India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Neither India nor the LTTE was wrong,what was wrong was the pussyfooting that we saw post indira Gandhi in our strategic maneuvering on the Elam cause.Where India failed was in not going all the way in our support of the Elam cause.
Why elam ? why settle for the northern part only ?

When were going in then might aswell go in for the whole thing.

Doing half measures is called pussyfooting.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Now that LTTE is put into place, for good riddance.

What next for the Indian Government, why are they afraid of sending a few warships to handle he SLN killings ?

Is GoI such a pussy/coward ?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Now that LTTE is put into place, for good riddance.

What next for the Indian Government, why are they afraid of sending a few warships to handle he SLN killings ?

I suggest you put it in right thread. Its not coagulating with OP here.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Yes they lack any foresight.

What goi did was worse than doing nothing. If you are helping then go the full distance rather than abandon after half the journey.

But at the same time LTTE was a bad idea to begin with.

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
Yes they lack any foresight.

What goi did was worse than doing nothing. If you are helping then go the full distance rather than abandon after half the journey.
Who is to blame, fickle Politicians who care only for votes and nothing else or super intelligent bureaucrats who must have briefed the stupid politicians on the same ?

SPIEZ

Country flag
OP here does not talk about fishermen. This is how topics are derailed & no logical discussion is carried out since topics are mixed.
Edited earlier. Will start a thread.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Who is to blame, fickle Politicians who care only for votes and nothing else or super intelligent bureaucrats who must have briefed the stupid politicians on the same ?
Only fools believe politicians in the first place. And bureaucrats are anything but intelligent...most of them become one doing courses like horse riding :rofl:

Who is to blame ?

1. sri lankans
2. LTTE
3. GoI

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Here's my plan. Tell me what you guys think.

1) Raise issue of Sri Lankan (mis)treatment of Tamils in the UN. Emphasize the fact that India does not support LTTE or other terrorist organisations, but that the Sri Lankan gov't is continuing to commit genocide on their Tamil population. Emphasize the fact that the rate and spread of this oppression has increased since the defeat of the LTTE and end of civil war, and the fact that external intervention is needed to "save the Tamil people from Sinhalese oppressors".

2) After building up diplomatic pressure on Sri Lanka and demonstrating to the international community/UN that diplomacy is not working, use the ongoing genocide and oppression of the Tamils as an excuse to invade the country (Western-style).

3) The invasion should not be too difficult. The Sri Lankan military is more suited towards killing civilians than fighting actual soldiers. Their air force can easily be overwhelmed by Su-30s flying air superiority/interdiction missions from Pune, and the war could be an ideal time to test the LCAs based in South India. Sri Lanka's only relevant ally is PRC, who does not have the capability to defend Sri Lanka. Nevertheless, we should put our troops on the Sino-Indian Border on a state of alertness in case PRC tries some "posturing", though this is very unlikely. The only country in the world with the capability to defend Sri Lanka is the U.S., but it is unlikely that the Yanks will get involved.

4) After defeating the Sri Lankan military, organise a Tamil government to govern the Tamil-majority parts of Sri Lanka. These parts will declare independence from Sri Lanka, and sign a treaty of defence and cooperation with India. This Tamil nation will essentially become a puppet of India.

5) The nation of Sri Lanka will be forced to recognize Indian exclusivity over the island's facilities. Namely, no ports in Sri Lanka can be leased or used by foreign powers other than India (i.e. China or the U.S.) without first obtaining Indian consent. All diplomatic proceedings regarding Sri Lanka will be required to go through RAW/GoI channels first.

6) Meanwhile, at the U.N., proclaim the invasion as a "victory for humanity", "triumph for democracy", etc. etc. while Indian companies begin monopolizing the Indian Ocean trade passing through Hambantota and other ports.

7) Profit?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

1) Raise issue of Sri Lankan (mis)treatment of Tamils in the UN. Emphasize the fact that India does not support LTTE or other terrorist organisations, but that the Sri Lankan gov't is continuing to commit genocide on their Tamil population. Emphasize the fact that the rate and spread of this oppression has increased since the defeat of the LTTE and end of civil war, and the fact that external intervention is needed to "save the Tamil people from Sinhalese oppressors".

2) After building up diplomatic pressure on Sri Lanka and demonstrating to the international community/UN that diplomacy is not working, use the ongoing genocide and oppression of the Tamils as an excuse to invade the country (Western-style).

3) The invasion should not be too difficult. The Sri Lankan military is more suited towards killing civilians than fighting actual soldiers. Their air force can easily be overwhelmed by Su-30s flying air superiority/interdiction missions from Pune, and the war could be an ideal time to test the LCAs based in South India. Sri Lanka's only relevant ally is PRC, who does not have the capability to defend Sri Lanka. Nevertheless, we should put our troops on the Sino-Indian Border on a state of alertness in case PRC tries some "posturing", though this is very unlikely. The only country in the world with the capability to defend Sri Lanka is the U.S., but it is unlikely that the Yanks will get involved.

4) After defeating the Sri Lankan military, organise a Tamil government to govern the Tamil-majority parts of Sri Lanka. These parts will declare independence from Sri Lanka, and sign a treaty of defence and cooperation with India. This Tamil nation will essentially become a puppet of India.

5) The nation of Sri Lanka will be forced to recognize Indian exclusivity over the island's facilities. Namely, no ports in Sri Lanka can be leased or used by foreign powers other than India (i.e. China or the U.S.) without first obtaining Indian consent. All diplomatic proceedings regarding Sri Lanka will be required to go through RAW/GoI channels first.

6) Meanwhile, at the U.N., proclaim the invasion as a "victory for humanity", "triumph for democracy", etc. etc. while Indian companies begin monopolizing the Indian Ocean trade passing through Hambantota and other ports.

7) Profit?
I agree with this.

KS

Bye bye DFI

7) Profit?
Till point 4 it was already there..before UPA took over..Just some careful maneuvering and we could have achieved 5 and 6 also.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Strategically what will we gain why having only northern part ? Might aswell take over the whole thing.

And it will never happen either even if tomorrow amma becomes PM.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Strategically what will we gain why having only northern part ? Might aswell take over the whole thing.

And it will never happen either even if tomorrow amma becomes PM.
Doesnt make sense invading a part that has a population not favouring you.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Doesnt make sense invading a part that has a population not favouring you.
What makes you think they will happily sit while half there country is separated from them ?

I can see "non-state actors" turning up.

KS

Bye bye DFI
What makes you think they will happily sit while half there country is separated from them ?

I can see "non-state actors" turning up.

The difference is half their country does NOT want to be with them and would rather be with India than them.

They wanted our help. We betrayed them.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The difference is half their country does NOT want to be with them and would rather be with India than them.

They wanted our help. We betrayed them.
Allright explain to me.

Was this tamil eelam supposed to be an independent country or officially another Indian state.

Supporting LTTE was a mistake to begin with, direct intervention should have been done by Indian army...govt got cold feet because they thought later on this same LTTE could demand separate country for tamils even in India. Everything is not clear cut.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

7) Profit?
What a hare-brained scheme.

If India is supposed to go to war with every country where people of Indian origin are in a minority, we'll have to declare war on the whole world.

The Tamils chose to settle in Sri Lanka, so they should not involve India in their problems. If they had restricted their activities to SL and not gotten involved in cross-border smuggling, crime and extortion and especially if Prabhakaran hadn't been foolish enough to order the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi, him and his Tigers might still exist today.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
If India is supposed to go to war with every country where people of Indian origin are in a minority, we'll have to declare war on the whole world.
We don't have to invade every country with an Indian population. Where did you draw that conclusion from?

The reason why I'm advocating Indian intervention in Sri Lanka is because the Sinhalese are playing stupid games with us (i.e. inviting the Chinese and Americans into our backyard) and need to be taught a lesson. We gave up on LTTE to gain the favour of the Sri Lankan gov't, but the Sri Lankan gov't is not pro-India; they are simply using India to their own benefit. They need to be turned into a puppet just like Poland and Mexico were turned into puppets/dependents of USSR and USA, respectively. Every country near India (with the obvious exception of PRC) should be considered part of our sphere of influence, and we should exercise control over our neighborhood just like the U.S. exercises control over North America and Russia over Central Asia.

mayfair

What a hare-brained scheme.

The Tamils chose to settle in Sri Lanka, so they should not involve India in their problems. If they had restricted their activities to SL and not gotten involved in cross-border smuggling, crime and extortion and especially if Prabhakaran hadn't been foolish enough to order the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi, him and his Tigers might still exist today.
If you must argue, at least get your facts rights. The Tamizhs residing in the North and East of the island have lived there before the Sinhalese themselves. They are NOT Indian tamils who "chose to reside in Sri Lanka". They speak Tamil but one may find greater cultural similarities between them and folks from Travancore. Reading the history of Tamil inhabitation of Ceylon may help. It is this group that LTTE and other Tamil groups claimed to represent.

There's another group of Tamils that reside mostly in the Central highlands of Sri Lanka. These were Indian citizens from the Madras presidency who were transported there by the British to work as labourers, mostly in Tea plantations. They are some of the poorest citizens of that country discriminated by Sinhalese and Ceylon Tamils and Indian government alike. Now one may ask how did Indian government discriminate against them? These folks were dienfranchised in 1948 under the Ceylon citizneshp act and then further let down by the Sirima-Shastri Pact in 1964 (abrogated in 1982).

Just because LTTE were terrorists did not give the Sinhalese the right to massacre innocent Tamils on the pretext of war against terror.

Reactions: KS

SPIEZ

Country flag

7) Profit?
Great scheme.

This is very much similar to what USA, FRANCE, BRITAIN, and other allied nations are doing in other parts of the world.

Unfortunately we are talking about GoI, which is an organisation having no balls( which in the future I'm going to refer to as an Ball-Less-Govt/BLG). They can't even send a patrol boat when their own citizens are being killed.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles