India to get anti-submarine torpedoes from US

Country flag
India to get anti-submarine torpedoes from US - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: India will get lightweight anti-submarines torpedoes to arm the eight P-8I maritime patrol aircraft it is buying from the US, with the Obama administration notifying the potential sale to the US Congress on Tuesday.

The news was welcomed by the US embassy in New Delhi, which said the sale of Mk-54 torpedoes reflects the mutual benefits of the India-US security relationship.

The Pentagon has "officially notified" the potential sale of Mk-54 lightweight torpedoes to the Indian Navy.

The Mk-54 is the most advanced lightweight torpedo in the US Navy inventory and is intended to be employed with the P-8I maritime patrol aircraft, eight of which are currently under construction for India by US aerospace major Boeing.

The P-8I, equipped with Mk-54 torpedoes, will provide highly-effective long-range anti-submarine warfare capabilities for the Indian Navy.

"The final content and price for the deal will be determined during discussions with the Indian government," the US embassy said.

"This sale reflects the mutual benefits of the U.S.-India security partnership. For India, the combined sale of the P-8I aircraft with the Mk-54 torpedoes will add to India's anti-submarine capability, as it expands its ability to protect India and the critical sea lanes of the Indian Ocean," it said.

"The offer highlights the US commitment to share cutting-edge technology with India and to ensure that both nations enjoy the benefits of a secure and stable South Asia," it added.

In addition to the US Navy, the Mk-54 torpedo is also in service with the Royal Australian Navy .

Country flag
defence.professionals | defpro.com

India Plans to Buy MK-54 Lightweight Torpedoes for Its P-8I

14:59 GMT, June 28, 2011 WASHINGTON | The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) notified U.S. Congress Friday of a possible Foreign Military Sale (FMS) to the Government of India for 32 MK-54 All-Up-Round Lightweight Torpedoes and associated equipment, parts, training and logistical support for an estimated cost of $86 million.

The Government of India has requested a possible sale of 32 MK-54 All-Up-Round Lightweight Torpedoes, 3 recoverable exercise torpedoes, 1 training shape, containers, spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, transportation, U.S. Government and contractor representatives' technical assistance, engineering and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support. The estimated cost is $86 million.

This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to strengthen the U.S.-India strategic relationship and to improve the security of a key important partner which continues to be an important force for political stability, peace, and economic progress in South Asia.

India intends to use the torpedoes on its Indian Navy P-8I Neptune maritime patrol aircraft, which will provide enhanced capabilities in effective defense of critical sea lines of communication.

The proposed sale of this equipment and support will not alter the basic military balance in the region.

The prime contractors will be The Boeing Company in St. Louis, Missouri, and a yet to be identified U.S. torpedo contractor. Details of a potential offset agreement in connection with the proposed sale are not known as of the date of this transmittal.

Implementation of this proposed sale will require U.S. Government and contractor representative in-country visits on a temporary basis for technical reviews, support, and oversight.

There will be no adverse impact on U.S. defense readiness as a result of this proposed sale.

This notice of a potential sale is required by law and does not mean the sale has been concluded.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Why these weapons were not part of the Pi8 deal. What are those anti submarine Pi8 meant for if basic weapons i.e antisubmarine torpedoes are not part of it and India has to purchase it separately, after getting green signal from US admin?

Country flag
Why these weapons were not part of the Pi8 deal. What are those anti submarine Pi8 meant for if basic weapons i.e antisubmarine torpedoes are not part of it and India has to purchase it separately, after getting green signal from US admin?
India negotiated Harpoons but this was not part of the initial deal. I agree it should have been a whole package.

Country flag
India to buy torpedoes from US for maritime patrol aircraft - The Times of India

India to buy torpedoes from US for maritime patrol aircraft

NEW DELHI: India is going to buy lightweight torpedoes from US to arm the dozen P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft it's acquiring from Boeing for $3.1 billion to plug existing surveillance gaps in the Indian Ocean.

The American Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) on Monday notified the US Congress of the impending sale of 32 MK-54 all-up-round lightweight torpedoes, along with associated equipment, spares and logistical support, to India for around $86 million.

The torpedoes, said DSCA, will "provide enhanced capabilities in effective defence of critical sea lines of communication". Armed with torpedoes, depth bombs and Harpoon missiles, apart from being packed with long-range radars and sensors, the P-8Is will boost the Indian Navy's anti-warship and anti-submarine warfare capabilities.

As first reported by TOI, India is finalising the contract for four new P-8Is, which will add to the eight such planes already contracted from Boeing under the $2.1-billion deal inked in January 2009. The first P-8I is slated for induction by early-2013.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I can guess why these were not part of the initial deal -

1. DRDO probably had promised that they can build something like this - and later decided that they can't. :D
2. The babus initially could not think of why/ how a plane can use torpedoes ... :D
3. The American companies were clever enough to exclude this from the deal so that IN has to buy it separately - double revenue for them.
4. Someone at MoD forgot to check that box ... :D

Parthy

Air Warrior
India negotiated Harpoons but this was not part of the initial deal. I agree it should have been a whole package.
This is much similar to the Mirage upgrade where the Weapons package is negotiated separately for ~$1Bn.. That is how they do it for more profit...

Parthy

Air Warrior
Raytheon unveils a new Anti-submarine weapon

-- Some info on Mk54

Fish Hawk, a wing kit system, has been purpose built for the US Navy's High Altitude ASW Weapons Capability (HAAWC) program, specifically with the new P-8 Poseidon in mind, eight variants of which (P8-I) have also been ordered by India.

This tested and proven weapon system enables maritime patrol operators to release a torpedo at high altitude, with a greatly extended launch envelope. The system then flies an optimum Global Positioning System and Inertial Navigation System (GPS/INS) guided flight profile to a precise splash-point to seek out, engage and destroy a threat submarine.

Fish Hawk will be available to India, subject to bilateral government negotiations between Washington and New Delhi.

Fish HawkT currently combines this high altitude precision delivery capability with the new MK 54 lightweight torpedo. Upon being released from the aircraft, Fish Hawk's pivot wing deploys to place the system into its GPS/INS guided flight profile. The system glides accurately to the targeted location using the Fish Hawk's integrated guidance system and articulated tail fins that provide its highly responsive directional control.

Once the system descends to the designated target location at a much lower altitude, the wing kit releases the torpedo, and a small parachute deploys to decelerate and stabilize the torpedo for water entry.

Following water entry, the MK 54's sophisticated inertial systems and sonar accurately detect and guide the torpedo to its intended target.

"Raytheon conducted a highly successful flight test demonstration of its new Fish Hawk weapon system in March 2008", according to Mark Borup, a Sr. Manager for Raytheon Missile Systems Business Development. "The Mk-54 configured demonstration met or exceeded all planned test points, proving Fish Hawk's effectiveness in meeting this critical naval requirement. The test highlighted Fish Hawk's impressive stand-off range and increased accuracy (CEP) - with a full 360 degree off bore-sight capability".

This proven high altitude solution significantly enhances aircraft survivability and time-to-engagement, while extending on-station deployment of advanced intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) systems that characterize the future of ASW. "Fish Hawk's new streamlined design, with low profile pivot wing, achieves the needed size and clearance to maximize the payload capacity of P-8 and other potential ASW platforms," he added.

Fish Hawk's unique modularity facilitates the incorporation of mature, proven components from other highly successful Raytheon programs in production, e.g., the Joint Stand-Off Weapon (JSOW) and Excalibur, offering an affordable low-risk solution with demonstrated performance and reliability", Borup said.

Using mature, proven components, Fish Hawk is guided to the target area by a highly integrated and reliable guidance system. Fish Hawk receives the targeting information in the preplanned mode from the ASW aircraft controller and gathers data while airborne through on-board sensors or other third-party targeting assets. Borup continued, "With the incorporation of mature, proven components , Fish Hawk represents an affordable, low-risk solution to the long-range, high-altitude ASW requirement".

Fish Hawk's system modularity also offers advantages in tailoring options for customer requirements and cost. One such advantage is a rapid path to Net enabled capability, should customer needs dictate.

Raytheon's businesses and partners are strategically aligned and fully committed to the Navy's P-8/sensors (Space and Airborne Systems), Mk-54 (Integrated Defense Systems), and HAAWC/Fish Hawk (Raytheon Missile Systems) programs. "These synergistic programs and resources ensure our ability to meet the most demanding customer requirements with affordable, fully integrated solutions", Borup suggested.

"As naval forces prepare for the future of the ASW fight, Raytheon provides the accuracy, lethality, reliability and affordability to make long-range submarine engagement a reality", Borup said "We provide the eyes and the teeth (detection and lethality) for Boeing's next generation maritime patrol aircraft, the P-8 Poseidon".

In early 2009, India signed a $2.1 billion dollar contract with Boeing for the initial purchase of the P-8I. Raytheon is a strong contender for the P-8I APY-10 radar system. Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) is currently teamed with Boeing's US Navy P-8 program to provide the crucial APY-10 radar system.

The APY-10 is a premier sensor for small-target detention in both maritime and overland environments. This integral system provides superior maritime, littoral and overland surveillance capability for assured ASW, Anti -Surface Warfare (ASuW) and intelligence, reconnaissance and surveillance mission support.

In today's changing high-tech world, new, more potent threats are emerging.

Slow, quiet, diesel submarines, for example, are now operating in shallow-water, littoral areas. As a result, lightweight torpedoes designed to defeat high-speed, nuclear-powered submarines in open-ocean environments are only part of the solution. Navies now need a lightweight torpedo capable of delivering a devastating blow to submarine threats in both deep and shallow water - and in various acoustic environments. One proven solution is the U.S. Navy's MK 54.

In addition, the emerging and rapidly proliferating subsurface and surface to air threats necessitate the stand-off ranges and increased precision and lethality that Fish Hawk brings to the Mk 54 torpedo.

Raytheon's MK 54 is the only lightweight torpedo capable of effectively striking any target in the world's oceans, regardless of water depth. The Mk 54's state-of-the-art Sonar has evolved from the technology demonstrated in the MK 50, which was proven through thousands of at-sea runs conducted against real submarines in countered scenarios and all environmental conditions. The sonar nose construction provides low array self-noise; the acoustic array and digital beamformer provide superior performance in littoral areas; and the transmitter flexibility and dual-band receiver provide extensive and effective volume coverage.

"For more than 25 years, Raytheon has collaborated with the government of India and been a trusted and valued partner and technology supplier in many areas. Raytheon has performed well and delivered successfully on all of its commitments to India during this time. Raytheon has recently initiated several innovative programs with India that will continue to expand and deepen our valued partnership in the future, and will enhance our collective positioning in the global marketplace.

Raytheon Company, with 2009 sales of $25 billion, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security and other government markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 88 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as a broad range of mission support services.

..:: India Strategic ::.. Missiles: Raytheon unveils a new Anti-submarine weapon

bhramos

Country flag
Then what is the fate of Tu-145M in service with IN, will they be retired and be replaced by P-8I???
as the P-8I are going to be deployed in same Arrakonam INAFB.........

Parthy

Air Warrior
Then what is the fate of Tu-145M in service with IN, will they be retired and be replaced by P-8I???
as the P-8I are going to be deployed in same Arrakonam INAFB.........
I believe it is Tu142M used by IN not 145M.. The aircraft will be retired once the new fleect P8i is stabilized...

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
so it is something like torpedo on cruise missile launch from plane. Interesting years ago i saw something like (pic) that was launched from ship against sub.

plugwater

I believe it is Tu142M used by IN not 145M.. The aircraft will be retired once the new fleect P8i is stabilized...
No, It will serve with P-8 for another 10+ years. It is being upgraded now.

Parthy

Air Warrior
No, It will serve with P-8 for another 10+ years. It is being upgraded now.
Manc, I believe the upgrade negotiations were not succeeded with Russia and then talks went with Israel, even that too didn't went well.. However, I'll check on that... :confused:

I've checked - Only IL 38 was upgraded being sent to Russia but not Tu-142. It will be replaced by P8i.

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Tu-142s are expensive to maintain and does not have modern EW/ detection capabilities. Upgradation would have been more expensive in the long run. P-8I is the best deal for the job.

Parthy

Air Warrior
P8i has only 1/5th of the Tu 142's Range and 1/2 of the speed.. Yes, it was quite expensive in maintaining the fleet and was not that impressive in performance as promised by the Russians..

Parthy

Air Warrior
Manc, I believe the upgrade negotiations were not succeeded with Russia and then talks went with Israel, even that too didn't went well.. However, I'll check on that... :confused:

I've checked - Only IL 38 was upgraded being sent to Russia but not Tu-142. It will be replaced by P8i.

Finally got some information:

Tu-142M Comes In Low To Attack Pirates

On May 6th, an Indian Tu-142M recon aircraft buzzed Somali pirates that were attacking a Chinese cargo ship. The huge (50 meter/167 foot wingspan, four engine) aircraft had the desired effect, and the pirates fled. The incident took place 800 kilometers off the west coast of India, which accounts for the presence of the Indian aircraft. The pirates have become increasingly active off India, and maritime patrol aircraft, usually used to search for hostile warships, are an ideal system for spotting pirates.

This may be the last bit of action these aging aircraft will see. India is buying American P-8I maritime reconnaissance aircraft, with another four ordered earlier this year. This is largely in response to growing Chinese naval activity in the Indian Ocean. Three years ago, India bought eight U.S. P-8s, for about $220 million each. The growing expense of maintaining their Russian Tu-142M reconnaissance aircraft, and the need for a more capable recon aircraft, led to that initial order. The first P-8I will arrive in 2014. Not quite as massive as Tu-142s, with only a 37.6 meter (123.6 foot) wingspan, the P-9Is are jet propelled, versus the prop driven Tu-142s.

The decision to switch to U.S. maritime recon aircraft is rather recent. Four years ago India received another Russian built Tu-142 maritime reconnaissance aircraft. Beginning in 1988, when it received three of them, India bought more and now has a fleet of eight in service.

The Tu-142, which was introduced in the 1970s, is the maritime patrol version of the Tu-95 heavy bomber. The Tu-95 aircraft entered service over half a century ago, and is expected to remain in service, along with the Tu-142 variant, for another three decades. Over 500 Tu-95s were built, and it is the largest and fastest turboprop aircraft in service. Russia still maintains a force of 60 Tu-95s, but has dozens in storage, which can be restored to service as either a bomber or a Tu-142.

The 188 ton aircraft has flight crew consisting of a pilot, copilot, engineer and radioman, and an unrefueled range of 15,000 kilometers. Max speed is 925 kilometers an hour, while cruising speed is 440 kilometers an hour. Originally designed as a nuclear bomber, the Tu-142 version still can carry up to ten tons of weapons (torpedoes, mines, depth charges, anti-ship missiles, sonobuoys) and a lot more sensors (naval search radar, electronic monitoring gear). There are two 23mm autocannon mounted in the rear of the aircraft. The mission crew of a Tu-142 usually consists of eight personnel, who operate the radars and other electronic equipment. Patrol flights for the Tu-142 can last twelve hours or more, especially when in-flight refueling is used. Maximum altitude is over 14,000 meters (45,000 feet), although the aircraft flies much lower when searching for submarines. India requires aircraft like these for patrolling the vast India ocean waters that surround the subcontinent. India wanted to upgrade the electronics on its Tu-142s, but has been put off by the high price, and low performance, of what the Russians offered.

The P-8A Poseidon is based on the widely used Boeing 737 airliner. India will get a version (P-8I) customized for their needs. Although the Boeing 737 based P-8 is a two engine jet, compared to the four engine turboprop P-3, it is a more capable plane. Cruise speed for the 737 is 910 kilometers an hour. This makes it possible for the P-8 to get to a patrol area faster, which is a major advantage when chasing down subs first spotted by sonar arrays or satellites. The P-8 has a crew of 10-11 pilots and equipment operators, who operate the search radar and various other sensors. The 737 has hard points on the wings for torpedoes or missiles.

The B-737 is a more modern design than the Tu-142, and has been used successfully since the 1960s by commercial aviation. The Boeing 737 first flew in 1965, and over 5,000 have been built. The P-8A will be the first 737 designed with a bomb bay and four wing racks for weapons. The U.S. P-8 costs more, about $275 million each, because of different equipment carried.

Tu-142M Comes In Low To Attack Pirates

plugwater

Parthy,

Long-range ASW aircraft Tu-142ME was handed over to India after overhaul and modernization by JSC TAVIA. In 2010 another Tu-142ME will be also capitally repaired, upgraded, and delivered to Indian Navy, reported ITAR-TASS referring to the company's press service.

The press release did not mention how many aircrafts have already been repaired and modernized.

Upgraded ASW aircraft Tu-142ME was delivered to Indian Navy
After modernization it can serve 16 years, got it from that link.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles