India tests Dhanush ballistic missile

Defcon 1

Country flag
Bhubaneswar: India on Friday tested its nuclear-capable ballistic missile Dhanush from a naval ship in the Bay of Bengal in Odisha, an official said.

The missile was fired from a naval ship somewhere between Puri and Visakhapatnam as part of the training exercise of the Indian Navy.

"The test was successful," Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) spokesperson Ravi Kumar Gupta told a news agency.

Dhanush is a naval version of the nuclear-capable ballistic missile Prithvi. It has a range of 350 km.

India tests Dhanush ballistic missile

I don't understand one thing. What is the point of testing dhanush now when we have already inducted Brahmos as the staple missile for the navy.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Dhanush and Brahms have different applications.

Dhanush's speed is around 15mach to Brahmos's 3 mach.
Dhanush's payload is 1 ton to Brahmos's 300kg
Brahmos can hit moving targets and Dhanush can pulverize any stationery target.

Brahms is a cruise missile and Dhanush ballistic

pankaj nema

Country flag
Brahmos is very expensive

It is better for High value targets ie precision attacks

But for saturation bombardment for example attacking the Naval bases and Ports
which are spread over several square KM you need multiple strikes

Hence we need Dhanush

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Brahmos is very expensive

It is better for High value targets ie precision attacks

But for saturation bombardment for example attacking the Naval bases and Ports
which are spread over several square KM you need multiple strikes

Hence we need Dhanush
But not all Ships can carry Dhanush, and you can't carry multiple Dhanush missiles.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Some targets for Dhanush

Pakistan Naval base PASNI / ORMARA / MEHRAN/

PORT QASIM / KARACHI HARBOUR

Defcon 1

Country flag
Wiki says that Dhanush is a surface to ship missile. So it will be mainly used for attacking ports. In addition the main problem with the missile are the logistical deficiencies due its using liquid fuel and its inability to be launched vertically. It will be interesting to see, if these shortcomings have been mitigated in the current test.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
But not all Ships can carry Dhanush, and you can't carry multiple Dhanush missiles.
I assume mounting it on launch platform or deck like we see in pictures might be a laborious time consuming process. I read somewhere that at times launching a SLBM needs cover from surface fleet so launching a SRBM/LRBM/IRBM from a ship must be a daunting vulnerable endeavour.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
imho this is not a really serious option for the moment but more of exploratory nature. This kind of stabilizing platform is also used by Israel ;)

Defcon 1

Country flag
I assume mounting it on launch platform or deck like we see in pictures might be a laborious time consuming process. I read somewhere that at times launching a SLBM needs cover from surface fleet so launching a SRBM/LRBM/IRBM from a ship must be a daunting vulnerable endeavour.
In case of a submarine, it has to come very near to the surface to launch a SLBM, which makes it visible to ships. Thats why it needs cover. There is no such complexity involved in case of launching from a ship, so I don't think it should present any problems.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Forgot a thing, this missile was tested by Strategic forces Command. This probably means it is basically being developed to become our ship launched nuclear capable missile. The other option, Brahmos, cannot carry a nuclear warhead.

sob

Mod
Country flag
[map]mumbai to karachi port[/map]

Nice target Karachi port, last time there was blockade, this time...................

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
for this missile lauch, ship needs modification, imagine Dhanush & brahmos is launch same time at AC.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
In case of a submarine, it has to come very near to the surface to launch a SLBM, which makes it visible to ships. Thats why it needs cover. There is no such complexity involved in case of launching from a ship, so I don't think it should present any problems.
thanks for the answer.

But not all SLBM need cover only those who have tail been monitored, compromised acoustic signature, short breaths for deep waters i.e. limited under water launch technology/pump. .

Subs of navies like China and ours may need the cover. The surface fleet cover (firing point defence rockets etc.) is a tactics to camouflage/hide the acoustic signature of typical BM launch not that it will be visible to enemy ships because it has to come out in open or very near to the surface.

However I would still prefer SLBM with surface fleet cover.

Mating an arsenal and pumping in the fuel takes time. And then you have to mount BM on launch pad unlike convenient road mobile launch BMs. I mean what i am trying to say is that InN should be capable to launch canisterised BM or silos launched BMs from ship. Present capabilities are good for small nations but for China or other top dogs its a vulnerable bet..

Country flag
This most likely is a stop gap measure until our SLBM's are ready K-15 and Agni.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
LF think like this once at sea oue enemy will have very had time thinking which IN ship can fire this missile, specially for Pak we can attack its far off port from our ship, so they dont have very many places to hide. This is good system i have seen how it works in model and from the looks of it, they have got more then more missile inside that ship. Dont forget we have tested lanch of this missile as target for BMD.

Patriot

Country flag
thanks for the answer.

But not all SLBM need cover only those who have tail been monitored, compromised acoustic signature, short breaths for deep waters i.e. limited under water launch technology/pump. .

Subs of navies like China and ours may need the cover. The surface fleet cover (firing point defence rockets etc.) is a tactics to camouflage/hide the acoustic signature of typical BM launch not that it will be visible to enemy ships because it has to come out in open or very near to the surface.

However I would still prefer SLBM with surface fleet cover.

Mating an arsenal and pumping in the fuel takes time. And then you have to mount BM on launch pad unlike convenient road mobile launch BMs. I mean what i am trying to say is that InN should be capable to launch canisterised BM or silos launched BMs from ship. Present capabilities are good for small nations but for China or other top dogs its a vulnerable bet..
IMHO a liquid fuel BM is very difficult canisterised. Now we should develop solid fuel based Dhanush version. In today's modern warfare, every minute counts when opportunity to attack or defend arises.

In any situation submarine should to be self sufficient to attack with BM & escape, as giving it cover will engage too many naval assets meant for other role.

Defcon 1

Country flag
This most likely is a stop gap measure until our SLBM's are ready K-15 and Agni.
Arihant is 18 months away from commissioning. Dhanush cannot be made operational in such a short time. In my opinion, unless they are trying to move from liquid to solid fuel, this test could as well be a waste.

Country flag
Arihant is 18 months away from commissioning. Dhanush cannot be made operational in such a short time. In my opinion, unless they are trying to move from liquid to solid fuel, this test could as well be a waste.
There is a psychological aspect to this; getting hit by a ballistic missile is many times
worst coming at you at Mach 15 than a cruise missile it guarantees collateral damage at unacceptable
levels for anyone in their right mind.

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag
There is a psychological aspect to this; getting hit by a ballistic missile is many times
worst coming at you at Mach 15 than a cruise missile it guarantees collateral damage at unacceptable
levels for anyone in their right mind.
The same collateral damage also means that our timid government will be much more comfortable in using a cruise missile at pakistan rather than a far more destructive ballistic missile. So, this factor will also benefit Brahmos.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles