India says UNSC should have 25 members

ejazr

Ambassador
India says UNSC should have 25 members | Firstpost

United Nations: India has said the 15-nation UN Security Council should be expanded to include about 10 more members, cautioning that delay in reforming the powerful world body will be at the international community's "own peril".

Participating in the 8th round of intergovernmental negotiations on UN Security Council reforms here, India's Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri said India is of the view that reform and expansion of the Security Council are essential if it is to reflect contemporary reality.

A reformed UNSC, with expansion in the permanent and non-permanent categories, will enhance the Council's credibility and effectiveness in dealing with global issues.

"We delay reform of the Security Council at our own peril"¦Early reform of the Council must be pursued with renewed vigour and urgently enacted," Puri said yesterday.

Puri outlined India's view that an expanded Council should have a total of 25-26 members.

He said structural reform of the Council should respond to the pressing need for credible improvements in the global governance architecture. "The clamour for such change is increasing by the day. Even as we speak concrete developments are being witnessed in other international institutions such as the IMF, World Bank," he said.

There is emerging consensus that reform will be complete only when the question of the veto in all its aspects and manifestations is comprehensively addressed, he added.

Noting that considerable time has already been spent in exchanging views on how and when to start real negotiations, Puri said deliberations so far have shown that a large majority of the UN membership wants expansion of the Council in both the permanent and non-permanent categories.

sob

Mod
Country flag
What is the use of 25 members. As long as the veto is with P 5, SC can have as many or as few as members as possible, it does not make a difference.

SLASH

What is the use of 25 members. As long as the veto is with P 5, SC can have as many or as few as members as possible, it does not make a difference.
Atleast than more nation will be able to voice their opinions about global issues. One step at a time.

amoy

Tell me who shall be enrolled in the 25 elite club apart from India and P5

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tell me who shall be enrolled in the 25 elite club apart from India and P5
G4 has to get permanent seats. Rest are all fill in the numbers as they are right now.

LalTopi

Its the P5 that needs to be reformed more than the whole Security Council. India needs to assert (i.e. not just ask nicely) its rightful place and France and Britain's memberships need to merged into one EU vote.

panduranghari

UNSC is outdated as barter economy. How should the reformed council look like? No veto. No permanent membership. ???

pmaitra

I am not really too bothered about the size of the UNSC. All I care about is that since India is 1/6th of humanity, it should have the veto.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I don't have a problem with it if you do away with vetos and base the council on military contribution.

trackwhack

what credibility does the UNSC have when UK and France are two of the 5 members. They never agree on anything anyway, someone or the other keeps vetoing every proposal.

sukhish

G4 has to get permanent seats. Rest are all fill in the numbers as they are right now.
G4 is not getting permanent seat. at the most India will get it. nobody wants to add 4 more permanent seats. only India will get it.
I don't even think the other G4 members are even trying hard other than india.

no smoking

Country flag
G4 is not getting permanent seat. at the most India will get it. nobody wants to add 4 more permanent seats. only India will get it.
I don't even think the other G4 members are even trying hard other than india.
It is not about who shuld get it. It is all about the price you pay. India can only get its permanent seat by paying a price instead of talking.

You may don't like it. But the truth is India alone cannot set up another international organisation. US can do that alone, China and Russia combination can, but india can't.

Reactions: sob

sob

Mod
Country flag
Going by our track record on the Libya and Syria issue and the endless foot dragging over Iran, we are better of than being a permanent member of the UNSC and making a fool of ourselves.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
instead of veto power, why not have system where every country can vote or have voting rights depending on size of population.

GromHellscream

Not realistic at all.
It's more reasonable depending on the complex power of a country, which includes political, ecnomic, military, science/technology and etc.
But if we are talking about seats in permanent club, there is some much simplified measure to judge if one is qualified or not.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
instead of veto power, why not have system where every country can vote or have voting rights depending on size of population.
UN is not a democracy to allow that.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
India - a supah powah wannabe now is a permanent member wannabe. Keep dreaming and smoking. The world Will ask us to have that status if we really deserve. It can't be achieved by begging. :nono:

sukhish

Not realistic at all.
It's more reasonable depending on the complex power of a country, which includes political, ecnomic, military, science/technology and etc.
But if we are talking about seats in permanent club, there is some much simplified measure to judge if one is qualified or not.
I concur with your assememnt. But India is slowly and surely making advances in science, military etc.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles