India Launched Surgical Strikes Across LoC: DGMO 29/09/2016

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
very fast,
I was about to post this :p

here is the reading part :D

Major who led surgical strikes says, return part was most difficult
The surgical strikes across the LoC were precise and conducted at frenetic pace but the major, who led the daredevil mission, says that the return was the most difficult part and bullets fired by the enemy soldiers were so close that these were whistling past the ears.

The Army Major speaks about the stunning mission in a new book being brought out on the first anniversary of surgical strikes in Pakistan occupied Kashmir. (Representative Image: Reuters)

The surgical strikes across the LoC were precise and conducted at frenetic pace but the major, who led the daredevil mission, says that the return was the most difficult part and bullets fired by the enemy soldiers were so close that these were whistling past the ears

The Army Major speaks about the stunning mission in a new book being brought out on the first anniversary of surgical strikes in Pakistan occupied Kashmir.

The officer is referred to as Major Mike Tango in the book, titled “India’s Most Fearless: True Stories of Modern Military Heroes”. The Army had decided to use soldiers from the units that had suffered losses in the Uri attack for the elaborate revenge mission.

A Ghatak platoon was formed and soldiers from the two units that had lost men were roped in to man border posts and provide crucial terrain intelligence and support to the mission that lay ahead.

“Tactically, this was a smart move – few knew the lay of the frontier land better than they did. But there was another astute reason. “Involving them in the mission would at least begin to lay the ghosts of Uri to rest,” says the book.

About the details of the planning, it says, “The target list was scrutinised along a top-secret chain of command that numbered barely a handful of people, with ‘need to know’ rules applicable throughout.

“The options were vetted by designated officers from the Intelligence Bureau and the Research and Analysis Wing, before a final recommended brief was presented to the government.”

Maj. Tango was entrusted with the job of leading the operation to carry out the strikes.

“As team Leader, Maj. Tango had chosen every man himself, including the officers and men who would play a supporting role. He was also acutely aware of the fact that the lives of 19 men were, quite literally, in his hands,” the book says.

Though Maj. Tango chose the best men for the job, one thing was bothering him – the de-induction or the return. “That’s where I knew I could lose guys,” the book quotes him as recalling.

“Even the actual attack was not something that flustered the commandos. It was the return, an uphill trek to the LoC that was the truly daunting part.

“Their backs would be facing a blaze of fire from Pakistan Army posts, belatedly roused from their slumber. And the dominant position held by the posts would make the escaping warriors easy targets to spot and kill,” the book says.

A total of four terror launch pads operated by Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and protected by the Pakistan Army were selected.

“Through a series of masked communications over mobile, Maj. Tango’s men contacted four ‘assets’- two local villagers in Azad Kashmir and two Pakistani nationals operating in the area – both moles in the dreaded Jaish-e-Mohammed terror group, men who had been turned by Indian agencies a few years before.

“All the four assets separately confirmed the target information that was placed before them. In terms of intelligence, there was nothing further for the team to do on this side of the LoC,” the book says.

The book, written by Shiv Aroor and Rahul Singh and published by Penguin India, tells 14 true stories of extraordinary courage and fearlessness, providing a glimpse into the kind of heroism India’s soldiers display in unthinkably hostile conditions and under grave provocation.

The mission was brief – the soldiers were expected to reach their targets, study the latest intelligence they could possibly access with their satellite devices and then proceed to wipe out every man they saw there, the book says.

The weapons and equipment were then finalised.

“Maj. Tango would be armed with his M4A1 5.56-mm carbine, the rest of the assault team with a mix of M4A1s and standard-issue Israeli Tavor TAR-21 assault rifles, Instalaza C90 disposable grenade launchers and Galil sniper rifles. Batteries on night-vision equipment were checked and other devices were charged too,” the book says.

Two of the terror launch pads identified as targets for Maj. Tango’s team were well inside Azad Kashmir and roughly 500 metres away from each other, it says.

“Each launch pad is really a transit staging area for terrorist infiltrators before they are sent across the LoC. Both launch pads were close to Pakistan Army posts for logistical and administrative purposes. ISI handlers would often visit these launch pads before infiltration attempts,” according the book.

“From the moment the firefight began until the last bullet was fired, it had been just over an hour. The frenetic pace of the assault meant the teams, now united after the split attack on two launch pads, would prepare to leave with only a very rough estimate of the number of terrorists they had managed to kill: 20. The figure would be corroborated days later by India’s external intelligence.

“A total of 38-40 terrorists and two Pakistan Army personnel were killed at the four targets. The three separate teams had simultaneously struck 4 launch pads across the LoC. Their entry into Azad Kashmir had been coordinated and precisely timed,” it says.

As for the return, the major decided to take not the route used to enter Azad Kashmir but a different path that was longer and more circuitous, but comparatively safe. But while the Indian soldiers were returning, the Pakistan Army posts opened fire with everything they had – enraged by the cross-border strike.

“At one point, the bullets were so close, they were whistling past our ears. There’s a familiar put-put sound when rounds fly very close to your head,” Maj. Tango recalls.

“If I were a foot taller, I would have been hit many times over.”

During the circuitous escape, the men were frequently flat on the ground as trees in their path were shredded to bits by hails of ammunition, the book says.

“A particularly vulnerable 60-metre patch in the de- induction route gave the commandos their closest call. Still flat on their bellies, but with no natural feature hiding them, they needed to slither the full distance without being hit. Crossing in pairs as ammunition hit the ground inches from them, Maj. Tango’s team made it to the LoC before the sun was up, finally crossing it at 0430 hours.”

Last edited:

SanjeevM

Country flag
“Through a series of masked communications over mobile, Maj. Tango’s men contacted four ‘assets’- two local villagers in Azad Kashmir and two Pakistani nationals operating in the area – both moles in the dreaded Jaish-e-Mohammed terror group, men who had been turned by Indian agencies a few years before."
Why are they disclosing about assets information? Won't this compromise our assets if they are needed in future? Certain secrets should never be shared.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Why are they disclosing about assets information? Won't this compromise our assets if they are needed in future? Certain secrets should never be shared.
those assets are probably no more assets. By the way, there wasn't any need of such dhindora...
Well Pakis know this already..

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Probably IA doesn't want the repeat of the 90's propaganda. Withholding information allowed human rights vultures to create their own narrative of victimhood.

I'd say it is better to be transparent and deal with consequences openly.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Glad this thread is rejuvenated with more details due to upcoming book.

I hope the bitter taste in mouth caused by few tools who in India were shamelessly asking for proof these strikes will be sweetened by thrilling tactics used by our brave boys.

All eyes on the book.

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
Glad this thread is rejuvenated with more details due to upcoming book.

I hope the bitter taste in mouth caused by few tools who in India were shamelessly asking for proof these strikes will be sweetened by thrilling tactics used by our brave boys.

All eyes on the book.
I suppose this discussion will also increase from the political PoV with Nitin Gokhale's book.

mayfair

I hope the bitter taste in mouth caused by few tools who in India were shamelessly asking for proof these strikes will be sweetened by thrilling tactics used by our brave
Don't bet on it. The tools will remain tools and the goal posts have long been shifted.

Here's a few gems that I have read, seen or heard since then...

1. Army did this before, UPA/Cong were "wise and mature" not to claim credit. Modi/NDA/BJP/Sanghi/Bhakts are politicising the issue.

2. The surgical strikes were actually a failure since we had to use our elite Special forces to take out "rag tag militants". What happens when the "elite SSG" come calling?

3. What did these surgical strikes achieve? Did the "militants" stop coming? Did the Kashmiris stop chanting azadi? These strikes only added to the communal polarisation in the society.

4. DeMo was a failed attempt to divert from the failure of surgical strikes..GST too..

5. Low caste Modi was desperate to pretend that he's no less than an Upper caste Rajput and hence he recklessly ordered the surgical strikes. Thankfully, Pakistan army exercised restrained and maturity, else we would have had a nuke war.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
I will buy Nitin Gokhale's book anyday but this Shiv Aroor guy seems like an iffy character.

EDIT: I kinda slandered him so should clarify. He got in touch with the creators of PDF to promote his book on the Indian forum owned by them. Also, he randomly tweets political views that are somewhat leftist.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Don't bet on it. The tools will remain tools and the goal posts have long been shifted.

1. Army did this before, UPA/Cong were "wise and mature" not to claim credit. Modi/NDA/BJP/Sanghi/Bhakts are politicising the issue.

2. The surgical strikes were actually a failure since we had to use our elite Special forces to take out "rag tag militants". What happens when the "elite SSG" come calling?

3. What did these surgical strikes achieve? Did the "militants" stop coming? Did the Kashmiris stop chanting azadi? These strikes only added to the communal polarisation in the society.

4. DeMo was a failed attempt to divert from the failure of surgical strikes..GST too..

5. Low caste Modi was desperate to pretend that he's no less than an Upper caste Rajput and hence he recklessly ordered the surgical strikes. Thankfully, Pakistan army exercised restrained and maturity, else we would have had a nuke war.
Except for your fifth point I completely agree with you.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Surgical Strike: Returning to base after surgical strikes was toughest part.

Last September's surgical strikes across the LoC were precise and conducted at a frenetic pace, but the Army major who led the daredevil mission says that returning to the base in India was the most difficult part.

Bullets fired by the “enemy soldiers“ were so close that they whistled past the ears of the Indian soldiers, said the officer referred to as Major Mike Tango in a new book -“India's Most Fearless: True Stories of Modern Military Heroes“ -brought out on the first anniversary of the strikes in PoK.

The Army decided to use soldiers from the units that had suffered losses in the September 18 Uri attack (19 personnel were martyred) for the cross-border revenge mission. A Ghatak (infantry) platoon was formed and soldiers from the two units that had lost men in Uri were roped in to man border posts and provide crucial terrain intelligence and support to the mission that lay ahead. “Tactically, this was a smart move -few knew the lay of the frontier land better than they did. But there was another astute reason. Involving them in the mission would at least begin to lay the ghosts of Uri to rest,“ according to the book.

About the details of the planning, the book says, “The target list was scrutinized along a top-secret chain of command that numbered barely a handful of people, with `need to know' rules applicable throughout. The options were vetted by designated officers from the IB and the RAW, before a final recommended brief was presented to the government“.

Major Tango was entrusted with the job of leading the operation to carry out the strikes. “As team Leader, he had chosen every man himself, including the officers and men who would play a supporting role. He was also acutely aware of the fact that the lives of 19 men were, quite literally, in his hands,“ the book says.

Though the major chose the best men for the job, one thing was bothering him -the de-induction or the return. “That's where I knew I could lose guys,“ the book quotes him as recalling.“Even the actual attack was not something that flustered the commandos. It was the return, an uphill trek to the LoC that was the truly daunting part. Their backs would be facing a blaze of fire from Pakistan Army posts, belatedly roused from their slumber. And the dominant posi tion held by the posts would make the escaping warriors easy targets to spot and kill.“

A total of four terror launch pads operated by Pakistan's ISI and protected by the Pakistan army were selected. “Through a series of masked communications over mobile, Major Tango's men contacted four `assets' -two local villagers in the PoK and two Pakistani nationals operating in the area -both moles in the dreaded Jaish-e-Muhammed, men who had been turned by Indian agencies a few years before.

“All the four assets separately confirmed the target information that was placed before them. In terms of intelligence, there was nothing further for the team to do on this side of the LoC,“ the book says.

The mission was brief -the soldiers were expected to reach their targets, study the latest intelligence they could possibly access with their satellite devices and then proceed to wipe out every man they saw there, the book says.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/...-surgical-strikes-was-toughest-11092017001070

And then there are these Porks who claim that nothing of the sort happened. These morons from the ISPR led a team of journalists to places several km from the target areas to 'prove' that no surgical strikes were conducted. Lol!

Well, obfuscation, propaganda, misinformation and lies are the hallmark of the ISPR and the fundamentalist Islamic Army of the 'Land Of The Pure'. They even boasted of a 'full spectrum response' in case the Indian Army sets foot across the LoC!! ....................We're still waiting!!

Bottom line: They got screwed, and how!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1. Not at the scale which is being conducted and not at such depth into enemy Territory, huge moral boost for people and soldiers who were only used to listen beheading of our soldiers only, Solider`s were chanting ' Modi, Modi ' on load speaker at LOC as Pakistani hated it, Thus those soldiers are so call ' Bhakts ' ?, Their was even larger scale of retaliation during Vajpayee government involving Airforces and laser guided bombs and bofors but it was not used as PR and it was not "wise and mature" to do it, The PR is more of a directed towards international community rather at home ..

2. Read the few pages of the thread before you ask, you will get your answer ..

3. First you have to understand what are the goals of these surgical strikes for that go through the thread, And also understand why part of those Kashmiris feel they need Azadi and wave ISIS flags, Its absurd to connect a military strike with communal problems in country or even asking proof of the strikes from Army ?

4. Who declared Surgical strikes, demonetisation as a failure, Is GST related to this thread ?

mayfair

I believe I must clarify on my post in the surgical strike thread..

The message was intended for that thread, but since it is closed, I am posting it here...

@Kunal Biswas and others

Arre bhai, looks like all of you misunderstood.

These are NOT MY VIEWS.

This a only a summarisation of the views that I have seen and heard people express publicly and privately- in facebook and whatsapp groups, in private social gatherings, in certain offices etc. Some of them can be dismissed as those of idiots, but a considerable number of these people hold responsible positions- their irrational hatred of Modi overrides all sense of thinking.

Just go through the twitter feed of the likes of Sanjeev Bhatt etc. What they are posting on public fora is nothing compared to the venom they spout in private. I have had few such run ins.

Please have a look at my posting history before jumping to conclusions and piling up on me.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles