India opens bids in $10.4-bn combat plane tender.

The final call! Show your support. Who do you think should Win?

• Eurofighter Typhoon

Votes: 66 51.2%
  • Dassault Rafale

Votes: 63 48.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trackwhack

Rafale loses MMRCA

A bilateral meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and French President Nicolas Sarkozy in Cannes on the sidelines of the G-20 summit could not take place on Friday thereby leading to speculation that France has lost the race for the `48,000 crore MMRCA deal.

No Manmohan, Sarkozy meet at G-20 fuels bid speculation
If this is true, I am absolutely delighted. Not that the EFT won, I couldnt care about either as I think both are competent aircraft. I'm just relieved that, that sloth of a plane, the F 35 did not figure in the discussions at all.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

Zebra

Country flag
I wish.

May be MMRCA + Super hornet, I hope. ;) :)

SH + Gripen , :scared1: :peep: .

One US a/c one non US a/c .

btw how many of them , IAF can buy in 20 billion $, ( 60 million $ each FAW cost ) In future we may go for JSF .

Last edited:

sukhish

You want to bet ? 8)
Messiah,
I want to bet, it is going to be EF for this contract. something in me tell me that EF will get this deal. India is cautious about price, but more concerned about TOT. the guy who offers best TOT will get this deal and I can assure you that EU will offer much better TOT than French, it's that simple. UK ambassador to india had said slowly the engine technologies would given to India over time. Also engine wise EF is power full than that of rafale. In the next five years India will get its first functional fighter jet engine

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Rafale loses MMRCA

A bilateral meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and French President Nicolas Sarkozy in Cannes on the sidelines of the G-20 summit could not take place on Friday thereby leading to speculation that France has lost the race for the `48,000 crore MMRCA deal.

No Manmohan, Sarkozy meet at G-20 fuels bid speculation
Armand - that's Pioneer - please don't quote that piece of rag - when I was a student in Delhi, we used to wipe our floors with that rag.

mayfair

Armand - that's Pioneer - please don't quote that piece of rag - when I was a student in Delhi, we used to wipe our floors with that rag.
Did you also use The Hindu as a bog roll?

mki

direct acquisition cost" of each Eurofighter Typhoon was "higher" than the French Rafale fighter,

Sources, however, said the "unit flyaway cost" or "direct acquisition cost" of each Eurofighter Typhoon
was "higher" than the
French Rafale fighter
, both of which fall in the $80-$110 million bracket, much costlier than the American, Russian and Swedish jets earlier eliminated after exhaustive technical evaluation by
IAF
pilots.

But the unit flyaway cost will not be the only factor to determine the lowest bidder (L-1). The MoD will also take into account "life-cycle costs" or the cost of operating the fighters over a 40-year period, with 6,000 hours of flying.
Europe versus France contest begins for world's biggest combat aircraft deal - The Times of India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The equation to find out who is cheaper is pretty complex. That's why it's going to take so long to analyze who is cheaper. It's not a simple which plane is cheaper. The whole gamut of it. So it's not going to be a foregone conclusion that Rafale being a cheaper bird will win.The Americans have still not lost hope knowing how defense acquisition in India works.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I guess the order will go towards EF, as it will be Indian way of giving lifeline to EU industries, which are struggling to keep up.

sukhish

I guess the order will go towards EF, as it will be Indian way of giving lifeline to EU industries, which are struggling to keep up.
Spot on. I said it then when the two finalists were selected and in say it now, it's going to be EF. India wants tot, not just the plane.
EF will provide us much better tot, no matter what French says. Also India Will develop leverage with Italy and Spain, very crucial for getting
UNSC permanent seat. Politically, technically and financially it makes sense to go with EF.

SpArK

SORCERER
The lowest bidder is likely to be determined in six-eight weeks, after which contract negotiations will begin. The lowest bidder will be determined after considering life-cycle costs for both vendors.

"With the opening of bids, the process for selecting the lowest bidder has begun," Kar said. He added that during the meeting, both vendors were notified about the other's cost per unit. He, however, declined to comment on the figures, citing confidentiality clauses.

Kar also declined to comment on where each vendor stood in relation to the benchmark price determined by the defence ministry. Benchmarking refers to the process by which the reasonable cost range of acquisition is determined. The defence ministry had completed this process in October.

Officials said that after benchmarking, the final cost of acquisition could be significantly higher than the originally anticipated cost of Rs42,000 crore.

A person with direct knowledge of the matter said that Dassault was "marginally lower" on the unit cost. Mint could not independently confirm this.

Phone calls made to Dassault officials remained unanswered.

"Our offer for India's medium multi-role combat aircraft tender is backed by the four Eurofighter partner nations, as well as their respective aerospace and defence industries. It is competitive and designed to deliver maximum value to India," Cassidian, the defence and security subsidiary of EADS, said in a statement. "Our proposal to make India a full partner in the Eurofighter programme is fully supported by Germany, the UK, Spain and Italy."

Former foreign secretary Lalit Mansingh concurred. "I think the only message that is being sent out is that India has reached a stage where it can buy the best technology. India can choose quality and not go in for bargains. There is also the transfer of technology. I think India will choose the best technology and the vendor who allows for substantial manufacture of the aircraft in India under the transfer of technology clauses," he said.

India opens bids for combat planes - Corporate News - livemint.com

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well with all the talks about ToT every time there is any purchase and after years of ToT that India has got i am forced to say in street language, India ne kya Ghanta Ukhada hai? I dont know why we are all stuck up on ToT which actually means nothing. We got ToT on Mig 21 but still took ages to develop the LCA. We still dont make our engines despite getting ToT on the Al 31 with single crystal blade tech. We still dont have our radar for the LCA, we still dont have a lot of things. In fact i remember opening a thread on ToT quite some time back and what it means and how India has managed to learn or use the ToT or not.

SpArK

SORCERER
EADS still has 46% stake in Dassault aviation.

The initial rumours says the bids were close with slighter less amount quoted for Rafale.

Now comes the part of setting up production facilities , life cycle cost etc etc.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Well with all the talks about ToT every time there is any purchase and after years of ToT that India has got i am forced to say in street language, India ne kya Ghanta Ukhada hai? I dont know why we are all stuck up on ToT which actually means nothing. We got ToT on Mig 21 but still took ages to develop the LCA. We still dont make our engines despite getting ToT on the Al 31 with single crystal blade tech. We still dont have our radar for the LCA, we still dont have a lot of things. In fact i remember opening a thread on ToT quite some time back and what it means and how India has managed to learn or use the ToT or not.
You are unaware of the latest Su 30 mki made by HAL which has been made from the raw material phase;
which has come after so many years

This latest Su 30 mki made by HAL was made up by 28 thousand parts involving 1.2 lakh tools

At least our engineers are learning and doing something useful

If it was NOT for TOT which you are dismissing as useless , India would be forced to go for Model
of the Gulf Countries ie import every thing

Then The costs then would be simply unaffordable because we ALWAYS require and induct
large numbers of every weapon system

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
For ToT drama , add one more classic example , Bofors .
We are dying to get 155 mm. guns , OFB have the blue prints , we all know , what is the out come of that so called ToT .

btw , how many countries have production lines of F 16 , wonder do they have full ToT of F 16 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles