India, Thailand work on defence cooperation pact

Discussion in 'Foreign Relations' started by Galaxy, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

India, Thailand work on defence cooperation pact

NEW DELHI, December 24, 2011 | K. V. PRASAD

They review ongoing programmes including joint exercises, training of personnel

Stepping up its engagement with countries in East Asia, India on Friday held the first meeting of defence dialogue with Thailand, taken in line with the agreement between the two countries reached earlier this year.

Both sides exchanged views on the regional security issues and reviewed ongoing programmes including joint exercises, training of personnel, diplomatic sources said adding that work has begun on a possible Memorandum of Understanding in the area.

The dialogue also assumes significance since India has invited Thailand Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to be the chief guest at next year's Republic Day parade. Thailand Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, is scheduled to visit New Delhi from December 26 to 28 for a meeting of the Joint Commission.

The defence dialogue with Bangkok comes close on the heels of New Delhi's similar engagement with countries including South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, among others in East Asia.

Defence cooperation between India and Thailand comprises regular joint exercises/joint maritime patrols near the international maritime boundary to counter terrorism, piracy and smuggling; training of officers at each others' Armed Forces Training institutions and participation as observers in military exercises, staff talks and exchange of trainee visits at various levels.

COASTAL SECURITY

During the visit of the then Thailand Prime Minister, Abhijit Vejjajiva, in April this year, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced that both New Delhi and Bangkok agreed to strengthen defence cooperation by having senior official-level dialogue between the Defence Ministries. Both sides decided to cooperate to secure vital sealanes of communications in the Indian Ocean.

The Hindu : News / National : India, Thailand work on defence cooperation pact

LETHALFORCE likes this.
  3. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

4. Tomcat

Tomcat Regular Member

India is cooking something i thing that the dragon wont like i guess

W.G.Ewald, LETHALFORCE and Tshering22 like this.
  5. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

Look East, so that China also looks east rather than giving nucs only to Pakistan. By the way nothing major . Thailand also has good relations with China and USA.

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Whatever for?

Why is the change of heart?

I thought Thailand under the new dispensation was looking North!

US' nudge?

7. Ray

Thailand has defence ties with the US.

8. Ray

Yet, this is significant a commentary

Anyone who can throw some light of the latest?

9. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

Wonder what happened... I mean the new female PM they have had was actually an ethnic Chinese..:lol:. Guess no one wants to be under the yoke Khmers and Laotians are right now. Even Burmese are fed up.

So this effectively leaves two slaves alive for China: Pakistan and North Korea. North Korea just may change because of the new Fat Kim that has come to power. मगर पाकिस्तान का कुछ नहीं हो सकता । :rofl:

Ray likes this.
  10. Ray

Thanks for the info about the PM being of Chinese descent.

I never knew that and it was an eyeopener and it made me do some studies.

I have increased my knowledge thanks to you!

Tshering22 likes this.
  11. Tshering22

It was pretty obvious. Her first name and her surname just don't go together. While many people find it hard to differentiate between Chinese and other eastern Asians (sometimes us NE Indians too, disappointingly), we can spot a Chinese easily. Know your enemy, remember? :p.

Shinawatra was a surname her family adopted only the previous generation to blend into Thai society.

Thailand has an interesting lineage of PMs. the previous PM Abhisit Vejjajiva'ss first name actually is what in India is Abhijeet.

12. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

well i have something very frustrating for you all.

on my way to bhopal from delhi, a lady mp was also in my compartment and another mp who was supposed to get off mid way was also with us only.
    the lady was in Indo-thailand friendship and trade committee to enhance trade and bring in better understanding among the people and govt of both the countries.
    and i feel shame on telling you all that they both just talked about the judicial powers they may get thru this committee and whom she may take with her on her trip to thailand.
    they do discussed about the meetings and ended up in less than a minute- meeting veeting karni hai wo hoti rahegi...thats all.

the other mp was in indo-malaysia committee and he proudly said i didnt attended one meeting in past two years rather there was no meeting in past two years.

i hope defence committee works fine and enhance indo-thai co-operation in defence

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  13. Tshering22

Bureaucracy is a curse to India. While British invented it, we have PHDed it. However, Defense and particularly IN is pretty fast about its work and hopefully we will have a working framework to guide the Indo-Thai military ties.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  14. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Typical of US politicians and bureaucrats as well. It is universal.