India starts design on New Aircraft Carrier

bhramos

Country flag
While INS Vikrant will be delivered late, India starts design work on much larger, 65,000 tons, carrier

While INS Vikrant will be delivered late, India starts design work on much larger CV

Indian Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma announced the nation's first indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC) INS Vikrant will not be ready until 2017, three years later than the planned schedule. However The New Indian Express daily reports that design work on the much larger aircraft carrier INS Vishal has already started.

"There were problems in manufacturing the gear box, which involves complex technology. The truck bringing generators overturned near Pune last year, further delaying the schedule," Indian Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma explained.

While INS Vikrant will be delivered late, India starts design work on much larger, 65,000 tons, carrier

agentperry

Re: While INS Vikrant will be delivered late, India starts design on n

how ridiculous, TRUCK bring generator overturned. first of all generators for such a project is being carried by such good for nothing transporters. is navy so dumb not to have any transportation and logistic cell or railway is not a good option for carrying such highly sensitive generators with safety

Decklander

how ridiculous, TRUCK bring generator overturned. first of all generators for such a project is being carried by such good for nothing transporters. is navy so dumb not to have any transportation and logistic cell or railway is not a good option for carrying such highly sensitive generators with safety
Navy is not stupid. It was the responsibility of the manufaturer to deliver it in Kochi. he chose that mode of transportation to save money but now he will have to pay heavy damages for delay plus repair the damaged gearbox free of cost. maybe the russians bribed that truck driver to do that act.

pmaitra

Nothing wrong with transporting by truck. The problem is with the roads, and motorists' poor driving skills, that lead to such mishaps. Truck drivers are normally good drivers. I hope the truck driver and spotter are safe.

Decklander

Nothing wrong with transporting by truck. The problem is with the roads, and motorists' poor driving skills, that lead to such mishaps. Truck drivers are normally good drivers. I hope the truck driver and spotter are safe.
Normally a whole recce of the raod is done and problems identified with solutions. The shipment of such cargo comes under special oversized cargo. And the cost involved is in lakhs. How it overturned even than is shocking. Problems like design load of culverts/bridges/hightension wires/overhang etc are all detailed before such a cargo moves on a road and solutions are identified.
However I am shocked that aguy from Gujrat decided to transport it by road, he cud have easily loaded it on to a pontoon and towed it to Kochi. Maybe he did not trust the sea route for waves that much as he trusted the road.

p2prada

Navy is not stupid. It was the responsibility of the manufaturer to deliver it in Kochi. he chose that mode of transportation to save money but now he will have to pay heavy damages for delay plus repair the damaged gearbox free of cost. maybe the russians bribed that truck driver to do that act.
Maybe the British did it. Then they will sell the second Elizabeth class to us after Vikrant is delayed. :p

natarajan

If it is true ,then nothing to worry as this design is not good and we can hope for better official one

bhramos

Country flag
If it is true ,then nothing to worry as this design is not good and we can hope for better official one
this design was never official, it going rounds on net, and seen in Porky forum by so posted it.....

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The link to the article does not contain the photo in the first post.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The truck bringing generators overturned near Pune last year, further delaying the schedule...
Was that incident investigated?

Joji

yar DRDO plz first build at least one completely that can be accepted by Navy..

StealthSniper

I am happy that they are doing things more in house but their are just to many delays. We have the INS Vikramaditya delayed and now our INS Vikrant will be delayed. And I have a feeling we won't be getting it before 2019. I don't know how the Navy will keep INS Viraat operating with full operational capability till then.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I am happy that they are doing things more in house but their are just to many delays. We have the INS Vikramaditya delayed and now our INS Vikrant will be delayed. And I have a feeling we won't be getting it before 2019. I don't know how the Navy will keep INS Viraat operating with full operational capability till then.
i too share your happiness at seeing more things being attempted in-house ......the delays are inevitable as a system learning - but let's pray that it is because of the learning curve and not for reasons which are there to stay eg someone corrupt in the system

if it is due to learning curve , then good news , all need to learn and the second time around it will be much better

btw thanks to admin for removing some of the posts - appreciate not having to see the inappropriate stuff .

Last edited:

p2prada

Was that incident investigated?
Trucks being involved in accidents on highways is very, very, very common in India. As a matter of fact I have never been on the highway without seeing a truck overturned by the side of the road. Trucks are too fast or speeding, roads are very poor (with stray and wild animals practically living on 'em), drivers are overworked, high or drunk.

I have even seen village kids play this game where they bet on crossing the road, in front of a speeding vehicle, without being hit for as little as 1 Rupee. They wait for a vehicle to cross a certain point, like a tree, and the game begins. Yeah, people have died and cars and trucks have been burnt in the process by angry villagers. Had first hand view of the same when I was in the driver seat, luckily I was slow enough to stop.

India leads world in road deaths: WHO - Times Of India

This was most probably a freak accident. The gear box is not so crucial that somebody would try to sabotage it during delivery, it was the design of the gearbox that caused problems. Even if the gearbox was damaged, they could build a new one at a much faster rate and wouldn't force cancellation of the ship, rather, merely delay it, like the case today. If waiting for Gorky took 4 years, an indigenous ship design being delayed by 5 or 6 wouldn't be as big a problem.

yar DRDO plz first build at least one completely that can be accepted by Navy..
:dude:

DRDO?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That is a true and concerning, If this continue we might have to buy small number of F-35B marine version to replace harriers.

I don't know how the Navy will keep INS Viraat operating with full operational capability till then.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Trucks being involved in accidents on highways is very, very, very common in India. As a matter of fact I have never been on the highway without seeing a truck overturned by the side of the road. Trucks are too fast or speeding, roads are very poor (with stray and wild animals practically living on 'em), drivers are overworked, high or drunk.

I have even seen village kids play this game where they bet on crossing the road, in front of a speeding vehicle, without being hit for as little as 1 Rupee. They wait for a vehicle to cross a certain point, like a tree, and the game begins. Yeah, people have died and cars and trucks have been burnt in the process by angry villagers. Had first hand view of the same when I was in the driver seat, luckily I was slow enough to stop.

India leads world in road deaths: WHO - Times Of India

This was most probably a freak accident. The gear box is not so crucial that somebody would try to sabotage it during delivery, it was the design of the gearbox that caused problems. Even if the gearbox was damaged, they could build a new one at a much faster rate and wouldn't force cancellation of the ship, rather, merely delay it, like the case today. If waiting for Gorky took 4 years, an indigenous ship design being delayed by 5 or 6 wouldn't be as big a problem.
:dude:DRDO?
YOU WOUL DKNOW WHAT youre talking about

all the same - i find it incomprehensible - why would kids want to do that - it cant be education or the lack of it ? becos elsewhere in asia eg indonesia with less education that doesnt happen

secondly the condition of the roads ?????? .....where was that roads minister who is building 10 km a day

someone help us undertand or tell us more .......almost incredible - but we believe your report

agentperry

one can not say that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to arrange for the transportation. the buyer also have say in it specially when equipment is so critical and sensitive. moreover truck transportation is also not so cheap. ntpc rihand nagar bought generator from calcutta via truck and it cost them 4 crore rupees. so i think this could be equally big contract. railways is thus preferred because of safety and cost and not the trucks.

agentperry

If I was India I would consider buying one of the older US nuclear powered carriers.
india doesnt need 100000 tonne aircraft carrier. and this is the first time india is going for new aircraft carrier. till now indian navy bought ex-british aircraft carrier. this time india is making one on its own and getting one ex-soviet aircraft carrier to boost its airpower. but remeber these are just 40000 tonne AC as against 2.5 times bigger american AC.
moreover indias area of interest its Indian ocean only and not entire big big pacific or atlantic. smaller ACs are more than sufficient. moreover they will be used to enforce blockade and bomb pakistan.

one added advantage is longer life in same amount of money.(100000 tonne old american AC with more than required equipments against 40000 tonne AC)

p2prada

YOU WOUL DKNOW WHAT youre talking about

all the same - i find it incomprehensible - why would kids want to do that - it cant be education or the lack of it ? becos elsewhere in asia eg indonesia with less education that doesnt happen
Why is it not incomprehensible? People have died doing it.

Nothing to do with education. They are just trying to be ballsy. I suppose it's a guy thing. I don't see girls doing even simple stunts compared to all the high risk daredevil acts guys do. Incomprehensible?

Heard of Bullfighting? Education required here?

Alain Robert.

Well, I suppose I still don't know what I am talking about.

secondly the condition of the roads ?????? .....where was that roads minister who is building 10 km a day
They build it, but not maintain it. Apart from that, he is only talking about major highways with tollbooths and fencing, not regular two lane highways that criss cross the country and form bulk of our highway network.

someone help us undertand or tell us more .......almost incredible - but we believe your report
You are entitled to believe anything you want.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles