India: the Story You Never Wanted to Hear by Rose Chasm

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Pepper spray wont defend a woman, Guns will ..

==================

There should be small size firearm specially for woman should be available at cheaper cost ( 10-15k ) ..

Also those who are have licensed gun should also trained for Gun safety >>

1. Treat always Guns even when empty as always loaded ..
2. Never point it on anything unless you are 100% sure to shoot, Point only to shoot ..
3. Never put your finger on the trigger unless you are really shooting ..
4. Know your target and the area behind it ..

These things need to be surgically attached to those woman who buys it..

SPIEZ

Country flag
Though violence at any level is not desirable, but somehow I am led to believe "girls with guns" is not really that bad an idea.

But then, human nature is fickle & self-centered. Guns take lives (irreversible/irrevocable harm) & misuse cannot be ruled out (e.g. for settling personal scores). The judgment criteria who should wield arm & who shouldn't, would be highly subjective.

Maybe, something on lines of Umreeka's NRA (Indian version) or a loosened gun-control regime would help matters. Though, I have little idea how much that helped crimes in US where crime levels are known to be beyond acceptable level.

@W.G.Ewald ?

I meant guns in the hand of female police.

Much better option.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPIEZ

Country flag
Besides this, there are plenty of great places in India for tourism.

Kerala is an awesome place, here the locals are very helpful and besides that there are no starers when foriegners or pretty wimmin cross the road.

Overall, except for the food, I would give Kerala 8/10.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
This ain't gonna change really, trust me, even in times to come. There are many fundamental factors at play beyond morality, ethics or sensitization (& beyond scope of discussion) that cannot be addressed by mere lip-service that we seem to be doing.
Things are going to be like that. Because, we are not ready.

thanks for your forthrightness

we've spent enough time and space on this forum detailing the problem - how about some solutions ?

i'd say :- NAME AND SHAME - in fact this has already made a start with the delhi g-rp case where the lady was airlifted to singapore but eventually died in a first-class hospital there

the family names of the perpetrators were released to public media and I understand the families are feeling some heat

but apparently it's not having a sufficient effect nationwide- so i'd say the minister in -charge of this area - social area - (would that be our wonderful R Vinci ?) oh my .....

well anyway either he or whoever else it may be will have to bring all community leaders together - either physically or via virtual meeting or inform them via letter, that from now on not only the names of those found guilty will be published in the national media eg tv radio an print media but also their ethnic community i.e. whether their are punjabi, tamil or Marathi, Bengali etc etc and their religion will be published as well - i.e if they were Christian and within that were they Methodist and if possible which church or madrassah or mosque or temple or synagogue they attended ( accordingly to whichever religion they belonged to )

....this would in a sense bring the responsibility on the ethnic community and religious group, church pastor or madrassah leader etc etc to clean up their act

there would now be a competition and an impetus, a reason to want to improve

- whereas at the moment , there is none

I know this is a drastic and controversial solution - but the situation itself is drastic and controversial and only such as solution can solve this problem

Heck, i had been hearing from christian missionary ladies as early as the 1980's that they were subject to all this nonsense in india - but it wasnt quite as serious nor as widespread then -

the problem has gotten worse , largely because there's no perceived negative consequence for the would-be perpetrator(s)

Recently , of late, india has acquired an extremely bad name in the global media because of the increasing frequency and indeed increasing severity of attacks on women both local, and foreign

"¦.soon if unchecked, foreign embassies may have to issue warnings to would be tourists to India and that will have an effect on the Indian economy.

People are beginning to say that even muslim Pakistan is safer for women than hindu India

40 years ( or more ) hasn't been enough to solve this problem ?
We need some drastic action otherwise they'll be molesting the women cops in front of the judge !

Singapore's lee kuan yew would have solved this problem for his tiny nation within a month - he would have needed perhaps a bit more time for a larger system like India - perhaps a year or 18 months

But certainly not 40 years as we are experiencing in India

Will we take serious action or not - as there is no half-way measure possible given that the problem has been allowed to grow to this stage

dhananjay1

The news article is written as if CNN and other western news channels never write anything biased against India. :rofl: What was she expecting? a country where everyone is a "spiritual" guru and no one does anything disagreeable? Was she expecting everyone behave when it comes to matters of sex, "normally", that is to say like Americans? If some woman walks into a wrong area at the wrong time in US she would be in danger, too. This is just more fuel to the self-mortification crowd, who likes to cry constantly about how bad India is and how come it's not becoming more like some ideal version of "the west".

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
A woman in America could dress half-naked and none of this stuff would happen to her. If any American man masturbated in public to a woman, he would find himself locked away in prison. Sexual harassment is taken extremely seriously.

The problem is that in many parts of India, people don't have respect for other people or the Law, and feel like they can get any with anything. Hence you see instances like this. Sexual frustration and low levels of education may also play a part.

parijataka

Country flag
A woman in America could dress half-naked and none of this stuff would happen to her. If any American man masturbated in public to a woman, he would find himself locked away in prison. Sexual harassment is taken extremely seriously.

The problem is that in many parts of India, people don't have respect for other people or the Law, and feel like they can get any with anything. Hence you see instances like Sexual frustration and low levels of education may also play a part.
Level of education has less to do with this than a culture of treating women like 'paanv ki jooti' especially in N Indian states like Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, etc. Punjab and Haryana are prosperous states yet their macho culture leads to disregard for women. West Bengal does not have the `paanv ki jooti` culture but general lawlessness is leading to violence against women.

W and S India are very much better in this respect.

PS - paanv ki jooti = footwear

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

Kerala is an awesome place, here the locals are very helpful and besides that there are no starers when foriegners or pretty wimmin cross the road.

You gotta be joking.

I loved the place's food, especially the abundance of seafood cuisines that they have. Spicy, pungent and very intense flavouring.

Don't mind but I am a seafood fanatic and here in Sikkim, it costs a bomb.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

The problem is that in many parts of India, people don't have respect for other people or the Law, and feel like they can get any with anything. Hence you see instances like this. Sexual frustration and low levels of education may also play a part.
It is not about education but the disregard for other people in general which translates into sexual aggression against other women.

Not to mention, family's aversion to topics of sex creates a very constricted environment across India in all regions, frustrating many youth who have no idea how to responsibly engage in sex.

Result? Rapes, unwanted pregnancies, STDs etc.

And this disregard can range anywhere between something as small as driving on the wrong side of the road, to rape and murder of some stranger who had done nothing

Attitude of Indians generally is a problem. Whether educated or not, places like Delhi and to some extent bigger cities in Punjab have a serious attitude problem.

In Delhi for example, if someone is driving on the opposite side of the highway and I request this person not to, the best response I will get is. "Kyon be!? Tere baap ki sadak hai kya?".

This mentality is prevalent within all the regions of India in varying degrees. Here in NE, it is less prevalent though.

However, it all boils down to mentality.

We worship the various forms of female divinity like Hindus (and some sardars) worship Durga, Kali, Lakshmi etc while we worship Saraswati and among other great Enlightened goddesses.

But we all collectively don't understand the REAL meaning behind worshipping like this. The true respect that a woman needs to be given.

The best part is, those foreigners who adopt eastern philosophies turn out to be gem of people who understand, adopt and practice our concepts very sincerely compared to us.

We have it in our culture to respect women and feminine beauty in various forms, but sadly we don't respect it.

Star Wars

Am having a hard time believing this...if true.... then its sickening....

TrueSpirit

thanks for your forthrightness

we've spent enough time and space on this forum detailing the problem - how about some solutions ?

i'd say :- NAME AND SHAME - in fact this has already made a start with the delhi g-rp case where the lady was airlifted to singapore but eventually died in a first-class hospital there

the family names of the perpetrators were released to public media and I understand the families are feeling some heat

but apparently it's not having a sufficient effect nationwide- so i'd say the minister in -charge of this area - social area - (would that be our wonderful R Vinci ?) oh my .....

well anyway either he or whoever else it may be will have to bring all community leaders together - either physically or via virtual meeting or inform them via letter, that from now on not only the names of those found guilty will be published in the national media eg tv radio an print media but also their ethnic community i.e. whether their are punjabi, tamil or Marathi, Bengali etc etc and their religion will be published as well - i.e if they were Christian and within that were they Methodist and if possible which church or madrassah or mosque or temple or synagogue they attended ( accordingly to whichever religion they belonged to )

....this would in a sense bring the responsibility on the ethnic community and religious group, church pastor or madrassah leader etc etc to clean up their act

there would now be a competition and an impetus, a reason to want to improve

- whereas at the moment , there is none

I know this is a drastic and controversial solution - but the situation itself is drastic and controversial and only such as solution can solve this problem

Heck, i had been hearing from christian missionary ladies as early as the 1980's that they were subject to all this nonsense in india - but it wasnt quite as serious nor as widespread then -

the problem has gotten worse , largely because there's no perceived negative consequence for the would-be perpetrator(s)

Recently , of late, india has acquired an extremely bad name in the global media because of the increasing frequency and indeed increasing severity of attacks on women both local, and foreign

"¦.soon if unchecked, foreign embassies may have to issue warnings to would be tourists to India and that will have an effect on the Indian economy.

People are beginning to say that even muslim Pakistan is safer for women than hindu India

40 years ( or more ) hasn't been enough to solve this problem ?
We need some drastic action otherwise they'll be molesting the women cops in front of the judge !

Singapore's lee kuan yew would have solved this problem for his tiny nation within a month - he would have needed perhaps a bit more time for a larger system like India - perhaps a year or 18 months

But certainly not 40 years as we are experiencing in India

Will we take serious action or not - as there is no half-way measure possible given that the problem has been allowed to grow to this stage
Excellent suggestion

Star Wars

I could show you enough statistics to prove this wrong in so many different ways ... India is nowhere special, its the same the world over....

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
AFAIK, female police officers themselves keep getting assaulted in UP & sometimes even in Delhi
sometimes????
they get harassed all the time.
them perverted b@stards call 100 no. to talk and abuse female police responders.

we need good education and thats all.
government schools are sh8t and so are the most of the pass outs.
also we need liberalisation.most of these incident happens because young man are sexually and economically frustrated.

look at it in this way.if these people would have been educated then they would have known that i should treat them foreigners with respect,love and care so that these foreigners visit there hotel again and again and spend tons of dollars. :gangnam:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Why would a man molest a woman? Because a decent woman is out of his reach?
Why is a decent woman out of his reach? Because he does not have money or education to make some?
Isn't molestation the result of taking out frustrations and a wrong notion of what is "cool"?
So isn't development and growth of the lower socio-economic classes the major pre-requisite for making women safer in India?

2 instances from my personal experience:

In 2011, I complained about an employee (12th pass agent, getting 3500pm salary) in my then office to the ombudsman who regularly used to make catcalls to women on street in front of the road side tea stall in front of the office. The reply I go was that they would not take any steps unless the victim is an employee and she herself makes the complaint. Isn't this basically saying that what he has doing was OK as long as the org does not suffer?

In 2005, while going to office on my bike with my colleague for night shift during Durga Puja, I saw a group of 4 rowdies pulling the dupatta of a young woman on a scooter with her husband. When I shouted at them to stop, they came and started assaulting me and my colleague. After beating them up nice and good I called the police standing nearby and watching the entire thing while sipping tea, and told them that I wanted to lodge an FIR against them. The police told me that I should go away and not come near the area for a few months as apparently the people I stopped molesting had "connections". Isn't this providing political/legal cover to such men?

As long as there is no socio-economic development of the lower classes, and the higher classes retain the age old "chalta hai" or "not my problem" attitude, women will never be safe in India.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag

my sister visited kerala and she told me that men in kerala are so respectful to ladies that they stopped drinking(it was a local wine or something) as soon as they saw that few ladies were coming in there direction.

she also told me that they allowed ladies to board the boat first even when they were first in line and were waiting for the boat for the last 25 minutes.

see as i mentioned in my earlier post.education helps in reducing these type of crime.
keralites are the most educated people in india.they know that if they will treat there tourists well then they will come to there place again and again and hence they will spend tons of rupees.
:gangnam:

TrueSpirit

You gotta be joking.

I loved the place's food, especially the abundance of seafood cuisines that they have. Spicy, pungent and very intense flavouring.

For someone who is vegetarian, Kerala food is actually yuckkk

SPIEZ

Country flag
You gotta be joking.

Every Damn thing is cooked in bloody coconut oil :puke:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Every Damn thing is cooked in bloody coconut oil :puke:
The same thing can be said about regional cooking mediums man.

For example, Punjabi food is all about sarso ka tel and tonnes of onions.

Gujarati food is all dry and sweet, my cuisine is all about rice cakes, momos and non-veg (north sikkimese cook in yak fat).

You will be totally shocked if you eat a traditional meal in Nagaland, if you can eat it as you may find it too exotic to even try.

Even we NE Indians get shocked at each others cuisines.

Each region has its own delicacy and ways of cooking.

SPIEZ

Country flag
The same thing can be said about regional cooking mediums man.

For example, Punjabi food is all about sarso ka tel and tonnes of onions.

Gujarati food is all dry and sweet, my cuisine is all about rice cakes, momos and non-veg (north sikkimese cook in yak fat).

You will be totally shocked if you eat a traditional meal in Nagaland, if you can eat it as you may find it too exotic to even try.

Even we NE Indians get shocked at each others cuisines.

Each region has its own delicacy and ways of cooking.

Yeah, yeah true, but we generally use coconut oil for the head.

For any other purpose it is YUCK! Plus I hate the taste of anyhting cooked with coconut oil.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles