India studying NATO offer on joining missile programme

Should India join NATO missile shield or not?

• Yes India should join

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • No India should not join

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Funny part is Indian govt missed you memo on it...
Has GOI accepted offer? Does the BMD assistance from NATO include X-band tech? Why this offer when desi BMD is on verge of completion? How does India saves billions on this offer?

Why you shying away from questions all the time? Or I should just consider fun part & ignore any logic whatsoever?

SPIEZ

Country flag
Nobody's thinkin like that here. In fact i for 1 feel India should Anti-missile develop along with NATO. It ll make our work easier and bring us on page with current developments in the Anti-missile sphere

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
See - this forum fortunately is not the Indian govt.

Smart thinking says: Hmm, tons of countries under NATO shield, even the arch rival Russia has signed on!" -- There can't be any more proof of how comprehensive and effective the shield is- certainly US did not hoodwink over what 60/80 countries? Perhaps we should take a look at it- could save us money and we could work on our shield if need be too...

Forum posters thinking is " Hmm US / NATO wtf US/ NATO! we have 100 times better, we are smarter than sum total of those countries strategic thinking! US NATO- what if turn it off? "
No. We've independent military doctrine & have long history of non-alliance. Russia joining missile shield is no critical point for India to jump into wagon.

JayATL

Has GOI accepted offer? Does the BMD assistance from NATO include X-band tech? Why this offer when desi BMD is on verge of completion? How does India saves billions on this offer?

Why you shying away from questions all the time? Or I should just consider fun part & ignore any logic whatsoever?
I have replied to the questions many times( go read all my replies) , the only one I have not replied to is the X band question. I would ask are other NATO shield signatories getting it? There lies your answer...its going to be same I presume. Its a question for the Indian govt. to ask .

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I have replied to the questions many times( go read all my replies) , the only one I have not replied to is the X band question. I would ask are other NATO shield signatories getting it? There lies your answer...its going to be same I presume. Its a question for the Indian govt. to ask .
Other NATO signatory not getting X-band doesnt mean India shouldn't get it too. India represents tremendous geographical advantage which NATO dreaming to grab to put their strategic interests.

Indians will have their x-band in place inshallah very soon.

Western offers knock indian doors when desi programs are on verge of success & are waiting production orders. Nice attempt to undermine indigenous industry. But not anymore.

JayATL

Other NATO signatory not getting X-band doesnt mean India shouldn't get it too. India represents tremendous geographical advantage which NATO dreaming to grab to put their strategic interests.

Western offers knock indian doors when desi programs are on verge of success & are waiting production orders. Nice attempt to undermine indigenous industry. But not anymore.
I like your spunk but its more of making lofty speeches than reality based. Inshallah India becomes the sole superpower ( lofty -yes, reality based - no) - get it got it. I'm done with western conspricy against the mighty BMD :)

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I like your spunk but its more of making lofty speeches than reality based. Inshallah India becomes the sole superpower ( lofty -yes, reality based - no) - get it got it. I'm done with western conspricy against the mighty BMD :)
You can not stick to topic?

What you like or hate about me is irrelevant.

I see you are always done with this & that.

You can not talk on below points.

nrj said:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
NATO? Didn't they just deny it? Rassmussen was all over the media screaming "We haven't considered anything like that". I don't think we must get involved with a dying military power that is only looking for someone to share the burden. The organization is a liability barring US and UK.

JayATL

You can not stick to topic?

What you like or hate about me is irrelevant.

I see you are always done with this & that.

You can not talk on below points.
Because you keep bringing in assumptions not based on any reality. You are bringing some conspiracy behind the offer. How do you expect anyone to address a "made up "conspiracy? That's like me saying "Oh why is India even considering it, if as you claim its BMD is simply awesome?" Must be a conspiracy by Indian govt to undermine DRDO!
Is as silly as that...

You are then stuck on X band issue I have made clear. Ask you govt to ask about it. I don't know, do you know? - Why keep harping on something as X band when I made it clear. If everyone gets it so will India. If it don't ask your govt to ask for it. Getting mired in technical specs without absolute direct knowledge of what's on the offer is asinine... what if X band is included, will you get off your conspriracy theory then?

JayATL

NATO? Didn't they just deny it? Rassmussen was all over the media screaming "We haven't considered anything like that". I don't think we must get involved with a dying military power that is only looking for someone to share the burden. The organization is a liability barring US and UK.
and who developed the Shield technology?

agentperry

with no sense country is buying, making and applying defence equipments. either go for domestic or go with foreign thing. the ultimate need that a country have is to place an independent and autonomous effective weapon on field.
india can collaborate on many fronts but having their stuff and undermining years of research is crap.

either we dont know what is being cooked behind closed doors of MoD and are they anticipating an attack by enemy before Indian system is put on ground or the success put up by drdo are too less or fake, testing missile chield so many times and mostly with success is a good feet and shouldnt go down the drain. it will hurt drdo scientists the most. they will definitely think that they work or they dont it wont put any result on board. already in case of tejas they have commitment for 123 jets. while India is ready to procure 126 foreign made jets and already en route to have 270 sukhois. this is big time disappointing.

this missile shield will not lower but kill scientists moral and will take away many brains out of drdo and nation to those countries only where they will come out with new products that India will eventually buy at extortion cost.

JayATL

with no sense country is buying, making and applying defence equipments. either go for domestic or go with foreign thing. the ultimate need that a country have is to place an independent and autonomous effective weapon on field.
india can collaborate on many fronts but having their stuff and undermining years of research is crap.

either we dont know what is being cooked behind closed doors of MoD and are they anticipating an attack by enemy before Indian system is put on ground or the success put up by drdo are too less or fake, testing missile chield so many times and mostly with success is a good feet and shouldnt go down the drain. it will hurt drdo scientists the most. they will definitely think that they work or they dont it wont put any result on board. already in case of tejas they have commitment for 123 jets. while India is ready to procure 126 foreign made jets and already en route to have 270 sukhois. this is big time disappointing.

this missile shield will not lower but kill scientists moral and will take away many brains out of drdo and nation to those countries only where they will come out with new products that India will eventually buy at extortion cost.
so israelis lost all hope , killed the morale of its scientist, their scientist ran off to other countries- when they are a part of the shield too? I seem to remember it freed up resources to work on David's sling, spyder, Iron dome ( ? was it)

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Because you keep bringing in assumptions not based on any reality. You are bringing some conspiracy behind the offer. How do you expect anyone to address a "made up "conspiracy? That's like me saying "Oh why is India even considering it, if as you claim its BMD is simply awesome?" Must be a conspiracy by Indian govt to undermine DRDO!
Is as silly as that...

You are then stuck on X band issue I have made clear. Ask you govt to ask about it. I don't know, do you know? - Why keep harping on something as X band when I made it clear. If everyone gets it so will India. If it don't ask your govt to ask for it. Getting mired in technical specs without absolute direct knowledge of what's on the offer is asinine... what if X band is included, will you get off your conspriracy theory then?
So far NATO & Govt has not declared if X-band tech is included. It is that & without x-band tech offer stands with very less virtue.

What you've not made clear is

• Why should India join NATO shield because even Russia is getting it?
  • When NATO BMD is unrelaibale against MIRV, why not stick to BMD & develop it further?
  • How India saves TRILLIONS & not loose twice the amount for same thing?
And for public opinion, lets have poll here. You'll come to know.

(Considering no details of offer are public :D)

agentperry

so israelis lost all hope , killed the morale of its scientist, their scientist ran off to other countries- when they are a part of the shield too? I seem to remember it freed up resources to work on David's sling, spyder, Iron dome ( ? was it)
their decisions were economic. they gave up projects which were consuming lots of resources. israel's case is entirely different from India's. they dont have any attack helo project, they suspended lavi, they made many of the systems which werent put on ground or with limited no. but they surely got hell lot of orders for that. when we have tech to offer mildly affected/threatened countries then why dumping the project as a whole.
its not an economic decision! its a kind of strategic one with just allowing west to put in eggs and resources in India so that engagement can go on or can at least be started. its just like a new member of club spending heavily to earn some good friends or to build up an association with other fellow members. in case of israel its a brainy member who give and take with respective members when time arises- no faltu jhanjhat.

JayATL

So far NATO & Govt has not declared if X-band tech is included. It is that & without x-band tech offer stands with very less virtue.

What you've not made clear is

• Why should India join NATO shield because even Russia is getting it?
  • When NATO BMD is unrelaibale against MIRV, why not stick to BMD & develop it further?
  • How India saves TRILLIONS & not loose twice the amount for same thing?
And for public opinion, lets have poll here. You'll come to know.

(Considering no details of offer are public :D)
if you refuse to read my replies to the questions previously among my posts here- and keep asking to me feed it to you-- thats your laziness not my avoidance. You can have all the polls you want but your govt 's decision is what matters... and right now it is under consideration. You assume also that russsain claim against MIRV is solid and not just some political statement.... and even if its true - whats your BMD at vs that missile? vs NATO's .. do you know for sure?.

why is india asking for david sling , iron dome and tot from Isreal ? why if your tech is so advanced , why then are they asking for it?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
if you refuse to read my replies to the questions previously among my posts here- and keep asking to me feed it to you-- thats your laziness not my avoidance. You can have all the polls you want but your govt 's decision is what matters... and right now it is under consideration. You assume also that russsain claim against MIRV is solid and not just some political statement.... and even if its true - whats your BMD at vs that missile? vs NATO's .. do you know for sure?.

why is india asking for david sling , iron dome and tot from Isreal ? why if your tech is so advanced , why then are they asking for it?
Thank you for replying in detail about every question. We are enlightened.

Everyone,
listen up India is going to save TRILLIONS of USD while joining NATO shield! :D

This was sarcasm

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Thank you for replying in detail about every question. We are enlightened.

Everyone,
listen up India is going to save TRILLIONS of USD while joining NATO shield! :D

This was sarcasm
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

When did BMD programs cost Trillions?? May be in JayATL's creative mind.

SpArK

SORCERER
NATO's missile defence offer to India: Nothing to lose

Given the growing threat of ballistic missiles, the country could use the opportunity to develop its nascent shield programme.

Last month, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation or Nato invited India to become a partner in its missile defence programme, identifying the technology of missile defence as an area for co-operation.

Both Nato and India face similar ballistic missile threats. There has been steady growth in the range and accuracy of ballistic missiles on the perimeter of Nato as well Indian borders. Measures such as export controls, devised under the Missile Technology Control Regime, have not prevented these programmes from maturing even as arms control efforts have failed. As a result, both Nato and India have resorted to missile defence to address the challenges posed by missile proliferation. In November 2010 at the Lisbon summit, Nato adopted its new strategic concept called "Active Engagement, Modern Defence". It outlined the Alliance's approach to emerging security challenges. The document underscores the commitment to defend Nato members' populations and territories against ballistic missile threats. Missile defence is critical to realising this commitment.

On a technical level, the "phased adapted approach" introduced by the Obama Administration in September 2009 appears to be central to Nato's missile defence architecture. This approach aims at protecting the US and its European allies in the short term while working on a comprehensive missile defence programme in the long run. This policy, in principle, provides a number of benefits: increased participation from member states, reduced costs, improved transatlantic ties and infrastructure sharing. However, it poses a number of questions including identifying external threat, encouraging active co-operation with Russia, debating how best the US missile defence plans can be integrated into Nato's own plans, and identifying a configuration that would contribute to the indivisible security of the alliance.

Though missile defence may be short of a technical reality, the political reality is certain and will prove decisive. For most European Nato members, this would be an interesting debate on two critical issues: how best to engage Russia and differing perceptions about the Iranian and Syrian missile threat and how best to counter them. Co-operation in the technical realms of missile defence could become a bone of contention. This is especially true for France; the debate there is about the impact on European co-operation in technology development and the defence industrial impact of adopting what is essentially a US system.

The latest Nato offer to India should be viewed in a broader light. For India, this is a very interesting proposition and worth serious consideration. India could leverage its position to bargain for more missile defence technologies to aid its nascent missile defence programme.

In one of its swiftest diplomatic moves ever, within hours of the US declaration in 2004 that it intends to pursue its plans to deploy the first phase of ballistic missile defence, India became one of the few nations in the world to extend support to the new security architecture being proposed by the US.

India hailed the US proposals for deep cuts in nuclear arsenal and building missile defence as a significant and far-reaching effort to move away from the adversarial legacy of the Cold War. India went on to say that it believed "there is a strategic and technological inevitability in stepping away from a world that is held hostage by the doctrine of Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) to a co-operative, defensive transition that is underpinned by further cuts and a de-alert of nuclear forces". But India's position drew much opposition from the left, right and centre of Indian politics and strategic circles.

While India's engagement with the US on missile defence came to reflect, for some, both an example of, and a means towards, enhancing US-India rapprochement, that was precisely the problem for others. India decided to take a solitary route and announced its own missile defence test for the first time in November 2006. V K Saraswat, who is leading India's indigenous ballistic missile defence programme, has suggested that by late 2011, India would have the capability to intercept 2,000-km range ballistic missiles, a claim questioned by some.

Given that China continues to target its missiles against India as well as growing instability in Pakistan, the importance of missile defence will continue to grow for India. Indian security interests demand that India take missile defence seriously and for this it will have to collaborate with others on this high-technology front. It should give Nato's proposal serious thought. Russia has been one of the strongest opponents of Nato's missile defence programme for Europe, but now Nato is working with Russia to dispel its misgivings and has formed the Nato-Russia Council, which meets every month and briefs Russia about the missile defence project. If Russia can work with Nato on missile defence despite the Cold War baggage, there is no reason for India to ignore the offer.

To begin with, co-operation is likely to be merely symbolic. It is not clear what parameters are being envisaged by Nato for co-operation with India. It is also not readily evident what India brings to the table — technically, there is not much India can offer. Politically, it's merely symbolic, at least at this juncture. Symbolism, however, matters. Indian security demands that New Delhi examine this issue dispassionately rather than getting swayed by those fighting old-style ideological battles. As the major powers reduce their nuclear arsenal, missile defence will become increasingly rational. Ultimately, technology, rather than arms control considerations, will determine whether it will be fully deployed or not. India would not like to be left behind in this technological race and the politics of missile defence in India is bound to become more interesting in the future.

NATO's missile defence offer to India: Nothing to lose

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles