India pushes for export of military arms and ammunition

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by ejazr, Dec 15, 2010.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

India pushes for export of military arms and ammunition

The Indian Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) is pushing to improve its visibility and market overseas. This includes registering itself with Defence Foreign Procurement Officers of other nations through Defence Attaches offices and advertising through magazines.

In past 3 years, the OFB has exported to US, Italy, Belgium, Israel, Singapore, Chile, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, Botswana, Nepal, Turkey, Thailand, Kenya, Bangladesh, Aden and Suriname.

Although minuscule in terms of international arms trade, the exports in last 3 years have risen from 12.28 crores to 42 crores.

The exports include KAVACH MOD II and AK 630M to Italy; 5.56 mm cartridges to Israel, Singapore and US; 40 mm L‐70 GUN BARREL and cartridges to Singapore; 7.62 mm machine guns (MAG) to Saudi Arabia; 105 mm ammunition to Botswana, Vintage rifles and spares to Australia etc.

OFB has also put up its products for exports on its websites prominently.

3. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

We have these weapons indigenously? How come its news has never been made public? Wow! Didn't know we had stuff worth exporting yet other than big ticket stuff like Tejas, Arjun etc.

4. captonjohn

captonjohn Regular Member

great new though, at least we have started to produce these things indigenously. :happy_3:

5. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Senior Member Senior Member

Unless we form an exclusive import/export authority on the lines of ROSOBORONEXPORT and NORINCO we are sure to under perform even in future. We can't expect organizations like OFBs and HAL to do all sorts of aggressive marketing in between arms mafia, there has to be an dedicated organization to look after.

6. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

I agree to that, Rahul. We need a capable organization to handle the marketing and promotion of OFB and HAL products in foreign markets, similar to what the Russians and Chinese have, otherwise we will hardly grow as an exporter.

7. Tshering22

First of all, rapid manufacturing and swift designing procedures have to be carved out. At the present rate, we are not even close to making 50 Tejas in 1 year let alone that is needed to timely fill IAF's slots forget exporting them to foreign countries. Same goes for Arjun. DRDO is barely making any serious marketing attempts to market Arjun as a potential export tank and is simply relying on indigenous orders... opposite of Russian weapons makers (who rely on foreign exports totally). Arjun Mk-1 is strong enough to carve a niche in the current tank market in Latin America, Africa, Southeast Asia and other countries. It is a pity that Sarkari karmcharis don't have the marketing and promotion acumen in promoting their products on a world scale despite having aptitude and ability to overcome international communication barriers.

I think DRDO should contract private advertising firms to promote their products because honestly "DODO" people won't know jack about how to make some of our better-than-firangi products look superior. Most people including a vast majority of our people think that just because other stuff is foreign made, it must be divinely superior; a mentality that our own IAF and Army suffers currently with BIG TIME.

8. Agantrope

Agantrope Senior Member Senior Member

Tshering whatever it may, anyone working with the govt organisation will fel like they are their employee and they will do the same as what DODO people are doing. People need to learn from Yankees on how to market their products.

9. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

So India is exporting 5.56 mm cartridges to Israel now? Amazing. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Israel who supplied India with desperately needed 5.56 mm cartridges during Kargil War?

10. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

It was indeed.

I think I know the reason why India could be supplying Israel with the 5.56x30 mm: the round, essentially reminiscent of the COLT 5.56×30 MARS cartridge, is an orphan. It would seem especially useful for varminting <the 5.56×30 cartridge can launch a 55gr FMJ bullet at 2600 fps> as necked down to its .22 or .17 caliber form and the IMI guys or a subsidiary in Israel probably wildcat 'em if the Ordnance Factory, Varangaon doesn't have the necessary equipment <which they probly do>. It is a very niche market, and as it stands, there is only one manufacturer that manufactures a similar cartridge: the 17/221 Fireball brass, namely Remington.

11. Tshering22

That's why I said that government should contract private advertising firms that specialize in advertising technology related stuff and use their expertise to be a global exporter of arms. Think about it; our scientists who study our curriculum, our language, our thought process and are our people, go to the US/UK to make it big and design the same "Oh my God American super weapon" that India has to end up buying rather than propping up as her own asset to the world. How sad and disgusting is that? Why? Because of sarkari mechanism. The IIT dudes 2 years back came up with a brilliant UAV concept that MOD and armed forces due to their babu-giri just ignored.

Lockheed Martin sponsored those students and once they completed their degrees, they were offered a chance to work in LM's design bureau. And I won't be surprised if our shameless babudom would be one day buying these from Americans that was designed by the same students who were enthusiastic to work for India once.

This is what I am talking about. The ENTIRE defence structure has to be overhauled big time. More than 1 or 2 lakh of current coots and lazy-bums have to be fired and replaced with passionate, fierce and bubbling-with-ideas personnel in DEFENSE. They will make India one of the top arms exporting nations in the world alongside US, Russia and Israel.

12. Tshering22

That's why I said that government should contract private advertising firms that specialize in advertising technology related stuff and use their expertise to be a global exporter of arms. Think about it; our scientists who study our curriculum, our language, our thought process and are our people, go to the US/UK to make it big and design the same "Oh my God American super weapon" that India has to end up buying rather than propping up as her own asset to the world. How sad and disgusting is that? Why? Because of sarkari mechanism. The IIT dudes 2 years back came up with a brilliant UAV concept that MOD and armed forces due to their babu-giri just ignored.

Lockheed Martin sponsored those students and once they completed their degrees, they were offered a chance to work in LM's design bureau. And I won't be surprised if our shameless babudom would be one day buying these from Americans that was designed by the same students who were enthusiastic to work for India once.

This is what I am talking about. The ENTIRE defence structure has to be overhauled big time. More than 1 or 2 lakh of current coots and lazy-bums have to be fired and replaced with passionate, fierce and bubbling-with-ideas personnel in DEFENSE. They will make India one of the top arms exporting nations in the world alongside US, Russia and Israel.

13. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

I would differ a little . Arrangements like this will lead to more and more corruptions. we need to have a completely independent private sector partner and completely independent from GOI . they should market our products in international market on a fixed commisson basis. Role of GOI should be limited only to the approval of sale to foreign countries. It will be transparent and they should also have say in future development like Airforce, Army or Navy has . It will also lead to some accountability on part of research labs if they fail to deliver .

Only way out of it is either privatization of labs or more and more participation from private sector. Private sector is showing interest but its upto the Government to let them flourish .

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  14. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

abhi_the _gr8_maratha Senior Member Senior Member

15. cobra commando

cobra commando Tharki regiment Veteran Member Senior Member

India Expands List of Countries For Arms Exports

The Indian MoD has formulated a Defence Export Strategy and also a Standard Operating Procedure for issuing ‘No Objection Certificate’ (NOC) for export of ‘military stores’. Since 2008, the directorate general of foreign trade has empowered the department of defence production to issue the NOC. In the last three years and the current year, 2014-15, NOCs for sale of materiel to 55 countries were granted. They include as diverse a group of countries as Algeria, Libya, Germany, Namibia, Italy, Gabon etc. The list of countries India exports 'military stores' are: Algeria, Benin, Nigeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sri Lanka, Paraguay, Japan, Afghanistan, Spain, Nepal, Belgium, Malaysia, Norway, Romania, Port of Spain, Venezuela, France, Vietnam, UK, UAE, Bangladesh, Ghana, Sweden, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Egypt, Burkina Faso, Brazil, Israel, Republic of Korea, Macau, Oman, Tunisia, Libya, Nuevo Leon, Ecuador, Kazakhstan, Uruguay, Netherland, Canada, Russia, USA, Namibia, Indonesia, Mauritius, Myanmar, Switzerland, Czech, Kenya, Botswana, Tajikistan, Singapore, Ireland, Italy, Gabon and Turkey. The above information was given as part of a reply to a question posed by a parliamentarian in India. India has a policy of not being aggressive on defence exports and actual figures are less than 50 million a year. Most if it is of ammunition of India's largely Soviet era weaponry.

India Expands List of Countries For Arms Exports