India votes against Sri Lanka at UNHRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

panduranghari

You think you are superior to your neighbors because of your self-claimed democracy status, and you keep dictating what they should do. Many Indians here talk about taking control of SL as if SL is a dependency of India, ignoring that SL is an independent sovereignty which has the full right to decide its internal and external policy without counseling with India.

What national interest are you protecting by voting for a resolution targetting SL?
What response do you expect of SL after you harm their national interest?

If I was from SL, I was gonna say "F**K OFF, Indian loser".
I disagree completely. All Indian neighbours are its dependencies in some shape or form. Just because we believe in live let live does not mean we cannot get things done.

The progress of South Asia means the progress in India. All other countries are fillers. Eventually the economic prowess makes foreign policy more proactive to national interests rather than reactive. You should know this too, you being Chinese. Until you were a middle kingdom, no one cared or were interested. Now you have resources, people (read World) takes notice. If China in the future does not have the economic prowess, no one will play ball.

Sorry to digress.

Last edited:

natarajan

SL was trying to play China card with us too long. I fully support this decision. People have forgotten that SL have bombed many hindu temples too which our secular media doesn't say. If we keep appeasing our neighbours we won't get any respect.
That is the reason some stupid people blindly support them ,if china or usa was in our position ,eelam would have been achieved and we can establish base over there instead of licking them.Till usa is the major power in indian ocean and we need not worry as long as USA is here ,Chinese will dare to enter

Last edited:
Reactions: KS

Oracle

Why should we ?..we have contributed to this country, our country, much more than you tribals can ever think of...If people like you think they deserve a say in this country , then we most certainly deserve.
You for one, have not contributed zilch, apart from fomenting communal hatred and supporting a terrorist group based on your ethnicity. You are the dark example of how your biased regionalistic views matters more, rather only to you, than National Interests. And please leave the we part, you certainly do not represent all Tamils. Speak for yourself, for terrorist mentality is not a mass opinion, but a hormonal urge of keyboard warriors such as yourself. When posters do not associate with your POV, you suitably use words such as 'gaumata belt', 'tribal' etc to provoke a backlash, to suit your needs. Not gonna happen boy.

You are the goebbel of this forum, spreading propaganda, lies and when called for, run away, hiding your tail behinds your legs. Let me pick up one case amongst your many infamous incidents, when you said that the 1971 War was for the love of the Bengalis, and when I showed you the mirror, you never quoted that post of mine. You have your baised regionalistic and hegemonic mindset cloud the very basis of a civilized debate, and when you fail, you cry out like a little girl using profanity.

And as about Why should we? It is only for lovers of foreign entities and terrorists that they can go and stay with their beloved, anywhere. You do not represent Tamils.

Oh when busted and exposed of the prejudice go back to the previously busted part. FAIL.
Busted? Prejudiced? You don't fail me to amaze me. I am certainly not the one supporting terrorists on this very forum. And I am also not the one who cheered LTTE's assassination of former PM Mr. Rajiv Gandhi. It's you.

Last edited:

Oracle

Just to balance the discussion, my personal experiences have been very different in the UK.
Just to balance it further, my experiences with Sri Lankan Tamils weren't that great. And I don't lose sleep over it. They are foreigners.

@sehwag and pandu :

Sinhalese as a lot hate India to the core and for good reason...its rather stupid to expect any friendship out of them as some people expect. I wouldnt be surprised if all this "I met Sinhalas who were friendly" turns out to be one big fairy tale invented just for scoring brownie points.
Of whatever I post, are my personal first hand experiences with people, at different places. If that makes my posts look like scoring brownie points, so be it.

panduranghari

That is the reason some stupid people blindly support them ,if china or usa was in our position ,eelam would have been achieved and we can establish base over there instead of licking them.
I presumeto establish 'the eelam' the current Sinhalese need to be exterminated? New low for Tamilians if you believe in this.

panduranghari

Just to balance it further, my experiences with Sri Lankan Tamils weren't that great. And I don't lose sleep over it. They are foreigners.

Of whatever I post, are my personal first hand experiences with people, at different places. If that makes my posts look like scoring brownie points, so be it.
I am not contesting your opinions. I am just stating the bleeding obvious. No one is our friend. No one is our enemy.

I know Indian Tamils from Chennai no less, who want to establish their own country separating from India. I also know Indian Tamils from Mumbai who call the bluff of these deluded residents of Chennai ( what do you call residents of Chennai if Madrasis is not acceptable?) and tell them how idiotic their wish sounds.

Indian Tamilians should have no sympathy for Tamils from SL. They are foreigners. If SL Tamilians have problems, they should immigrate to UK or USA or Scandinavia but they should not come to India.

Oracle over all I agree with you.

Oracle

I am not contesting your opinions. I am just stating the bleeding obvious. No one is our friend. No one is our enemy.

I know Indian Tamils from Chennai no less, who want to establish their own country separating from India. I also know Indian Tamils from Mumbai who call the bluff of these deluded residents of Chennai ( what do you call residents of Chennai if Madrasis is not acceptable?) and tell them how idiotic their wish sounds.

Indian Tamilians should have no sympathy for Tamils from SL. They are foreigners. If SL Tamilians have problems, they should immigrate to UK or USA or Scandinavia but they should not come to India.

Oracle over all I agree with you.
Mate, sure you can contest my or anyone else's opinions. That is why we are here.

I fully subscribe to the part in bold.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Oracle and and Pandu

:facepalm: you base your beliefs on some two or three SL Tamils and Indian Tamils who you have met? Nice:facepalm:

The ones who escaped the SL did not face genocide now did they? And the Chennai Tamils one who left to UK dint deserve a place here in India. Let them rot in that racist country for All i care.

and the point is no one is saying we love SL tamils more than India itself. But that, while the rest of India has no ties with SL sinhalese, Here in TN atleast Share Language with them and we dont want them to be wiped out in the name of nationalism there. And for this matter, if you are going to bring in the Ballessness of the GoI, in keeping SL out of Chini porki ring, to blame the TN then you are idots. That is all.

Sry oracle for Karthik. He has been carried over by his emotions.

Oracle

Oracle and and Pandu

:facepalm: you base your beliefs on some two or three SL Tamils and Indian Tamils who you have met? Nice:facepalm:

The ones who escaped the SL did not face genocide now did they? And the Chennai Tamils one who left to UK dint deserve a place here in India. Let them rot in that racist country for All i care.

and the point is no one is saying we love SL tamils more than India itself. But that, while the rest of India has no ties with SL sinhalese, Here in TN atleast Share Language with them and we dont want them to be wiped out in the name of nationalism there. And for this matter, if you are going to bring in the Ballessness of the GoI, in keeping SL out of Chini porki ring, to blame the TN then you are idots. That is all.

Sry oracle for Karthik. He has been carried over by his emotions.
This is where you get it wrong my friend. Whatever happened in Sri Lanka was good and bad, both. LTTE exterminated - good. Innocent Sri Lankan Tamils died - bad. Now, I was not there, nor were you, not anybody else to judge what really happened. We can only base our opinions based upon what comes out from the print and the electronic media, and we have been doing exactly that.

Not to get carried away by emotions, 100% of posters here talk about the illegal Bangladeshis in India and in a much harsher tone to sound. Have you even seen me supporting them? No. You never would. Those Bengalis and me share a common culture, language, food and almost everything under the sun. But they are as foreign to me, as are the Tamils of Sri Lanka. I do not get carried away by my ethnicity. I am an Indian first, and national Interests would always be numero uno priority. GoI voted, and that is what it did without a spine.

And mate, don't apologize man. We are having a discussion, that's all. Don't lose sleep over it.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Not to get carried away by emotions,
Dude, come on, cut him some slack. That TOI(let) paper has explicitly said Chennaites split India from Asia. Thats why he got carried away.

Any way, you all dont seem to understand why Indian vote is very crucial against Lanka. Several African countries which would have abstained otherwise voted in favour of the resolution because of the Indian vote. That was the reason SL was so much behind our tail licking it trying to get us to vote in their favour. Why were they not so enthusiastic to come and apologise over the TN fishermen Shooting Issue? Because they know how to be diplomatic. As Karthik said, instead of being Impotent in handling SL, we should make them ask for our support, not beg for it.

Oracle

Dude, come on, cut him some slack. That TOI(let) paper has explicitly said Chennaites split India from Asia. Thats why he got carried away.

Any way, you all dont seem to understand why Indian vote is very crucial against Lanka. Several African countries which would have abstained otherwise voted in favour of the resolution because of the Indian vote. That was the reason SL was so much behind our tail licking it trying to get us to vote in their favour. Why were they not so enthusiastic to come and apologise over the TN fishermen Shooting Issue? Because they know how to be diplomatic. As Karthik said, instead of being Impotent in handling SL, we should make them ask for our support, not beg for it.
I don't concur. :)

Let's relax for sometime. Meet me @ SB.

HeinzGud

Country flag

If you love your Tamil brethren in SL so much.. then why not take all 5 million or so Tamils from Sri Lanka and place them in Tamilnadu?

The real case of this so called love is that...

1. Tamil politicians in TN do not have any issue other than SL issue to pressure the Indian government and take grants from it.
  2. The Tamil film industry derive it's foreign profits mainly form the Tamils who lives in Western countries and most of them are from SL
  3. The reluctance of the Tamils live in western countries to leave their fancy living styles to face SL living conditions
  4. The criminals behind the illegal business who use SL waters and sometimes SL itself to thrive

However here is a report published in Tamilguradian about the conditions in Tamilnadu refuge camps that are placed to house Tamil refugees from SL... those are not newly established ones rather very old ones.. some goes back almost 30 years but no TN politician has looked down to help those poor people... What a hypocrisy!

http://tamilnation.co/refugees/01tamilnadu.htm

The Tamil refugees from Sri Lanka who land in the southern shores of India are classified into ordinary refugees and those suspected to have been former militants. Ordinary refugees are sent to one of the 160 "open" refugee camps in India while those suspected to be former militants are sent to the so called "special camps" which are totally six in number.
The Tamil refugees in India are severely exploited by the corrupt police and a repressive state regime which treats the refugees with an oppressive attitude.
Any refugee with any wound or a scar is branded as a militant and sent to the special refugee camp. It is highly possible for civilian people to get wounded in a Civil war of epic proportions as the one presently being waged in Sri Lanka. But any ordinary civilian with wounds, fractures or scars irrespective of his age, sex or medical condition is sent to the "special" refugee camps where they are deprived of their freedom and made to live in conditions that are worse than a concentration camp.
The conditions in the 160 "open " refugee camps (apart from the 6 special refugee camps) are no better. Even though those in the "open" refugee camps are free to go about any where and seek a living, they are also victims of police corruption and oppression. The food grains provided to the Tamil refugees in the open camps are of very bad quality. Anybody who protests the bad food and degrading living conditions runs the risk of being branded as a militant and sent to the "special refugee camp". There are no toilets, no proper housing, no electricity and no educational facilities in any of these refugee camps. People are made to live in halls, regulated market-places, poultries and even cyclone shelters. There is no medical aid available to the Tamil refugees in any of the special or open refugee camps.
Since India has not signed the international convention for refugees, the terrible plight of the Sri Lankan Tamil refugees in India is not brought to the scrutiny of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees and no other major human rights organisation has taken note of the suffering of the Tamils languishing in the "special camps" in India which are nothing but concentration camps.
Finally I would like to urge from our Tamil DFIans to stop critizie SL first, and look towards your own misconducts!

Last edited:

Oracle

And it has started.

Sri Lanka warns India of Geneva repercussions

COLOMBO: Sri Lanka on Saturday warned India of possible repercussions over Kashmir after it voted for a US resolution in Geneva on rights abuses during its war on the Tamil Tigers.

Government spokesman Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena said some countries or groups might use the vote on Sri Lanka as a precedence to bring a similar resolution on India over the Kashmir dispute, Xinhua reported.

Sri Lanka was, however, mindful that India acted as a result of immense pressure from Tamil political parties, Abeywardena, the acting media minister, told a public meeting.

Much to the disappointment of Colombo, India was among 24 countries which voted in support of the US sponsored resolution on Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) Thursday.

Fifteen countries voted against and eight abstained.

President Mahinda Rajapaksa has warned that countries which voted for the resolution would have to worry about consequences of terrorism.

Lankapage.com quoted Rajapaksa as saying that "no external forces will be allowed to threaten the country's sovereignty".

Speaking Friday, he vowed to continue his government's development and reconciliation programmes in the island's northeastern region that was the former war zone.

He asked people not to fall "prey to conspirators, opportunists and traitors".

The president commended the 15 countries which voted against "the anti-Lanka resolution for their support" and the eight nations which abstained in the 47-member UNHRC.

Countries which voted against Sri Lanka would have to be concerned about consequences, he was quoted as saying.

But minister Maithreepala Sirisena pointed out that the resolution was passed with the amendments added by India to safeguard Sri Lanka from "the interferences of UN bodies".

These amendments ensured that no intrusions can be imposed without the consent of the government, he added.

India forced the US to amend its resolution to safeguard Sri Lanka from international intrusions by adding a clause that said the UNHRC can provide advice and technical assistance "in consultation with, and with the concurrence of, the government of Sri Lanka".

Sri Lanka has mainly downplayed India's support to the resolution, saying New Delhi gave in to pressures from its coalition partners in Tamil Nadu who have been traditionally ranged against Colombo.

Another minister, Dullas Alahapperuma, urged the Sri Lankan public not to hate India for supporting the resolution.

Although India had gone the extra mile to make the resolution less "intrusive", New Delhi's siding with the West against an ally which stands by India in every platform "is seen as a betrayal", he said.

On Saturday, The Island newspaper urged India to stop the US and its allies from intruding into Sri Lankan affairs.

Oracle

Manmohan Singh to Sri Lanka: India introduced a balanced resolution at UN

NEW DELHI: Seeking to mollify Sri Lanka after the vote against it in UNHCR, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today wrote to Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapaksa, telling him that India made all efforts and succeeded in introducing an "element of balance" in the US-sponsored resolution.

At the same time, Singh underlined the need for achieving a lasting political settlement that will address the grievances of minority Tamils.

"I had instructed our delegation to remain in close contact with its Sri Lanka counterparts in an attempt to find a positive way forward. Your Excellency would be aware that we spared no effort and were successful in introducing an element of balance in the language of the resolution," Singh said.

He was referring to India voting against Sri Lanka at the UNHCR in Geneva when it supported the resolution against alleged human rights violations during the civil war. Though India voted in favour of the resolution, it worked behind the scenes to tweak the document to make it "non-intrusive".

Singh's letter comes against the backdrop of Sri Lanka's displeasure over India voting against it at the UN and crticisim from various sections that "domestic compulsions" in had forced the country to vote against it.

In the letter, which suggests that Rajapaksa had written to him three days before the vote, Singh noted that both countries had discussed the way ahead to a political solution that will address all outstanding issues, in particular the grievances of the Tamil community in Sri Lanka, in a spirit of understanding and mutual accommodation.

"It is our conviction that a meaningful devolution package, building upon the 13th Amendment, would lead towards a lasting political settlement on many of these issues and create conditions in which all citizens of Sri Lanka, irrespective of their ethnicity, can find justice, dignity, equality and self-respect," Singh said.

Singh told Rajapaksa that he was happy to learn about his intention to continue the process of implementing the recommendations of the LLRC.

He said the two governments have, over the last three years, engaged intensively in the immediate tasks of relief and rehabilitation for those displaced by the conflict, as well as the more long-term effort of reconstruction of national infrastructure.

"Much important progress has been registered on this front and I wish to record my appreciation of the assistance your government has provided to various Indian agencies implementing projects of national significance on the ground in Sri Lanka," he said.

The Prime Minister also assured Rajapaksa that India will continue its engagement with the shared objective of building a stable, secure and prosperous environment in Sri Lanka in which all communities can flourish and in which India-Sri Lanka relations can continue to grow from strength to strength.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
For once, this government has stood up for Indians. Even if it was a selfish move to save the government from being an outcast by allies. :D

Good going! It was about time Rajapakse was taught a lesson not to keep killing our fishermen.

If he wants to clean China's shoes, we don't really care. He's already doing that. But give Chinese any military advantage at your own risk; if a conflict emerges from there, Rajapakse's backyard will also be targeted.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
And it has started.

Sri Lanka warns India of Geneva repercussions

COLOMBO: Sri Lanka on Saturday warned India of possible repercussions over Kashmir after it voted for a US resolution in Geneva on rights abuses during its war on the Tamil Tigers.

Government spokesman Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena said some countries or groups might use the vote on Sri Lanka as a precedence to bring a similar resolution on India over the Kashmir dispute, Xinhua reported.

Sri Lanka was, however, mindful that India acted as a result of immense pressure from Tamil political parties, Abeywardena, the acting media minister, told a public meeting.

Much to the disappointment of Colombo, India was among 24 countries which voted in support of the US sponsored resolution on Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) Thursday.

Fifteen countries voted against and eight abstained.

President Mahinda Rajapaksa has warned that countries which voted for the resolution would have to worry about consequences of terrorism.

Lankapage.com quoted Rajapaksa as saying that "no external forces will be allowed to threaten the country's sovereignty".

Speaking Friday, he vowed to continue his government's development and reconciliation programmes in the island's northeastern region that was the former war zone.

He asked people not to fall "prey to conspirators, opportunists and traitors".

The president commended the 15 countries which voted against "the anti-Lanka resolution for their support" and the eight nations which abstained in the 47-member UNHRC.

Countries which voted against Sri Lanka would have to be concerned about consequences, he was quoted as saying.

But minister Maithreepala Sirisena pointed out that the resolution was passed with the amendments added by India to safeguard Sri Lanka from "the interferences of UN bodies".

These amendments ensured that no intrusions can be imposed without the consent of the government, he added.

India forced the US to amend its resolution to safeguard Sri Lanka from international intrusions by adding a clause that said the UNHRC can provide advice and technical assistance "in consultation with, and with the concurrence of, the government of Sri Lanka".

Sri Lanka has mainly downplayed India's support to the resolution, saying New Delhi gave in to pressures from its coalition partners in Tamil Nadu who have been traditionally ranged against Colombo.

Another minister, Dullas Alahapperuma, urged the Sri Lankan public not to hate India for supporting the resolution.

Although India had gone the extra mile to make the resolution less "intrusive", New Delhi's siding with the West against an ally which stands by India in every platform "is seen as a betrayal", he said.

On Saturday, The Island newspaper urged India to stop the US and its allies from intruding into Sri Lankan affairs.
Manmohan Singh to Sri Lanka: India introduced a balanced resolution at UN

NEW DELHI: Seeking to mollify Sri Lanka after the vote against it in UNHCR, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today wrote to Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapaksa, telling him that India made all efforts and succeeded in introducing an "element of balance" in the US-sponsored resolution.

At the same time, Singh underlined the need for achieving a lasting political settlement that will address the grievances of minority Tamils.

"I had instructed our delegation to remain in close contact with its Sri Lanka counterparts in an attempt to find a positive way forward. Your Excellency would be aware that we spared no effort and were successful in introducing an element of balance in the language of the resolution," Singh said.

He was referring to India voting against Sri Lanka at the UNHCR in Geneva when it supported the resolution against alleged human rights violations during the civil war. Though India voted in favour of the resolution, it worked behind the scenes to tweak the document to make it "non-intrusive".

Singh's letter comes against the backdrop of Sri Lanka's displeasure over India voting against it at the UN and crticisim from various sections that "domestic compulsions" in had forced the country to vote against it.

In the letter, which suggests that Rajapaksa had written to him three days before the vote, Singh noted that both countries had discussed the way ahead to a political solution that will address all outstanding issues, in particular the grievances of the Tamil community in Sri Lanka, in a spirit of understanding and mutual accommodation.

"It is our conviction that a meaningful devolution package, building upon the 13th Amendment, would lead towards a lasting political settlement on many of these issues and create conditions in which all citizens of Sri Lanka, irrespective of their ethnicity, can find justice, dignity, equality and self-respect," Singh said.

Singh told Rajapaksa that he was happy to learn about his intention to continue the process of implementing the recommendations of the LLRC.

He said the two governments have, over the last three years, engaged intensively in the immediate tasks of relief and rehabilitation for those displaced by the conflict, as well as the more long-term effort of reconstruction of national infrastructure.

"Much important progress has been registered on this front and I wish to record my appreciation of the assistance your government has provided to various Indian agencies implementing projects of national significance on the ground in Sri Lanka," he said.

The Prime Minister also assured Rajapaksa that India will continue its engagement with the shared objective of building a stable, secure and prosperous environment in Sri Lanka in which all communities can flourish and in which India-Sri Lanka relations can continue to grow from strength to strength.
A puny neighbor like Srilanka has the balls to tell the So called third Super Power of the Century:wtf: that they will face repurcursions on Kashmir and These idiots here are saying that India should Lick SL than kick it back to stone age.

Shows how impotent Indians and its govt are.:frusty:

Reactions: KS

KS

Bye bye DFI
Sri Lanka "warns" India and that about Kashmir and the "not-so-singh" grovels before them explaining the position.

Am I the only one who thinks that there is something very wrong in this equation ?..:rage:

As I said all the talk about non-interference, friendship by New Delhi is only to mask its impotence in dealing with its neighbours..First it was Pakistan, then Bangladesh and now it has come to Lanka...Next what ? Maurituis and Maldives ?

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Indian Tamilians should have no sympathy for Tamils from SL. They are foreigners.
Indian Tamil's unfortunately dont agree with that. It's a millenia old bond..How can that suddenly stop..it's not like switch where you can flip and whoosh, it's off.

That's the truth..It's high time people realized that.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
You for one, have not contributed zilch, apart from fomenting communal hatred and supporting a terrorist group based on your ethnicity. You are the dark example of how your biased regionalistic views matters more, rather only to you, than National Interests. And please leave the we part, you certainly do not represent all Tamils. Speak for yourself, for terrorist mentality is not a mass opinion, but a hormonal urge of keyboard warriors such as yourself. When posters do not associate with your POV, you suitably use words such as 'gaumata belt', 'tribal' etc to provoke a backlash, to suit your needs. Not gonna happen boy.

You are the goebbel of this forum, spreading propaganda, lies and when called for, run away, hiding your tail behinds your legs. Let me pick up one case amongst your many infamous incidents, when you said that the 1971 War was for the love of the Bengalis, and when I showed you the mirror, you never quoted that post of mine. You have your baised regionalistic and hegemonic mindset cloud the very basis of a civilized debate, and when you fail, you cry out like a little girl using profanity.

And as about Why should we? It is only for lovers of foreign entities and terrorists that they can go and stay with their beloved, anywhere. You do not represent Tamils.

Busted? Prejudiced? You don't fail me to amaze me. I am certainly not the one supporting terrorists on this very forum. And I am also not the one who cheered LTTE's assassination of former PM Mr. Rajiv Gandhi. It's you.
With the bolded parts I partly agree...the emotion regarding this issue on the ground in TN is much more than I express here for the sake of political correctness. If you know Tamil go to some Tamil forum in FB or elsewhere and see it.

There is nothing much to reply to your "beating around the bush" after exposing your hatred for a particular region which prompted you to assign meaning to words when it was not what I intended. ("Why should we"). Every other poster understood the meaning except you..meaning something is hopelessly wrong with you. FACT.

And not replying to your inanities doesnt mean you were correct....it just means you are so hopelessly deluded that it is not worth my time to straighten the dog's tail. Dont take credit where it is not due.:wave:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles