India is a factor - Former Sri Lankan Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa

HeinzGud

Country flag
Former Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, in an interview with Daily Mirror speaks about his future plans, diplomatic ties he developed during the war time and the charges levelled against him.

Excerpts From The interview:

Q In the book authored by former Foreign Secretary of India Shivshankar Menon, he has referred to a troika involving you in the Sri Lankan side. He has referred to how the west tried to secure a safe passage for the LTTE leaders at the last stage of the war. How do you respond?

In this book by Mr. Menon who is well recognized and authoritative, has written a lot about good things we did. From the very beginning, we identified the importance of India and what it could do. We wanted to keep India with us. We identified that. I have seen criticism on the foreign policy of Mahinda Rajapaksa. This is where it was highly successful. He had a very successfull policy. At that time, the war was the most important thing to handle. We understood the need to keep India with us. That is why we created this troika. That is beyond the normal channel of the Foreign Ministry for closer connections to tackle issues related to the conflict. There was a troika from their side. We had ours here including me. It helped us to solve many issues.

Q What about the United States or the West for that matter trying to secure a safe passage for the LTTE leaders?

That is what he says. The west tried to get the LTTE leaders out of that area by working out a ceasefire. That would have given another chance for Prabhakaran to fight. You could see why we could not agree to it.

Q>How strong was the pressure?

It was a huge pressure. You could imagine the US and the west exerting such pressure to stop the war. The US, at the beginning, helped us. But, with the change of the government and policies there later on, the situation changed. Later on, the Obama government appointed officials such as Samantha Power, Nisha Biswal who gave opinions on human rights. They and the western governments wanted us to stop the war forgetting the fact that the LTTE failed them many times. They have forgotten history.

Q How important is India for future relations?

It is very important. We understood it at the beginning and reached India. Unfortunately, with the change of government in India from Congress to BJP, some officials of the new government misunderstood our relationship with China.

I met twice National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, once in India and once in Sri Lanka. On those occasions, he told me they were not happy with Chinese investments in Sri Lanka. He categorically told me that they wanted us to stop the Port City Project and to take full control of the Hambantota Harbour. He also asked us to take back the full operation of the South Terminal of the Colombo Port.

These are very specific things. I tried to explain to him. We gave the assurance that we will not allow anybody to use the Sri Lankan soil to do anything against India. Our relationship with China is different. We have long diplomatic relations with China. China is the only country that can help us at this juncture on economy development. We need that development which is a must. Our country was destroyed for 32 years. We suffered because of the war. Now we want to develop that country. That is why we took all this assistance.

Unfortunately, India did not believe it due to influence at that time from the West. India decided to work against the MR government. They can do a lot. The Tamil National Alliance listens to India. The Indian origin Tamil community is there. India has control over them. They can do lot of things. It is a factor.

http://dbsjeyaraj.com/dbsj/archives/51598

Srinivas_K

Country flag
India needs to build up the muscle to counter the external powers influence in South Asia.

sthf

Country flag
To my Sri Lankan friends, I am not even mad.

I'll patiently wait for the day you realize the massive blunders you have commited. Till then, go nuts.:biggrin2:

HeinzGud

Country flag

I'll patiently wait for the day you realize the massive blunders you have commited. Till then, go nuts.:biggrin2:
What massive blunders? How can a puny country like Sri Lanka threaten India?

sthf

Country flag
What massive blunders? How can a puny country like Sri Lanka threaten India?
Okay no blunders, happy? :grin:

Dude, you have mighty Chinese and their Iron brothers on your side. You can break India into a zillion pieces if you want to. No need to be humble.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I never thought puny Sri Lanka can send shivers along to the spine of 4th largest military of the world. :india:
Remember the Cuba incident?

(Adding, it's not only our backyard but this time it's us who possesses nuclear torpedos.)
Fighting against a great power is less miserable situation that being a battleground for many. It will ruin you, like Lybia.
No port is loaned to China yet. So why looking for storms in a tea cup.
But it's too near, most likely gone. I hope you do it soon too, will open up your eyes.

Our neighbors like Bangladeshis, Nepalese & Lankans on social media and other platforms about reliability of China over unreliable partner India. And ever since this.threat of being a Chinese colony has came into Ceylonese minds, Lankan members have become pro India!:biggrin2:

Let's see what happens to Bangladeshis.

pringles

The major thing that is misleading in the article is that the interviewee claims that India misunderstood Sri Lanka's friendship with China. That is not true. Sri Lanka crossed a line when they allowed Chinese military ships on their docks.

Everything has a cost. They can't simply lie their way to glory and become India's BFF. They need to demonstrate their stance.

There is a LOOOONNG list of countries which have antagonized India in the past, and as they say, the elephant never forgets. Over the decades, we have extracted a nice price from them and even caused a silent regime change in a lot of these countries. Sri Lanka is just waking up from a civil war and the economy is also picking up. Might as well concentrate on good trade relations, instead of playing realpolitik with India, because when India does realpolitik, the costs become unbearable. Nepal learned it the hard way by taking us for granted.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Remember the Cuba incident?

(Adding, it's not only our backyard but this time it's us who possesses nuclear torpedos.)
Fighting against a great power is less miserable situation that being a battleground for many. It will ruin you, like Lybia.
China has no use of Sri Lanka as a missile base. They can attack any part of India from the Chinese main land. That is same for the submarines. There is no point setting up submarine bases in Sri Lanka when IOR is under Indian control.

Unless of course, you people implies that Indian Navy can't track enemy subs operating in the IOR region.

But it's too near, most likely gone. I hope you do it soon too, will open up your eyes.

Our neighbors like Bangladeshis, Nepalese & Lankans on social media and other platforms about reliability of China over unreliable partner India. And ever since this.threat of being a Chinese colony has came into Ceylonese minds, Lankan members have become pro India!:biggrin2:

Let's see what happens to Bangladeshis.
Nothing is near. H'tota harbor won't be given to China. Though China will invest in the nearby economic corridor.

P.S - Thank you for using the proper name of my country, which is Ceylon.

HeinzGud

Country flag
The major thing that is misleading in the article is that the interviewee claims that India misunderstood Sri Lanka's friendship with China. That is not true. Sri Lanka crossed a line when they allowed Chinese military ships on their docks.

Everything has a cost. They can't simply lie their way to glory and become India's BFF. They need to demonstrate their stance.

There is a LOOOONNG list of countries which have antagonized India in the past, and as they say, the elephant never forgets. Over the decades, we have extracted a nice price from them and even caused a silent regime change in a lot of these countries. Sri Lanka is just waking up from a civil war and the economy is also picking up. Might as well concentrate on good trade relations, instead of playing realpolitik with India, because when India does realpolitik, the costs become unbearable. Nepal learned it the hard way by taking us for granted.
Military ships of friendly countries do come by Sri Lankan ports. That is not a abnormal things. You Indians have taken such a goodwill visits too seriously. How can Chinese shipping base located at the tip of Southern Sri Lanka could threaten India? Would you care to explain.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
China has no use of Sri Lanka as a missile base. They can attack any part of India from the Chinese main land.
They will face a similar retaliation.
Himalaya is there and India has got upper hand in many aspects like artillery post 1962.
Both have massive air power along with massive air defence systems.
To nullify the balance of ground forces on border, PRC needs to attack from water. As India is currently not having any permanent station in East Asia or anywhere in South China sea, I don't find any reason why Sri Lanka won't like to be China's base.
That is same for the submarines. There is no point setting up submarine bases in Sri Lanka when IOR is under Indian control.
We only dominate the IOR militarily. IOR is not part of our country, it's international sea and we can't stop anybody from navigation.
India won't have any problem in handling these submarines today but what will happen later?

If China got submarines here today, they can shift their complete naval command here. It's always better to remain cautious.
Unless of course, you people implies that Indian Navy can't track enemy subs operating in the IOR region.
Ever heard of Fish Hook deep sea bed SOSUS network?
Our problem isn't tracking, our problem is their deployment.
Nothing is near. H'tota harbor won't be given to China. Though China will invest in the nearby economic corridor.
Let's see if land greedy communists will really invest in your country without getting your port.:biggrin2:
China's enough loss in H'tota and you are being forced to pay it back, they won't be investing again unless they are sure of profit or sure of buying out sovereignty.

My humble suggestion don't sell it, this was one of few reasons I respect Ceylonese more than pakis.
P.S - Thank you for using the proper name of my country, which is Ceylon.
Whatever! :rolleyes:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Military ships of friendly countries do come by Sri Lankan ports. That is not a abnormal things. You Indians have taken such a goodwill visits too seriously.
Goodwill visit isn't done by nuclear submarines. China will do other Cuba in Ceylon.
Chinese state media too has been very aggressive against India these days.
How can Chinese shipping base located at the tip of Southern Sri Lanka could threaten India? Would you care to explain.
Did you attend your geography classes?
If yes, you may be knowing.

Shipping base is only for name, nuclear subs were stationed there man! Remember

HeinzGud

Country flag
Goodwill visit isn't done by nuclear submarines. China will do other Cuba in Ceylon.
Chinese state media too has been very aggressive against India these days.
Does it even matter what class of ship arrived for the goodwill visit?

I bet Chinese are stupid like you people to think that Sri Lanka can be a Cuba for India.

Did you attend your geography classes?
If yes, you may be knowing.

Shipping base is only for name, nuclear subs were stationed there man! Remember
What is the use of Nuclear subs when China can easily target any location of India from Chinese main land?

HeinzGud

Country flag
They will face a similar retaliation.
Himalaya is there and India has got upper hand in many aspects like artillery post 1962.
Both have massive air power along with massive air defence systems.
To nullify the balance of ground forces on border, PRC needs to attack from water. As India is currently not having any permanent station in East Asia or anywhere in South China sea, I don't find any reason why Sri Lanka won't like to be China's base.
China will face retaliation regardless that they fire their missiles from land or water. What difference does it make for China or India?

We only dominate the IOR militarily. IOR is not part of our country, it's international sea and we can't stop anybody from navigation.
India won't have any problem in handling these submarines today but what will happen later?
India has a base in Andaman islands. India can monitor the traffic at Malacca strait. You think Chinese can give Indian Navy the slip from that bottleneck? Then what India should do is to strengthen their navy first rather than threatening Sri Lanka.

If China got submarines here today, they can shift their complete naval command here. It's always better to remain cautious.
Are they foolish enough to send an entire naval command to IOR where both Indian Navy and Air force have complete control? Would they risk a complete annihilation if war breaks out?

Let's see if land greedy communists will really invest in your country without getting your port.:biggrin2:
China's enough loss in H'tota and you are being forced to pay it back, they won't be investing again unless they are sure of profit or sure of buying out sovereignty.

My humble suggestion don't sell it, this was one of few reasons I respect Ceylonese more than pakis.
China has nothing to do with the current economic crisis of Sri Lanka.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Does it even matter what class of ship arrived for the goodwill visit?
Off course it does.
I bet Chinese are stupid like you people to think that Sri Lanka can be a Cuba for India.
Yeah, India must sit its hand crossed until SL really becomes so.
What is the use of Nuclear subs when China can easily target any location of India from Chinese main land?
Interception issue, India has several multi layer, very short, short, medium & long range endo and exo atmospheric killers.

China leads India in offensive power but lags behind when comes to missile defence. India can even nullify MIRV or MaRV systems with exo atmospheric killers, China can't even defend against usual ballistic missiles.
China will face retaliation regardless that they fire their missiles from land or water. What difference does it make for China or India?
Upper hand issue, it's really difficult for PRC & India to retaliate on borders.
India has a base in Andaman islands. India can monitor the traffic at Malacca strait. You think Chinese can give Indian Navy the slip from that bottleneck?
Chinese are having similar capability to blockade us in Hormuz strait.
Then what India should do is to strengthen their navy first rather than threatening Sri Lanka.
Who's threatening you?
China, the country who's sending warships & nuclear submarines to your country or India who is striking civil nuclear deals with you?

China, who imposed a project on you itself and asking for compensation now when not turned profitable or India who still supports you with economic aid?

Decide yourself.
Are they foolish enough to send an entire naval command to IOR where both Indian Navy and Air force have complete control? Would they risk a complete annihilation if war breaks out?
That's why they want permanent naval bases in IOR to set footprint.
China has nothing to do with the current economic crisis of Sri Lanka.
Debts paid out?:D

HeinzGud

Country flag
Yeah, India must sit its hand crossed until SL really becomes so.
I bet India has more pressing issues than watching Sri Lanka turns into a Cuba.

Interception issue, India has several multi layer, very short, short, medium & long range endo and exo atmospheric killers.

China leads India in offensive power but lags behind when comes to missile defence. India can even nullify MIRV or MaRV systems with exo atmospheric killers, China can't even defend against usual ballistic missiles.
No country on earth have an effective deterrence against Nuclear tipped misses. Therefore I take your over optimism very disturbing. India won't be able to save her self from a nuclear fallout, nor can China. That is why prevention is practiced by more sane countries.

Upper hand issue, it's really difficult for PRC & India to retaliate on borders.
This is not about border warfare. China don't come to Sri Lanka (If they ever did) to start a border conflict with India. Mind that.

Chinese are having similar capability to blockade us in Hormuz strait.
Does that even count? What importance does strait of Hormuz hold to India when compared with straits of Malacca to China. Don't put forth stupid arguments.

Who's threatening you?
China, the country who's sending warships & nuclear submarines to your country or India who is striking civil nuclear deals with you?

China, who imposed a project on you itself and asking for compensation now when not turned profitable or India who still supports you with economic aid?

Decide yourself.
Sri Lanka has does not need any civil nuclear deal with India. That is far too much burden for Sri Lanka. Besides goodwill visits of friendly warships are not a concern to Sri Lankans.

China never imposed projects on Sri Lanka unlike India. All the projects that are funded by China have been requested by the Sri Lankan government on behalf of it's citizens. Issues of current incompetent Sri Lankan government is not a fault of China nor the previous government of Sri Lanka.

In fact India has not supported Sri Lanka with economic aid. All India has done was to built some houses for the displaced Tamils and rebuild the railroad to Northern Province just to appease Tamils living in Sri Lanka and Tamilnadu. Besides, all the other proposed Indian aided projects have benefits only to India. Sri Lanka don't need a friendly country like that.

That's why they want permanent naval bases in IOR to set footprint.
They can't put a permanent bases in IOR. It's too volatile. Chinese knows that.

Debts paid out?:D
Sri Lanka had massive debts even before the Chinese ones. Therefore it's not a much difference. The only escape from debts is through the projects funded by Chinese.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles