India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The difference is half their country does NOT want to be with them and would rather be with India than them.

They wanted our help. We betrayed them.
I don't want them or their land to be a part of my nation.

However, we must give them refuge on our land if they so desire, and accord them a status commiserate with the one we accord to 'Indian origin' minorities of Pak, Bd, Astan. Although that's not saying much, but it is what it is.

SPIEZ

Country flag
I thought personal opinions didn't matter. Anyways even the sardars were not wanted as a part of our country, didn't we all get over it.

Instead of rehabilitation in India, where we don't have land for even ourselves, why not instead start a watch-group in Lanka for Tamils.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I don't want them or their land to be a part of my nation.

However, we must give them refuge on our land if they so desire, and accord them a status commiserate with the one we accord to 'Indian origin' minorities of Pak, Bd, Astan. Although that's not saying much, but it is what it is.
First of all "want to be with us" means they were ready to be our friends, ready to be our 'outpost' on that island.

And giving them refuge is nothing when they have to leave behind their entire belongings over there and live here as refugees. Instead they should have been helped to regain what was theirs..or rather the help to them which was being given should have been continued as it was in the best interests of both them and us. A mutually beneficial relationship.

However all it took was one idiot to screw it all up. Waste all the hardwork put in by India till that time. History will not pardon him.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Allright explain to me.

Was this tamil eelam supposed to be an independent country or officially another Indian state.
It was to be an independent country , a satellite state of India..much like how Cuba was to USSR and it was until that disastrous moment in 1987. The LTTE always viewed India as its pillar of support and it was the shock of getting betrayed by who they saw as their own was what drove them to madness. The LTTE has regretted its action (regarding RG) very often after that and Anton Balasingham is on public saying that. But then past is past and no use musing about that.

Supporting LTTE was a mistake to begin with, direct intervention should have been done by Indian army...govt got cold feet because they thought later on this same LTTE could demand separate country for tamils even in India. Everything is not clear cut.
No direct intervention would have been a blunder (I thought you would have known it after Operation Pawan)..and after direct intervention how will you maintain your control on the land ?

And again wrong...getting Tamil Nadu into Eezhaam was never on anyone;s agenda - not on the Tamils nor on the LTTE's. Its just a big bag of BS sold to justify Indian support to Lanka against LTTE by raising the secession spectre. Any kid with a double digit IQ knows the chance of TN's secession from India (0%).

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
First of all "want to be with us" means they were ready to be our friends, ready to be our 'outpost' on that island.
Not in our strategic interest.

And giving them refuge is nothing when they have to leave behind their entire belongings over there and live here as refugees.
Tough luck.

Instead they should have been helped to regain what was theirs..or rather the help to them which was being given should have been continued as it was in the best interests of both them and us. A mutually beneficial relationship.
not in our strategic interest.

However all it took was one idiot to screw it all up. Waste all the hardwork put in by India till that time. History will not pardon him.
Lets see.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
It was to be an independent country , a satellite state of India..much like how Cuba was to USSR and it was until that disastrous moment in 1987. The LTTE always viewed India as its pillar of support and it was the shock of getting betrayed by who they saw as their own was what drove them to madness. The LTTE has regretted its action (regarding RG) very often after that and Anton Balasingham is on public saying that. But then past is past and no use musing about that.
we don't need a satellite state, a stone's throw from the state itself. doesn't suit us.

No direct intervention would have been a blunder (I thought you would have known it after Operation Pawan)..and after direct intervention how will you maintain your control on the land ?

And again wrong...getting Tamil Nadu into Eezhaam was never on anyone;s agenda - not on the Tamils nor on the LTTE's. Its just a big bag of BS sold to justify Indian support to LTTE.
supporting ltte was stupid, going to war with it was stupid, ltte's terrorism was stupid. shyt happens, move on.

mayfair

we don't need a satellite state, a stone's throw from the state itself. doesn't suit us.
Oh it suits us very well. Ever heard the concept of a buffer state?

supporting ltte was stupid, going to war with it was stupid, ltte's terrorism was stupid. shyt happens, move on.
Shite happens. Moving on..Strangely though, no one tells that to victims of the Gujarat riots..

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Oh it suits us very well. Ever heard the concept of a buffer state?
from wiki

"A buffer state is a country lying between two rival or potentially hostile greater powers, which by its sheer existence is thought to prevent conflict between them. "

Sri Lanka is Not a rival, hostile, powerful, belligerent country.

Shite happens. Moving on..Strangely though, no one tells that to victims of the Gujarat riots..
because SL Tamils are 'foreigners' and Godhra pogrom affected are Indians.

mayfair

from wiki

"A buffer state is a country lying between two rival or potentially hostile greater powers, which by its sheer existence is thought to prevent conflict between them. "

Sri Lanka is Not a rival, hostile, powerful, belligerent country.
Albeit one which is dancing to Cheeni-Paki tunes. A buffer state would also refer to one which will keep unfriendly influences away from one's borders.

So were Bangladeshis in 1971, but we interfered because it was the right thing to do.
So were the Tibetans in the 1950s. We cowardly chose not to interefere and the consequences are there for all to see.

And either way since they are foreigners, stop telling them to move on.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Albeit one which is dancing to Cheeni-Paki tunes.
conjecture.

A buffer state would also refer to one which will keep unfriendly influences away from one's borders.
not applicable to our case

So were Bangladeshis in 1971, but we interfered because it was the right thing to do.
Morality was the lcd.

So were the Tibetans in the 1950s. We cowardly chose not to interefere and the consequences are there for all to see.
what is the consequence ? I think it was a pretty smart move.

And either way since they are foreigners, stop telling them to move on.
why shouldn't I ?

Poseidon

Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if someone says that Prabhakaran & Charles were killed by Indian SF's.After all we most probably provided the SL's with Aerial intel.

mayfair

conjecture.
Hardly

not applicable to our case
It is

Morality was the lcd.
Rather it was a calculated maneuvre in the garb of morality. A good one though

what is the consequence ? I think it was a pretty smart move.
Letting Chicoms creep in on our borders and threaten us with war hardly counts as smart. 1962 war would have never happened if Tibet was an independent nation. Letting an unfriendly and hostile nation control our water supplies..hardly matters of no consequence.

why shouldn't I ?
Because you said that they are not of this country.

Phenom

from wiki

They are foreigners to you, not to the 50 millions Tamils in India, stop telling us how we (Tamils) should think and who we should identify with.

Also we'll 'move on' after the Sikh community moves on from the '84 riots. Shoes are still thrown at the Home Minister because of the riots that killed three thousand people more than quarter-a-century ago and you expect us to move on from the genocide that killed 30000 people, just 3 years ago.

To Tamil members:

Why start such threads?
These threads just become excuses for people to come and lecture about patriotism and national interest and what not. Why go through the same thing again and again?

mayfair

^^Phenom mate, please do not try and divide the members by adressing them only on the basis of race and ethnicity. It gives the impression that only Tamils are concerned about Tamil issues and Sikhs about 1984.

It is certainly not the case.

SPIEZ

Country flag
They are foreigners to you, not to the 50 millions Tamils in India, stop telling us how we (Tamils) should think and who we should identify with.

Also we'll 'move on' after the Sikh community moves on from the '84 riots. Shoes are still thrown at the Home Minister because of the riots that killed three thousand people more than quarter-a-century ago and you expect us to move on from the genocide that killed 30000 people, just 3 years ago.

To Tamil members:

Why start such threads?
These threads just become excuses for people to come and lecture about patriotism and national interest and what not. Why go through the same thing again and again?
You hit the nail on the head. However, shyt has happened, no need to dig further into the past. Time to wake up, smell the coffee and plan appropriately on the future.

Phenom

^^Phenom mate, please do not try and divide the members by adressing them only on the basis of race and ethnicity. It gives the impression that only Tamils are concerned about Tamil issues and Sikhs about 1984.

It is certainly not the case.
Dude look at the past 10 pages of slugfest to see whether the posters are divided or not.

I don't think only the Sikhs care about 84, all Indians do, but it is mostly Tamils who care about SL Tamil issue. And frankly I don;t mind that, I understand why the rest of the states have less care about it than the people of TN. But What I don't want to see is people telling us, how we should behave in the 'national interest', and how TN is responsible for the deteriorating relation with SL and how TN should move on and so on.

If others don't feel our pain that's fine, but don't add salt to our wounds.

Reactions: KS

Param

@phenom, you're right its me who started the thread. My bad:frusty:

There is no use arguing this topic on Indian forums. When the Centre itself does not listen to the 60 million plus people of a one of its states on such a sensitive issue, it is naive to expect anything different on forums.

We should take this issue to the UN or some other international body to seek justice both for our own fishermen and those across the straits.

If anything nowadays I feel less and less empathy for those who become targets of this country's western and eastern neighbor. Afterall why should I care if they do not care about me.

mayfair

Dude look at the past 10 pages of slugfest to see whether the posters are divided or not.

I don't think only the Sikhs care about 84, all Indians do, but it is mostly Tamils who care about SL Tamil issue. And frankly I don;t mind that, I understand why the rest of the states have less care about it than the people of TN. But What I don't want to see is people telling us, how we should behave in the 'national interest', and how TN is responsible for the deteriorating relation with SL and how TN should move on and so on.

If others don't feel our pain that's fine, but don't add salt to our wounds.
I am neither Sikh nor Tamil, but I am quite concerned about both the issues- among others.

SPIEZ

Country flag
@phenom, you're right its me who started the thread. My bad:frusty:

There is no use arguing this topic on Indian forums. When the Centre itself does not listen to the 60 million plus people of a one of its states on such a sensitive issue, it is naive to expect anything different on forums.

We should take this issue to the UN or some other international body to seek justice both for our own fishermen and those across the straits.

If anything nowadays I feel less and less empathy for those who become targets of this country's western and eastern neighbor. Afterall why should I care if they do not care about me.
These blasted fellows don't even send the Navy when their own citizens are being killed. What is the use arguing about non-nationals ?

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

To Tamil members:

Why start such threads?
phenom pls dont lecture on the contribution of LTTE towards the innocent tamil's welfare.Its true that sinhalese govt was mistreating the tamils.LTTE was no different from the lankan govt,they were even worse.they too had killed thousands of people of their race just to become the number one among the groups fighting against the lankan forces.Check the net you could see many stories of LTTE's genocides done against their own people who stood in their way.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles