India launches monitoring system to track all calls, texts, and online

JBH22

India launches monitoring system to track all calls, texts, and online activity :shocked:

A government-run system for monitoring every piece of citizens' telecommunications, including online activity, text messages, and phone calls, has been launching in India over the past month. The government's Central Monitoring System is meant to be used for enforcing "reasonable security practices and procedures" within the country, according to The Times of India. While the government has committed to remaining within the law, it reportedly hasn't yet detailed what types of conversations it intends to monitor and under what circumstances it would monitor them.

India's government is spending just short of $74 million to build the service, which has been in the works since around 2009. The country's government hasn't been shy about web censorship in the past, requesting that content be removed and prescreened by major companies such as Google. And though the Central Monitoring System will ostensibly be used for fighting terrorism, the threat of constant monitoring doesn't bode well for continued internet and telecom freedoms.The Times of India reported previously that the program is expected to be running in a preliminary state right now, and ultimately should be fully in place by August of 2014.
India launches monitoring system to track all calls, texts, and online activity | The Verge

Big Brother watching friends beware of your post :laugh::laugh:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Spindrift

Re: India launches monitoring system to track all calls, texts, and on

All hail Tor!

JBH22

You had better be careful.

Whaf about Whatsapp? Can they monitor even that?
Is it a threat in disguise?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Yes they can, as it uses the NIB (National Internet Backbone) based communication channel.

Even BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) which is not based on the NIB is monitored. You might remember that a few years back DOT threatened RIM to close down its services if they do not provide them with a monitoring service for BBM.

You had better be careful.

Whaf about Whatsapp? Can they monitor even that?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Now just wait for US style Privacy Activists to flood the streets... :lol:

@W.G.Ewald

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Think of it on a positive note... For a terrorist and corruption hit country like India, this is one of the best news we had recently. It will help CBI, IB and RAW immensely.

Just think... as soon as Yasin Malik calls up Hafiz Saeed to get more lashkars into Kashmir, IB, MI, RAW, all immediately gets informed about it and finally Yasin Malik can be jailed.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

I wont mind them monitoring everything as long as this activity is used against terrorists and anti nationals or for national security, other then that it will be abuse of this system.

actually on the next every key type can be trace.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Think of it on a positive note... For a terrorist and corruption hit country like India, this is one of the best news we had recently. It will help CBI, IB and RAW immensely.

Just think... as soon as Yasin Malik calls up Hafiz Saeed to get more lashkars into Kashmir, IB, MI, RAW, all immediately gets informed about it and finally Yasin Malik can be jailed.
I see pigs fly!!

Silly boy, its used to keep tab on political opponents, dissidents etc.

sorcerer

Country flag

A lot of them will be sweating listening to the late night phone conversations.
:type:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Hate to live in police state, but now a days it is more of necessity specially against terrorists.

We should have the system where in all the flight, trains and other national transport passengers can be tracked and cameras with face recognition at entry and exit points. Wont mind having cameras all round us, in these difficult times. It also helps in reducing crime and deter criminals and track them..

with Adhar they have started an effort, even bank accounts are getting connected. In 5-10 years govt will have accesses to huge data.

DivineHeretic

Country flag

A lot of them will be sweating listening to the late night phone conversations.
:type:
Here goes the late night not so innocent phone calls.:rolleyes:

Maybe oneday you apply for a govt. Job and on the interview, the interviewer plays your late night call. Dream Sarkari job goodbye:wave:

JBH22

Nope a genuine advice!!
Based on what?

I never incited violence in my posts,however I did point out my views :)

sorcerer

Country flag

Here goes the late night not so innocent phone calls.:rolleyes:

Maybe oneday you apply for a govt. Job and on the interview, the interviewer plays your late night call. Dream Sarkari job goodbye:wave:
Actually, I will be comfortable if they interview based on the plays.:cool2: . I can ace it.
Sarkari jab is a dream, its more like a folktale.

I think even if they are monitoring the calls, may be its more of based on certain keywords and such.
If you describe your friendly neighbourhood girl as a 'bomb', then you are sure gonna get monitored. Misspelled boomb also will get monitored,so is the conversation where you blew your exams.

Read it somewhere that, the FBI missed the Boston Bomber clue because of the 'mass' of data. Hope GOI is sensible in the way by which they handle the huge data

DivineHeretic

Country flag

Actually, I will be comfortable if they interview based on the plays.:cool2: . I can ace it.
Sarkari jab is a dream, its more like a folktale.

I think even if they are monitoring the calls, may be its more of based on certain keywords and such.
If you describe your friendly neighbourhood girl as a 'bomb', then you are sure gonna get monitored. Misspelled boomb also will get monitored,so is the conversation where you blew your exams.

Read it somewhere that, the FBI missed the Boston Bomber clue because of the 'mass' of data. Hope GOI is sensible in the way by which they handle the huge data
In that case, anyone writing on this or any other defence forum will be raided by the NSG, or the Army Para, in full NBC suits. A bomd is probably the least lethal object people talk about here.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

I think this is related...

DRDO hires Upscale data mining for listening to online buzz

A lot is being written about the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in the media these days. Almost every launch of AGNI missiles' test runs are published in local, national and international news platforms. Online blogs and news websites run a number of editorials about the DRDO. These shape minds of young India and create an image of Indian defence.

The DRDO has decided to disseminate information about the media coverage of Defence and S & T events related to it. A special effort to gather all possible media coverage during important events like missile launch, product release so as to track the response of the media on the events was initiated. The DRDO will probably use this dissection in shaping its public release policy. Also, this would be a good experience for the DRDO scientists who wish to remain updated.

The DRDO has hired Services of Delhi-Based TECHNOLOGY Consulting and Data Services firm "Upscale" which has its own Data mining Tool. This is a very unique technology. Unlike regular search engines, which crawl the entire web and present the search engine index in definite formats, Upscale's data miner crawl only specific to the need.

Based on Apache Solr, this tool crawls keyword specific articles only so that all those articles which follow a specific matrix of rules are accepted in the search engine index database. Once the news articles get profiled and crawled, they are presented to users with a rich UI experience such as chronological orders or topic / location wise.

A Team of Graduates from IIT Delhi, Delhi University, Delhi Technological University and have worked in development of this Tool.

Upscale has decided to release this specific data mining tool under open source license so that further Research and Development on this can be carried out.

"Today's organizations accumulate huge volumes of data from a variety of sources on a daily basis.However, Large amounts of Turning Data into increasingly finding useful insights and How to better utilize those insights in decision making remains A Challenge for most, "says A text on SAS BusinessWebsite.

Data Mining is an interesting domain and more and more companies have started getting used to the idea of investing in it. The DRDO is just one of them.

sorcerer

Country flag

In that case, anyone writing on this or any other defence forum will be raided by the NSG, or the Army Para, in full NBC suits. A bomd is probably the least lethal object people talk about here.
aaaha!! The era of men in black with constipated look is here. :cool2:

pmaitra

Based on what?

I never incited violence in my posts,however I did point out my views :)
I think @Yusuf was saying it in a general sense, not in your case in particular. For example, one should not call for the assassination of our leaders. That will land the poster in jail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles