India tests N-capable Agni-I missile

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
I read somewhere it is the launcher which has the technical problem not the missile. Let me find the news article link.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of the Army had to postpone the first night user trial of surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-I reportedly due to a technical glitch in the launcher positioned at Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast.

Earlier, the Armed Forces had planned to test fire the missile in full operational configuration in between 7 pm to 8 pm. Accordingly, the missile was integrated with the launcher and countdown had begun. Defence sources said the countdown was stopped midway following a snag in the mobile launcher.

Tech Glitch:Agni-I Launch Postponed - The New Indian Express

makmohan

What Went Wrong with Agni-I Missile? | idrw.org

As per the article, The mobile launcher was the problem for tuesday test postponement, but again on next day they had found some problem with missle system itself due to Indian made INS:banghead:

After an abortive mission on Tuesday, the 700-km range missile was ready for the test from Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast on Wednesday evening. But the officials of the strategic forces command (SFC) were forced to put off the test for indefinite period reportedly due to some technical glitches in the missile system.
The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of the Army had to postpone the first night user trial of surface-to-surface nuclear capable ballistic missile Agni-I reportedly due to a technical glitch in the launcher positioned at Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast.

Earlier, the Armed Forces had planned to test fire the missile in full operational configuration in between 7 pm to 8 pm. Accordingly, the missile was integrated with the launcher and countdown had begun. Defence sources said the countdown was stopped midway following a snag in the mobile launcher.

Tech Glitch:Agni-I Launch Postponed - The New Indian Express

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
What Went Wrong with Agni-I Missile? - The New Indian Express

The test was considered 'very crucial' as it was supposed to give a technical push to the country's defence programme and prove the capability of launching the missile from any terrain anytime.

Defence sources said the snag was detected a few seconds prior to the take off. "The countdown was going on smoothly, but the system shut down 18 seconds prior to take off," said an official.

DRDO and Army authorities, however, declined to divulge the details about postponing the mission. "The test was deferred due to a technical snag. Work is on to rectify it and hopefully the test will be conducted soon," an official told this paper on condition of anonymity.

Defence experts claimed the missile system developed snags whenever an Indian INS was used on it. "It flies well with the Russian INS, but the Army has been insisting DRDO to use the Indian system and prove its reliability," they said.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
We got INS for A3,4 & 5 and it worked well so far, so why the INS has night blindness, plus it is contrary to earlier story by same person who said that glitch was on launcher.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
First he said problem in launcher, then he said INS had problem (Russians system is better the Indian) and now two more reasons for launch cancellation metallurgical faults triggered hydraulics problems :scared2:

Hydraulic Snags Led to Night Trial Failure of Agni-I Missile - The New Indian Express

Even as the defence authorities are tight-lipped on the reasons of the failure of surface-to-surface medium range ballistic missile Agni-I night trial, sources attributed it to metallurgical malfunction and snags in the hydraulic system.

Sources said after an abortive mission on February 18, the 700-km range missile was to be test-fired from Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast next evening. But the strategic forces command (SFC) was forced to postpone the test for indefinite period due to some technical glitches in the missile system.

Initially while it was learnt that the faults in 'not-up-to-the-mark' Indian inertial navigation system (INS) led to postponement of the first night user trial of the nuclear capable missile, a scientist associated with the mission pointed fingers at manufacturing faults in the missile.

Talking to 'The Express', he said manufacturing and metallurgical faults triggered hydraulics problems in the missile system thereby forcing the armed forces authorities to put off the trial only 18 seconds prior to the test schedule.

Hydraulics help open the wings and fins in the missile system. The wings and fins were not being opened that day. Sensing further trouble, the mission was postponed.

However, the scientists have been asked to rectify the faults and make the mission ready for trial within next one year.

"The armed forces would definitely not want to take further risk. The body of the missile has to be changed as the metallurgical malfunction could lead to another fiasco. Besides, the INS has also to be checked properly," he added.

Meanwhile, the team Akash is readying for another trial of the surface-to-air missile on Monday. After the trial, three more would be carried out in next couple of weeks. Sources informed that the armed forces were preparing to go for a fresh trial of 2000-km range ballistic missile Agni-II in March second week.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles