from a number of countries for launching their
satellites in India.
The meeting was also informed that despite
successful launch of GSAT-8 and GSAT-12
satellites, there is shortage of transponders
primarily due to DTH and communication
requirements.
It was decided that steps should be taken to meet
the gap within two years, the sources said.
At present, Department of Space is leasing
transponders and using foreign launch vehicles to
meet the needs.
.......................for full article please visit above link

pmaitra

Where is this going to be? Perhaps around Nagercoil to get closer to the Equator?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Kerala I think would be the place.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumba_Equatorial_Rocket_Launching_Station

plugwater

Will it not fall on Srilanka in case of Nagercoil and on TN in case of kerala if anything goes wrong ?

pmaitra

Will it not fall on Srilanka in case of Nagercoil and on TN in case of kerala if anything goes wrong ?
Actually, chances are it will fall in the Arabian Sea right off the coast of Kerala even if the rocket manages to fly for 5 minutes.

plugwater

Actually, chances are it will fall in the Arabian Sea right off the coast of Kerala even if the rocket manages to fly for 5 minutes.
It goes down on Bay of bengal when launched from Sriharikota its due to rotation of earth i think. So i assumed it goes down in TN or SL.

Param

I wish it comes up in Nagercoil so that the rocket falls on Colombo.

Param

Do you want successful launches or failures for ISRO?
Even if the sat is launched succesfully the rest of the Rocket and boosters would have to come back to Earth. Having them fall in the sea would be such a waste.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Even if the sat is launched succesfully the rest of the Rocket and boosters would have to come back to Earth. Having them fall in the sea would be such a waste.
They just burn up and they are just small pieces of debris that is not going to do any damage.

ISRO might just face libel for damages if it falls in civilian areas, hurts or kills someone.

Param

They just burn up and they are just small pieces of debris that is not going to do any damage.

ISRO might just face libel for damages if it falls in civilian areas, hurts or kills someone.
I do not care if it falls over civilian areas in Singhala Lanka. As far as liabilities are concerned there is not much a tiny Island nation can do about except make noises.
This can also be of "Strategic" use since we will not be able to use the Tamil card in SL after a few years when the demographic profile is altered.

JAISWAL

Yes , it will be in THUMBA, in kerela as it allready is warking with the rocket test facelity and sounding rocket lunch site.
Here is extract from ISRO- FAQ
Why was Thumba selected for being the rocket launching station?.

The geomagnetic equator of the earth passes over Thumba.

What is a sounding rocket?
A sounding rocket is a rocket,
which is intended for assessing
the physical parameters of the
upper atmosphere.

for full FAQ on ISRO fallow this link
--- Welcome To Indian Space Research Organisation - FAQ

Last edited:

Param

Yes , it will be in THUMBA, in kerela as it allready is warking with the rocket test facelity and sounding rocket lunch site.
Here is extract from ISRO- FAQ
Why was Thumba selected for being the rocket launching station?.

The geomagnetic equator of the earth passes over Thumba.

What is a sounding rocket?
A sounding rocket is a rocket,
which is intended for assessing
the physical parameters of the
upper atmosphere.

for full FAQ on ISRO fallow this link
--- Welcome To Indian Space Research Organisation - FAQ
There is a big difference in launching small sounding rockets and PSLVs,GSLVs.
Is there any other Rocket launch Facility situated on the west coast of another country?

A rocket launched from Thumba would probably have to fly over populated areas TN . SHAR was chosen earlier because there is no land mass to the East.

plugwater

Is there any other Rocket launch Facility situated on the west coast of another country?

A rocket launched from Thumba would probably have to fly over populated areas TN . SHAR was chosen earlier because there is no land mass to the East.
Adding to that, they are calling for new launch pad because of north east monsoon. what about south west monsoon ? It does not make any sense if they choose kerala. Once location which is not much affected by both monsoon is coastal area between tuticorin and kanyakumari.

And we should consider Koodankulan nuclear reactor too. Is there any problem to have a launch pad and a nuclear reactor that closely ?

Param

Adding to that, they are calling for new launch pad because of north east monsoon. what about south west monsoon ? It does not make any sense if they choose kerala. Once location which is not much affected by both monsoon is coastal area between tuticorin and kanyakumari.

And we should consider Koodankulan nuclear reactor too. Is there any problem to have a launch pad and a nuclear reactor that closely ?
Exactly, I too was thinking about the same location. Tirunelveli has a coastline that faces in the south east direction. .

Maybe south coastal Tuticorin district would be the right place, since it is NE of Koodankulam.
I think that should be the right location

As far as Nuclear facility goes even Kalppakkam is not too far from SHAR.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Many. The US has two.

Here is a map showing various launch stations.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

I think one on the west coast can be utilized when the east is down during the north east monsoon. It would make sense to have one on the west coast i think.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I hope its next to the ocean so that after launch it can fall off in the ocean on not on my head!

The reason they choose kerala is off no scientific use, its only because of internal politics both the directors are from Kerala, they want their state to benefit. They even moved some critical labs like the RLV testing to Kerala. I am not against it going to kerala but i hope they get enough man-power there to hire. Kerala does not rank well in Scientifc circles.

plugwater

I think one on the west coast can be utilized when the east is down during the north east monsoon. It would make sense to have one on the west coast i think.
I guess south west is stronger than north east monsoon. If the primary reason to have a launch pad in different location is to use it for the most part of a year means it is a bad idea to go for some place in west coast. Best location is the area i mentioned if it does not cause any danger to Srilanka.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles