India successfully test fires nuclear capable Dhanush missile

Country flag
When asked by a US admiral for a demonstration it was refused to be even shown to
The Admiral .like most chines weapon claims mostly hot air and propaganda
Taken from the communist playbook .

Other. Examples of Chinese propaganda
Fake space walk
Destroying a weather satellite in LEO orbit
Faking SLBM success
Claiming a stealth fighter

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Owe you one Sir. But I don't understand one thing. Fin stablizer is a common component for naval ships. What does it has to do with the Dhanush missile?
you need stable sea to launch Dhanush missile, if the ship move while you are about to launch missile. You need to see how it is launch to understand what i am saying. I will try to explain.

Missile is kept inside the hanger compartment of the ship you can see the hanger shutter open on the right side.

their is rail system which brings it to launch point on the ship. You can see the rail type structure here

then missile is raised to 90 degree. (remember missile is needed to he still and all this time fins come to picture to stablise the ship)

Fins pic i posted at on the left and right side of the ship to stablize it when missile is launch.

pmaitra

(remember missile is needed to he still and all this time fins come to picture to stablise the ship)
Mr. Sayare, I think I agree with @Defcon 1. The fins have nothing to do with the ship. They are there to stabilize the missile, not the ship. (I guess that is what you meant?)

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

There is a vast difference in CEP of prithvi and DF 21. DF 21 is a propaganda tool
Effectiveness is doubtful at range claimed.
I am not trying to be the devil's advocate here; just throwing caution in the winds. DF-21 is solid-fuelled while Dhanush is liquid-fuelled. On that part, Dhanush is saddled with a drawback.

I also think, from the pictures by @sayareakd, our missiles should be placed in silos inside the hull of the ship, instead of having to draw them out from the hangar on a rail-based system prior to launching.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Mr. Sayare, I think I agree with @Defcon 1. The fins have nothing to do with the ship. They are there to stabilize the missile, not the ship. (I guess that is what you meant?)
sir first ship will be stable only the missile can be taken out of hanger and launched.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Gyros are used for stabilizing Ships afaik. Fins to stabilize Projectiles.

pmaitra

sir first ship will be stable only the missile can be taken out of hanger and launched.
Right. The ship has to be stable, and then, once the missile is launched, the fins will stabilize the missile.

pmaitra

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I am not trying to be the devil's advocate here; just throwing caution in the winds. DF-21 is solid-fuelled while Dhanush is liquid-fuelled. On that part, Dhanush is saddled with a drawback.

I also think, from the pictures by @sayareakd, our missiles should be placed in silos inside the hull of the ship, instead of having to draw them out from the hangar on a rail-based system prior to launching.
They are Prithvi era relics. That time we dont have cold launch tech which is develop for K15. So till such time ATV comes online this was desi jugad tech for SFC. Plus added diamention of having nukes over the sea.

now that K15 and Shaurya are mastered L&T universal launcher can be used for land/ship attack and BMD on ship.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Right. The ship has to be stable, and then, once the missile is launched, the fins will stabilize the missile.
Sir it appears that you mis understood the post. L&T modified ship with placing two fins to stablised the ship as told and explain by L&T guy on working model.

pmaitra

Sir it appears that you mis understood the post. L&T modified ship with placing two fins to stablised the ship as told and explain by L&T guy on working model.
Yes, I did. I thought you were talking about the fins of the missile. Now I see you were talking about the fins of the ship. :)

Sorry about that.

pmaitra

They are Prithvi era relics. That time we dont have cold launch tech which is develop for K15. So till such time ATV comes online this was desi jugad tech for SFC. Plus added diamention of having nukes over the sea.

now that K15 and Shaurya are mastered L&T universal launcher can be used for land/ship attack and BMD on ship.
That brings to my mind the question of a liquid-fuelled motor. If the motor is gimballed, it will be able to perform thrust-vectoring. Gimballing is easy in liquid-fuelled motors. In solid-fuelled motors, it is difficult. Therefore, liquid-fuelled missiles will be more controllable and maneouverable by virtue of thrust-vectoring while solid-fuelled missiles will have to purely rely on the fins.

DivineHeretic

Country flag

Was it ever really meant for the SFC? I have my doubts on that.

My bet is it is an experimental missile system, or rather a missile system developed to understand the complexities of ship launched ballistic missile. In a sense, this was the foundation of our sub launched ballistic missile series.

The fact that no major surface combatants carry this missile lends credibility to the theory that this was and will be an experimental missile rather than a part of SFC arsenal as a credible 2nd strike platform.

pmaitra

I think India should start producing a dedicated missile frigate/cruiser concept, like the Russian Slava Class ships.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
I think India should start producing a dedicated missile frigate/cruiser concept, like the Russian Slava Class ships.
That would be nice to have. But with the mammoth expansion already underway in the Navy, I doubt there will be funds for such a platform. What we could do, like the USN, is to get the P15Bs and P17As to carry triple or quadruple the number of VLS launchers.

I'd very much prefer the P17A to carry anywhere between 24-32 VLS launchers up from the current 8(? or 16). The P15B could carry as many as 48 with proper redesign, providing us a very capable Land attack and that too at a cheaper rate than going for a dedicated new ship class

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Was it ever really meant for the SFC? I have my doubts on that.

My bet is it is an experimental missile system, or rather a missile system developed to understand the complexities of ship launched ballistic missile. In a sense, this was the foundation of our sub launched ballistic missile series.

The fact that no major surface combatants carry this missile lends credibility to the theory that this was and will be an experimental missile rather than a part of SFC arsenal as a credible 2nd strike platform.
Drdo video says it is part of our nuke arm. I am on mobile or i would have posted the video.That video show K15 underwater launch. If you searched in K15 thread you will find it.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I would prefer missile boat with vertical universal launcher 8x5x2 for ready to launch at front and back.

since launcher and missile is used and throw (made by L&T). Some missile canisters in reserve.

Country flag

Liquid fuelled missiles offer better control over the missile traditionally bigger missiles
Like DF 21 are solid fuelled to make claim that the missile can strike ships at 500km without
The control of a liquid fuelled missile is absurd. Minutemen and peacekeepers both have
A liquid stage to improve CEP.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Maybe we can buy the unfinished Slava Class "Ukrayina" which is currently moored unfinished in Mykolaiv, Ukraine. According to Ukrainian sources the Cruiser needs 30 million dollars to be finished.

Maybe we can take the Gorshkov/Vikramaditya route with this one...

Once we have this, maybe we can build our own, like IAC.

Would be great as dedicated AD and offence ship accompanied by a couple each of LHDs, destroyers, frigates and AIP-SSKs. This could be a dedicated Naval Strike Group.

[map]https://maps.google.com/maps?&hl=en&ll=46.975359,32.003606&spn=0.001684,0.004128&t=h&z=18[/map]

Last edited:

pmaitra

Maybe we can buy the unfinished Slava Class "Ukrayina" which is currently moored unfinished in Mykolaiv, Ukraine. According to Ukrainian sources the Cruiser needs 30 million dollars to be finished.

Maybe we can take the Gorshkov/Vikramaditya route with this one...

Once we have this, maybe we can build our own, like IAC.

Would be great as dedicated AD and offence ship accompanied by a couple each of LHDs, destroyers, frigates and AIP-SSKs. This could be a dedicated Naval Strike Group.

[map]https://maps.google.com/maps?&hl=en&ll=46.975359,32.003606&spn=0.001684,0.004128&t=h&z=18[/map]
Or we can buy it as is for junk price and then use it as a model for development of our own designs.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles