India wants UK to return Kohinoor, other artifacts

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Why would the British give Kohinoor back? They won the war, and they got the booty - end of story. And why would they give even a single dime? Nobody is asking Italy to pay back what Romans took away; or the French, or Dutch. It happened during the period when the 'might was right'. The sword decided the law, and by that law they are the rightful owner. Let the bygones be bygones, else we all would have do penance for what our forefathers did thousands of years ago, by destroying a greater civilization. Aryans were barbarians, and a good majority of Indian carries their blood.

Come back to real world guys, why waste valuable time and money for some worthless effort. Indian diplomats are paid high enough (by Indian standard) that they shouldn't waste their effort and national resource after illogical pursuit. Does anybody logically believes that British would hand back the Kohinoor like a borrowed cup of sugar? It is in the crown of their queen for crying out loud! And they still call their country United KINGDOM of Great Britain. Asking them to hand back Kohinoor and campaigning for it, would not even be silly, it would be Hilarious!

AkhandBharat

Why would the British give Kohinoor back? They won the war, and they got the booty - end of story. And why would they give even a single dime? Nobody is asking Italy to pay back what Romans took away; or the French, or Dutch. It happened during the period when the 'might was right'. The sword decided the law, and by that law they are the rightful owner.
The question is: Why should we not ask it back considering it is a very important artifact and it will restore the hurt pride of Indians and also help reinforcing the world opinion that India should not be trifled with now that it is an economic and a military power? If might is right, this is a golden opportunity for India to gain as much diplomatic advantage to its interests as possible and getting our ancient artifacts will bring back a sense of pride in Indians and give them renewed vigor and patriotism.

Let the bygones be bygones, else we all would have do penance for what our forefathers did thousands of years ago, by destroying a greater civilization.
Destroying a greater civilization? Care to explain?

Aryans were barbarians, and a good majority of Indian carries their blood.
Which timeline are you talking about? Every culture arose from barbarians by definition. What kind of stupid statement is this? The entire world by that definition carries the blood of barbarians.

Come back to real world guys, why waste valuable time and money for some worthless effort.
We do live in the real world. In today's 'Real World', India can throw its weight around, and it is indeed doing it.

Indian diplomats are paid high enough (by Indian standard) that they shouldn't waste their effort and national resource after illogical pursuit. Does anybody logically believes that British would hand back the Kohinoor like a borrowed cup of sugar? It is in the crown of their queen for crying out loud! And they still call their country United KINGDOM of Great Britain. Asking them to hand back Kohinoor and campaigning for it, would not even be silly, it would be Hilarious!
The Brits won't hand it back, but we will get it back from them. This lobbying has been going on for decades, even when we were a poor nation because unlike you, the diplomats and the government realizes the importance of national artifacts and its effects on its junta. So, I suggest you leave the effort to India's government because they are doing the right thing here and go back to whatever you do for a living because this is clearly above your paygrade.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
The question is: Why should we not ask it back considering it is a very important artifact and it will restore the hurt pride of Indians and also help reinforcing the world opinion that India should not be trifled with now that it is an economic and a military power? If might is right, this is a golden opportunity for India to gain as much diplomatic advantage to its interests as possible and getting our ancient artifacts will bring back a sense of pride in Indians and give them renewed vigor and patriotism.
I don't think we have to get back Kohinoor or Tip Sultan's sword or Tagore's pictures to feel any sense of pride about being Indian. I'm already proud for my country, but unlike many I don't want to dwell on what once had been.

Also, do you really want to compare the world 'diplomatic' scenario or 'international relationship' of that period to modern world? Well, waste you time - after all it's your time.

Indus Valley civilization, which fell prey to Aryan invasion.

Which timeline are you talking about? Every culture arose from barbarians by definition. What kind of stupid statement is this? The entire world by that definition carries the blood of barbarians.
Oops! I made a mistake in forming my sentence. I meant to say Aryans were barbarians compared to Indus Valley people. Indus Valley civilizations were hundreds of years ahead of Aryans in terms of civilization. Just take a peek at any Indian History books, and I wont have to answer whys. If I may, I would use a very big 'IF'. IF Aryans were defeated by Indus Valley people, human race might have reached stars by now. But, hey, it was a course of history. Had it not happened you or I, none would have been seating in front of a computer, or PDA, and discussing/fighting over this issue.

We do live in the real world. In today's 'Real World', India can throw its weight around, and it is indeed doing it.
Sure India can throw her weight around, although it seems to me Mannu Paji needs a tuition for it. But hey, stranger things have happened! But any sensible person knows that throwing its weight up and down, and in every issue, is called bullying - and yes, in international diplomacy bullying works great, but the bully needs to have a lots of muscle to back him up. Do you really think India has that muscle - leave military muscle aside, even a brain-dead knows India wont start a skirmish with UK just for a shiny piece of rock - but economical or diplomatic muscle? Last I checked it isn't. It will be a huge economical power in future, but it isn't now. And now is what one should think, since now is when you want to campaign for it.

The Brits won't hand it back, but we will get it back from them. This lobbying has been going on for decades, even when we were a poor nation because unlike you, the diplomats and the government realizes the importance of national artifacts and its effects on its junta.

Oookey, now just tell me how can you get that back if Brits wont part with it. Lobbying alone will never do - at least for the case of Kohinoor. And I don't think even you wouldn't say India would start boycotting ;) brits, or sanctioning against UK or to think complete insanity, wage war on it. Do you?

So, I suggest you leave the effort to India's government because they are doing the right thing here and go back to whatever you do for a living because this is clearly above your paygrade.
Oh honey, it's definitely above my pay grade. Since people at my pay grade have to work and sweat. And if I haven't mistaken, majority of Indian people are from my paygrade - the low one. Unfortunately, in this paygrade we don't have the luxury of thinking about the lost glory but hoping for a brighter future with me in it.

But then in my state, the CM is more concerned about the Tagore's pictures (which as I understood he himself gifted to somebody, then went to a trust and now being auctioned for a good cause where future owners will take good care of them since they are paying a good money- a perfectly legitimate thing) than threat of Maoist terrorists. I guess, after all, it is good opportunity of vacationing at Britain, sponsored by tax-payers money. A low stress venture in diplomatic mud, should be sort of vacationing for the diplomat who had to deal constantly with a growing nation's demand at other more intricate dealings of greater complexity.

AkhandBharat

I don't think we have to get back Kohinoor or Tip Sultan's sword or Tagore's pictures to feel any sense of pride about being Indian. I'm already proud for my country, but unlike many I don't want to dwell on what once had been.
Sure, you don't! Which is why we don't need people like you in the administration. We need people who can draw the line and say 'enough is enough'. We need people who can give the country its rightful ownership of its ancient artifacts. We need people who can give this country its rightful place in the world order. If you are proud by staying in the closet, calling the injustice done to the Indian population for 200 years as 'bygone', then you are not really proud.

Also, do you really want to compare the world 'diplomatic' scenario or 'international relationship' of that period to modern world? Well, waste you time - after all it's your time.
Yes, I do. Because its relevant here, since you said 'might is right'. I'm wasting time, if you are wasting yours!

Indus Valley civilization, which fell prey to Aryan invasion.
This is a classic example of how ignorant you are. Indus valley civilization was an Aryan civilization. This is a byproduct of your memorization of textbooks which still teaches theories published by british to hold their ownership of the subcontinent. You have the internet at your disposal. Look around by typing in "The myth of the Aryan invasion".

Here's something for you to rack your brain:

It turns out that there are serious problems with this argument. There are no references to an invasion in the Vedic manuscripts; and the Sanskrit word "Aryas" means "noble", not a superior cultural group. Secondly, recent archaeological evidence suggests that the Indus civilization was shut down by droughts combined with a devasting flood, not a violent confrontation. Recent archaeological evidence also shows that many of the so-called "Indus River" valley peoples lived in the Sarasvati River, which is mentioned in the Vedic manuscripts as a homeland. There is no biological or archaeological evidence of a massive invasion of people of a different race.
Oops! I made a mistake in forming my sentence. I meant to say Aryans were barbarians compared to Indus Valley people. Indus Valley civilizations were hundreds of years ahead of Aryans in terms of civilization. Just take a peek at any Indian History books, and I wont have to answer whys. If I may, I would use a very big 'IF'. IF Aryans were defeated by Indus Valley people, human race might have reached stars by now. But, hey, it was a course of history. Had it not happened you or I, none would have been seating in front of a computer, or PDA, and discussing/fighting over this issue.
LOL! Hilarious to the T!

Sure India can throw her weight around, although it seems to me Mannu Paji needs a tuition for it. But hey, stranger things have happened! But any sensible person knows that throwing its weight up and down, and in every issue, is called bullying - and yes, in international diplomacy bullying works great, but the bully needs to have a lots of muscle to back him up. Do you really think India has that muscle - leave military muscle aside, even a brain-dead knows India wont start a skirmish with UK just for a shiny piece of rock - but economical or diplomatic muscle? Last I checked it isn't. It will be a huge economical power in future, but it isn't now. And now is what one should think, since now is when you want to campaign for it.
No, diplomacy is not bullying, its protecting and projecting one's interests. And Yes, India has the muscle to gain diplomatic victory. Who the heck is talking about starting a war? I'm talking about getting the artifacts back and Britain will have to acquiesce to Indian diplomacy if not now, then in a decade. If it doesn't, it will have to face consequences in the future, because people don't forget and when US declines and China and India play heavyweights, Britain will have nowhere to hide.

Oookey, now just tell me how can you get that back if Brits wont part with it. Lobbying alone will never do - at least for the case of Kohinoor. And I don't think even you wouldn't say India would start boycotting ;) brits, or sanctioning against UK or to think complete insanity, wage war on it. Do you?
Brits will have to part with it. If not now, then in a decade. Time is ticking. Britain's deficit is 12% of its GDP, its economy is faltering, its household debt is 170% of its income. Britain's external debt is 416% of its GDP. Britain is all set to decline in the next decade. It will be in its best interests not to irk India, if it doesn't want to slide below the tipping point.

Oh honey, it's definitely above my pay grade. Since people at my pay grade have to work and sweat. And if I haven't mistaken, majority of Indian people are from my paygrade - the low one. Unfortunately, in this paygrade we don't have the luxury of thinking about the lost glory but hoping for a brighter future with me in it.
Then don't comment on it. Both India and China are throwing their weight around to get their precious ancient artifacts back. Both have been partially successful as well. And both will eventually be fully successful in getting all their looted stuff back.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You think whining to the UN to beg for lost treasures is going to show the might of India? Thats a laugh... India can show its economic might by buying them back. The British crown won't give them for free and India is in no position to make them give it back.

Referring to the British colonisation of India I presume. Jackprince's point is still valid. No one is going to get paid reparations for wars they lost. You only get paid when you win.

Going to file a complaint at UNESCO is not "throwing its weight around." Little countries like Costa Rica are doing the same thing. Only way India can throw its weight around is to threaten sanctions on the UK, or to offer payment.

The Brits won't hand it back, but we will get it back from them. This lobbying has been going on for decades, even when we were a poor nation because unlike you, the diplomats and the government realizes the importance of national artifacts and its effects on its junta. So, I suggest you leave the effort to India's government because they are doing the right thing here and go back to whatever you do for a living because this is clearly above your paygrade.
You have been lobbying for decades yet nothing happened. You still lobby and nothing will happen. Complaining does not bring action. Even US complaining does not bring action. India doing it only breeds the same results... failure. You should go back to whatever you do for a living because international politics is not your forté.

AkhandBharat

You think whining to the UN to beg for lost treasures is going to show the might of India? Thats a laugh... India can show its economic might by buying them back. The British crown won't give them for free and India is in no position to make them give it back.
Who the heck is whining to the UK? India is going to campaign in the UN and this time it won't be alone. Its a legal recourse. Ofcourse, India can show its might by buying it back, but it won't. We are not stupid. Its rightfully ours.

Referring to the British colonisation of India I presume. Jackprince's point is still valid. No one is going to get paid reparations for wars they lost. You only get paid when you win.
Who the heck is talking about war reparations? I am talking about getting India's artifacts back. War reparations are a different story and there will come a time when that issue will be on the table. And that time will come soon, considering how Europe is on the verge of economic collapse.

Going to file a complaint at UNESCO is not "throwing its weight around." Little countries like Costa Rica are doing the same thing. Only way India can throw its weight around is to threaten sanctions on the UK, or to offer payment.
This will be a consortium of countries legally fighting for what is rightfully theirs. India can even include China in getting back all the artifacts the countries of the colonial era took away. You will oblige sooner or later. And sanctions by western nations don't mean jack shit to anyone. Your sanctions couldn't prevent North Korea to acquire nuclear weapons and ICBMs, neither will it in the case of Iran prevent it from acquiring Nuclear weapons, considering Turkey and Brazil are doing backdoor negotiations to enrich Iran's stockpile and bypass the stupid sanctions that the UNSC passed. Sanctions didn't work on India either in 1999 and it was a blessing in disguise for India to jumpstart its defence manufacturing. LOL at your sanctions!

You have been lobbying for decades yet nothing happened. You still lobby and nothing will happen. Complaining does not bring action. Even US complaining does not bring action. India doing it only breeds the same results... failure. You should go back to whatever you do for a living because international politics is not your forté.
This is not complaining. This will now be a legal battle. And it will bring results. You should go back to whatever you do for a living because understanding the effect of the rise of Asia and decline of Europe is clearly not your forte'.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Who the heck is whining to the UK? India is going to campaign in the UN and this time it won't be alone. Its a legal recourse. Ofcourse, India can show its might by buying it back, but it won't. We are not stupid. Its rightfully ours.
I said whining to the UN, not the UK. India is campaign to UNESCO which is not a legal recourse. It is the cultural heritage promotional body of the UN. They set up travelling museums and cultural exchange. It is the ICJ that determines legal recourse.

Who the heck is talking about war reparations? I am talking about getting India's artifacts back. War reparations are a different story and there will come a time when that issue will be on the table. And that time will come soon, considering how Europe is on the verge of economic collapse.
What do you think reparations are? Reparations are the replenishment of previously inflicted loss. A cash strapped Europe will not part with its artefacts unless somebody pays for it. The fact we aren't swimming in money only belabours that point.

This will be a consortium of countries legally fighting for what is rightfully theirs. India can even include China in getting back all the artifacts the countries of the colonial era took away. You will oblige sooner or later. And sanctions by western nations don't mean jack shit to anyone. Your sanctions couldn't prevent North Korea to acquire nuclear weapons and ICBMs, neither will it in the case of Iran prevent it from acquiring Nuclear weapons, considering Turkey and Brazil are doing backdoor negotiations to enrich Iran's stockpile and bypass the stupid sanctions that the UNSC passed. Sanctions didn't work on India either in 1999 and it was a blessing in disguise for India to jumpstart its defence manufacturing. LOL at your sanctions!
You must have a problem with reading comprehension. Why would we use sanctions? We already have the items. I was referring to India using their economic power to achieve their political aims. The only tool they have are sanctions (which won't get anything except a trade war) or paying for it. Seriously, read before you post.

This is not complaining. This will now be a legal battle. And it will bring results. You should go back to whatever you do for a living because understanding the effect of the rise of Asia and decline of Europe is clearly not your forte'.
Going to UNESCO is an attempt to garner support in a UN body. It is not even a legal action as that body has no powers. They have been complaining ever since the colonial period ended and will continue to complain until someone posts some cash. Europe isn't listening to whining, but money talks. The rise of Asia is not a political body to be concerned with. There is no Asian unity, in fact it is the most politically divided continent on earth.

AkhandBharat

I said whining to the UN, not the UK. India is campaign to UNESCO which is not a legal recourse. It is the cultural heritage promotional body of the UN. They set up travelling museums and cultural exchange. It is the ICJ that determines legal recourse. Going to UNESCO is an attempt to garner support in a UN body. It is not even a legal action as that body has no powers. They have been complaining ever since the colonial period ended and will continue to complain until someone posts some cash.
India is campaigning in the UNESCO to garner support from the countries which have lost their heritage to colonial powers. Its a PR campaign which is the first step. Once the list of all the artifacts from the colonized countries is made, the countries affected will then plan a legal recourse. Read the article.

What do you think reparations are? Reparations are the replenishment of previously inflicted loss. A cash strapped Europe will not part with its artefacts unless somebody pays for it. The fact we aren't swimming in money only belabours that point.
Yes, and artifacts are not replenishments of previously inflicted losses. That issue will come up when India is in a position to discuss it. For now, The issue brought up is getting the artifacts back in the country. You will be forced to part with it. That is the point in first establishing a PR campaign to form a coalition led by India and China and then fighting a legal battle.

You must have a problem with reading comprehension. Why would we use sanctions? We already have the items. I was referring to India using their economic power to achieve their political aims. The only tool they have are sanctions (which won't get anything except a trade war) or paying for it. Seriously, read before you post.
LOL! You haven't read the article and my post and the plan to get the artifacts and you're saying I'm devoid of comprehension skills? I said that sanctions are as ineffective as lobbying. It will not work in today's multipolar world where countries like Iran and North Korea can be shielded by Russia/China. Sanctions were also mocked by India after the 1998 Pokhran blasts and India laughed its way to both economic progress and military development.

Europe isn't listening to whining, but money talks. The rise of Asia is not a political body to be concerned with. There is no Asian unity, in fact it is the most politically divided continent on earth.
Europe is more fractured than Asia. It's because of Europe that the world had to see two world wars. And you're preaching about Asian unity? ASEAN+3 alone is capable of punching Europe in the nutsack!

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Yeah right, like France won wars to treasure all the precious artifacts in its coffers that don't even relate to the French heritage.

Comic relief:

Aggressive diplomacy or blatant theft. Either of these two can get you your national artifacts back (or steal another country's), if you don't want to pay for what's yours (you don't have to).

AkhandBharat

Not to mention that france almost ceased to have existed as a nation in world war 2.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
India is campaigning in the UNESCO to garner support from the countries which have lost their heritage to colonial powers. Its a PR campaign which is the first step. Once the list of all the artifacts from the colonized countries is made, the countries affected will then plan a legal recourse. Read the article.
You said " India is going to campaign in the UN and this time it won't be alone. Its a legal recourse." I corrected your misinformation... it is not a legal recourse. It is whining to UNESCO which has no legal authority. Read your own posts.

Yes, and artifacts are not replenishments of previously inflicted losses. That issue will come up when India is in a position to discuss it. For now, The issue brought up is getting the artifacts back in the country. You will be forced to part with it. That is the point in first establishing a PR campaign to form a coalition led by India and China and then fighting a legal battle.
Getting the artefacts back is a replenishment of a loss. You lost it, now you want it back. It is the very definition of the word. No one can make us give it back. If you take it to the ICJ, we will just veto it. The UNSC enforces the decisions of the ICJ so even if you do get a judgement, we will just ignore you as we have always done. Monetary payment is the only way to interest European governments. Sorry that you were misinformed of the process, you have no power.

LOL! You haven't read the article and my post and the plan to get the artifacts and you're saying I'm devoid of comprehension skills? I said that sanctions are as ineffective as lobbying. It will not work in today's multipolar world where countries like Iran and North Korea can be shielded by Russia/China. Sanctions were also mocked by India after the 1998 Pokhran blasts and India laughed its way to both economic progress and military development.
You said "And sanctions by western nations don't mean jack shit to anyone." I wasn't talking about Western sanctions so clearly it is YOU with the comprehension problem.

Europe is more fractured than Asia. It's because of Europe that the world had to see two world wars. And you're preaching about Asian unity? ASEAN+3 alone is capable of punching Europe in the nutsack!
ASEAN+3 punching us in the nuts? There is no such thing as ASEAN+3. We are not scared of the figments of your imagination.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Yeah right, like France won wars to treasure all the precious artifacts in its coffers that don't even relate to the French heritage.
Yeah right... we won several wars. Napoleon expanded the French empire to the far reaches of the globe and we still retain the largest collection of overseas territories on Earth.

Comic relief:
Comic relief is the 750,000 German POWs forced to reconstruct France.

Aggressive diplomacy or blatant theft. Either of these two can get you your national artifacts back (or steal another country's), if you don't want to pay for what's yours (you don't have to).
Diplomacy hasn't gotten anything back unless it also included something the other party wanted. Theft would incur an international incident that would far outweigh the benefits of the action. I have something you want, what do you do? Make an offer is the only legitimate recourse. That is how "diplomacy" works.

Oracle

Relax guys. Arman2REP did not day anything anti-India. He is pro India.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Relax guys. Arman2REP did not day anything anti-India. He is pro India.
It is very simple what I am saying. If you want it back you are going to have to make on offer, either straight cash or some kind of favourable business deal. There is no legal recourse to get it back when UK and France sit on the UNSC. That is what it comes down to. Complaining hasn't worked and it won't work. No one is listening. Even their very strategy has it going on a "case by case basis" which will not bring enough pressure for anyone to open their ears. I want India to get her stuff back, but I am also REALISTIC as to the only way it can be done.

nandu

Can't return Kohinoor diamond to India: Britain

The UK has rejected India's fresh demand to return its priceless artefacts like Kohinoor diamond and Sultanganj Buddha "stolen" during the British colonial rule, citing a law that prevents it from giving back the items.

"The British Museum Act 1963 prevents our national museums from removing items...the government has no plan to change the law," the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said.

It made the statement in response to an appeal by Gautam Sengupta, Director—General of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI). The ASI is planning to join a campaign with the support of UNESCO and other countries to get back the artefacts.

In an interview to The Independent, Mr. Sengupta had said, "As efforts so far to reclaim stolen treasures have proved futile, UNESCO support is required for launching an international campaign to achieve this end" as India's treasures held abroad are "too long to handle" and require "diplomatic and legal campaign".

Decisions taken by museum trustees

The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokeswoman said that there is a strong public feeling on the restitution debate and decisions are taken by museum trustees in which politicians do not interfere.

"It's a long—established principle in the UK, supported by successive governments." The British law only permits return of human remains and objects lost during the "Nazi era".

Mughal era's Kohinoor diamond, Sultanganj Buddha, rechristened as the Birmingham Buddha, Amravati railings, a series of limestone carvings dating back to 100 AD, Saraswati idol, a sculpture of the deity from the Bhoj temple, are among the items on the ASI's list.

There is a mounting pressure on the erstwhile colonial countries to restitute heritage items as "not only India, various countries like Mexico, Peru, China, Bolivia, Cyprus and Guatemala also voiced similar concern" and are planning to join the UNESCO campaign, the ASI chief said.

http://beta.thehindu.com/news/international/article446526.ece

Oracle

Cameron asked to discuss Kohinoor return to India

LONDON: Keith Vaz, the Indian-origin British MP, wants the Kohinoor diamond to be returned to India and asks Prime Minister David Cameron to discuss the issue of its return during his visit to India next week.

Vaz said in a statement: "I believe that this is the perfect opportunity for the prime minister to discuss the issue of the Kohinoor. It would be very fitting for the Kohinoor to return to the country in which it was mined so soon after the diamond jubilee of the Indian republic and 161 years after its removal from India."

Vaz said the return of the treasure to India would give meaning to the new coalition government's desire to enter into a new era of partnership with India. "This will certainly convey a new age of Indo-British relations. The prime minister will certainly win the hearts of all Indians if he is prepared to discuss the display of the Kohinoor in India itself, and possibly even its permanent return."

The diamond was taken to England in 1849 following the defeat of the ruler of the Punjab region, Duleep Singh, and the annexation of the Punjab. As part of the Treaty of Lahore settlement, the gem was surrendered to Queen Victoria. It was last worn in public by the late Queen Mother and last seen set inside the Maltese Cross on the crown placed on top of the coffin at her funeral.

Since Indian independence, there have been several requests for the return of the gem to what all Indians consider its home in India. The latest was the demand made by the Archaeological Survey of India last month. It is also planning to join a campaign with the support of UNESCO and other countries to regain lost artefacts and treasures.

However, the British government rejected this demand saying that the diamond had been "legitimately acquired". It cited the British Museum Act 1963 to assert that it prevents the government from giving back the diamond.

rcscwc

Tihar Jail
Banned
Who is the real owner of the kohinoor....
1.india
2.pakistan
3.bangladesh
4. iran
INDIA. It was found in India, Panna mines. For a brief period it was in Afghan hands. Last known, Mah Ranjit Singh had it. After the fall of Sikh kingdoms, it was USURPED by the British.

It belongs to India.

BUT, a BIG BUT.

KN is studded into into the British Crown, hence India was Jewel of the Empire. Return would mean destruction of THAT so called CROWN. Will the British ever agree? Slim chances.

See the REAL POLITIK here as Chanakya might see it.

Personal, you need not agree:

KH in British hands is a National SHAME. Let every Indian know about their SHAMES. Then, as per Bhagavad Gita, convert that the resultant shame INTO ANGER, to be forged as a WEAPON.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Theiving british are running out of stolen wealth...soon they will suffer.

pmaitra

Indian family launch court action for return of Koh-i-Noor diamond

The descendants of the last Maharaja of the Sikh Empire, who was forced to hand over the Koh-i-Noor diamond to Queen Victoria, will on Monday launch a court action for his body and possessions to be returned to India.
[HR][/HR]
The petition from a family claiming to be the descendants of Duleep Singh, who was exiled to Britain, aims to force the Indian government to intensify its efforts to reclaim the Koh-i-Noor.

The jewel is currently mounted in the crown of the Queen Consort, last worn by the late Queen Mother.

The family is also seeking the return of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's golden throne and for both to be kept at the Golden Temple, the centre of the Sikh faith, in Amrtisar, India.

Their case reopens a controversial chapter in British colonial history that still arouses strong passions in India, particularly in Punjab, where Sikhs regard the exile of Duleep Singh and his "gift" of the Koh-i-Noor diamond to Queen Victoria in 1850 as a national humiliation.

The diamond had been acquired by his father, Maharaja Ranjit Singh, from the deposed Afghan ruler Shuja Shah Durrani as his price to support his return to power in Kabul.
[HR][/HR]
Following his exile at 15, Duleep Singh had been raised by guardians in Britain as an English and Scottish gentleman, encouraged to convert to Christianity, and to forget his Indian origins.

He lived in Castle Menzies in Perthshire where his dandyish taste in clothes and love of shooting won him the nickname the 'Black Prince of Perthshire'. He was set up with a shooting estate at Elvedon, Suffolk and later sought in vain to become a Tory MP.

But according to Campbell, he rebelled in 1887 and made contact with the Sandhanwalias.

"He rebelled against his Empress and entered into a bizarre conspiracy with a right-wing Moscow newspaper magnate, Irish nationalists and Sikh patriots (the Sandhanwalias) to reclaim his birthright. As well as the empire of his father, the great Ranjit Singh, which stretched from the Indian Ocean to the Himalayas, it included the Koh-I-Noor diamond. Duleep claimed he'd been tricked out of it by Queen Victoria. He referred to her as 'Mrs Fagin," he said.
Source: Indian family launch court action for return of Koh-i-Noor diamond - Telegraph

LalTopi

Re: Indian family launch court action for return of Koh-i-Noor diamond

Source: Indian family launch court action for return of Koh-i-Noor diamond - Telegraph
Yes. I saw that too. I notice that the closet English racists are out in force again. Just to wind them up and put the record straight, I have joined up under the user name 'kapa' - would be great if other members could also join up and start educating the English.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles