India is fifth largest military spender with outlay of $55.9 bn: SIPRI WORLD Updated: Apr 24, 2017

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Plus now they are smartly investing on religion along with another financial investments in other countries
small inconsequential point - its not a new 'investment strategy' per se. thats been their preter side-business since allah knows when. for instance, the infection of belgium owes it to them.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Well if you ask me i really don t know were to cut the flab .. But just look at china with a bigger border and with more borders disputes with so many countries has just decided to trim 3 lakh soldiers from the PLA ...

Well if you ask me i feel we can use the TA to maximum utilisation in case of a War .. We should encourage and recruit more people into the TA in both Infantry and Mechanised divisions and this will helps us reduce the financial burden of having more full time soldiers to an extent and we can use TA if there is war ..we can start cutting down the numbers from the support services and also fill the number of officers post which are vacant ..

Well you are right its huge Himalayan task to man our borders up in the mountains and we need man power but we have to adapt technology in surveillance and reduce the dependency on man power to an little less extent ..

Well if you look back at the yum-kippo war Israel fought a much larger Egyptian army of 1 lakh soldiers and 1000 Tanks in the Sinai peninsula which was huge compared to size of Israel with much smaller force and they fought a two front war with Egypt and Syria which had huge number of soldiers .. and Israel utilisation of reservist in these wars to the were equal to the regular soldiers.
The idea of expanding the TA sounds good. The only problem: given that we are a country that faces a shortage of officers and men in the regular force, would we have enough takers of the TA even if we expanded it? Also, I do not know if TA has a mechanised force. I thought TA only has foot soldiers and paras.
But still, its a good idea to replace regular infantry units by some TA.

Also, TA can be good rear echelon forces, we do not need frontline infantry for that.

It would be good if some clerical jobs in the army could be automated and the paperwork reduced. That IMHO is most doable. We need to start chipping away at the flab existing on the static formations: Sub-areas and such. The administrative jobs need to be reduced and automated where possible. I have no idea if this is even possible. I was also thinking, could we make the Engineer units less manpower intensive and more tech driven somehow?

Is it advisable to get the TA to man all the static formations?

Last edited:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
We should not cross 800 when it comes to Fighter aircraft's..which is as per the current requirement 42 Squadrons X 18 aircraft's per Squadron = 756 so we can add another 44 more and keep it around 800 Maximum if we increase the Squadron size to 24 then we may need 1000+ Fighters .. The transport fleet should be around 250 Aircraft's maximum ..

For Naval 3 ACs.. and 30 Sub s with Maximum 8 SSBNs nothing above that .. We can Easily be a force to reckon with ..

We have only two big adversaries not 20 like China has to increase the naval strength to 200+ ships they want to rule SCS,IOR,Pacific and who knows even Atlantic in future once USA moves done the order from the World super power .. We are not in race to become a military super power to rule the oceans and seas .. we are just building a deterrence force to counter our adversaries if they attack us ..

No one is going to take a weak military force as super power either economically or militarily ..We need that much force to keep ourselves up in the order ..
These numbers are only good till 2025,after that chinese will start buying j-20 and j-31 in masses,i believe there are more chinese fifth gen jets in the pipeline and not to forget the j-10b/c's.........
I dont think chinese will stop at 100 squadrons of jet fighters and some more squadrons of bombers,.....
Thats like 1800-2000 jet fighters and 100-200 strategic bombers..........
Pakis will also start purchasing chinese and possibly turkish fifth gen jets..............
To counter both of them we need 45-55 squadrons of modern fighter jets....................
Having 300-400 transport will help us airdrop troops and armour in chinese territory(if china and india ever go to war,we must shoot first and hard and launch preemptive airstrikes),we better take the war to tibet and hold the territory for about 2 weeks................Lets not be utterly defensive all the goddamn time.......Thes transport jets can also be used for bombing and to disrupt chinese lines of comm in tibet

4 aircraft carriers because we need 2 of them for pakistan 1 in south china sea(we have some investments right there and 50%+ of our trade passes through there) and 1 for reserve/training........
30 subs fine.............

But how?
Goddamn MRCA I hear it since some 5th std. still not one plane in pocket.
And with that insane price, we could have bought like double the number (252 ??) of russian fighters and spent the rest on reverse engineering the same, for indigenous tech.
Why be an asshole and buy a useless russian junk,we wanted full ToT for the su-30mki,did we get that????
Pak-fa/FGFA is a goddamn scam?????S-400/300 is utterly useless piece of shit.............
Better buy 60-100 more rafales and kickstart the r&d of AMCA.........We better decrease our dependencies on foreign made arms.........In case of war who knows if any ally country betrays us(remember kargil,britain declined spare support)

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
These numbers are only good till 2025,after that chinese will start buying j-20 and j-31 in masses,i believe there are more chinese fifth gen jets in the pipeline and not to forget the j-10b/c's.........
I dont think chinese will stop at 100 squadrons of jet fighters and some more squadrons of bombers,.....
Thats like 1800-2000 jet fighters and 100-200 strategic bombers..........
Pakis will also start purchasing chinese and possibly turkish fifth gen jets..............
To counter both of them we need 45-55 squadrons of modern fighter jets....................
Having 300-400 transport will help us airdrop troops and armour in chinese territory(if china and india ever go to war,we must shoot first and hard and launch preemptive airstrikes),we better take the war to tibet and hold the territory for about 2 weeks................Lets not be utterly defensive all the goddamn time.......Thes transport jets can also be used for bombing and to disrupt chinese lines of comm in tibet

4 aircraft carriers because we need 2 of them for pakistan 1 in south china sea(we have some investments right there and 50%+ of our trade passes through there) and 1 for reserve/training........
30 subs fine.............

Why be an asshole and buy a useless russian junk,we wanted full ToT for the su-30mki,did we get that????
Pak-fa/FGFA is a goddamn scam?????S-400/300 is utterly useless piece of shit.............
Better buy 60-100 more rafales and kickstart the r&d of AMCA.........We better decrease our dependencies on foreign made arms.........In case of war who knows if any ally country betrays us(remember kargil,britain declined spare support)
Do you really think we are going to get anything valuable from the French, as far as tech transfer is concerned? Nope.
The first rafale is at least 2 years away and then also we get just less than 10 a year.
Already the IAF is shit-short of aircraft, so the cheaper russian planes are a stop gap measure.
The most sharing of tech we get from any country is from russia (and not just in aircraft) and the french or US or anybody else is certainly not going to do any better in sharing.
If you want indigenous tech you have to reverse engineer and learn on own, which is what I said in my post.
Either that or spend massive quantities of monies on indigenous industries (which is sorely lacking in India, at present, esp in mil field)

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Do you really think we are going to get anything valuable from the French, as far as tech transfer is concerned? Nope.
The first rafale is at least 2 years away and then also we get just less than 10 a year.
Already the IAF is shit-short of aircraft, so the cheaper russian planes are a stop gap measure.
The most sharing of tech we get is from russia (and not just in aircraft) and the french or US or anybody else is certainly not going to do any better in sharing.
If you want indigenize tech you have to reverse engineer and learn on own, which is what I said in my post. Either that or spend massive quantities of monies on indigenous industries (which is sorely lacking in India, at present, esp in mil field)
But russian planes are junk,you would never want to be in a junk in case you are fighting a goddamn war
Setup a rafale production line in india................Absorb the tech and invest that tech in future variants of tejas or other jets...............

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
But russian planes are junk,you would never want to be in a junk in case you are fighting a goddamn war
Setup a rafale production line in india................Absorb the tech and invest that tech in future variants of tejas or other jets...............
Sure russian tech is not flashy and hifi like the american gadjets.
But I don't think russian planes are junk, in fact I think they are a better bang-for-buck that the west's billion and trillion dollar blunders.

Anyway I'll post on this in the night. I gtg now.

captscooby81

Country flag
Well the officers shortage is not because people are not interested ..On average the CDS exams draw nothing less than 2 lakh aspirants for the Army,Airforce,Navy for officers cadet now see how many are the slots available in the Batch IMA,AFA,NA,OTA all put together not more than 500 .. Now if army has shortfall of officers they should either promote People from non commissioned officers or increase the batch sizes for these commissioned officers courses..

Now Coming to TA there is lots of interest in people to join this route the only thing which is big hindrance is the two months training period which the companies has to give people who want to join the TA and also continue it with every year one month course .. So TA today attracts more people from Central govt jobs mostly from railways and other govt departments because they can get that much break from those departments ..

when it comes to Private sector, i had applied for TA and for me luckily my HR head was Retd Brig so he said if i crack SSB and get selected he will make a Special provision for me to get two months break from work again a Non paid holiday .. So if corporate s can bring some provision to give two months of time for people who are interested to join TA then i am sure there will be more people who will be ready to join ..For 2016 TA officers recruitment as of today there are 500+ candidates who are awaiting SSB now i am sure from this only 50 will make it finally .. So making a reserve army with 1-2 lakh people is not going to be a very big challenge especially when we have 45 Crore people in 19-35 age group in this country .. All we need is a very good recruiting and training policy . imagine what can the army do when it has 2 lakh soldiers but not on its payroll it will hugely help the financials and those funds can be used for better equipment ..

TA has infantry and Engineered divisions along with some ecological division .. More divisions can be added depends on the requirement of the army as per the time changes ..

The idea of expanding the TA sounds good. The only problem: given that we are a country that faces a shortage of officers and men in the regular force, would we have enough takers of the TA even if we expanded it? Also, I do not know if TA has a mechanised force. I thought TA only has foot soldiers and paras.
But still, its a good idea to replace regular infantry units by some TA.

Also, TA can be good rear echelon forces, we do not need frontline infantry for that.

It would be good if some clerical jobs in the army could be automated and the paperwork reduced. That IMHO is most doable. We need to start chipping away at the flab existing on the static formations: Sub-areas and such. The administrative jobs need to be reduced and automated where possible. I have no idea if this is even possible. I was also thinking, could we make the Engineer units less manpower intensive and more tech driven somehow?

Is it advisable to get the TA to man all the static formations?

IndianHawk

Country flag
They are flooding the market with cheap oil to make US and Canada oil unfeasible as well as to stick it to Iran.. They will be fine I think.. Also, they are investing like crazy for the eventuality when fossil fuels are obsolete/not feasible to mine. I think more likely, there will be a revolution and people will overthrow the government at some point.

I agree with your assessment. But oil is challenged by many things foremost being gas also renewable and increasing efficiency electric devices etc.

And there will be no other Chinese story of oil consumption so in long run oil won't rise much.

Even in India we will discover more oil gas blocks as we have more capital to invest also technology will improve to utilize our CBM and shell gas reserves which are unfortunately underutilized.

Saudi investment is not guaranteed to succeed just like Chinese obor it could lead to asset bubbles in smaller countries while big ones will simply strong arm Saudis to cut concessions. It's hard to change old habits. They are going down unless something miraculous happens again.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles