India should have nuclear attack submarines: France

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Is India planning to modify what design comes out of the ATV project to get an attack sub, as far as I am aware the ATV (what vessel comes from the program) is going to be an SSBN.
From what little information i have seen in media (India Today had a report on it), this vessel seems to be a tech. demonstrator with 4 vertical launch tubes capable of carrying 4X4 short ranged or 4 long range ballistic missiles (the short ranged missiles for the initial tests).

The operational SSBN will probably have a much larger number of vertical launch tubes/long range ballistic missiles (otherwise it seems like a waste of a money and resources).

As a modification of what seems to be the current ATV design SSN will benefit from the current design (VLS for cruise missiles).

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Obviously we should have nuclear attack submarines!
What kind of revelation is France trying to bring forth ?

I don't think we have been very secretive about our desire of a nuclear attack submarine fleet.
The commander of the French Joint Forces in the Indian Ocean, Vice Admiral Gerard Valin, said India's military assets had to develop to reflect its position as a key world player, including in maintaining world stability.

Asked if that meant having nuclear attack submarines, he told reporters in Mumbai: "For me it's legitimate."
Well if some one is going to ask him that question then this would be the right answer.

I think the question came up during while he was addressing the press about the anti-submarine exercises.

Indian military buildup will not be views by most nations in the world as aggressive/threatening, even in the neighbourhood its only a few nations that will think of it as threatening.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
Is India planning to modify what design comes out of the ATV project to get an attack sub, as far as I am aware the ATV (what vessel comes from the program) is going to be an SSBN.

The ATV will be a good stepping stone for India, I am sure our boys have gotten a lot of experience by building it. I am not sure what the exact specifications are but due to its smaller size(compared to other SSBNS) the atv will be able to dive deeper and such. So, a boat that has roughly the size of the ATV will not only be able to dive deep(the bigger a boat, the more the air bubble that forms in it when it dives thereby increasing pressure) but will also have long legs due to its nuclear propulsion. This would give us a very decisive advantage in tracking and keeping tabs on Chinese SSBN'S.

However, putting blind patriotism aside, India is probably still one decade away form making a top of the line world class Nuclear powered attack sub.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
As far as ATV-I is concern it is TD, that mean DRDO and IN will do all the tests on ATV, but i have feeling that half of missile launch tubes, would be made ready in case of emergency at movements notice.

As far as SSBN is concern we dont need that class of Sub, what we need is new class of sub, which can do duel role of SSBN and SSN. which means some thing in between the hunter and boomer class, sub which can carry Agni-III/K-15 as well as torpedo
to hunt down SSBN and other subs. This is strictly as per our requirement and economic budget.

France is Civilian Nuclear power leader, it has 40% of its energy requirement meet through nuclear power. Therefore it is natural that we should get some sort of nuclear tech civil and defence from france.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
singh sahab see I was telling you now chandra also confirms that

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles