India may agree to deploy NATO missile system

Country flag
India may agree to deploy NATO missile system

Islamabad—Reports circulating in Russian media are warning of the possibility that India may allow deployment of NATO missile shield in order to win the Western backing against rival China and Pakistan.

The Voice of Russia's senior analyst, Mikhail Berestov reported on September 2, 2011 "No great wonder, appropriate overtures are being made to New Delhi and India may join non-NATO powers like Australia and Russia in cooperating with NATO."

The report suggested that India may be allowed a role "on normalizing Afghanistan, staging wargames, combating terrorism, drug trade and cyberspace crime and exploring possibilities for regional and global missile defence."

U.S. NATO Ambassador Ivo Daalder was quoted as suggesting that India should abandon its non-aligned role and join NATO. Voice of Russian analyst quoted Robert Pshel, head of NATO's Information Office in Moscow as saying "I agree with Mr Daalder that many modern threats are global, and tackling them without emerging powers like India is hardly possible."

Dr Boris Volkonsky of the Russian Strategic Research Institute was quoted as seeing a link to the regional wars currently waged by NATO.

"What next for Libya after Gaddafi is history and what next for Afghanistan after the announced pullout deadline of 2014 is fuel for guesswork. In the meantime, this August was America's bloodiest month in Afghanistan. An ally like India would strengthen Washington's hand in South and Southwest Asia and other world areas."

One ulterior motive may also be at work, namely, that of shared Indian and American fear of the rising dragon of China, the report added.

According to the Voice of Russia report "observers in Russia call attention to the fact that the American ABM overtures to India coincide with announcements about planned interceptor positions in Rumania and an early-warning radar in Turkey."

The United States and India have already studied the possibility of a joint missile defence system but former Defence Secretary Robert Gates had stressed that "talks were only in their early stages."

Until now, India's policy had been to develop its missile shield domestically, closing a potential multibillion-dollar market to American manufacturers Boeing, Lockheed Martin Corp, Raytheon and Northrop Grumman Corp — the biggest players in the emerging ground, air, sea and space based U.S. missile defence system.

But this may be changing in line with a breakthrough Indian decision to buy Lockheed's C-130J military transport aircraft.

According to regional defence observers the deployment of any NATO missile shield in India will set alarm bells ringing not only in China and Pakistan but also in Iran and Russia.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India can join NATO shield, but field it's own missiles and systems. I mean they should devise inter operability measures. Joining NATO shield should not equal buying NATO systems or shelling $$$$ for them to research. We should continue to invest in out own systems.

Country flag
Interesting that Russia also seems to be a little bit concerned?? They have also been moving closer to Pak, a good message for them as well.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
well the radar can be given to us and we can send live data feeds to other Nato members. Rest we can do it ourself, for radar hosting and data feeds we should charge heavy fee.

Country flag
well the radar can be given to us and we can send live data feeds to other Nato members. Rest we can do it ourself, for radar hosting and data feeds we should charge heavy fee.
It will be X-band radar offering us a huge advantage, a game changer in Asia. (Japan and South Korea have Aegis and Israel only country to have land version outside USA)

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Would be better to seek technology and develop our own.

Country flag
Would be better to seek technology and develop our own.
Do we have the time/funding/infrastructure to develop an X-band radar?? We do not even have an indigenous military semiconductor industry that supports our indigenous radars.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India is developing it's own radars. We can augment the radar system using NATO but at the end, missiles etc should be ours. In short to each his system with interoperability

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Conceptually not a bad idea.

However, one has to read the fine print.

One cannot go the Pakistan's way.

Country flag
India is developing it's own radars. We can augment the radar system using NATO but at the end, missiles etc should be ours. In short to each his system with interoperability
I agree that the radar is the best part of this but it may come with conditions to buy US interceptors that may potentially stifle or kill our indigenous efforts?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Indian role will depend after meetings during 22nd-27th September. Personally, I don't see any strong commitment from India till next year.

Country flag
Indian role will depend after meetings during 22nd-27th September. Personally, I don't see any strong commitment from India till next year.
It may take a change in the US government for this to happen, Obama has failed in all foreign diplomacy efforts on most issues.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
It may take a change in the US government for this to happen, Obama has failed in all foreign diplomacy efforts on most issues.
It may also take revival of regional policy stand of GOI to be aggressive on this front.

Interesting thing is, approaches are being made for top-level contact with DC by PMO to re-engage for certain asian+african issues. MMS is ready to bid for even a half-day meeting with obama out of his pre-booked busy schedule.

agentperry

well a news while reaching pakistan become nwes... NATO wanted to share the tech of missile shield not the shield itself. see hindu and navbharat times of 4th sept

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
If this offer is there, this means we have made substantial progress in our own systems. I think we should not take this offer. Let's develop on our own

plugwater

If this offer is there, this means we have made substantial progress in our own systems. I think we should not take this offer. Let's develop on our own
Exactly, We are close to field a BMD similar to THAAD and i dont know what could NATO offer better than that.

About the radar, We have already ordered 6 swordfish radars with 1500km range. (I dont have source for this info but saw this sometime back in an article)

debasree

Country flag
good to hear ,but we want full tot ,nothing less and want gurantee that in conflict time nato will help us millitarily both overtly and covertly,to take care of pakis and chineese

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Exactly, We are close to field a BMD similar to THAAD and i dont know what could NATO offer better than that.

About the radar, We have already ordered 6 swordfish radars with 1500km range. (I dont have source for this info but saw this sometime back in an article)
Iam sure you are not bluffing about the numbers, but I will be thankful, if you can dig in the source and post it

plugwater

Iam sure you are not bluffing about the numbers, but I will be thankful, if you can dig in the source and post it
The state-owned Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has indicated that it intends to outsource the majority of the work in developing six to seven LRTRs worth $1.2 billion. The latest range of radars being designed will be an upgraded version of the LRTR already developed by DRDO in collaboration with Israel
DRDO To Partner With PVT Firms For Radar Projects | India Defence Online
In this they have said the radar is only 800 km since we are upgrading all LRTRs to 1500 km, i guess all 6-7 radars will have that range.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles