India Voted Against Ban of Death Penalty at UN

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
United Nations: As India executed Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called upon nations to abolish the death penalty.

Mr Ban welcomes a record vote by a General Assembly committee in favour of the call for a moratorium on the use of the death penalty, his spokesperson said on Wednesday.

India, USA and China were among 39 nations voting against the resolution in the Assembly's Third Committee, which deals with social and humanitarian issues, as well as human rights, on Monday. The non-binding draft resolution got110 votes in favour, with 36 abstentions.

"Monday's vote offers the opportunity to again encourage Member States who still practice the death penalty or retain it in law to follow suit," the spokesperson added in a news statement, noting that 150 States have either abolished or do not practice the death penalty.

"The Secretary-General therefore calls on Member States to join the worldwide trend and support next month's General Assembly resolution on a moratorium on the use of the death penalty," he said.

The new resolution, inter alia, calls on all States to establish a moratorium on executions with a view to abolishing the death penalty.

Mr Ban's spokesperson said the Committee's resolution reflects a trend against capital punishment which has grown stronger across regions, legal traditions and customs since a landmark General Assembly resolution on the topic in 2007.

"The Secretary General saluted this development at a high-level event on the death penalty in New York this July," the spokesperson added.

"He said then that the taking of life is too absolute, too irreversible, for one human being to inflict on another, even when backed by legal process.
P.S. India, China & USA - they make over 40% of the total world population.
A day after Ajmal Kasab's execution, UN chief asks nations to abolish death penalty | NDTV.com

Country flag
UN loves to spend money and time on useless topics 10 times more people die in Automobile
accidents then being excecuted after being found guilty of killing innocent people. And a thousand
times more innocent people die in wars ;another fine example of the BS in the UN.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Good we should hang many of our politicians then. I suppose then they would vote against it.

Death penalty is Societies way of getting revenge on people. Only failed societies hide behind death penalty, good societies dont need to take revenge and spread eye for an eye idea and they can rehabilitate its criminals to its way of thinking but if the society itself is broken then they have nothing to teach even a murderer.

Country flag
Good we should hang many of our politicians then. I suppose then they would vote against it.

Death penalty is Societies way of getting revenge on people. Only failed societies hide behind death penalty, good societies dont need to take revenge and spread eye for an eye idea and they can rehabilitate its criminals to its way of thinking but if the society itself is broken then they have nothing to teach even a murderer.
you are living in a dream world some human animals are beyond living in civilized human society. Like
a rabid dog they should be put death why waste time and money on trash.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

If death penalty is societies way of getting revenge on people, then all religions advocate the wrath of God on sins at attribution for sins and hence all religions are very vengeful and horrid.

Religions moulds minds.

Therefore, religion is at fault.

Let us banish this horror called religion and life will be one great Paradise, right?

So long there is heinous crimes, people will have to pay for it.

Life imprisonment means that the person who has killed/ raped etc, will have to looked after for life and paid for to make him live and be comfortable (Kasab got MUtton Biriyani and how many Indians not in jail can eat that luxury?).

So instead of the man who did the crime, the relatives will have to pamper the chap for killing the relative.

How?

Because the culprit who has killed is kept happy with the tax payers' money and the relative possibly also pay tax.

I would find it very disconcerting if my tax money paid is keeping scoundrel living in the lap of luxury.

Then there are chaps who are well connected who come out on parole or time out to attend weddings of near and dear ones and are found to be in the night clubs instead!

Great justice, what?

However, I will concede that when I am visiting the gliteratti and chatterati in their airconditioned drawing room with them oozing with strings of diamonds and sipping pink champagne and eating Beluga caviar, they too think death penalty to such a drag!

And they, I will concede, belong to the fancy class who wear khadi for public consumption, but are actually Cabinet Ministers deciding your and my fate and the Fate of the Nation.

Does appear we are in safe hands and we are very amenable to the liberal dictates and style of the West.

India hence is very 'in' and does appear to be 'fashionable' and correct as per the western norms (which of course they don't apply for themselves!)

Let the little native dark buggers run around trying to catch up with them when they never will be anywhere near.

No harm in letting these darkies try.

Last edited:

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

Getting revenge? Why should it be revenge? Why can't the word - "justice" be the proper one to describe it? why is it that everyone should tow the line of standard for anything that civilization mean set by those Europeans?

Rehabilitate? Well, i can live and sleep happily if a worthless scum like Kasab, Afjal Guru, Dhananjay is not "rehabilitated". And, if you want to rehabilitate, do one thing first. Dont ask us for our hard-earned money. Raise them yourselves from like minded people to rehabilitate all the convicts, not only those sentenced to death; that way the govt. will have a good amount of cash for other necessary expenditures, useful to the law-abiding citizens.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
None of us have fallen victims to those who perpetrate crimes deserving death penalty. So it seems to us capital punishment is a revenge rather than justice, but just ask the actual victims, and you'll know how much of a solace they find in the fact that death penalty is still not outlawed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles