read Tamil Literature for Yourselves. The ridiculing of North Indians is because there is a wide spread perception that they are trying to Impose their language on us.

As far as You getting No response as because You are from AP, may be you have met some locals who have lost their livelyhood to AP immigrants.

For your knowledge, There are numerous Telugu communities (Naiker, Naidus and Reddy) living throughout TN. Many of the notable industrialists in Coimbatore (LMW, Roots etc) belong to the Telugu community. They are prosperous and well respected by the other Tamil communities. Same in Madurai and Tanjavoor. We are more open to accept other communities in our State.

You know how much animity arises with the Mullai periyar Dam issue with Kerala. But You don;t know about the Mallu communities who live in Tamil Nadu. Many Students from Kerala live and Study in TN. Many Keralites have made Coimbatore as their Home. Nobody feels indifference.

There is a healthy Sourashtrian community living in Madurai. They form a significant Vote bank.

There is a healthy parsi community in Coimbatore,

A very healthy Marwari community in Chennai. Even the notable actor Jeeva and his Producer tycoon Father RB Choudary belong to this community.

A Kannda actor Arjun Sarja has made Chennai as his home and he is a star there. What about Rajini?? He is the super star. But he is not a Tamil.

Mamooty, Mohan Lal, Jayaram, Prithvi Raj Are among the many Malayalam Actors who have great fan base in TN.

Prakash Raj is from Karnataka and he is widely respected in TN.

Even EVR Periyar is Telugu by birth.

There are Large number of Kannada communities (Vokkaligar, Kannada Chettiar, Gowda) Living in Erode, Coimbatore, Salem Districts. they are Living peacefully and are great traders and Agriculturalists.

Ther is signinficant Telugu population in Chennai.

Dont make asumptions on a community just because You had a bad experience.

I am living in Bangalore for two years and I have had instances when I was ridiculed for being a Tamil. But I have many good friends in Kannada community and I dont make a fus about it. Even My best friend is a Kannadian.
You are right in almost everything and also I should not make assumptions based on only my experiences. I agree. But as far as my experience is concerned, Tamils respect people who can speak and understand tamil. The others are not so fortunate. Pls explain why this trait ??

urpflanze

Country flag
1) As a matter of rule: Politics (vote-bank or whatever) should never be allowed to hijack foreign policy. These whining and self-important Tamils need to introspect as to how unnecessary meddling in a sovereign country's internal affair can boomerang on their own face. Like the overprotective parents of a girl who ceaselessly irk the son-in-law for petty grievances until relations bottom out and irreparable damage has been inflicted.

2) India should come out of this pseudo-imperialistic mindset that it is the center of attention in the South-East Asian region. Why should any country, be it the size of a mosquito, yield to our bullying tactics? And why this perennial mask of self-righteousness? Who are we to show the mirror to SL when we are unable to face it ourselves?

The relationship is on the verge of a divorce and in place of trying to sit together and address it in a matured way, we are still acting pompous and delusional. Because while we will be looking the other way in disgust, some clever country would be done with cementing the gap.

nirranj

Country flag
1) As a matter of rule: Politics (vote-bank or whatever) should never be allowed to hijack foreign policy. These whining and self-important Tamils need to introspect as to how unnecessary meddling in a sovereign country's internal affair can boomerang on their own face. Like the overprotective parents of a girl who ceaselessly irk the son-in-law for petty grievances until relations bottom out and irreparable damage has been inflicted.

2) India should come out of this pseudo-imperialistic mindset that it is the center of attention in the South-East Asian region. Why should any country, be it the size of a mosquito, yield to our bullying tactics? And why this perennial mask of self-righteousness? Who are we to show the mirror to SL when we are unable to face it ourselves?

The relationship is on the verge of a divorce and in place of trying to sit together and address it in a matured way, we are still acting pompous and delusional. Because while we will be looking the other way in disgust, some clever country would be done with cementing the gap.
It is not just about Karunanidhi or Vaiko. It is about the 70 Million Tamils in TN (minus Congress party men and Subramanya Swami). It is about the Genocide conducted by the Army. It is about the forced land grab in North and East of Lanka and the mass immigration of Sinhalese into Tamil territories and making Tamils refugees. It is about a immoral regime in sri Lanka that is suppressing free speech and is even assasinating even Sinhalese Journalists. It is about the next genocide in brewing, the Anti Muslim feeling in incubation.

Sri Lanka never is in a Marriage with India. It is in bed with China and Pakistan as it flirts with India.

Look deeper into SL's foreigh policy for Yourselves. They have been using the US card previously and are using the China card now to milch India.

nirranj

Country flag
You are right in almost everything and also I should not make assumptions based on only my experiences. I agree. But as far as my experience is concerned, Tamils respect people who can speak and understand tamil. The others are not so fortunate. Pls explain why this trait ??
So how many Other lingual groups who dont know Tekugu get the respect in Andhra?? And the same in Karnataka?? We were fughting against the Imposition of Hindhi. So we dont learn Hindhi. If a person wants to relocate to Tamil Nadu, they have to learn Tamil to interact with the locals. Same for Films and literature of other languages. Hindhi, Telugu, Kannada and Mallayalam films have to be dubbed in Tamil for the Audience. Same as how Tamil Films are dubbed in Telugu and other languages. there are a number of Scholars in TN who learn other Indian languages and translate many Masterpiece literature into Tamil. Even Bharati Adviced us to learn other languages and bring their masterpieces to Tamil.

The perception that Tamils respect only those who know Tamil is also misleading. It is the same in other states too. Languages are basis for communication and so people feel others who learn their languages as their own. But at the same time, people dont mind other state people living and earning their livelyhood in TN. There are more than million North Indians living and working in TN. We dont mind them. Majority thinks it is their right to work for their livelyhood. There will be some pricklers, whose sole intention will be to interrupt in the livelyhood of others. But the majority never makes a fus about people from other states (or in common immigrants). Even there was a major Anti Tamil riot in Karnataka (Lakhs came back to TN losing their livelyhood) and in Bombay (Anti south Indian riot). But there had never been a riot in TN against the other state prople. We had few boiling times, like 1992 when some people attacked Kannadigas in Nilgiris in retaliation to the Anti Tamil riots in South Karnataka and some road blockades against the Keralites druing the recent Mullai periyar issue. People here live peacefully, except some North Indians who are still unable to Digest that Tamils wont speak Hindhi.

You know about Forward block?? that party is so strong in Madurai area. Many of the Bengali leaders of that party get good following over there, even though they dont know Tamil. Netaji had very good popular support in TN. He is still the Greatest National leader for Many in TN.

Even we had a very god following for Modi. And Vajpayee had made many electoral speeches over there in Hindhi (with Tamil Translation) but he is one of the much respected National leader in TN.

Indhira Gandhi planned to contest in Tanjavoor after the emergency period, she would have won if she has contested from there.

We have made Dhoni as a local Icon of Chennai. He doesn't know to speak Tamil.

My name is bengali. There are many Nehru's, Jhansi Rani's, Tilak's, Ambedkar's, Netaji's, Bose's, Gandhi's, Indira's, Bagath Singh's, Rajeevs, Raja Ram Mohan's, Vivekanand's, Tagore's, Tipu's, Hydar's, Sivaji's in TN (people named in respect for the leaders). Now tell me how many outside TN are named as Chidambaram (VOC) or Kamaraj or Kumaran (Tiruppur Kumaran) or Pulithevan or Maruthu or Velu Nachiar or Vanchinathan or Subramania Bharathi.. Didn't my state men and woman fight for the cause of a Free India.

You are complaining that people in TN are not respecting other state People.

Last edited:

happy

So how many Other lingual groups who dont know Tekugu get the respect in Andhra?? And the same in Karnataka?? We were fughting against the Imposition of Hindhi. So we dont learn Hindhi.

The perception that Tamils respect only those who know Tamil is also misleading. It is the same in other states too. Languages are basis for communication and so people feel others who learn their languages as their own. But at the same time, people dont mind other state people living and earning their livelyhood in TN. There are more than million North Indians living and working in TN. We dont mind them. Majority thinks it is their right to work for their livelyhood. There will be some pricklers, whose sole intention will be to interrupt in the livelyhood of others. But the majority never makes a fus about people from other states (or in common immigrants). Even there was a major Anti Tamil riot in Karnataka (Lakhs came back to TN losing their livelyhood) and in Bombay (Anti south Indian riot). But there had never been a riot in TN against the other state prople. We had few boiling times, like 1992 when some people attacked Kannadigas in Nilgiris in retaliation to the Anti Tamil riots in South Karnataka and some road blockades against the Keralites druing the recent Mullai periyar issue. People here live peacefully, except some North Indians who are still unable to Digest that Tamils wont speak Hindhi.

You are complaining that people in TN are not respecting other state People.
No yar, I am not complaining.......dont get me wrong.

Also, I think you are wrong about Andhraites....There is no problem for anybody of any ethnic background here. In fact, we welcome everybody with warm hearts. But the main problem with Andhra people is that they do not have even 30% of the unity when they go out of the state. They try to blend in with the local culture whereas tamils and keralites do not hesitate to show their roots.

Well, I have faced discrimination among tamils and keralites but tamils more and though your words are good to hear, I guess, it will take some experience to actually sink in.

nirranj

Country flag
No yar, I am not complaining.......dont get me wrong.

Also, I think you are wrong about Andhraites....There is no problem for anybody of any ethnic background here. In fact, we welcome everybody with warm hearts. But the main problem with Andhra people is that they do not have even 30% of the unity when they go out of the state. They try to blend in with the local culture whereas tamils and keralites do not hesitate to show their roots.

Well, I have faced discrimination among tamils and keralites but tamils more and though your words are good to hear, I guess, it will take some experience to actually sink in.
I wish to Show You around TN in person.

You think Tamils are united when we come outside TN. But here in TN its opposite. We think Telugu people are united and we tkae You guys and Keralites as example for Brotherhood..

urpflanze

Country flag
It is not just about Karunanidhi or Vaiko. It is about the 70 Million Tamils in TN (minus Congress party men and Subramanya Swami). It is about the Genocide conducted by the Army. It is about the forced land grab in North and East of Lanka and the mass immigration of Sinhalese into Tamil territories and making Tamils refugees. It is about a immoral regime in sri Lanka that is suppressing free speech and is even assasinating even Sinhalese Journalists. It is about the next genocide in brewing, the Anti Muslim feeling in incubation.

Sri Lanka never is in a Marriage with India. It is in bed with China and Pakistan as it flirts with India.

Look deeper into SL's foreigh policy for Yourselves. They have been using the US card previously and are using the China card now to milch India.
Absolutely no fault of yours in this? Please, with careful attention, re-read my first point. Can one harp on forever about the blame game?

nirranj

Country flag
Absolutely no fault of yours in this? Please, with careful attention, re-read my first point. Can one harp on forever about the blame game?
Your first point says about Tamils hijacking India's foreign policy.

It was indeed India's foreign policy (not influenced by TN Tamils) of intervening in SL's internal matter (read leasing its territory to the US to build naval base). and arming Tamils (who were already prrotesting/resisting Sinhalese dominance and were fighting for freedom.) India Armed the Tamil rebels and created a chaos in SL. Then India Intervened in the Civil war, (read IPKF) this time in support of the Sinhalese and tried to pin down the rebels. this backfired and the Intelligence failure let the rebels to assasinate a high value target in India. India went into a self imposed exile (in the daylight but cooperaed with the SL army in the Dark) from the civil war and didn't return to day light until the final war and the Chinese has used that period of our silence to arm the SL army. We again came into the picture (this time again in the dark) and supplied them with the equipments and intelligence to destroy the Rebels.

now as per your point 1 and 2, how do you justify Indias role in meddling In SL internal issues in the first by training, arming and supplying the rebels and thereby creating a unusual bondiing between the Tamils across the straits. Now India has made Tamils witness a unnecessary bloodshed. Whom to blame?? Why is India concerned about the relation with a (small) nation in the south when its own state is boiling?? And what is this divorce between India and Sri Lanka, when India neither has a strategic asset in Sl nor does Sri Lanka has accepted India as a preferred partner?

how about arming the rebels with the promise of a free nation through their struggle and our support and then back stabbing them (and Tamils in India) by putting a new solution half way (read 13th amendment)? and sending force to subjugate the rebels in favor of their enemies? How about the intel failure that failed to predict a under the dark mission of the SL army to re supply the tigers with weapons, when Indian Army was busy snatching away their weapons?

How can you squarely blame the whining and self important Tamils as meddling in a soverign nations foreign policy?? when India kick started everything.

Last edited:

happy

PM likely to skip Commonwealth summit in Sri Lanka

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is unlikely to go to Sri Lanka to attend the CHOGM summit in view of the strong sentiments in Tamil Nadu against the visit.

At a meeting of the top brass of the Congress at the residence of the Prime Minister on Friday morning a view emerged that it would be "difficult" for Singh to visit Sri Lanka at this juncture, party sources said.

They said that the meeting took note of the fact that all political parties in Tamil Nadu are opposed to a visit by the Prime Minister to Sri Lanka and that the state assembly had passed a unanimous resolution against India participating in the Commonwealth summit.

The Congress core group meeting at the Prime Minister's residence was chaired by party president Sonia Gandhi and was attended among others by senior ministers A K Antony, P Chidambaram, Sushilkumar Shinde and Gandhi's political secretary Ahmed Patel.

The sources, however, said that a final decision has not been taken. It could take a day or two for the government to formalize its stand, they indicated.

Political parties in Tamil Nadu and several other outfits have opposed India's participation at any level in the CHOGM meet alleging that the Sri Lankan government had committed gross violation of human rights and had no plans to devolve powers to the ethnic Tamils.

PM likely to skip Commonwealth summit in Sri Lanka - The Times of India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I believe, notwithstanding all the grand standing, the Govt has shown once again their acumen in dithering and confused approach to issues, major minor.

I believe the PM has opted out for domestic politics exigencies.

nirranj

Country flag
I was just curious, what will be the damage to India if china gets a foothold In Sri Lanka just beacuse India takes a Pro Tamil Stand in the Islands long standing ethnic problem???

What is that serious damage to the nations Security??

When the Chinese are already coming inside our borders and do all sorts of things inside our sovereign territory (tenting, Sight Seeing, threatening us to vacate our bunkers and Observatory posts, groom their dogs etc etc)

What will be the advantage that Pakistan is going to get??

When they are already boarding auto's in kashmir and are attacking our cantontments?? when they are beheading our soldiers???

And what can China do when we are the masters of Indian Ocean??

And what the F can Pakistan do when our Navy rules over them??

Come on, this tiny Island is just in our back yard...

If we cannot assert our authority here, then what are we proving by hosting Dalai Lama??

What are we proving by investing Billions in Afghanistan??

What is OVL doing off the coasts of Vietnam??

All these national security sounds are because LTTE assasinated Rajeev Gandhi??

The fact is they automatically became outcasts in TN and it became a Taboo to speak of them (As majority in TN felt they have back stabbed India)

But that doesn't means we have forgotten the sufferings of the common Tamil in the Hands of the SL majority community. And that doesn't means that India can be blind to the Genocide.

Then What do we do with the Stupid commies who blame India is siding the Americans against the Chinese??

nirranj

Country flag
I believe, notwithstanding all the grand standing, the Govt has shown once again their acumen in dithering and confused approach to issues, major minor.

I believe the PM has opted out for domestic politics exigencies.
This happens when we have stupid leaders who make their personal beliefs/interests as national Interests.

Just like Rajeev Gandhi sent IPKF and Just as MMS allowed the SL to commit a Genocide in favor of a stupid reprisal. And not to mention Indira Gandhi's peace dove avatar, when she left the 90000 POW's to go in return for nothing!! not even POK!!!

tramp

The crux of Tamil anger over New Delhi's treatment of Sri Lanka with kid gloves lies in the mindset that does not see anything wrong when the national media keeps calling victims of Sri Lankan navy excesses as "Tamil fishermen" and not "Indian fishermen".

The same media report of "Indian fishermen" when Gujarati or Marathi fishermen are harassed by Pakistan or Bengali fishermen are harassed by Bangladesh.

HeinzGud

Country flag
We again came into the picture (this time again in the dark) and supplied them with the equipments and intelligence to destroy the Rebels.
What intel did India supplied to Sri Lanka in the final war? AFAIK even the locations of the LTTE cargo ships were given by the USA. Though it is undeniable that India supplied SL with military hardware to the best they can.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It will be a serious loss of face for the President of Sri Lanka if the Indian PM does not attend the CHOGM.

Obviously, it will have repercussions.

bose

Country flag
What intel did India supplied to Sri Lanka in the final war? AFAIK even the locations of the LTTE cargo ships were given by the USA. Though it is undeniable that India supplied SL with military hardware to the best they can.
The biggest help from India is that it did not allowed LTTE chief to flee from Jafna... or else you know the consequences...

As I have posted some 6 months back that if India wanted we could have done some nasty things to you... we refrained from it inspite of your un friendly actions in 70's... but that does not mean that all is closed for Tamil people of Sri Lanka in future...

amoy

India won't be isolated,but IMO India must participate in in
That's why I predicted earlier MMS would still go to the Colombo wealth summit before his retirement despite all the hoopla. No need to make a fuss over "human rights violation" like the pot calling the kettle black. Let's wait and see.
He also told that the "Prime Minister of India is not only leader in this region but leader in Asia, leader in Commonwealth and even in fact the world, so bearing that in mind....it is a decision that India will have to take bearing in mind the national responsibilities and their profile."

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That's why I predicted earlier MMS would still go to the Colombo wealth summit before his retirement despite all the hoopla. No need to make a fuss over "human rights violation" like the pot calling the kettle black. Let's wait and see.

Look who is talking!

It is the pot and the kettle combined totally black and uncleanable!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles