India Must Choose Both China and Japan

arya

Country flag
both are important , china is our friend :)

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
On the eve of the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Japan, a think-tank in New Delhi hosted a conference on China entitled a "New Type of Partnership Between Big Powers: Sino-Indian Relations."

......]Later this month, Chinese President Xi Jinping will visit India. This will be a historic opportunity for India and China to rebuild and strengthen their ties, as in the 1950s.
Source:- India Must Choose Both China and Japan | The Diplomat
the quote from the article has been shortened to highlight the last sentence
I really love the last sentence in that article ,....the author perhaps didn't study any history ?
Historic opportunity indeed ! Doesn't he know what happened in the early 1960's ? :thumb:

Reactions: Neo

Rushil51

Country flag
the quote from the article has been shortened to highlight the last sentence
I really love the last sentence in that article ,....the author perhaps didn't study any history ?
Historic opportunity indeed ! Doesn't he know what happened in the early 1960's ? :thumb:
I don't think anything is wrong with that. It only says that it will opportunity for India and China to start to rebuild and strengthen their ties to level of that in 1950s.

Rushil51

Country flag
Honestly speaking,the title is misleading. They basically want to say any development/improvement in India-Japan relations should not come at the cost of India-China relations. I also really don't get why people are talking about India being next Japan/SK? What do you mean by being India being next SK/Japan? Really don't get it.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Firstly India need not choose between anybody right now, There is enough trade deficit to allow anybody to invest in india.
Second our economy needs to be tied up with other economies as much possible so that no body can risk anything bad happening to indian economy,there in lies our safety.

But Frankly kudos to modi for starting this debate. Most of the strategy papers i read indicated china has only a look-east policy i.e U.S/Japan etc. China never had a economic policy for their western neighbours. You may say pakistan but pakistan is more of a strategic objective rather than an economic one. Even that 5 billion USD investment in industrial park in Maharashtra and Gujarat is a big amount for us but they are peanuts for china. This is part of a recent trend of chinese investments outside if china, as long as they are giving the world should take as much as they can before they stop giving out.

t_co

The problem with chinese is they respect the law of jungle and not of civilization.
Someone need to teach humility to the them.
The behaviour and attitude of chinese ultimately affect our relation with them.
Hope modi gifts xi with bhagvad gita too as he need to learn it more.
It wouldn't be the first time India has exerted a positive cultural influence on Chinese politics. Buddhism from India substantially toned down the violence level of the first few Tang emperors in the 7th and 8th centuries, which set the dynasty apart from its predecessors (especially the Sui Dynasty) in terms of both economic growth and political stability.

no smoking

Country flag
@amoy20 yrs before Ind&Chi also at same stage.So who knows 20yrs after China will be India :lol: :lol:
Chinese were ahead of India in every major industrial products in 1978, not even to mention 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Neo

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I don't think anything is wrong with that. It only says that it will opportunity for India and China to start to rebuild and strengthen their ties to level of that in 1950s.
consider the reality of this day - ccp china is transgressing the border areas a few hundred times a year and so
you suggest we be great friend s with them while the border remains unsolved ? - its ok to dream in one's office or home
but place yourself as a jawan in the front line - we saw a video a few days ago of ccp chinese kick at indian soldiers
at the very border areas . The video is two years old but the attitude not only persists but can be said to be gradually escalating .
Sure there are times when they also drink tea and pretend to sign songs together but when that's over the reality comes back
into play all over again an the pushing and shoving is just a hairs' breadth away from firing the first shots and precipitating
who knows what

So please tell the jawans at the border that you want to go back to the 1950s's great friendship with china

If you were an ordinary person not a high up politician and you visited those jawans and told them that
i'm sure wont make it back home safely - they'll let you know what they thought of your idea !

I'm not saying that we should be overly aggressive with China ( fat hopes of that happening anyway ) but
to dream that we can go back to the 1950's and get it right this time is to totally deny and ignore teh fierce
realities on the ground , and only a policy planner or defence minister in PM JN's cabinet was qualified to
do just that !

Last edited:

Rushil51

Country flag
consider the reality of this day - ccp china is transgressing the border areas a few hundred times a year and so
you suggest we be great friend s with them while the border remains unsolved ? - its ok to dream in one's office or home
but place yourself as a jawan in the front line - we saw a video a few days ago of ccp chinese kick at indian soldiers
at the very border areas . The video is two years old but the attitude not only persists but can be said to be gradually escalating .
Sure there are times when they also drink tea and pretend to sign songs together but when that's over the reality comes back
into play all over again an the pushing and shoving is just a hairs' breadth away from firing the first shots and precipitating
who knows what

So please tell the jawans at the border that you want to go back to the 1950s's great friendship with china

If you were an ordinary person not a high up politician and you visited those jawans and told them that
i'm sure wont make it back home safely - they'll let you know what they thought of your idea !

I'm not saying that we should be overly aggressive with China ( fat hopes of that happening anyway ) but
to dream that we can go back to the 1950's and get it right this time is to totally deny and ignore teh fierce
realities on the ground , and only a policy planner or defence minister in PM JN's cabinet was qualified to
do just that !
Aahahahaha are you dreaming or what? When did I say(or as you said "I dream") we should be great friends with China.I just pointed out that the author simply said that this meeting may turn out to be historic in Ind-Cn relations when you said "Oh isn't the author aware about 1960". And I am pretty sure author is aware about everything and knows far more than you do.

amoy

It wouldn't be the first time India has exerted a positive cultural influence on Chinese politics. Buddhism from India substantially toned down the violence level of the first few Tang emperors in the 7th and 8th centuries, which set the dynasty apart from its predecessors (especially the Sui Dynasty) in terms of both economic growth and political stability.
Nah, the birthplace for Buddhism is Lumbini, located in present day Nepal. Nepalis would be upset to hear u attribute the "posititive" cultural influence to India. On many of their vehicles a poster "Buddha was born in Nepal" is very conspicuous! How many Indians are Buddhists nowadays? Most of them are either Tibeto-Burman people (Mongloids) or converts in protest against Caste.

Now Chinese have embraced Buddhism as part of our own cultural soft power and a bond with S.Asian peers like Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Myanmar (We're all South Asians!).

Free Karma

Nah, the birthplace for Buddhism is Lumbini, located in present day Nepal. Nepalis would be upset to hear u attribute the "posititive" cultural influence to India. On many of their vehicles a poster "Buddha was born in Nepal" is very conspicuous! How many Indians are Buddhists nowadays? Most of them are either Tibeto-Burman people (Mongloids) or converts in protest against Caste.

Now Chinese have embraced Buddhism as part of our own cultural soft power and a bond with S.Asian peers like Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Myanmar (We're all South Asians!).
:lol: That insecurity.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Aahahahaha are you dreaming or what? When did I say(or as you said "I dream") we should be great friends with China.I just pointed out that the author simply said that this meeting may turn out to be historic in Ind-Cn relations when you said "Oh isn't the author aware about 1960". And I am pretty sure author is aware about everything and knows far more than you do.
okay ...in a debate we debate - different view points and not go personal,
and you have kept it at an acceptable level, thanks for that .
You are right that i may have re-interpreted your stand so for that i will make correction.
as for the author , well, understandably we differ .

But the real test is in what happens - and for that i am taking an extra cautionary viewpoint .

My main point is that i don't want a repeat of what happened in the past and Frankly UPA didn't give me
too much confidence in that regard - it is now NDA but that is no guarantee although fortunately it is a new crowd
and we can hope for improvement - will they deliver ? I prefer to err on the side of caution, dont you agree ?
regards, R.

Last edited:

Ashutosh Lokhande

Buddhism came from hinduism which originated in india. One of the main reson for buddhism to be created was the ultimate flaw in hinduism i.e unequality/casteism.

nepal was also under indian rulers that why it is still a hindu majority state.
So its not wrong to say that buddhism originated from 'Bharat varsh'

amoy

Buddhism came from hinduism which originated in india. One of the main reson for buddhism to be created was the ultimate flaw in hinduism i.e unequality/casteism.

nepal was also under indian rulers that why it is still a hindu majority state.
So its not wrong to say that buddhism originated from 'Bharat varsh'
the point being present day B'ism is sparsely associated with India (a diff. religion in essence from its Indian roots ) while Chinese B'ists extensively in affinity and interactions with South Asian fellow followers (barring Indian).

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What has China to offer that is beneficial to India?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

And where did the Buddha achieve Nirvana?

That is what is the cornerstone of Buddhism.

In China?

bose

Country flag
Japan any day and any time !! What does China have to offer ??

Rushil51

Country flag
okay ...in a debate we debate - different view points and not go personal,
and you have kept it at an acceptable level, thanks for that .
You are right that i may have re-interpreted your stand so for that i will make correction.
as for the author , well, understandably we differ .

But the real test is in what happens - and for that i am taking an extra cautionary viewpoint .

My main point is that i don't want a repeat of what happened in the past and Frankly UPA didn't give me
too much confidence in that regard - it is now NDA but that is no guarantee although fortunately it is a new crowd
and we can hope for improvement - will they deliver ? I prefer to err on the side of caution, dont you agree ?
regards, R.
Well tbh,we are on the same side. I agree with you we should be cautious with China. I just pointed out authors what author meant. But keep the relations stagnant? I don't think so. And by improvement I meant small and slow step and not to open all the floodgates at once.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Where is Jesus Born ... where is MO born

Any way India don't have any CLAIM in BUDDHISM we(Ind/Npl) r not DESCENDENTS of Buddha,may be from Indian SUBCONTINENT BURMA/SL have RIGHT to call BUDDHA descendents we r 100% not.

We r like fools actually rejected BUDDHA TEACHING/PRINCIPLES and go back to HINDU ROOTS

You have no idea about Buddhism and the history of Buddhism that is associated with this land!!

With out Indian emperors converting to Buddhism it would have not flourished at that time.

India is the center of Buddhist world, include Nepal as Buddha is born.

India is a Dharmic land where 80 percent people follow dharmic religions, Hinduism is a flexible one which also incorporated Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu.

Buddha descendent's ??

They are Buddha followers or people who practice Buddha's principles.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles