India police target Uttar Pradesh courting couples

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by SHASH2K2, Dec 1, 2011.

1. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Police in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh have launched a controversial campaign against couples displaying affection in public places.
    Led by a female officer, police raided parks and handed out instant punishment, forcing the boys to do sit-ups, in Sahibabad, not far from Delhi.
    Officials say their aim is to "save innocent girls being trapped by boys with evil motives".
    Similar campaigns in Uttar Pradesh in the past have been denounced.
    'Operation Majnu' The woman police officer leading the campaign, Alka Pandey, says she just wants to ensure the safety of young girls.
    She has been randomly inspecting town parks looking for young couples who are sitting and chatting in remote corners.
    On Tuesday, television channels showed footage of her approaching couples, grabbing the boys by the collar and forcing them to do sit-ups as punishment.
    Public displays of affection between men and women are still widely considered a social taboo in India.
    The new drive, "Operation Majnu", refers to a legendary medieval lover, although the term is now generally used to describe roadside Romeos.
    [​IMG] Some groups oppose Valentine's Day celebrations
    Police officials in the area told the media they launched the campaign after receiving a lot of complaints of young girls being harassed by boys.
    Superintendent of Ghaziabad district, Raghuvir Lal, says he receives many complaints of men hanging around cinema theatres, shopping malls and girls' schools, looking to harass them.
    "The idea was to stop 'Eve-teasing' at all levels," he told the Times of India newspaper.
    Eve-teasing is an Indian term referring to sexual harassment.
    He admitted some police officials could have made mistakes in tackling the matter but that the larger issue was ensuring safety for women.
    There has been some support for the police campaign.
    One young mother, Nandini Sharma, told the media that it was difficult to stand in front of her daughter's school as young men would speed past on bikes to try to impress girls.
    "But the situation has improved in the last three days," she said.

BBC News - India police target Uttar Pradesh courting couples

maomao likes this.
  3. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Today as per news in one footage a married couple was also harrased. Though I dont go to park even in dream but I wonder what I would have done if it was me in place of those couple . Ma kasam I would have slapped back that police officer . Looks like people need to gift pink chaddhis to UP police as well.

4. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

They are protecting culture and tradition of India. ie according to them.

5. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

These things can happen only in smaller towns. Let them try it in Bangalore. Hordes of pink chaddis await them.

6. The Messiah

Didn't vhp or some sena goons thrash couples last year ?

7. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

That a$$hole officer was followed by many cameramen and he was behaving as if he is a supercop. Park didnt look like a typical park for lovers even after knowing that one of couple was married he had them by collars and forced them to do situps. that guy has become famous overnight but in a bad way . I hope he file a case in court against officer and make sure thaat he is made to pay for his act .

8. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Didn't hear anything of the sort :noidea:

Unless you are confusing with Mangalore!!

9. The Messiah

What they are doing is against the law.

bastard cop has no right to tell any consenting couple to do anything.

10. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

That would be BITCH cop.

Param likes this.
  11. Rahul M

Rahul M Regular Member

the married couple should slap a case of harassment against the moron and make the other folk party to the case. sue the khaki off the idiot's back.

12. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

When will Indian police adopt a policy of courtesy, professionalism and respect instead of this dadagiri attitude that they have inherited from the British Empire? Seriously, there has to be a law that protects couples from harassment even if they engage in PDA as long as there is no public nudity.

Rahul M likes this.
  13. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Glad to see that our (highly limited) police resources are being used effectively :hail:

Rahul M likes this.
  14. lcatejas

lcatejas Regular Member

What will you expect in Mayawati's Raj ... One of the biggest mole on donkey's ass

15. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

Policemen in India run their own Kangaroo courts on streets. If the couple were doing something wrong they deserved to be arrested and then produced into court. India needs radical police reforms.

As far as these love birds are concerned they have become a nuisance, they occupy every corner in public parks, smooching, fondling and even having sex. Families and kids have stopped visiting the public parks in Delhi, the sanity must be restored on both sides in general public interest.

16. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Idiotic!

If they are making a public nuisance of themselves, then that is different.

17. Ray

I am against Moral Policing.

But then, I think your contention of 'consenting couple' is a trifle way out.

Are you suggesting that one should ask the people - hey, are you consenting?

If someone is struggling to get out of a grasp, what do you think it is? Consenting?

And what if one is smooching to glory? Not consenting?

and would you like to observe the real act and ask are you consenting?

Open fornication is not acceptable whether consenting or otherwise since there are all sorts of people in a park - children, old, young , conservatives, burkha clad reading the namaz etc.

Dovah likes this.
  18. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

I don't know about kissing, but things like groping in public must be dealt with severely. If its kicking the arse of those indulging in it, so be it.

There are certain things that must be limited to the four wall of your house not on the highway or on the public bus or on the beach.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  19. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

Police is responsible for the protection and safety of general public. Police must instill confidence in the mind of common people and make them feel safe. But in this case police went out of the way and attacked people. Police must not try to serve justice on streets.

But yes something needs to be done to make these "Public Parks" PUBLIC again, which includes detention of those who indulge in indecent behavior, personal life must be kept strictly personal.

20. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Exactly. I bet if all the 'open minds', 'anti-chaddiwallahs' here would take their child for a stroll in Besant nagar beach in Chennai or Band Stand in Mumbai one evening ?

21. Ray

What happens out there?

I thought that TN is quite conservative. I am sure you are exaggerating!

I will go to Bandra Bandstand when I go to Mumbai and have a look and check it out.