India to acquire 'x-band' radars

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Swordfish is a L-band radar i think. So is there any possibility we can develop a long range X-band radar ?
I never said we should buy THAAD system. I really doubt whether US will give this tech to us. This is their best radar its like selling F-22 to us.
Its early for me to say on possibility of Swordfish X-band. Lets wait for some time. Power requirement of X-band would be too high. We are requiring assistance on even extending range of L-band radar so making X-band on our won will be huge undertaking. I think so because Israel has already got their X-band even if operated by Unkil. Plus, MOD will be looking for 4500km+ x-band radar to cover entire China & other locations of IOR.

Another point in my mind is Americans might not like giving us X-band because it'll put Diego Garcia on our map.

plugwater

Wait for a year or two. more stronger China becomes more and more system and techs will be offered directly or indirectly to us to create a counterweight . Everything is possible in Love and war.
Why should we always depend on US? The best way is we should try to develop one even if we fail the experience we can gain from it will be enormous.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we have to play china card against US, we should get all the tech we need (borrow, steal or JV or develop) do what is must for our security, but maintain independence and sovereignty.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Price does not matter in this case..although it was speculated to cost $750 mil....but i would not complain if they give us in $1 bil. or, even $1.5 bil...

BTW i am back after 6 months.. level of discussion has improved a lot here..thanks to you guys..i plan to come more often now..
I'm not aware of price at all. If purchased this will make India first customer to purchase X-band from US for separate use. However, these whole opinions are from my side. US hasn't given a word on possibility of anything like this. Also US policy is always of some inner knots.

P.S: Do come often, forum time is most of time enjoyable... :)

JHA

Wait for a year or two. more stronger China becomes more and more system and techs will be offered directly or indirectly to us to create a counterweight . Everything is possible in Love and war.
yes..thats the only hope we have of laying our hands on these hi-tech stuff...who would have thought 10 years back that we will be the first foreign country to operate their cutting edge plane (P-8I) and will be offered F-35 before gulf countries...

Country flag
Maybe a joint development venture with Israel maybe the best avenue??

JHA

Why should we always depend on US? The best way is we should try to develop one even if we fail the experience we can gain from it will be enormous.
We cant take chance of failing...We should cooperate with Israel on this in the same way we are doing to increase the range of swordfish from 600 Km. to 100 Km.

Once we have SWORDFISH-Ex with us...move on to X-band radar..
However i think once chinese Carrier-killer is ready..we will be offered a lot of goodies..

BTW anybody knows how can i change my user name..?

plugwater

We cant take chance of failing...We should cooperate with Israel on this in the same way we are doing to increase the range of swordfish from 600 Km. to 100 Km.

However i think once chinese Carrier-killer is ready..we will be offered a lot of goodies..

How do you think Israel will help us? Israel is upgrading is green pine radar to 800km range and we are upgrading to 1500km. So i think we may have got more advance than Israel.

SHASH2K2

wether we accept it or not we are technology wise behind to China and America both. If we start developing Xband radar now it will take years to get just a basic version of it and by the time it will be outdated. best option is to either steal it like Chinese or ask directly for access to the tech or put open political or financial pressure for access.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

now is the time of JV, we dont need to develop complete system, what has been achived with BMD and other new project policy will follow with JV in selected parts of the project.

SHASH2K2

How do you think Israel will help us? Israel is upgrading is green pine radar to 800km range and we are upgrading to 1500km. So i think we may have got more advance than Israel.
Our swordfish RADAR is also developed with the help of Israel. Moreover Arrow system is to nullify short range threats and for long range they have Xband RAdar.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
JV has work both ways we have learn from then and they have learn from us, few of the things they have learn from us has find place in the Greenpine II. BTW they have started Greenpine II after working with our LRTR. For record LRTR range was greater then Greenpine I radar.

plugwater

wether we accept it or not we are technology wise behind to China and America both. If we start developing Xband radar now it will take years to get just a basic version of it and by the time it will be outdated. best option is to either steal it like Chinese or ask directly for access to the tech or put open political or financial pressure for access.
Only USA and Russia have this technology. China doesnt have one. so we can easily catch up with china in this radar technology with some outside(maybe russia) help.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
yes..thats the only hope we have of laying our hands on these hi-tech stuff...who would have thought 10 years back that we will be the first foreign country to operate their cutting edge plane (P-8I) and will be offered F-35 before gulf countries...
The situation for India you are talking about will never come as till the time these situation can born, it will be around 2020+,and till that time, you cant imagine how strong Indian Armed Forces would have been.

These situations are currently faced by Pakistan, Taiwan,etc. But these countries are not "INDIA". India may be offered some stuff but I doubt that it would meet the requirement of Indian Armed Forces.
Take an example. Today Pakistan is getting F-16 for free(no matter there is the US military strategy behind it but at least they are getting it for free)and frigates at a low price, which compared to todays aircrafts and frigates is a bit low in ability. So after 10 or 12 years when China will become more powerful in the world , do you think India would be provided with the best of what the superpowers have? Never. And also it will not be accepted by IA, IAF or IN. As our armed forces are not so cheap that for the low price they will compromise with their standards.Never.

SHASH2K2

Only USA and Russia have this technology. China doesnt have one. so we can easily catch up with china in this radar technology with some outside(maybe russia) help.
not sure if Russia has Xband technology . Heard their RADAR is having better Range but they are bistatic RADAR. Any expert will be in better position to comment.

plugwater

not sure if Russia has Xband technology . Heard their RADAR is having better Range but they are bistatic RADAR. Any expert will be in better position to comment.
Sayareakd can answer this. He is the one who found out about the Russian radar.

JHA

The situation for India you are talking about will never come as till the time these situation can born, it will be around 2020+,and till that time, you cant imagine how strong Indian Armed Forces would have been.

These situations are currently faced by Pakistan, Taiwan,etc. But these countries are not "INDIA". India may be offered some stuff but I doubt that it would meet the requirement of Indian Armed Forces.
Take an example. Today Pakistan is getting F-16 for free(no matter there is the US military strategy behind it but at least they are getting it for free)and frigates at a low price, which compared to todays aircrafts and frigates is a bit low in ability. So after 10 or 12 years when China will become more powerful in the world , do you think India would be provided with the best of what the superpowers have? Never. And also it will not be accepted by IA, IAF or IN. As our armed forces are not so cheap that for the low price they will compromise with their standards.Never.

Regarding Pakistan getting F-16 free- NO, They are not getting these for free..in fact they had paid for them long back and US didnot deliver these to them. Ironically they have even charged Pakistan the parking fee..Bottom line DONOT TRUST US COMPLETELY

China wiil be more powerful- compared to..? they already are No.3 militarily and No. 2 overall..they will remain so for atleast 5 more decades..

do you think India would be provided with the best of what the superpowers have- Yes i do believe that we will be offered the best ..even though we will have to pay dearly for these..(by best i mean something like F-35..not F-22..US does not offer any thing if they already are not having its superior version )

As our armed forces are not so cheap that for the low price they will compromise with their standards.Never- hahaha..sadly its not our forces which make the last call..however things are changing for good these days..Armed forces are having more say in the mattres..but we should not forget A-400 deal..

Reactions: nrj

JHA

Russia has the tech. They were supposed to used this in Zhuk-Ae radar to be used in Mig-35..since india most probably wont buy these..these will be used in PAK-FA/FGFA with some L-band AESA radars....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles