India to send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees, China Sri Lanka bhai bhai

SHURIDH

Yes. India helped LTTE because of the assistance SL offered to Pakistan in the 1971 war. That was to teach SLanka a lesson. India assisted the Mukti Bahini to rip Pakistan into two pieces. Facts. Not for the love of Tamils of SLanka or the Bengalis of Bangladesh.
situation of bd and sl different.
In bd bengalies were 98.7% so it was easy to help them than in tamils in sl who are merely 22% out of them ltee does not exclude 6% muslim tamil.
So it is 16% of lankan population.
Massive majority of 98.7% of local population and minority 16% of local population is not the same thing.
So we can't expect same result in those two case

KS

Bye bye DFI
BJP asks the Central Govt to me extremely mindful of Tamil Nadu's concerns while training security forces from Lanka and says concerns of Tamil people must be factored in any relationship with Lanka.

Thank you BJP.

devgupt

Country flag
Even we forget about the Indian Tamil political parties, it is both morally and practically in India's interest to see that SL tamils rights are safe guarded. Morally - everybody knows why, practically because if SL tamils keep getting oppresssed, they will rise again and the flames like in past will reach us.
So we should keep pressure on SL government in securing SL Tamil rights.

pmaitra

Karthic and Amit,

So you guys are suggesting that the LTTE vs SL Army conflict should have continued for another 10-15 years, or even more, and the consequent deaths of thousands of more SL Tamils would have served the best interests of the SL Tamils?

Don't keep repeating 'genocide,' because we all know it happened, and everyone agrees SL soldiers responsible for that should be punished. Answer my question above.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
I am happy LTTE is dead.

I am Happy SL is in peace or pretend to be.

I am Happy Singhala people can now run down on other religion/community or Place of worship easily be it HINDU, ISLAM or BUDDHIST.

I am happy China is helping them.

I am happy SL as usual acts against Indian interest.

Also

I am happy we are sending their SLA men back home alive.

ejazr

Ambassador
The last I heard was the Sri Lankan Air force personnel have been shifted to Bangalore.

Has that changed? There should be no entertaining of demands once they are sifted out of Tamil Nadu. Jaya and Karunanidhi should focus on state politics and not dictate foreign policy. But in the long term, they have to understand that having good relations with Sri Lanka is how we would eventually be able to ensure Tamil minority rights in Sri Lanka

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
^^^^^
Earlier even I used to think the same way!

However, reading the history of SL and understanding the mentality of Sinhala, and their conniving ways, they have historically fooled Congress time and again, and they have mastered the cat and mouse game. Indian foreign policy due to congress finds its self on knees even in front of a puny nation like SL!

Here we require a Big stick and no talking soft or loud! Nothing more!

panduranghari

^^^^^
Earlier even I used to think the same way!

However, reading the history of SL and understanding the mentality of Sinhala, and their conniving ways, they have historically fooled Congress time and again, and they have mastered the cat and mouse game. Indian foreign policy due to congress finds its self on knees even in front of a puny nation like SL!

Here we require a Big stick and no talking soft or loud! Nothing more!
I have a strong belief that we will eventually teach SL a lesson they will never forget. What we need is to get rid of the riff-raff.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
India manages to shoot itself in the foot due to irrational emotionalism yet again. After decades of strife the war in SL is finally over. History shows that when there's a prolonged civil war brutality reigns over all and the line between the supposed "good guys" and "bad guys" gets obliterated. The clock cannot be turned back; this horrible war happened, a series of blunders occurred at the hands of all the parties involved and everyone incurred losses. But it is over now. The Sri Lankans are earnestly ready and eager to get back up on their feet and rebuild their country. Question is how to proceed from here?

Like it or not SL is India's neighbor with which it shares many attributes. The Sri Lankans are also a very enterprising and hard working people whose aspirations are no different than the rising class in India. India has a lot to gain by forging deep ties with SL economic or otherwise. There is also tremendous business opportunity in SL, ranging from mega construction projects to entertainment (Indian conglomerates have already purchased teams in the SLPL).

Letting emotions get in the way of pragmatism can only guarantee losses. The young pilots who came to train had nothing to do with the civil war. Holding them responsible for something they didn't do is asinine. Obviously other players like China and Pakistan will use this opportunity to further their economic interests and in the bargain acquire a tactical advantage over India. And then the the sub standard Indian press and internet forums will be flooded with indignant red faced nationalists cribbing about China's "string of pearls" or Pakistan's nefarious designs.

Such examples of piss poor foreign policy also reconfirms the fact that India is incapable of leadership and isn't a worthy regional power and will certainly never really grow to anything more (the BCCI is the second shining example proving the same fact).

Truly successful nations are those that can override emotions with pragmatism and put aside differences and show strong leadership skills, and sadly India does not fall into this category yet.

p2prada

The war is over. While many are happy, some are not for no objective reasons.

Common sense dictates LTTE's demise was good for everyone including the SL Tamils.

Oracle

The war is over. While many are happy, some are not for no objective reasons.

Common sense dictates LTTE's demise was good for everyone including the SL Tamils.
Common sense is uncommon these days.

KS

Bye bye DFI
The Sri Lankans are earnestly ready and eager to get back up on their feet and rebuild their country. Question is how to proceed from here?
No they are not.

pmaitra

No they are not.
Sir, speak for yourself.

I am pretty damn sure Sri Lankan Tamils have no intention to go back to violence. For you, it is a salamander measuring contest, while for them, it is about getting their lives back together. For Amit, it is a strategic blunder. Indian Tamils will eat, sleep, and live happily. Rest of India will also eat, sleep, and live happily. It is the hapless Sri Lankan Tamils who will die and get maimed, in thousands, if this civil war continues; or if India tries to recreate another LTTE, for the sake of 'strategic depth' against SL.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
No they are not.
Emotional response. And no, I don't buy it.

Realistically the sort of trauma SL has faced requires decades to rebuild so nothing can be expected quickly. Question is are there indicators showing that the flow will be in the right direction or is it apparent that the country will regress back into its chaotic state?Is the situation perfect? Heck no. Are things all good for the Tamils- no. Is there a Sinhalese domination agenda- yes; but can things get better in the long term? My money is on Yes.

My estimation of who truly wants to rebuild and who doesn't are based on diverging post conflict models. Lets compare SL to say Sudan, DRC or Afghanistan. The Sri Lankan people both Tamils and Sinhalese of all religious denominations are war wary and have shown the desire to rebuild their lives and have by and large ceased violence. This is not the case in the other model where the core violent movement still exists. Remittances into SL have increased as opposed to Afghanistan and DRC where there's still a high capital flight. But most of all the inhabitants of that island have an identity as a nation state unlike sub saharan africa or Afghanistan where the society is entirely divided along tribes.

The other, most critical long term factor is the future of governance and institution building in accordance with the Acemoglu- Robinson postulate. Admittedly this picture in SL is still highly tenuous and only the coming years will tell how it works out. Rajapaksa clearly intends to implement an extractive governmental institution. He has shown all the classic signs- imprisonment of political rivals, nepotism, manipulation of the constitution to increase his own powers etc. He is another Mugabe in the making. However as of right now SL is still better off than the likes of Afghanistan or even Pakistan where the political leadership is non functional and entirely kleptocratic. SL is increasing its military at an alarming pace, however there is no sign that it is heading the Pakistan way or the spate of African tin pot dictatorships.

Unlike Afghanistan or DRC, Sri Lanka's strength is in its people. The Sri Lankan people clearly have the drive and the determination to succeed; they also have an impressive literacy rate (far better than other south asian countries) and an educated diaspora.

Now that I think of it, India's inability to assert influence over Sri Lanka is appalling. By training SLs future military officers India could have had at least some sway with the Army were things to get out of control. China's record clearly shows that they have no interest in the welfare of citizens that are brutally suppressed by the government whom they arm. Furthermore since SL has never been on the West's radar; frankly the only country that can exert a positive influence is India. But if this doesn't happen then it is clear that India has no business calling itself a regional power.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Now that I think of it, India's inability to assert influence over Sri Lanka is appalling. By training SLs future military officers India could have had at least some sway with the Army were things to get out of control. China's record clearly shows that they have no interest in the welfare of citizens that are brutally suppressed by the government whom they arm. Furthermore since SL has never been on the West's radar; frankly the only country that can exert a positive influence is India. But if this doesn't happen then it is clear that India has no business calling itself a regional power.
If I may add a few points here:
  • It is best SL is kept away from any influence from PRC. PLA's modus operandii is unflinching violence and suppression on anyone that dares to question the state. SL getting too cosy with PRC will only make things worse for the minorities in SL.
  • The war is over, and LTTE has been decimated. Now, the world has seen the atrocities of SL Army in the war zone. There is a lot of international pressure. SL will not get away with it. It will take time.
  • Best idea is to move on, and seek justice through diplomatic pressure. Long term simmering conflict usually goes unnoticed, but in total, yields a lot more casualties. This is the very nature of such low intensity conflicts. If one cannot get over this desire to seek vengeance, then there will be permanent balkanization, and one needs to look no further than the former Yugoslavia that is still licking the wounds of the days of the Ottoman Empire. Chechnya and the Middle East are other examples.
  • Finally, GoI should be willing to put more pressure on SL. While GoI will never support parition of SL, due to SL's support to India on keeping the Kashmir issue bilateral, India should pull all stops to pressurize SL to ensure maximum autonomy to the SL north and proper rebuilding of the destroyed cities, towns, and villages. India should also build up capability to setup a naval blockade or no-fly zone over SL, in extreme cases. This will keep SL on it's toes.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
^
The first point makes infinite sense to me . . .

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Finally, GoI should be willing to put more pressure on SL. While GoI will never support parition of SL, due to SL's support to India on keeping the Kashmir issue bilateral, India should pull all stops to pressurize SL to ensure maximum autonomy to the SL north and proper rebuilding of the destroyed cities, towns, and villages. India should also build up capability to setup a naval blockade or no-fly zone over SL, in extreme cases. This will keep SL on it's toes.
Actually the better way to go about this would be through non military leverage. Sri Lanka's navy and air force are a pittance compared to India; the blockade and the no fly zone could be established in the time it will take to write this post. Confrontational approaches are counterproductive, and this is not how good diplomacy works.

However if Sri Lanka's future military officer cadre were trained in India and if the rising middle class sent its children to India for higher education and if Indian conglomerates had a heavy presence in the Sri Lankan economy it would be far easier to attain the same objective with better results.

pmaitra

Actually the better way to go about this would be through non military leverage. Sri Lanka's navy and air force are a pittance compared to India; the blockade and the no fly zone could be established in the time it will take to write this post. Confrontational approaches are counterproductive, and this is not how good diplomacy works.

However if Sri Lanka's future military officer cadre were trained in India and if the rising middle class sent its children to India for higher education and if Indian conglomerates had a heavy presence in the Sri Lankan economy it would be far easier to attain the same objective with better results.
I agree with you. Confrontational approaches do not work. My only concern is India has been seen as a 'soft' state by many. India is powerful, but India needs to growl once in a while. While I will always prefer non military leverage, as you suggested, India should be able to send the message across to the Sri Lankans, not publicly, but in discrete company, that India will not hesitate to setup a naval blockade or no-fly zone, if it feels threatened in any way. The reason is, knowing that SL Army and LTTE collaborated and conspired together to kill IPKF soldiers, India should trust neither party, but seek tangible assurances - in other words, ask SL to take one step first, as an insurance against an Indian military action. SL should know, in no uncertain terms, that any possibility of refusing to give autonomy to the SL north, any possibility of SL dragging its feet on war-crimes investigations, any attempt to have the PRC setup a base, will draw India closer to some kind of preventive military action against SL.

Specific to the second paragraph, frankly, I am not very hopeful that SL will stop sending their troops for training to PRC, even if they sent many to India, but yes, we should encourage SL and Indian military level interaction.

Personally, I am categorically against boots on the ground, or arming a proxy. Such tactics never work, and almost certainly backfire.

Just IMHO.

ejazr

Ambassador
If the two Dravidian parties up the rhetoric it increases the risk of Tamil Nadu becoming a safe haven for Tamil extremism with serious implications for national security. As these developments affect Sri Lanka's [ Images ] internal security, it would kindle legitimate concerns in Colombo, says Colonel (retd) R Hariharan [ Images ].
Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadu: Trampling each other's toes - Rediff.com India News

Some interesting points made in the article on the Sri Lanka Air force pilots training issue.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Emotional response. And no, I don't buy it..
Frankly doesn't matter. All the points you raised were already raised and discussed many times on the numerous threads on this topic.Truth on the ground, that which does not make tis way to the magazines like TIME,WEEK etc based on which most of the people here make their opinion, differs. What is happening is a massive demographic transfer of Sinhala population up North and East, forced transfers of Tamil population to southern and western sinhala dominated areas, destruction of Tamil cultural symbols like temples and raising viharas upon them and a marked resistance to account for the massive warcrimes committed.

Moreover they have started denying their earlier commitments to India as well,

For example,

The Hindu : News / National : Rajapaksa does a U-turn on 13th Amendment

Anyway Lankans have perfected the art of milking India, by playing the China card, without any reciprocation on their part and this will continue. They have taken us to be their suckers, knowing that they can get away with anything and sadly they are right. The more you keep bending, the more they will hit on the heads.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles