India , The US And Japan To Hold Trilateral Meet .

Zebra

Country flag
December 10 2011 / Maritime Security
Washington/New Delhi, (IANS)

Against the backdrop of China's increasing assertiveness in East Asia, India, the US and Japan will hold their first trilateral meeting Dec 19 in the US capital to discuss "a range of Asia Pacific regional issues" among the three leading "Pacific democracies."

"This meeting is going to be an opportunity to hold a comprehensive discussion on a range of Asia-Pacific regional issues," US State Department spokesman Mark Toner told reporters in Washington Monday.

The specific agenda is still being determined, "but obviously, as the three leading Pacific democracies, we look forward to productive exchanges with India and Japan," he said.

Asked why India, an Indian Ocean country, was invited to the meeting as one of the "Pacific democracies," Toner said, "This is a chance for us to discuss regional issues."

In response to a question that why Australia was not invited to the meeting, Toner explained that it "isn't all-inclusive."

"I don't know about Australia. All these talks don't have to be completely inclusive. Again, this is a chance for us to meet with three leading democracies in the region."

The dialogue, earlier scheduled for October 8 in Tokyo, was postponed at Washington's request.

Driven by Tokyo and finalised during then foreign secretary Nirupama Rao's visit to Japan in April 2010, the dialogue is also part of New Delhi's effort to go beyond the stated Look East policy and engage North Asia as well.

Informed sources said that India will be represented at the trilateral meeting by Asoke Mukherji, additional secretary (Political) in the external affairs ministry. He will be accompanied by other senior officials, including Jawed Ashraf, joint secretary in charge of Americas and Gautam Bambawale, joint secretary in charge of East Asia.

The US is expected to be represented by Kurt Campell, assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs. Japan's director general of East Asia in its foreign ministry will participate in the meeting.

Issues relating to maritime security, piracy and non-proliferation are expected to figure prominently in the dialogue, sources said.

The trilateral has been in the making for a long time, but the first meeting comes at a time when China is becoming increasingly assertive in East Asia and the US is seeking to ramp up its engagement with the Asia-Pacific region that includes some of the fast-growing economies in the world.

The US is also pushing India to play a proactive role in the region by urging it "to think East and act East". Recently, Hillary Clinton visited Myanmar, the first visit by a US Secretary of State to that country in last five decades, paving the way for accelerated engagement of Washington with that country and the larger Southeast Asian region.

The three sides have made it clear that the trilateral dialogue is not directed against China, but Beijing has been uneasy with such an exercise and has tended to see such a move as a ganging up of democracies to encircle its rising influence in the region.

http://maritimesecurity.asia/free-2/maritime-security-asia/with-china-on-mind-india-us-japan-to-hold-trilateral-meet/

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
So the USA is a Pacific democracy.

niharjhatn

So the USA is a Pacific democracy.
And a middle eastern democracy, and a south american democracy, and an african democracy... :D

I watched parts of the GOP debate the other day, and Ron Paul said that the US had 900 (!!) bases around the world... if true, that is just incredible. That I find is the big problem I have with India dealing with the US - the US have SOOO many diverse interests spread across different nations... of course the US will (and should!) only do what's best with the US, but this makes international alliance a very convoluted and obscure affair - pulling back one veil only to find another sort of thing.

I would be much more comfortable if the interest of the US were more transparent - ala the Monroe Doctrine

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Ron Paul said that the US had 900 (!!) bases around the world...
PolitiFact | Ron Paul says U.S. has military personnel in 130 nations and 900 overseas bases

Among the actual number of 662 "bases",

...the sole site listed for Canada is 144 square feet of leased space -- equal to a 12-foot-by-12-foot room. That's an extreme case, but other nations on the list -- such as Aruba, Iceland, Indonesia, Kenya, Norway and Peru -- have just a few U.S. military buildings, many of them leased. Some of the sites are unmanned radio relay towers or other minor facilities. "Most of them are a couple of acres with a cyclone fence and no troops," Pike said.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I believe its fair to assume that some bases are confidential and not for public consumption. USA was flying people to egypt and libya and mubarak & gaddafi were all too willing to meet the requirements by torturing them.

agentperry

some deal to be brokered which lay foundation for the future conflict and misunderstanding.

better develop all inclusive economy of all the like-minded people to create league of nations which are like states of a nation. this will automatically bring parity and security to nations and its residents.

aerokan

Country flag
Even if one-fourth of the number u mentioned are reasonable it is still more than the number of countries which accommodate US bases.. (not considering the fact that most of the countries are reasonably small). Do u still find it acceptable? Doesn't Ron Paul has a valid point irrespective of the 'distorted' numbers?? How long does US intend to remain a parasite leeching on the rest of the world??

After seeing the presidential debates and the support for the likes of nut jobs from the common people who don't even have the guts to answer the controversial questions other than repeating the buzz words, i am starting to wonder the sanity of the common man of US.

niharjhatn

Ah ok, thanks for that... remind me this is the last time I expect a republican candidate to have a firm grip on the numbers :D (and they're trying to pull american out of this economic downturn.. good luck :shocked:)

It did sound a bit over the top... but still, the military involvement of the US around the world is unbelievable, and a real measure of the unbelievable strength they exert... however, the point Ron Paul made is still valid, ultimately these "bases" still cost $$$ and even if cheap individually, if you total them up... :shocked:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles