India invites Chinese companies to invest in manufacturing zones

trackwhack

Only if india is producing something based on international standards!
But the fact is very few if not none!
And the situation of huge trade deficit would tell you how indian customers are evaluating Chinese products and indian products.
It is time to pull your head out of sand!
Indians buy chinese crap because they are cheap not because they are great quality. And dont try to pass of Fox Cons sweat shops as Chinese manufacturing. Its Western, Korean and Japanese tech at work there.

trackwhack

you can only afford product in that quality. That is why you are buying crap.
Totally agree. But those that can afford to pay more dont buy anything Chinese. And there arent any Chinese products competing in that market. Please do not quote Lenovo as an example. It is akin to saying all steel from Arcelor Mittal or cars from Jaguar Land Rover is Indian technological expertise.

Country flag
For an economy that is as big as the Chinese economy they don't have one brand
name product that the world loves or associates with China.

e.g-
USA-Levi's jeans
UK-Guiness Beer
Japan-Sony

ice berg

e.g-
USA-Levi's jeans
UK-Guiness Beer
Japan-Sony
10 years ago nobody has heard about Samsung either. Brand recognition takes time.
First manufacturing, then brand building.
China is already heading there. ZTE, Lenovo,Haier, Huawei etc.

Oracle

10 years ago nobody has heard about Samsung either. Brand recognition takes time.
First manufacturing, then brand building.
China is already heading there. ZTE, Lenovo,Haier, Huawei etc.
Lenovo was bought from IBM. ZTE and Huawei are known as malware spreading and data theft companies. Have not heard about haier, what is it? A pet store.

huaxia rox

e.g-
USA-Levi's jeans
UK-Guiness Beer
Japan-Sony
how its related to the size of economy?

as u said....Uk has Guiness and i say swiss has rolex.....well known right???but how small is the gdp of these 2........

ice berg

Lenovo was bought from IBM. ZTE and Huawei are known as malware spreading and data theft companies. Have not heard about haier, what is it? A pet store.
You dont go out very often, do you? :lol:

CHINESE companies have started to win first place in global markets. Huawei has just overtaken Sweden's Ericsson to become the world's largest telecoms-equipment-maker. Even though many foreigners still cannot pronounce its name (some call it "Hawaii", and the firm has even produced a video teaching people to say hwah-way), Huawei is becoming an increasingly powerful global player, capable of going head-to-head with the best in intensely competitive markets. It follows Haier, which is already the leading white-goods-maker; now Lenovo is challenging Hewlett-Packard as the world's biggest PC-maker.
Chinese multinationals: Who's afraid of Huawei? | The Economist

Stop daydreaming og go out more often. :rofl:

Oracle

You dont go out very often, do you? :lol:
If you're thinking that by migrating from paddy fields to the death camps of Foxconn means going out, then, thanks, but no thanks.

CHINESE companies have started to win first place in global markets. Huawei has just overtaken Sweden's Ericsson to become the world's largest telecoms-equipment-maker. Even though many foreigners still cannot pronounce its name (some call it "Hawaii", and the firm has even produced a video teaching people to say hwah-way), Huawei is becoming an increasingly powerful global player, capable of going head-to-head with the best in intensely competitive markets. It follows Haier, which is already the leading white-goods-maker; now Lenovo is challenging Hewlett-Packard as the world's biggest PC-maker.
Chinese multinationals: Who's afraid of Huawei? | The Economist

Stop daydreaming og go out more often. :rofl:
It's growing in size because of local demand. The whole world over sees it as a data and IP thief. Just becoming big by sales does not mean it commands respect.

s002wjh

Country flag

e.g-
USA-Levi's jeans
UK-Guiness Beer
Japan-Sony
i dont know about that. i know many people love tsingdao beer

s002wjh

Country flag
haier make mini-fridge, electric wine cellar etc. and yes they have brand name here in US. goto costaco/sam club youll find some. most china brand can be seen in developing world, not much in developed world.
also alot low-mid tech products are chinese brand. for example, the wood plank floor used in US home building etc. also solar panel etc.

Jim Street

Country flag
If you're thinking that by migrating from paddy fields to the death camps of Foxconn means going out, then, thanks, but no thanks.
It's growing in size because of local demand. The whole world over sees it as a data and IP thief. Just becoming big by sales does not mean it commands respect.
Does it matter they are genuine or thief. Its business, you get it by hook or crook. They are not killing anyone to become leader unlike few sectors who endorse govts. to get their objectives met.

Lets see few examples of "theft":-

Microsoft "borrowed" concepts from Apple. You know what I mean.
Apple and Samsung are in patent war. Don't know who stole from whom.
Defense industries are too involved in theft of their competitors' technology, reverse engineering it.
You do remember case of Blackberry, don't you.?

Hostile takeovers do happen, just look at Arcelor-Mittal. Criticized by many.

List goes on and on. I am talking about multi-billion dollar industries involved in "theft" leave aside multi-million dollar industries.

In business sales mean everything, if you want respect start an NGO. (exception, no violence should be used)

Oracle

Those are corporations and I get your POV. I was talking about the stealing mindset of Chinese. Everything from Gucci bags, to Nike shoes, to even fake medicines are made in China. These people do'nt have any ingenuity. However much Huawei grows, it will still be behind market leader CISCO, just an example.

They have no ingenuity.

And cases like the war between Samsung and Apple is a stand out verdict, probably once in a life time. It's a no brainier that Chinese Govt. encourage stealing and copying.

Last edited:

Jim Street

Country flag
/\/\/\ Those are corporations and I get your POV. I was talking about the stealing mindset of Chinese. Everything from gucci bags, to Nike shoes, to even fake medicines are made in China. These people do't have any ingenuity. However much Huawei grows, it will still be behind market leader CISCO, just an example.
Exactly the point. They make cheap copies so what, now a villager can afford chinese phone with built in MP3 and video player, camera etc. In my college days, the janitors used to play songs and watch them. Don't buy these cheap copies but a poor person who wants to wear a jeans with Levis tag on it will buy the local product, he won't care, who will know if its original one or local jeans with tag from old original one. It serves the need of low income people. So these cheap copies company are one section while other companies lies in other section.

They will be behind many innovative companies unless they start making their own innovation but look at the process of an inception of a company. It starts with cheap copies. they stole technology but didn't make a look-alike of the original company, got profit then invested in their own research division, bringing changes in existing technology. No need to reinvent the wheel. Indians are so hell-bent on indigenous production that they learn and make things all by themselves rather than learning from others. Don't reverse engineer and make same product, but at least grasp the technology others have.

The innovative companies already have huge lead but to close the gap, you have to take certain measure to become a global player. 5 years ago I won't tell my enemy to by Samsung phone but I myself have Samsung tab and funny thing is my Motorola Droid is worst of all phone I have ever bought whereas Samasung Galaxy Note is worth the money.

Last edited:

Oracle

Exactly the point. They make cheap copies so what, now a villager can afford chinese phone with built in MP3 and video player, camera etc. In my college days, the janitors used to play songs and watch them. Don't buy these cheap copies but a poor person who wants to wear a jeans with Levis tag on it will buy the local product, he won't care, who will know if its original one or local jeans with tag from old original one. It serves the need of low income people. So these cheap copies company are one section while other companies lies in other section.

They will be behind many innovative companies unless they start making their own innovation but look at the process of an inception of a company. It starts with cheap copies. they stole technology but didn't make a look-alike of the original company, got profit then invested in their own research division, bringing changes in existing technology. No need to reinvent the wheel. Indians are so hell-bent on indigenous production that they learn and make things all by themselves rather than learning from others. Don't reverse engineer and make same product, but at least grasp the technology others have.

The innovative companies already have huge lead but to close the gap, you have to take certain measure to become a global player. 5 years ago I won't tell my enemy to by Samsung phone but I myself have Samsung tab and funny thing is my Motorola Droid is worst of all phone I have ever bought whereas Samasung Galaxy Note is worth the money.
You got a point. But I don't want that to be applied to Indian companies. They have a reputation. And money too. US is # 1 because they spend billions in R & D. Indian spends little or nothing on R & D. And that has to do with the size of the economy. India doesn't have that much money to invest 100s of billions in R & D, but that doesn't mean stealing should be encouraged. China with all it's cheap manufacturing industry, however goliath it becomes, will always play second fiddle to US. While we'll be catching up with our own indigenous efforts.

Jim Street

Country flag
You got a point. But I don't want that to be applied to Indian companies. They have a reputation. And money too. US is # 1 because they spend billions in R & D. Indian spends little or nothing on R & D. And that has to do with the size of the economy. India doesn't have that much money to invest 100s of billions in R & D, but that doesn't mean stealing should be encouraged. China with all it's cheap manufacturing industry, ho Reply Multi-Quote This MessageMultiQuote Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst Previous 123
[Pin It]
wever goliath it becomes, will always play second fiddle to US. While we'll be catching up with our own indigenous efforts.
What i am really saying is copy the existing technology and then introduce your own R&D. India is working forward to electronic chips manufacturing but that doesn't mean I reinvent the transistor or the architecture. Private companies especially the start ups are trying to innovate and make their own product. Govt. is now paying attention on R&D funding and new technological institutes. Handsome salary is also one issue. The reason Americans are innovative is their education system. We have to start top-down approach to make our education system better. Most of the top engineering and management institutes don't compromise on quality. Its damn hard for an Indian person to get a job in IIT as a teaching faculty if he has done his studies in India. They prefer those who have done it in top world universities. I am talking about current scenario.

Let me quote you an example. My professor published a paper on Artificial rain making. What did the Chinese do ? They took the concept and published another paper by using statistics etc. Now here comes the way India and China will follow. China already uses the artificial rain making process for avoiding droughts.

As a researcher we don't like Chinese, you innovate new idea, they publish 3 or more papers on our paper by adding few variables or using other methods. The benefit they get, they now know what will be the best approach or to say optimal approach. That's how they are getting ahead.

What I want is that Indian companies should maintain their reputation and business ethics but at the same time don't get to egoistical. I remember one of the high ranking Air official asking DRDO to innovate, steal or do anything but just give AESA radar ASAP.

May be we need a separate thread on Innovation, Education System and RD.

Last edited:

Oracle

/\/\/\ Lol, transistor and it's architecture is already in books for decades. But yeah, I get your point. :D

Jim Street

Country flag
/\/\/\ Lol, transistor and it's architecture is already in books for decades. But yeah, I get your point. :D
:rofl:....yeah but it shows mindset of most of the Indians. We will start from the very beginning or won't build at all. I used to bang my head whenever i witnessed this mentality. but there is one another point, if you start from very beginning, you may sometime get way better thing or innovation in another field. :laugh:

I remember if you use frequency in GHz, diode used in an RC circuit (freq. depending on characteristics of other devices ), shows butterfly effect. Now this lead to non-linear dynamics based or chaotic system based data communication which is much secure than previous one. So in a way, a person who was playing with a diode and frequency generator and watching CRO all time, came up with a major breakthrough. :hail:

I mean this is how inventions are done. :D

Last edited:

ice berg

:rofl:....yeah but it shows mindset of most of the Indians. We will start from the very beginning or won't build at all. I used to bang my head whenever i witnessed this mentality. but there is one another point, if you start from very beginning, you may sometime get way better thing or innovation in another field. :laugh:
The obvious question is how you exactly measure that? How you know you have succeeded or not. I noticed you didnt give any exemples either. After all you had what, 6 decades after your independence?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles