India, Pakistan urged to cut military spending: 'Media Conclave'

Country flag
I read only Pakistanis asking for cutting military expenditure

Btw India spends more money (1.9 lakh crore) on subsidies for LPG, Petrol, diesel and Kerosense than on defence (1.8 lakh crore) approximately

How about the "media conclave" talk about cutting down the subsidies so that govt. can actually start spending on health care, education and food security?
Bhutto proudly said we will eat grass = the Pakistani people are eating grass as he promised but not the Government.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

Btw India spends more money (1.9 lakh crore) on subsidies for LPG, Petrol, diesel and Kerosense than on defence (1.8 lakh crore) approximately

How about the "media conclave" talk about cutting down the subsidies so that govt. can actually start spending on health care, education and food security?
Then reduce both subsidies and defence expenditure.Govt will have more money in hands to spend on food ,health and education.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Bhutto proudly said we will eat grass = the Pakistani people are eating grass as he promised but not the Government.
Though pakistani people are eating grass but then they also have got capacity to melt enemies.

p2prada

Personally, I don't mind if fuel prices increases to Rs 100. It will eventually end up that way. I would rather prefer food inflation does not rise. I barely spend 5000 a month on fuel while food expenditure is nearly 20000 for my family.

They can cut down on subsidy along with decreasing taxes, so even oil companies can reduce their losses. Such a humongous wastage of funds. The centre subsidizes fuel and state govts put taxes on it. Heck, they can increase taxes on booze and tobacco instead. It flows more freely than fuel.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sure the countries should cut military expenditure.

But the Media Conclave should also guarantee eternal peace!

And is the Indian Defence Budget Pakistan centric?

Media Conclave!!

Self appointed Pollyannas totally devoid of reality!

lcatejas

We have money and we can buy any thing from any country... What About Pak.. Pak don't have money to eat... its economy is running on charity...pakistan only learned hate within these 60 Yrs..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Though pakistani people are eating grass but then they also have got capacity to melt enemies.
NO one can deny that Pakistanis have been reduced to eating grass.

However, melt enemies?

The way they are being pounded by friends with the Drones and then China refusing to bankroll their projects like the Neelum (Kishenganga) indicates that friends have deserted the sinking ship and if Pakistan is melting anything, it is they themselves who they are melting! :eek:

ejazr

Ambassador
Then reduce both subsidies and defence expenditure.Govt will have more money in hands to spend on food ,health and education.
The Defence expenditure is still around 1.9% of GDP. I think that is quite low and much lower than Pakistan's 3.5%

How about India approximately doubles its defence budget to 3% of GDP and Pakistan brings it down to 3% of GDP?

Koovie

Why should we? We are just modernizing our Forces. And we are just spending around 2 % of our GDP, so nothing special. Its not the fault of the military that there are still people in some states who have to go to bed hungry although millions of tons of food are rotting in store rooms every year due to total incompetence in other ministries.

pmaitra

The Defence expenditure is still around 1.9% of GDP. I think that is quite low and much lower than Pakistan's 3.5%

How about India approximately doubles its defence budget to 3% of GDP and Pakistan brings it down to 3% of GDP?
That 3.5% surely does not include the money spent by all the militias and autonomous warlords and groups on weapons and ammunition. I wonder what the real percentage of Pakistan's GDP goes towards all weapons purchased by all Pakistanis.

p2prada

That 3.5% surely does not include the money spent by all the militias and autonomous warlords and groups on weapons and ammunition. I wonder what the real percentage of Pakistan's GDP goes towards all weapons purchased by all Pakistanis.
Officially, Pakistan's military spending vs GDP is 3.5%, but military spending vs revenue is ~25%.

Comparatively, India's military spending vs GDP is 1.9% and military spending vs revenue is ~15%.

Other than that Pakistan also receives aid from NATO. So, their $6.5Billion military spending is further reinforced by another $1.5Billion/year from the US alone. This apart from the so called "Friends of Pakistan" channeling money secretly into Pakistan using the Hawala trade and support from criminal organizations like Dawood Ibrahim against India. Without this support, Pakistan would have bankrupted itself a long time ago.

Spending by militias and warlords will be significantly lesser or even negligible compared to state spending. But what is of concern is that the population under their control is not economically well off. So, this will compound problems.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The decision is for Indians and not for anyone else!

ejazr

Ambassador
True and that doesn't include the approximate 1.5 Billion USD per year that US provides Pakistan (mainly during Musharraf years) on top which is close to 20% of their budget. Although I just wanted to go by official known figures.

What I find irritating is when people just mindlessly say, oh India and Pakistan should stop spending on military and start spending on its poor.

Look at the facts, India spends very little on military compared to any country of its size. Pakistan is the one that should reduce its spending. India's problem is misallocation of its budget rather than too much military spending. In Pakistan, they actually have very little subsidies and if the actually reduced military spending, it would benefit them much more.

Adux

Country flag
India gets what it wants, it doesnt have to beg for weapons.

Also, Media conclave is what? Why does this even have a thread here, and increase the their already over inflated media presence and ego's?

India is competing with China and spends less than 2% GDP on Defense, while both Pakistan and China spends more than 6% and 3% on their military,

All this while India has a obeslete military and two very serious threats both sides of the border. Therefore India if anything should be spending 5% to 6% to really tackle both these threats and our internal problems.

p2prada

Therefore India if anything should be spending 5% to 6% to really tackle both these threats and our internal problems.
Even bringing this figure from 2% to 3% would be a big deal from military POV, let alone 5 or 6%.

But then the Armed forces should know where to spend it or they will end up returning a lot of money unspent back to MoF, which has happened many times in the past, regardless of the reasons.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Unfortunately this shows Pakistani have a very narrow understanding. India's security and defence needs are not based on Pakistan,, China, global terror, rising stature, desire to be a global power all play an important part.

Pakistan is welcome to match us in an arms race, its theirs to lose. :)
Tomorrow this media conclave would suggest we should bring our increasing GDP growth to Paki levels because they are lagging behind.Now when Pakis cant compete they are begging us to withdraw from Siachin and lower our defense spending. :rolleyes:

Get out of the region idiot "Media Conclave" since you have no idea about this issue.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Even bringing this figure from 2% to 3% would be a big deal from military POV, let alone 5 or 6%.

But then the Armed forces should know where to spend it or they will end up returning a lot of money unspent back to MoF, which has happened many times in the past, regardless of the reasons.
Quoted for truth.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
1. If Pakistan agrees that Siachen belongs to India, then India will move back asap.
The only reason Pakistan is not agreeing is because they have dishonorable intentions. They tried to usurp Kashmir in 1948, 65 and then 1999 too; they also spread insurgency in Kashmir; they also committed large scale genocide of PoK residents who were against Pakistan, and finally they gave away a huge chunk of Kashmir to China.

2. India's army employs far less soldiers per capita than most countries. Pakistan's armed forces are 70% of India's and their population 15% that of India's.
I am for increasing the number of soldiers in the armed forces, it is presently too low for such a huge and major player and we are facing a severe shortage of officers.

3. India can save money from imports, if it develops domestic industry. You are confusing the issues.
Agree 101%... we are facing dual threat.

India's military is 0.00107438% of it's population and Pakistan has 0.003888889%. Clearly 3 times in %

China has 2.5 million military and Pak has about 700,000.... this means we should be having 3-5 million standing military.Out of that 2 million fully dedicated for Pakis and rest for the Chinese.Most importantly IAF should be 300,000 with at least 1500 fighter aircrafts.

But what we have got is 1.3 million standing army and hardly 650 planes. :tsk:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles