India To Buy Barak-I Missiles After Bribery Investigation Crumbles

mehrotraprince

Country flag

The Indian Navy is likely to move forward with the procurement of an additional 262 Barak-I missiles worth $641 million from Israeli Aerospace Industries, after India's leading investigation agency closed its investigation into allegations of bribery in the Barak missile case.

The Barak-I missiles deemed a "critical operational requirement" by successive navy chiefs is likely to be cleared by the Defense Acquisitions Council led by defense minister AK Antony on December 23.

The CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) on Tuesday closed the case against the accused; including former defence minister George Fernandes, former Navy chief Admiral Sushil Kumar and others admitting that it had no evidence of bribery.

The allegations first surfaced in 2001 when Tehelka, a New Delhi-based publication, released tapes showing several key players discussing bribes paid to close several defense deals, including the Barak missile procurement deal.

In its First Information Report, the CBI in 2006 alleged that "large payments were remitted from the firm MTU Aero Engines, a supplier to IAI, into the bank accounts of Dynatron Services, a company managed by Suresh Nanda (among the accused) and his family members."

However, in its closure report filed on Monday, the CBI said that after six years it did not find any substantial evidence to prove that bribes were paid in lieu of the contract.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Good news, Its better to arm Kolkata Class with Barak-1 till Barak-2 successfully tested and approved for production ..
What about Vikky's Barak deal Major ..same She also get Barak 1 Until the arrival of Barak 8
AFAIK both Viky & Kolkata are supposed to have both Barak-1 and Barak-8 SAMs.

Barak-1 for short range and Barak-8 for long range.

Blackwater

i dont understand why banned the company for bribe if product is exellent.

same happened with bofors. bloody Indian govt banned bofors though the GUN was and is marvelous till today

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag

same happened with bofors. bloody Indian govt banned bofors though the GUN was and is marvelous till today
we are indians we like to kick ourself after doing something right.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Though there is something fishee abt this ..

1. Navy needed Barak system and has pressure over GOI ..
2. CBII blocked IAI without much proof except tehalka vid ..
3. Few days back Tehalka`s senior editor was jailed for sexual assault on a elderly fat lady ..
4. Most surprisingly he admitted his mistakes ..
5. CBI find no proof and company goes free ..

I would like to remind you that Soltam of Israel is still banned due to corruption charges, Israel imports are next to Russians, The Tehalka senior editor had no choice to go for a sexual assault on an older fat lady, And too admitted his mistakes too quickly ..

@Ray Sir, @Decklander Sir, Mr @Singh , @bengalraider ..

Last edited by a moderator:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Though there is something fishee abt this ..

1. Navy needed Barak system and has pressure over GOI ..
2. CBII blocked IAI without much proof except tehalka vid ..
3. Few days back Tehalka`s senior editor was jailed for sexual assault on a elderly fat lady ..
4. Most surprisingly he admitted his mistakes ..
5. CBI find no proof and company goes free ..

I would like to remind you that Soltam of Israel is still banned due to corruption charges, Israel imports are next to Russians, The Tehalka senior editor had no choice to go for a sexual assault on an older fat lady, And too admitted his mistakes too quickly ..

@Ray Sir, @Decklander Sir, Mr @Singh , @bengalraider ..
tarun tejpal is accused of sexually harrasing a young journalist and not a elderly fat lady.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned

Its because these deals are linked to other issues like consular, immigration, education, support on international platforms and other things related to foreign policy.

Indian Government has adopted a policy which is mainly to safeguard the national interest in long term .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles