India moves close to China in growth rate

ice berg

That begs the question, how many times do I have to prove it? 3,4,5, 10 times?? All because you are too lazy to browse DFI? You can find real numbers I have posted over the entire 2012 in the China Doomsday thread. I don't have to reprove common knowledge for intellectually lazy people.
Eh, how about a simple link? And no, I dont usually read stuff like Doomsday thread. It is too sensational for my taste.
If I want to read doomsday stuff, I buy comic books.
I dont get along very well with people with one dimentional perspective.
Paying the price of been intellectually lazy, I guess.

ice berg

Please prove that China's economy is over "4 times that of India's". Has India remained static while China has grown?

India's GDP as of mid-2012 was close to $2 trillion. Has China's GDP surpassed $8 trillion?

Also, the latest (2012) figures indicate that China's PPP per-capita GDP is a little over 2 times that of India's. How is this possible?
I suggest you learn the difference between GDP and PPP.

You also need to take account of the appreciation of Yuan and depreciation of Rupee.

In dollar term, that makes a difference.

p2prada

Any idea what are the latest available figures of GDP for both countries, in Yuan and Rupee if possible?

ice berg

Any idea what are the latest available figures of GDP for both countries, in Yuan and Rupee if possible?

AFP.com

China economy grew 7.8% in 2012: government

The Chinese economy expanded 7.8 percent in 2012, according to the government, as annual growth slowed for a second straight year in the face of weakness at home and in key overseas markets.

But gross domestic product (GDP) grew 7.9 percent in the final three months of the year, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said on Friday, as it snapped seven straight quarters of slowing growth.

China's GDP reached 51.9 trillion yuan ($8.28 trillion) in 2012, cementing its position as the world's second-largest economy after the United States.

Economists surveyed by AFP had projected GDP growth of 7.7 percent in 2012 and 7.8 percent in the fourth quarter.

The official GDP figures come as optimism has grown among analysts that the economy will pick up steam in 2013 after two years of relative weakness. The AFP survey showed expectations of an acceleration to 8.0 percent growth this year.

In a statement the NBS said China's overall economic performance was "getting stabilised".
"In the next phase we should... focus on changing the economic growth mode as the main theme and improving the quality and efficiency of economic growth at the core," it said.

China's growth has slowed as the government took steps to cool a once red hot property market as well as amid weakness in the broader global economy, particularly key export markets the United States and Europe.

Growth had slowed for seven straight quarters through September, when the economy expanded 7.4 percent, the worst since early 2009. Annual GDP grew 9.3 percent in 2011 and 10.4 percent in 2010.

As regarding India:
In 2011-12, when the rupee stood at an average of 47.95 against the dollar, the size of the economy was $1.84 trillion at current prices (including indirect taxes). A growth of 14.7 per cent would mean the economy would expand to $2.11 trillion.

The catch, however, is the rupee stood at 47.95 against the dollar in 2011-12, while its average exchange rate against the dollar so far this financial year is 53.24. At this rate, by the end of 2012-13, India would be a $1.9-trillion economy. Any further depreciation in the rupee would further reduce the size of the economy in dollar terms.

India to be $2-trn economy by FY13-end?

Afaik rupee is still at 53 vs dollar.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Its nonsense, to compare India and China. Their govt is hell bent on improving their country while the our's is hell bent on destroying itself.

If anything, India will be lucky to sustain even a 6% growth , thanks to the UPA's reverse gear in the economic policies.

Reactions: sob

badguy2000

Respected Member
Please prove that China's economy is over "4 times that of India's". Has India remained static while China has grown?

India's GDP as of mid-2012 was close to $2 trillion. Has China's GDP surpassed $8 trillion?

Also, the latest (2012) figures indicate that China's PPP per-capita GDP is a little over 2 times that of India's. How is this possible?
well, China's GDP 2012 supassed 8 trillion USD already and the yearly additional GDP is already supassed 1 trillion USD.

it might surpassed 10 trillion USD this year.

the GDP gap between CHina and India is rapidly widened in the past several years, while lots of Indians here wish that CHina were to collapse.

ice berg

Growth is one thing, what kind growth is another. I am more worried about the impact of 2,5 billions on environment than their gdp growths.

Having a sustained and balanced growth is far better than just high gdp growth.

So far both countries have failed. Not the mention that most of the money ended up in the pockets of corrupt politicians.

badguy2000

Respected Member
BTW,in 2015, CHina's nominal GDP might be 15 trillion USD and its per capital nominal GDP might surpassed 10K USD....then CHina might become a high-income country for the first time....

At that time, the whole east Asia will become the third continent-size industrialized area ,after North America and Europe

Country flag
The fact is a Chinese economy grows their growth rate will decline this is an
economic fact. China has probably peeked and putting out fake numbers last few
years. Most of the growth was from an infrastructure buildout and not manufacturing.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I suggest you learn the difference between GDP and PPP.

You also need to take account of the appreciation of Yuan and depreciation of Rupee.

In dollar term, that makes a difference.
LoL.

Thank you for giving me lessons in economics. I suggest you learn what PPP actually means.

Until you have, just answer my questions.

Rage

DFI TEAM
well, China's GDP 2012 supassed 8 trillion USD already and the yearly additional GDP is already supassed 1 trillion USD.

it might surpassed 10 trillion USD this year.

the GDP gap between CHina and India is rapidly widened in the past several years, while lots of Indians here wish that CHina were to collapse.
Please give me a neutral source for that fact. A table comparing GDP's of various countries in 2012 will do.

At $7.318 trillion USD for 2011 (which is itself disputed by very reputable firms and economic intelligence agencies) 7.8% growth for 2012 would mean China's GDP is still under $8 trillion.

It would take a feat of stupendous alacrity for China's GDP to cross $10 trillion this year (a.k.a. it can't be done).

Country flag
Once chinese currency manipulation ends the economy will probably contract.

binayak95

Country flag
Once chinese currency manipulation ends the economy will probably contract.
Yup all it'l take is for someone wanting to liberalise to take power. Same thing happened in USSR when Gorbachev came to power. He wanted to liberalise the market to make it more competitve. So he introduced Glasnost and Perestroika policies, but the rot had set in too deep and the USSR collapsed. Same bloody thing will happen to China

Country flag
Many Chinese banks have given loans backed by bad debt this is also somthing
that has not been factored in.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Please give me a neutral source for that fact. A table comparing GDP's of various countries in 2012 will do.

At $7.318 trillion USD for 2011 (which is itself disputed by very reputable firms and economic intelligence agencies) 7.8% growth for 2012 would mean China's GDP is still under $8 trillion.

It would take a feat of stupendous alacrity for China's GDP to cross $10 trillion this year (a.k.a. it can't be done).
I think what you are quoting is the Nominal GDP, which is 7Tn$+ while the Real GDP of China as per sources is 11Tn$+, for 2011. The real growth of China is quoted to be 7.8%, but of course, whether they are correct or not, is entirely another matter!

Rage

DFI TEAM
I think what you are quoting is the Nominal GDP, which is 7Tn$+ while the Real GDP of China as per sources is 11Tn$+, for 2011. The real growth of China is quoted to be 7.8%, but of course, whether they are correct or not, is entirely another matter!
Please explain to me how China's real GDP can be higher than its nominal GDP?

Nominal GDP is a gross domestic product that has not been adjusted for inflation, in other words, it has not been deflated to take into account the higher value of its currency.

Has China experienced deflation in the last few years? Strange? Because that would be the only case, where its real GDP exceeded its nominal.

You, my dear friend, I believe are referring to GDP PPP. :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles