India not ready for a long war

average american

Indian Army not ready for War with China : Neighbours - India Today

Hollow men, bloated machine
In March this year, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) deliberated over a shocking presentation. An internal study by the Indian Army found critical shortages of Rs.60,000 crore worth of ammunition, missiles and equipment. This is roughly 10 per cent of the army's total inventory of Rs.9 lakh crore worth of equipment. "Forget modernisation or transformation, we are extremely low on our existing inventories and war wastage reserves," says a senior army officer. Years of accumulated neglect have hollowed out the core of the world's second largest army and rendered it unfit for war. Another senior officer mentions existing deficiencies of "between 20 and 30 per cent" in the three strike corps, the army's principal offensive formations. This means the army effectively has only two strike corps. It explains why former army chief General Deepak Kapoor told the CCS after the 26/11 Mumbai attack that the army "was not ready for war".

Limited war, not long haul
At the root of the army's rot is the lack of an effective political and administrative vision. The army continues to remain platform-centric, insisting on individual weapon platforms such as tanks and howitzers, rather than becoming mission or capability-centric.

Last edited:

jalsa

War between India and China is not going to happen anytime soon, Pakistan don't want full scale war with India as they know they will lose badly. If at all there is a war between India-China it will most likely be a tie.

average american

War between India and China is not going to happen anytime soon, Pakistan don't want full scale war with India as they know they will lose badly. If at all there is a war between India-China it will most likely be a tie.
I guess there is some kind of Indian logic to that though I fail to see it, sounds like a way to get a lot of Indian soldiers killed.

jalsa

I guess there is some kind of Indian logic to that though I fail to see it, sounds like a way to get a lot of Indian soldiers killed.
No one likes their soldiers getting killed. Thing is, China will not start war until they are absolutely sure of dominant victory and fighting Indian soldiers in the Himalayas is not as easy as you think, as I see it there is no war between us in near future.

average american

No one likes their soldiers getting killed. Thing is, China will not start war until they are absolutely sure of dominant victory and fighting Indian soldiers in the Himalayas is not as easy as you think, as I see it there is no war between us in near future.
I dont think that is how a military is suppose to work, the idea is to be prepared for a war if it comes not hope it does not.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
War between India and China is not going to happen anytime soon

Then disband the Armed forces. And suppose the war happens, then what ?

Pakistan don't want full scale war with India as they know they will lose badly. If at all there is a war between India-China it will most likely be a tie.
Firstly, Pakistan not wanting a war with India is a presumption. Past says something else. This presumption can have some validity only if India maintains and equips its forces unsupassable by the capabilities of Pakistan.

Secondly, Pakistan will lose badly if Indian forces are well stocked and well prepared not otherwise. Unless you want to defeat Pakistan only with Dunda..

Thirdly, in the event of a war between India and China, is obataining a tie the national aim ? I do not think so. Tie is also not without well eapupped and lage numbered Armed Forces.

If you spend peanuts, monkeys will only be the result.

Last edited:

jalsa

I dont think that is how a military is suppose to work, the idea is to be prepared for a war if it comes not hope it does not.
Indian Army is modernizing very fast, I agree that our Squadron strength is falling but with MMRCA and new MKI's being inducted there is some hope. The Army certainly is preparing for it, why I said there won't be war soon is based on current Scenario, the tensions between the two countries are not in a level to cause a full scale war.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Strage ideas !!

Uncooked rice...

arya

Country flag
oh my god

that's every indian know but who care , we think our solider are like security guard on gates .

our last chief are crying now our current chief is just making happy to govt why he should shout for army.

well here we just care for votes and soldiers are not so much important

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
IA brass should study US Army in the time before WWI and between WWI and WWII. The shortages and shortcomings are similar to the IA today. Interestingly, many of the the top generals of WWII (Patton, Marshall, MacArthur, Bradley) had careers as junior officers pre-WWI.

venkat

Jalsa ji,a cat thinks while drinking milk it closes its eyes and therefore assumes nobody is watching it......Aap bahut jalsa main hain...it appears...india opened its arms to rehman malik...what did he do? he came to india and did a verbal farting that 26/11 and babri demolition are on the same line!!! next week what happened ?Two of our soldiers got killed and one of our soldier's head, guarding the borders, went missing in an apparent brutal act of murder !!! some cat hissing from Delhi calmed the general public....don't assume pakistan and china will never attack!!!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This news is old one, at least 6 months old. Any such report can be taken with a pinch of salt. There can be games being played behind such reports.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Then disband the Armed forces. And suppose the war happens, then what ?

Firstly, Pakistan not wanting a war with India is a presumption. Past says something else. This presumption can have some validity only if India maintains and equips its forces unsupassable by the capabilities of Pakistan.

Secondly, Pakistan will lose badly if Indian forces are well stocked and well prepared not otherwise. Unless you want to defeat Pakistan only with Dunda..

Thirdly, in the event of a war between India and China, is obataining a tie the national aim ? I do not think so. Tie is also not without well eapupped and lage numbered Armed Forces.

If you spend peanuts, monkeys will only be the result.
Use the money from tax for something useful- like law and order and National security through armed forces..

Get rid of wasteful govt expenditures like Welfare/subsidies etc:namaste:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Indian Army not ready for War with China : Neighbours - India Today

Hollow men, bloated machine
In March this year, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) deliberated over a shocking presentation. An internal study by the Indian Army found critical shortages of Rs.60,000 crore worth of ammunition, missiles and equipment. This is roughly 10 per cent of the army's total inventory of Rs.9 lakh crore worth of equipment. "Forget modernisation or transformation, we are extremely low on our existing inventories and war wastage reserves," says a senior army officer. Years of accumulated neglect have hollowed out the core of the world's second largest army and rendered it unfit for war. Another senior officer mentions existing deficiencies of "between 20 and 30 per cent" in the three strike corps, the army's principal offensive formations. This means the army effectively has only two strike corps. It explains why former army chief General Deepak Kapoor told the CCS after the 26/11 Mumbai attack that the army "was not ready for war".

Limited war, not long haul
At the root of the army's rot is the lack of an effective political and administrative vision. The army continues to remain platform-centric, insisting on individual weapon platforms such as tanks and howitzers, rather than becoming mission or capability-centric.
the report failed to mention the age-old known ................... not even enough bullets (apparently ) !

ice berg

Oh how wonderful that average americans care so much about a possible war between India and China. :thumb:

I can almost feel his sincerity from where he sits, a continent away eating hot dogs and drinking cold beers. And of course, US will be deeply saddened by a such event.

Country flag
This is debateabvle with a population that can fight a 1000 year or longer war I wonder
how the author can make this argument. In all the wars against Pakistan they had better
equipment and still lost, against china no equipment but war was fought due to chinese
aggression. Global firepower puts India at number 1 in military age population. So this article
is mostly BS..

Military Strength of India

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Oh how wonderful that average americans care so much about a possible war between India and China. :thumb:

I can almost feel his sincerity from where he sits, a continent away eating hot dogs and drinking cold beers. And of course, US will be deeply saddened by a such event.
Damn right. And Buffalo Wings. 3/2/2013 is Super Bowl XLVII!

Blackwater

full scale war is not option now.as business interest dominate world politics

average american

full scale war is not option now.as business interest dominate world politics
I think they said something like that right befor World War II,, there is not much use in having a military if its not prepared to fight and according to
General Deepak Kapoor told the CCS after the 26/11 Mumbai attack that the army "was not ready for war". even with Pakistan.

Its not my fault India is so screw up, I would like to see you all have a better military in case you get in a war with Pakistan you dont get your ass kicked and if you get in a war with China at least its worth watching.:namaste:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles